A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Mystery Postals?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #967321 by IrishRef
Oct 24, 2018 9:34pm
Thread Board
I had a good run of successes this year solving your mysteries. A couple where I should have guessed but didn't think that my answer could possibly be right and I would have been! The Jeep one I got pretty quick.

Curious, do you plant the stamps after them being postals?
Re: water color pencils
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #967322 by condo
Oct 24, 2018 9:36pm
Thread Board
We use watercolor pencils pretty frequently for LTCs. I’ve also used watercolor paints in the past. In my opinion a coating is not necessary. However there are any number of spray fixatives that will work.

For illustration work I’ve used Krylon Workable Fixatif with good results.
Haunted, another Netflix Original Series
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Oct 24, 2018 10:11pm
Board
Between the exceptional Haunting of Hill House to the not yet viewed by this author Malevolent, Netflix is in full swing this spooky, haunting season.

One of Netflix's new releases is Haunted, a 6 episode series where the victim/survivor finally shares his/her horror/ghost story to family and friends surrounding them.

The first episode is The Lady In White. A man explains his horrible experience to a woman who killed her own children in an apartment and this man, as a young boy, moves the very next week into the very apartment. She in turn terrorizes him. And to make matters worse, his own parents not only don't care, he gets abused for trying to tell them about it.

Okay, yes. He seems credible. Even the people the around him, who initially sit stone-faced, start to feel this poor guy's pain.

Okay. Sure. He's telling the truth. I watch a lot of shows regarding people sharing/reliving their ghost experiences. Ghosts are real. This I believe.

This episode lasts about 24 minutes, so sure, click to the next episode. The next episode is called Slaughterhouse.

A woman named Terrilyn shares how growing up in Up State New York, in the woods, their house was built on Indian Burial grounds and how her father was a serial killer and her mother assisted. Her father would go to the bars and bring home "strays", innocent people that no one would notice if they go missing. And then, her dad would kill them and bury the bodies in the woods somewhere.

The episode goes on to show who even a grandson is subjected to the grandfather/father's abuse. And here I am like Um, no. Never in hell if I actually managed to escape slaughterhouse would I ever allow my precious child to alone with my father/serial killer.

But then it gets worse. This very same grandson inherits the house after the family claims the mom smothers the dad with a pillow--because the voices in the house told her to do it-- and the grandson explains how he orders a dumpster and guts the house of his grandfather's trophies...... trophies--items, like jewelry, he collected from his victims over the years of killing. And here I am like, Um, no. What you have done is criminal.

And now I am appalled! Just flat out appalled. I don't know who thought this episode was a wise idea but it's not. If this episode is true, then these people, especially the grandson, should be taken to jail for withholding evidence in a crime.

First episode, I thought was probably true. But this episode, I am saying "no" for it is disgusting and vulgar, and Netflix has used some poor judgement.

No Kitty Paw reviews for this crude, gimmicky show.

csk
Oct 24, 2018 10:19pm
Thread Board
I want to try some LTCs with water color pencils. I have never used them before and want to know if there is a product to use to seal them so they are not damaged by humidity and moisture. Any suggestions?

I haven't sealed watercolors (or watercolor pencils), but I did with an LTC colored by chalk (because it would easily rub off). I used a clear coat from a spray can. It seemed to work, and the card still looks fine.
Re: Michael
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #967316 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 25, 2018 1:35am
Thread Board
It just so happens that my house has a main panel about 20 yards from the house, so I was able to put the 220V plug out there. That gets the generator a bit farther away -- a good thing, since they are noisy.

You can monitor the progress of the power company restoring power by going outside at night and listening for the drone of portable generators in the distance.
Re: Michael
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #967316 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 25, 2018 1:37am
Thread Board
The generator I bought has a metal fuel tank. I saw a couple others in the back of somebody's pickup truck, and they had plastic fuel tanks. I wish mine had a plastic fuel tank! This thing is probably going to sit for years before I need it again, and it'd be good to have a fuel tank that doesn't rust.
Re: Antique Affect?
Reply to: #967319 by christmas6
Oct 25, 2018 4:41am
Thread Board
My blog is no longer.

I was going to suggest a similar aging technique though. If you take a dye ink like distress ink (I use a color called burlap), you can use a distress dauber or something similar to buff on a little color to age it. Then, if you like a little crackle glaze can have a nice effect.

FYI: If you paint the crackle on thin, you get lots of tiny crackles. If you paint it on thick, you get larger "chips" and deeper crackles.

Also, if you are going to use something wet like crackle, make sure you haven't used an ink that isn't waterproof for your stamping. The crackle may smear it.
When is a Postal Letterbox not Postal Letterbox?
Oct 25, 2018 4:44am
Thread Board
When it’s a pipe bomb. I can’t help but notice the similarities in packaging of the recent despicable occurances of fear mongering terriorists using the USPS for their nefarious actions. I think there will be a crackdown at our local POs 1) to confirm return addresses, and 2) making sure postage is correct and properly cancelled. I can’t be the only one who noticed there was only $3 worth of postage on a minimum $3.50 package and that the stamps weren’t cancelled.
Oct 25, 2018 4:44am
Thread Board
Humidity won't bother watercolor pencils.
Re: When is a Postal Letterbox not Postal Letterbox?
Reply to: #967332 by Jabber
Oct 25, 2018 4:49am
Thread Board
Maybe insufficient postage is why they were found. They must have come postage due.

Maybe micropostals will be better for a while.
Oct 25, 2018 5:51am
Thread Board
Thank you everyone for your comments!

condo
Re: When is a Postal Letterbox not Postal Letterbox?
Reply to: #967334 by LROSEM
Oct 25, 2018 7:00am
Thread Board
It is a really sad day when our fun hobby is affected by life threatening situations. What is wrong with people?? This world is going mad and all we are trying to do is create and spread the word on a fun filled family hobby... Just sad! :( Rant over!!
Reply to: #967324 by Phoenix Rizing
Oct 25, 2018 7:23am
Thread Board
Sometimes they are planted but many are just stored. If there are any someone would like to plant they are welcome to them.
Reply to: #967331 by LROSEM
Oct 25, 2018 7:25am
Thread Board
I was going to suggest Tim Holtz Crackle Paint in Rock Candy (clear). You paint it on, and then after it is dry you can take some distress ink (Vintage Photo works well) and rub it into the cracks to make it look aged. Like Laura said, thick paint for large and thinner for smaller cracks. Ranger also makes Crackle Accents but that is best for small areas. Both are sold on Amazon.
Alcohol related carves needed
Board: Stamp Swap
Oct 25, 2018 8:38am
Thread Board
Hey, I'm looking for carves for my New Beer's Eve event in the Spring of 2019. Hoping some of you are interested in carving your favorite beer logo, moonshine image, or historical figure.

If you're interested:
Link to Tracker
Reply to: #967321 by IrishRef
Oct 25, 2018 10:27am
Thread Board
Yay! We love your Mystery Postals. We don't always get to solve them because some are harder for us than others ;)
Looking forward to seeing more!
Thanks IrishRef!
Re: Alcohol related carves needed
Reply to: #967341 by MrOspital
Oct 25, 2018 11:01am
Thread Board
That is the most fantastic idea for an event ever, and I'm now very depressed that I cannot travel to such a thing.
Re: Product review
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #967075 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 25, 2018 12:25pm
Thread Board
I have both Tim Holtz stamp platforms and love them. If I didn't I would look into getting the new WRMK version. Their new platform is in two pieces that slide directly down on pegs, and once you buy the base they are supposed to have just the top part available for sale, so you could have different stamps on different tops.

https://www.wermemorykeepers.com/product/precision-press-advanced/

https://www.wermemorykeepers.com/product/acrylic-stamping-block/
Reply to: #967311 by 4 J's
Oct 25, 2018 12:36pm
Thread Board
What about Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium - Vintage?

IIRC, it is a coating that goes on top and has a vintage tint already in it, all one step. I haven't used it but remember watching a video when Tim was promoting it.
Hanging Kites from Come Fly a Kite Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Oct 25, 2018 3:11pm
Board
The clue for the Kites series has been updated as well their locations. 6 of the stamps went missing. The remaining 7 are now out to be found.

Ray and Susan
Happydaze
Illinois Bicentennial - my first Virtual Event
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Oct 25, 2018 4:58pm
Thread Board
Party Like It's 199 + 1 - Help us Celebrate the Illinois Bicentennial! This is my first virtual event and it has been a very good experience. So many boxes have been planted. In fact, 94 boxes have been planted in 10 states so far!

A very good letterboxing friend has challenged me to get 200 boxes planted before the end of 2018. I think I am going to need some help to get this accomplished. I hope you might be interested in signing up for this virtual event and helping me reach the goal.
Re: Illinois Bicentennial - my first Virtual Event
Reply to: #967358 by TeachJR
Oct 25, 2018 4:59pm
Thread Board
Link?
Reply to: #967359 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 25, 2018 5:08pm
Thread Board
The event is:

Party Like It's 199 + 1 - Help us Celebrate the Illinois Bicentennial!
Reply to: #967360 by TeachJR
Oct 25, 2018 5:17pm
Thread Board
Peace Sanctuary Nature Preserve Boxes
Board: ct letterboxing
Oct 25, 2018 5:45pm
Board
While letterboxing at the Peace Sanctuary (Mystic, CT) today, we were stopped by a woman who questioned what we were doing. She said she was a member of the private group that owned the preserve, that she had seen letterboxes/"trash" in the preserve, but had never seen anyone there before. We showed her a clue that said "permission has been granted for letter boxers", and she said she doesn't recall any permission being given. Perhaps those who have planted here should consider (re)seeking permission, retrieving their boxes, or just wait and see what happens?
Peace Sanctuary Letter Boxes
Board: State: Connecticut
Oct 25, 2018 5:50pm
Thread Board
While letterboxing at the Peace Sanctuary (Mystic, CT) today, we were stopped by a woman who questioned what we were doing. She said she was a member of the private group that owned the preserve, that she had seen letterboxes/"trash" in the preserve, but had never seen anyone there before. We showed her a clue that said "permission has been granted for letter boxers", and she said she doesn't recall any permission being given. Perhaps those who have planted here should consider (re)seeking permission, retrieving their boxes, or just wait and see what happens?
Re: Alcohol related carves needed
Reply to: #967341 by MrOspital
Oct 25, 2018 8:15pm
Thread Board
Don’t forget I also claimed Box Wine, the adult Capri Sun 😝 Bonus!
Reply to: #967311 by 4 J's
Oct 25, 2018 8:17pm
Thread Board
Thank you all for your ideas and tips! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts! You've all given me some great ideas! Now, it's time to shop and play.
Stormcrow is back in the LBing groove!
Board: Spokane Chitchat
Oct 25, 2018 8:43pm
Thread Board
Is anyone still active in Spokane, Eastern WA, North Idaho anymore? I am back into this hobby and plan on replanting some of my lost boxes and making some new ones...

stormy
Question regarding logging a find
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Oct 25, 2018 10:01pm
Thread Board
I was just asked this question by a fellow letterboxer and had no idea of the answer so I thought I would get input here.

I know it’s considered bad form to log your own hides (for obvious reasons) but...

Suppose someone asks you to donate a stamp to them to put out. You mail them the stamp. They supply the container and logbook, name it, hide it in the wild and list you as the carver. Then at a later date you are in the area and seek it out and find it. Should/could you list that as a find?

DZ