Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Must get boxes in Norfolk, VA beach area or on the way up?
Board: State: Virginia
Oct 3, 2018 4:44pm
Thread Board
Hello Virginia boxers,

SoccerGirl02 and I will be in the Norfolk/VA beach area for a soccer tournament this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations on any must get boxes in the area (or LBs we should try for on the way up). Anyone else’s kids playing in the tournament? My daughter is playing at Lake Taylor high school if anyone is close enough to meet up for an exchange.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Take care,

Outdoorsoccer and SoccerGirl02
New Tracker Dedicated to Endangered Animals
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Oct 3, 2018 6:26pm
Thread Board
Hey Everyone,

I've just open a new tracker dedicated to Endangered Animals. If this is something you're interested in, I'd encourage you to join!!!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=9987
Re: wintergreen transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #966341 by PI Joe
Oct 3, 2018 7:16pm
Thread Board
How does a cold iron work with the wintergreen transfer? Is it just a matter of wetting the image with wintergreen and rubbing it on??
Re: Must get boxes in Norfolk, VA beach area or on the way up?
Reply to: #966359 by Outdoorsoccer
Oct 3, 2018 7:29pm
Thread Board
Doumars!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #966364 by Phoenix Rizing
Oct 3, 2018 7:37pm
Thread Board
The iron is unnecessary. After applying the WEO sparingly (!!) to the transfer, I put a piece of dry copy paper over it and press firmly with the heel of my hand. The paper absorbs excess oil, and the pressure ensures good contact.
Need Chattanooga suggestions
Board: State: Tennessee
Oct 3, 2018 8:29pm
Thread Board
Coming to visit next weekend with family (preteen, teen kids). Planning to camp. Would love to hear
*best place to camp (easy hiking & boxing a priority)
*best local, non-chain eateries
*don't miss, off beaten path attractions

Any help?
Re: Thought for today
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #966333 by Sleeps In Socks
Oct 3, 2018 8:47pm
Thread Board
Shouldn't there be a "comb-over" mentioned somewhere in that?????

There wasn't even a "comb-over" mentioned in "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat". Perhaps They didn't bring it up in the meetings.

It was just as funny as when "Murphy Brown" skewered Hillary Clinton on their premier episode this season. The best thing is that they actually got Hillary Clinton to skewer herself.
Re: Need Chattanooga suggestions
Reply to: #966370 by All 4 Bama
Oct 3, 2018 9:46pm
Thread Board
Recommend looking through the blog that I sent you for a grab bag of hikes across the island.

Boxing here is not great, just straight answer. Boxes are not maintained and are placed in terrible hiding locations. So I can't really recommend great boxing spots.

As far as camping, Keaiwa Heaiu State Recreation Area in Aiea: centrally located, nearby trails with a partial series.

You're already familiar with Kaena Point (based on your boxes there)

Windward you have Ho'omaluhia Botanical gardens

If you have military access recommend Bellows AFB for beach camping.

Not really sure about North Shore.

Leeward....Dont recommend camping anywhere near the beach. Not a great location for overnighting unless you go all the way to Kaena Point, then you might be fine.

If youre into backpacking...or dirt roading...Peacock Flats in the Waianaes is a nice road hike (see the blog) Or you could get a pass to go drive through the Mokuleia Forest Reserve.

Hope thats a start.

V/r
Squatchis
Reply to: #966359 by Outdoorsoccer
Oct 4, 2018 3:32am
Thread Board
The Virginia Beach Library series of boxes are top notch. All library branches have "approved" boxes in them. Not all branches are open on weekends, however, so it's best to look up branch hours of operation before heading that way.

Good luck on the tournament.
Al (BBStacker)
Re: Looking for suggestions of where to eat
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #966322 by mudflinginfools
Oct 4, 2018 5:03am
Thread Board
King of Prussia Town Center, has some really good choices.
Philly, Johns Roast Pork,14 East Synder Ave. for cheese steaks. Stay away from cheesesteak corner at all costs. Go to Johns trust me.
When are you in the Philly area?
Re: Need Chattanooga suggestions
Reply to: #966370 by All 4 Bama
Oct 4, 2018 5:25am
Thread Board
The Enterprise South Nature Park is pretty cool. I was there a few years ago and got many letterboxes.
Reply to: #966365 by Amanda from Seattle
Oct 4, 2018 5:31am
Thread Board
I just looked up that LB and it looks great. Thanks for the suggestion Amanda.

Take care,

ODS and SoccerGirl02
Reply to: #966374 by BBStacker
Oct 4, 2018 5:39am
Thread Board
Hi BBstacker,

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked up a few of them and they sounded very neat. Thank you for the advice about the library hours. I will double-check and make sure they are open before heading out to find the LBs.

I will relay your well wishes to my daughter. She is very excited about the tourney. Thank you for them.

Take care,

ODS and SoccerGirl02
Happy Anniversary Sorefeet
Oct 4, 2018 5:53am
Board
Enjoy your cake today. See you on the trail later this am. It's a beautiful day and maybe we'll catch some fall colors and a few boxes.
yesterday
Board: State: North Carolina
Oct 4, 2018 6:54am
Board
did a little MOTORCYCLE LETTERBOXING
with friend LowLola
today

we went to two locations in Mocksville
(about a 50 mile one way ride)

Thank you JEEPERS

great day

Dixie Darlin'
Taylorsville NC
Recommendations for lighted magnifying lamps, please
Oct 4, 2018 7:47am
Thread Board
My carving lamp seems to want to give up the ghost. I got it at Michaels. I think it’s this one:
https://www.michaels.com/playlist%2Fshop-by-age-5-7/10120398.html

Anyway, it works OK (in terms of light and magnification) but it’s cheaply made and the plastic housing for the stand clamp broke and I’m having hold it together with duct tape. A couple of the plastic arm tighteners also broke and I had to replace them with metal nuts. Overall it’s crappy and feel like I wasted $40.

I’m in the market for a new one but I don’t want to repeat this experience. So I’m hoping for suggestions from the carving masses. I’d like to have a 2 - 3 power lens (I think, looking at the Michaels listing it appears I have a 1.75 power now. [* see side rant below]). And good lighting. I found many online but they get pretty pricey real quick so I’m looking for a good value as well.

Thanks.

*Side rant: why must they give the magnification in diopter only? Would it kill them to just say 2x or 3x? It’s frustrating to have to find a conversion chart every time I find a possible candidate.
Re: Letterboxing at a Scouting event in Michigan
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #966232 by Cross Family
Oct 4, 2018 8:01am
Thread Board
It was at Camp Gerber in West Michigan. the 12 stamps were spread out over the whole camp. it was only scouts and their families. they stamped on 1 sheet and he collected them all so he knows how many people found the stamps...I'm sure there was a lot of slackboxing going on.
Re: Recommendations for lighted magnifying lamps, please
Reply to: #966382 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 4, 2018 8:37am
Thread Board
I use a folding Ott light for lighting and readers over the top of my trifocals for magnification. I find this works better for me with regards to work space and logistics. if I need stronger readers, they are cheaper to replace than a lighted magnifier.
Reply to: #966339 by west dover quidditch team
Oct 4, 2018 8:56am
Thread Board
Yes I found that but didn’t see wintergreen as a reference.
Oct 4, 2018 8:57am
Thread Board
I went on Amazon and found one of those cheap Chinese magnifying desk lights, for under $25. The bulb burnt out years ago and was not easily replaceable, so I have 2 small lamps positioned on either side of it, one of which is a clamp on gooseneck. The magnifying lens has a small area with a higher magnification on it.
Basically, something like this. I actually prefer having the light separate from the lens because I can adjust each of them to my hearts desire. I've been using it for about 6 years now, and I am happy with it.
Re: Raffle prize ideas
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #965944 by brailleboxer
Oct 4, 2018 9:47am
Thread Board
Bottle of adult beverage went over really well this last raffle i had. In fact i had 3 bottles to raffle off and they were won by the same person!

deniserows
with a beer
Reply to: #966386 by dancingpecan
Oct 4, 2018 9:50am
Thread Board
OTT light all the way they have one with a mag glass on the top - usually cheaper at Joanna and use a coupon ! If no mag on the light and you use some kind of jewelers glasses. For sure still go with an ott light - take that advice from the blind girl .... great lighting the only way I can still do things
Oct 4, 2018 10:10am
Thread Board
I'm not a good person to advise on carving... only hacked one, and it's my avatar... and sig. Only found 2... one AQ and one geo / lb hybrid.

Anyway, I do do lots of close up work, soldering and inspecting things...

I have several hand held mags, and one I do recommend to people who do such things... I know it by the name Aunt Mary's Sewing Magnifier... has (at least mine does) one large diameter lens and one smaller lens... they are part of the clear plastic handle that comes with a cord to suspend it on your chest while working... Although I often mount a bracket to the handle to support it while working... I do like the separate light source concept... also use third hand devices to hold things. Would not surprise me to find Michael's has them... very adaptable with what I find to be good magnification. If they don't have it, try sewing shops or your local optician... (I used to be that guy).. Also like the head mounted magnifiers... but can't say the old lighting ones were desireable... but with led lamps might be worth it... for really close up work... much depends on the job and the operator.

As for the Power vs Magnification ratings... I like to know the Power in diopters... but don't care if it is provided on a magnifier... same for the magnification rating... but then I know how to quickly rate them by looking through the lens... not hard.
A one diopter lens will focus light at a distance of one metre... a two diopter lens at 1/2 metre or about 20 inches, plain glass is 0... you can get a rough idea by taking the magnifier into sunlight and see how far you go to focus it. that's 1 / diopter for distance in metres.. or meter if you like.

Magnification is also simple, it's just the measure of how big something appears in relation to how the real object appears. So take something that you can see in and out of the lens, say a white horizontal line on a wall (or black tape) then look through the lens half in half out... if the line is twice as wide in the lens as on the wall, you have 2x, three times is 3x and so on.. try turning the lens 90 degrees left or right... it should still be the same, otherwise you probably don't want to use it... I could go on and on.
I use the same type of test using straight line over head lights to judge the curves on lenses of all types, say mags or cheap sunglasses, but it's a bit fancier... reflection shows a known straight line, but will due to curvature of the lens show it as curving. However the curve is a steady curve, you don't want wiggles in the curve... curves on both sides of the lens are what create the power... and it should not change greatly over the whole surface or you get power that changes... for example, cheap sunglasses should be made for 0 power for the normal person. Over small areas of the surface, the deformations can change the power quite a bit an from + to - as well.
Older people like me find that very upsetting at times but never find out the why... one reason we used to encourage people keep their old bifocals and have them coated into driving sun glasses... oh and the power of the old reading segment has changed enough to not work for reading at arm length, but works well for the distance of your dashboard instruments in the intermediate zone... anyway anyone who wants more of my rants can PM... I'll opine if I can... but I did retire many years ago so I'm rusty on really technical... rough explanations and a pointing finger I can attempt.

Oh,my admittedly poor carve was an old eraser with a medium xacto straight blade... if you think it is messed up, you should have seen my fingers... ouch.
Re: New Tracker Dedicated to Endangered Animals
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #966362 by AdventurousAcorn
Oct 4, 2018 10:23am
Thread Board
If anyone in your LTC tracker would be interested in donating/loaning out their Endangered Animal STAMP after they are done with it, I'd love to borrow it for our big animal themed event next September! We will have a trail just for endangered animals and would love stamps from all over!

We have a stamp tracker out for the event: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9978

Please feel free to spread the word to those in your LTC group!

Sincerely,
Super Hedge Hoggie (Sarah)
Re: live & breathe from PA
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #966316 by lotus
Oct 4, 2018 10:54am
Thread Board
I’ll arrive Thursday evening. At this point I have no idea what time.
Oct 4, 2018 11:09am
Thread Board
I have an OTT light(actually, I have 2) , which has a very strong light and also a magnifier. I cannot carve without it, period. I think the model number is, reading it from the bottom of my lamp, PL 7972. It sits on my desk, and both the light and the magnifier are each on their own "snake-y" neck, alling me to adjust to any level or angle. *LOVE!* One of the best investments I've ever made....got it at JoAnne's.
Happy AQversary cherryontop
Oct 4, 2018 11:16am
Thread Board
9 years!

We'll miss you, but I know the Texas LB community will take good care of you.
Re: Happy AQversary cherryontop
Reply to: #966394 by MrOspital
Oct 4, 2018 11:34am
Thread Board
Here's hoping for new and exciting letterboxing adventures in your new life!!
Secret Stamp Santa
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Oct 4, 2018 11:41am
Board
Hi everyone!

The annual Secret Stamp Santa tracker is open for sign-ups! All info is on the tracker, but basically you carve a stamp, mail the stamp to an address I will send you, and then you'll receive a stamp from a random person.

Please send me your address when you sign up. That helps me a lot.

Let me know if you have any questions.

TG
Portland OR Dinos unfound!
Board: State: Oregon
Oct 4, 2018 11:42am
Thread Board
Hi folks,

I checked the etiquette and this post seems ok... I am just so curious why people have found my plants, but no one in PDX has gone to find multiple of my husband's (L'Aquasox - I'm more active on here).

It's the Drunken Dinos "Series" (not a series but individual themed boxes). We are placing them around and in local breweries. I didn't know if it was somehow offensive to people that we are referencing drinking (though in Portland, I feel like most topics aren't off limits), or if it's just luck that people haven't gone to find them...

Anyway, this post is kind of a PLEASE GO LOOK WE LOVE FINDERS!!/Can anyone point me to problems with our box postings that would prevent people from wanting to go? We are newer to planing (within the last year).

Thanks all! Love this community!

LeKiraSox