A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: on line voting
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #965186 by Crazyolis
Sep 11, 2018 1:48pm
Thread Board
The atlanta roller girls use to use Survey Monkey for board position elections and various other votes. It let you vote on up to six options and was fairly tamper proof-certainly more tamper proof that having candidates count the votes. I dont think it is free, but it is likely to be cheap.
You could also require in person voting with marbles in jars and then just weigh the jars, which can be reused indefinitely. (This is how we elected folks in scouts...)
Re: Box of the Month
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #965156 by BinoBoxer
Sep 11, 2018 2:02pm
Thread Board
Yup!

BB
Re: How to resolve a clue riddle
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #965143 by prbruja
Sep 11, 2018 2:22pm
Thread Board
The answer is 42.
Re: Possible Event fall 2019 in so cal feedback needed
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #965182 by Baqash
Sep 11, 2018 2:23pm
Thread Board
Camping would be fri for those who want plus sat ...
Possible hitch hiker
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Sep 11, 2018 2:52pm
Thread Board
I was at a Sept.8 birthday party in Michigan,found A stamp inside a sandwich bag inside a letter box.....Happy Green Guy!....no log book,no Aq #, now the party is over and I can't find the Stamp/ hh online,and Several party attendees never saw it.....
I'm very interested in finding out what I came across.......
Good news and Bad news
Sep 11, 2018 3:04pm
Thread Board
Good news. Our 9 yo grandson has asked to get involved in letterboxing, including carving. In part this may have been prompted by seeing the wonderful Harry Potter carves from the recent Oregon Harry Potter event.

Bad news: Grumpy Grinch May be back in the saddle soon. We are off to Alaska (again) this week; but when we return. we will start gearing up.
Re: Good news and Bad news
Reply to: #965193 by Grumpy Grinch
Sep 11, 2018 3:21pm
Thread Board
Grumpy Grinch May be back in the saddle soon.

WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Sep 11, 2018 5:11pm
Thread Board
Sweet. You e been missed
Re: Possible hitch hiker
Reply to: #965192 by Cross Family
Sep 11, 2018 5:12pm
Thread Board
Maybe this one. Box #177154. Look at the view finds and they are MI with the last one being Sept 8th.
Sep 11, 2018 5:36pm
Thread Board
We’ve missed you guys! And bring on the next generation!

Yosemite
Sep 11, 2018 6:07pm
Thread Board
Definitely use survey monkey. Certain features are free and you can make it anonymous.
Sep 11, 2018 6:23pm
Thread Board
Doesnt it seem strange that the ballots go to someone who is on the list?

That is very strange. Imagine if the 2016 presidential election were counted by the (then) current president and CC'd to the Secretary of State for accounting purposes. Or you could reverse (as in political parties) it if you like.

Now imagine trying to get the incumbent of your local election to change how the voting is done.
Sep 11, 2018 6:26pm
Thread Board
Our 9 yo grandson has asked to get involved in letterboxing, including carving.

If you're at all worried about him carving, try these.
Re: New postal ring- Fall Fun
Board: Postals
Reply to: #965158 by BaliWho
Sep 11, 2018 6:37pm
Thread Board
Oooooooh, shoot! It’s already full? I’ve been wanting to get into a postal ring too. Please remember me if anyone backs out. 😕. Unless you can take an 11th person....🧐. Can’t hurt to ask. 🙂
Re: New postal ring- Fall Fun
Board: Postals
Reply to: #965205 by Nurse Wanderseek
Sep 11, 2018 7:17pm
Thread Board
I added you. I was thinking 12, but wondered if that would take too long? I wouldn't want it to go through Christmas!

I revised it to 12, so 1 space left!
Sep 11, 2018 7:24pm
Thread Board
If that's bad news ---"Please sir, could I have more."
Sep 11, 2018 10:23pm
Thread Board
That’s awesome! Three cheers for Potter-fanatic 9 year olds!

This really made our day.

~Nature Hikers
... who are still waiting for the “bad” news. :-)
Reply to: #965201 by live4thepast
Sep 12, 2018 3:23am
Thread Board
Can you limit it to one person, one vote?
If I have six e-mail addresses, can I vote six times?
Does SM have a way to limit it to specific addresses and one vote per address?
Sep 12, 2018 3:33am
Thread Board
Q1: How large is the voting pool?
Q2: Could it be done the same way as when I get a proxy vote in the mail?
Everyone gets, via US post office, a ballot with the choices.
There's a postage paid envelope included for the ballot to be returned to a mailbox, not a person.
It's clearly stated "Vote For Not More Than One Person" per position.
Ballot will be invalidated if photocopied or otherwise altered.
One ballot per envelope, or every ballot in envelope is voided.
A custom made stamp (a la letterboxing stamp) will be on every ballot to avoid reproduction.
Reply to: #965211 by Grrly Girl
Sep 12, 2018 3:35am
Thread Board
good point. Though if all the sudden there were 25 votes it would look suspicious....there are usually only a handful of voters anyway. Its just gotta be a way that there is no possible tampering. (enough of that in the real world)

If not survey monkey, I think I may insist on in person voting....come to a meeting, fill out a form and put it in a hat and then be counted! Boom done! Old school sometimes is the better way to go.
Reply to: #965185 by KO
Sep 12, 2018 5:17am
Thread Board
I personally don’t go after boxes that have annoying puzzles that need to be solved. These are not “fun” and I’ve found owners are not going to be forthcoming with any hints. Had one owner tell me that if I couldn’t figure it out, too bad, and that I needed to just sit and read the clues until they made sense. Well needless to say those clues went right into the trash. I work full time and if I’m going boxing I don’t have time to sit down and try to figure them out. My time is limited so I’m going after boxes that I can actually read the clue.
Reply to: #965214 by Sirius Star Gazer
Sep 12, 2018 7:47am
Thread Board
I work full time and if I’m going boxing I don’t have time to sit down and try to figure them out. My time is limited so I’m going after boxes that I can actually read the clue

Perfect example of the principle: "Not all boxes are for everyone."
I thoroughly enjoy a cleverly-created puzzle, and the satisfaction that comes with solving it and finding the treasure....
Re: Possible Event fall 2019 in so cal feedback needed
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #965173 by brailleboxer
Sep 12, 2018 8:28am
Thread Board
We were just talking about how much fun a camping letterbox event would be.

It depends a lot on the kids schedules, but we we love to try and get down there for an event.
Sep 12, 2018 8:37am
Thread Board
You can always ask me about my own clues, and I will point you in the right direction so you can solve it. That's one way to learn about decoding if you don't magically "see" the solutions (and I sure don't). Once I got a little hint from one owner, I could do one style. Then I learned another one. I absolutely HATED encoded clues until that first kind boxer helped me get started, so I will help anyone who asks me about one of my clues.

Please remember this, all you interested readers ~ we don't share encoded clue solutions or methods on someone else's box, and we don't ask previous finders for help. It puts them on the spot because they know they shouldn't help, and they sometimes wish they could. It's awkward.

Ask the owner/planter/responsible party ~ just be willing to accept the answer you get ~ or none.
Reply to: #965203 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 12, 2018 8:39am
Thread Board
Wow, those would've been 'grate' back when I was a kid scraping the skin off my knuckles with the vegetable grater we got from the horse-drawn street vender. Wow, I'm really feeling old--do I really remember that or was it a dream?
Sep 12, 2018 9:09am
Thread Board
I give hints.
Rarely does anyone ask.
I want my boxes to be found.
Letterboxers Are Great People
Sep 12, 2018 9:12am
Thread Board
Two stories to highlight how great letterboxers are:

1. Hartx6 & son rescued an injured barred owl on the road near them at night. Tried to find a rehab facility near them but couldn't. Matt and his son drove 3 hours to bring it to the rehab facility where I volunteer. And this was after his full driving workday! And then the return trip! Owl is doing ok so far; pretty hard hit by car.
2. Visiting out of state and fortunate to spend time with Gypsy Fiddlers and 3 friends boxing all around Castle Rock CO. They did a great job of planning, planting and spending the day!

Letterboxers are amazing!!!!
Re: Georgia Ladies are coming to Asheville this month!
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #965151 by MoSas-n-Bits
Sep 12, 2018 9:17am
Thread Board
next month for a weekend of boxing and were hoping to have a mini meet Saturday, September 22nd.

Y'all probably figured this out, but it's already September, and we'll be there next weekend. BYO boat
Re: Letterboxers Are Great People
Reply to: #965222 by CorvidaeBlue
Sep 12, 2018 9:27am
Thread Board
Kudos to Hart26 & son (and facility for accepting the owl).
Sep 12, 2018 9:28am
Thread Board
I've solved a number of mystery and riddle clues, and I do enjoy the challenge, up to a point. But if my brain is getting ready to explode, I move on to another box. I am fortunate to have a large number of boxes of various types within finding distance.