Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Custom patches?
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #963841 by Open Space
Aug 24, 2018 3:07pm
Thread Board
I can't seem to be able to email them, I got the mailer-daemond. I also sent a quote request, but got nothing.

:(
Re: Fake-rock key holder with tiny planters pouch?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #964244 by Quarry
Aug 24, 2018 4:22pm
Thread Board
How do you feel about making your own fake rocks the exact size you need? I know of two planters who have made their own wonderful and creative hiding spots for their stamps and logbooks, one in Florida and one, I think was in Nevada. There are tutorials online for doing this.
Reply to: #964351 by Janila
Aug 24, 2018 4:46pm
Thread Board
I like the idea, and have made fake rocks/caves for a gecko'd habitat, but also the plastic ones are on sale at the dollar store at the moment.
Stamp exchange
Board: State: Michigan
Aug 24, 2018 5:56pm
Board
The Cross'family will be at Metro Cruise in Wyoming, Michigan on Saturday 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 28th St. And Buchanan Ave...at the Bank with a Small Cute dog if Anyone is interested in doing a Stamp Exchange!
Reply to: #964352 by Quarry
Aug 24, 2018 6:36pm
Thread Board
[...] the plastic ones are on sale at the dollar store at the moment.

Which dollar store? It may be one that we have near me.
Friday Distraction: Carving Gray
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Aug 24, 2018 6:42pm
Thread Board
How do you carve "gray" areas of a stamp? By this I mean areas that are between totally carved and uncarved.

I have tried carving lines and crosshatch. When I carved crosshatch (trying to get points) it just looked like dirt on the image. I have had much better luck carving (nearly) parallel lines to get a gray (shadow) effect.

What do you do? What type of success have you had? Any tips for those of us who haven't managed to do it right?
Re: Pigment- and Dye-based Inks
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #964314 by ecstaticUnicorns
Aug 24, 2018 7:21pm
Thread Board
I also use Lsushine, but I don't know is they work with embossing powder or not. Let me know if they are though!!!
Re: Blue Sun Soda LB
Board: State: Minnesota
Reply to: #964306 by ArtGekko
Aug 24, 2018 7:24pm
Thread Board
I could ask him for an indoor planting place for you?

Yes, please, ask!!
Aug 24, 2018 8:24pm
Thread Board
I’ve made two fake rocks and not are doing well in their busy locations.
Reply to: #964362 by Baqash
Aug 24, 2018 9:00pm
Thread Board
I’ve made two fake rocks and not are doing well in their busy locations.

I'm thinking you mean "both are doing well in their busy locations."
Faces Staring Back
Board: Yakking It Up
Aug 24, 2018 9:13pm
Board
I realize that this is a geocache, but I think that everyone should see this. It is somewhere in North Vancouver, BC.
Re: path tags - tag back for letterboxing
Reply to: #964340 by Open Space
Aug 24, 2018 11:18pm
Thread Board
That was me *wave*. :)

My initial thought was to include "which way is north" or something.
Re: Friday Distraction: Carving Gray
Reply to: #964358 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 25, 2018 12:51am
Thread Board
Like you, my best results have been with nearly parallel lines. I usually carve them with a miniaturized gouge, I have found that doing patches in different directions helps add the illusion of different angles.

This is an example of what I am talking about.The lines in his shirt, face, and hand don't all go in exactly the same direction.
Re: Most creative logbook you found or made?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #963978 by All 4 Bama
Aug 25, 2018 1:15am
Thread Board
For a pinup themed postal, I made a logbook that had a cutout keyhole in the cover, surrounded by paper that was cut to look like an ornate keyhole hardware. The overall cover had a wood grain print. Through the keyhole you could see a small portion of the stamped image.
Aug 25, 2018 2:21am
Thread Board
You can try scratching the area with coarse sandpaper. If you need to make just a narrow area gray, you can mask off the rest of the stamp with masking tape before scratching it with coarse sandpaper. I'm thinking just one good scratch would do it. You might, with practice, manage to vary the strength of the scratch to vary the darkness of the gray.
Aug 25, 2018 2:27am
Thread Board
Perhaps the best way to make a fake rock is to take a good letterbox container, a Lock 'N Lock or a screw-top jar or whatnot, and completely cover it with Great Stuff spray foam insulation. Slip a sheet of saran wrap or foil between the base and the lid before spraying so you can open it. It'll end up all lumpy, roughly rock-shaped. Then you can spray paint it with something in a light tan camo paint, or gray, or whatever color rocks are in your neighborhood.

You could conceivably use a glass jar for this job since the foam coating will protect it from breakage, and the glass would give it a bit more heft.
Over Night Event??? Maybe?
Aug 25, 2018 2:29am
Thread Board
Hey Letterboxers,
2018 has been a rough year for Bobbie and I (Katie). Lots of personal family issues that just kinda have put us in a slump. SO I wanna find a way to get us out of this negative and try for a positive end. I know kinda late in the year but hear me out....
I work at a hotel, and I was thinking of putting a small event on at the hotel. Hiding Stamps within the hotel, around the area of the hotel not a whole lot but enough, getting together with friend having a little dinner type thing and even staying overnight at a great rate... and having adult company kinda like a girls night, except a letterboxing night, anyone is welcome.
I wanna get some thought or feed back on if we did something small like this in maybe Late September, October. It would be Bring a dish to pass, If you wanted to donate stamps of sorts to hide all that fun stuff... Please let me know what you think... would you attend?

Thank you, Katie
Moms_Play
bees
Board: State: Connecticut
Aug 25, 2018 3:33am
Thread Board
Has anyone had a recent encounter with bees? by that I mean getting stung? I am not allergic but the local reaction brought me to tears for more than 3 days. I got stung in West Rock Ridge Park. I don't think it makes a difference where I got stung. My hand swelled to the size of a softball and the itching was intolerable.
Re: bees
Reply to: #964372 by burning feet
Aug 25, 2018 4:19am
Thread Board
Not recently but years and years ago letterboxing in Rocky Hill I got stung on the top of my right hand and had the same reaction. Then the next day I got stung on my left hand. I was a mess for awhile.
Aug 25, 2018 4:25am
Thread Board
That stinks! I've been stung a couple times this year while doing trail reroutes, and also had several near misses when I ran after seeing wasps suddenly appear. I had a similar reaction when I was a teenager - my whole arm swelled up terribly -- and it never happened again. No idea why. But I try to carry Benadryl just in case.

When off trail this time of year I'm on high alert for wasps in case I accidentally step on their ground nest, and I'm often using power tools, which gets them really angry. Their nest population grows all season, so by the end of summer there are hundreds of wasps in a single nest and these jerks give you no warning before they sting.
Re: discouraged
Reply to: #964154 by MamaFrog
Aug 25, 2018 4:56am
Thread Board
Adding to the suggestions- CARVE LARGER.

If you have a small stamp it will need little words and tiny letters.

That is where more important lighting, great carving material, transfer method and special tools will be required.

If you can't change any of those things, carving a larger stamp will require less detail and yield more legible carving.
Reply to: #964364 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 25, 2018 5:04am
Thread Board
I did Oberon. Phone typing with auto correct is not my forte.
Aug 25, 2018 5:47am
Thread Board
Last year yellow jackets made their home in my compost pile. This does not relate to an encounter letterboxing, however. But I share your woe. I had a very swollen hand, and yes, intolerable itching! In my youth I was stung on my scalp by a honey bee and my eyes swelled shut!! I am just grateful that I do not have the reaction whereby I would not be able to breathe.
Re: Over Night Event??? Maybe?
Reply to: #964371 by Moms_Play
Aug 25, 2018 5:53am
Thread Board
Sounds like a really fun idea to me. I'd definitely consider attending, depending on where it is and whether I'm free that weekend.
Re: Over Night Event??? Maybe?
Reply to: #964383 by Dawnkey
Aug 25, 2018 6:15am
Thread Board
this sounds fun. ... could an Ohio lb come and be tolerated of she lived and went to Michigan university before? :) (pending date and location!!) I need lb friends!!!
Re: Live and Breathe?
Board: State: California
Reply to: #964271 by Cherryontop
Aug 25, 2018 6:20am
Thread Board
i'll be there

deniserows
by L &B X, XV and now XX
Reply to: #964357 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 25, 2018 6:24am
Thread Board
Dollar tree. Also has very big erassers
Re: Custom patches?
Reply to: #964349 by photopam
Aug 25, 2018 7:01am
Thread Board
I'm sorry to hear that. They responded to me about a day after I submitted a quote request on their website.
http://www.moritzembroidery.com/

It seems to be a family business. Maybe something came up for them?
Aug 25, 2018 7:19am
Thread Board
I just finished carving an Abe Lincoln stamp and had the same problem. Got luck with the eyelid actually stamping gray, but other places like his lip and cheek weren't as effective.
Re: path tags - tag back for letterboxing
Reply to: #964366 by Peachfaced
Aug 25, 2018 7:57am
Thread Board
Hi Peachfaced! Thanks for responding on the pathtag forum. I like the idea of a logbook with a stamp, but I haven't found any graphics that we could use as is...it needs some design work.

any idea what the process is for getting a new tag back implemented? If it's based on volume we may have an issue. Even regional geocaching groups probably outnumber us on pathtag designs.