A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Best Pizza/food in Portland?
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #964115 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Aug 21, 2018 10:51am
Thread Board
Sizzle Pie, Blossoming Lotus, and Homegrown Smoker are some of my favorites.
Re: Small containers
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #964147 by MamaFrog
Aug 21, 2018 10:53am
Thread Board
I've used the smallest plastic spice jars from Kroeger's grocery stores.
Re: discouraged
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #964154 by MamaFrog
Aug 21, 2018 10:53am
Thread Board
Don't think of them as letters; think of them as shapes, the same as if you were carving a figure like a circle or a tree. Just follow the lines. When you're done, then you'll recognize them as letters. Also using a font with curves might help. Perception of them is more forgiving.
Aug 21, 2018 10:55am
Thread Board
google this:New Waterproof Plastic Container Key Money Phone Storage Box Case Holder Camping, Walmart sells them for around 5 dollars.

There is also a waterproof case for matches in the camping dept. around 5 dollars. bright orange

waterproof pill containers
Reply to: #964165 by MamaFrog
Aug 21, 2018 11:19am
Thread Board
Carving with an x-acto is actually not that hard. When you cut with a gouge, you are cutting out a rounded furrow. When you use an x-acto, you are going to cut each side of the furrow separately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBP4LwZfKH8 This video is a pretty good introduction on how to use an x-acto. She starts cutting around 1:50.

dp
Re: 2 boxes or 1???
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #964146 by Wronghat
Aug 21, 2018 11:27am
Thread Board
Though a HH doesn't count as a traditional find.
Aug 21, 2018 11:31am
Thread Board
Light, magnification, and a chunky, uniform font that doesn't have minuscule lines. I also find it helpful to turn the slab upside down so that it feels like I'm carving curves, not letters. I've never gotten the hang of gouge carving, though, so I use a knife for all but cleanup.
Reply to: #964161 by LROSEM
Aug 21, 2018 11:35am
Thread Board
Also, try some magnification/better lighting. They are a huge help.

I wholeheartedly agree!

I use a lamp very similar to this lamp. Simply using a bright light will cause constriction of the pupils and making it easier to focus. The magnification does help more, but you have to be careful because there isn't much room between the lense and the carving material.

I have even used a clip-on loupe for really fine detail. For me, at least, this fatigues my eyes quickly. I can only carve this way for at most 15 minutes at a time, so I just keep coming back to the detail.
Reply to: #964165 by MamaFrog
Aug 21, 2018 11:43am
Thread Board
Let's get together and I'll show you how I carve with an X-Acto.
Reply to: #964170 by dancingpecan
Aug 21, 2018 11:45am
Thread Board
I cannot believe that the video producer can carve a stamp while holding the carving medium!!!
Aug 21, 2018 11:47am
Thread Board
1. Good light and magnification.
2. Tiniest tools and sharp. (check with Kirbert to see if he can modify your tools.)
3. When I started carving for LTC's my carving improved dramatically. So practice, practice, practice.
(ps...I still use pencil transfer and gouges)
And letters still make me nervous!
Dollar Store Carving
Aug 21, 2018 11:55am
Thread Board
While watching a video on carving letters, I came across a video on
carving stamps with dollar store supplies. I found it interesting what can be done with just a local supplier.

P.S.: That was the Dollarama store. This is the Dollar Tree edition.
Reply to: #964171 by Angel and Demon
Aug 21, 2018 11:58am
Thread Board
So our forumula would now be:
1 container = 1 plant = 1 traditional find + 1 traveler find (if there is hitchhiker)
Aug 21, 2018 12:04pm
Thread Board
Hey, there! Don't feel so down in the dumps! I'm no "great" carver myself, but I can offer this perspective: Have you ever practiced for a sport? Or a musical instrument? Or sewing or needlework? Or cooking? Carving needs practice just like any other skill-the more you practice, with patience, and keep your goals realistic and simple....the more you WILL improve! I tell my violin students, "What is an expert? It's a person who is really good at something because they have so much EXPERIENCE!" Anyway, for me, I need these 4 basic "ingredients": 1.Practice, 2. Light, and 3.a great transfer, and 4.Tools that are sharp and comfortable for you. Without these things, my carves are just not to my standard of what I can be happy with from myself. I have also grasped the reality that I will probably never be a "master carver", and that I can be happy with what I CAN do-that really takes the pressure off! Just be happy with where you're at, and be positive and open-minded about your effort to progress-you've got this! :-)
Aug 21, 2018 12:22pm
Thread Board
Waterproof pill containers usually aren’t. Camping matchsticks containers are pretty good. If you know anyone with diabetes the strip containers are great.

https://img.thrfun.com/img/007/437/test_strip_container_l.jpg
Aug 21, 2018 12:23pm
Thread Board
Lots of useful information here! I want to add one thing-

s l o w

i t

d o w n !

I obviously have no idea how fast or slowly you carve, but when attempting fine details, I carve comically slow. If you rush through a carve, it shows.

I also want to echo that I began to improve a whole lot once I started doing LTCs. ::wide eyed:: Yes, jooooin us! ;)
Reply to: #964158 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 21, 2018 12:29pm
Thread Board
Definitely get the 1V miniaturized and sharpened. That helps a lot.
Aug 21, 2018 12:46pm
Thread Board
wonder if maybe I should just stick to hunting instead of teeing to be a carver

Please don't stop carving--I really like your signature stamp carving and would like to find letterboxes with that sort of thing in them.
Re: Dollar Store Carving
Reply to: #964177 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 21, 2018 1:13pm
Thread Board
Holy cow my eyes are sick from watching that camera at the beginning.

I was watching with no sound & it was odd trying to figure out what she might have been saying about the cutters after she had already cut the erasers. A lot of pointing going on. I'm going to have to watch it again with sound.

And it peeves me how easy they make carving with a cutter look. It hasn't been that easy for me.
Aug 21, 2018 2:22pm
Thread Board
I haven’t been letterboxing long (/ consistently) enough for much change in my carves, but as an artist, I’ve been there many, many times. Don’t give up!! The annoying thing about any art is that as you improve, you get better at recognizing flaws in your art. But! When you start seeing flaws, that means you’ll soon start fixing those mistakes. Frustration with art is just a sign that you’re improving! Soon you’ll be able to look back on past carves and see how much you’ve improved and how much you’re improving!
Reply to: #964170 by dancingpecan
Aug 21, 2018 2:25pm
Thread Board
Yep, she makes it look so easy. Maybe I'll have to try it again.
Reply to: #964186 by ecstaticUnicorns
Aug 21, 2018 2:59pm
Thread Board
We just saw the Da Vinci traveling exhibition today. Leonardo worked on Mona Lisa from 1503--1514 and was continuing it when he died. He had painted over two other images and was still not satisfied with what he had done. The Mona Lisa section of the exhibit makes the price of admission worthwhile. Frustration with one's creations is nothing new.
Reply to: #964136 by All 4 Bama
Aug 21, 2018 3:02pm
Thread Board
Two stamps, one container, one box.

If you have 50 stamps in that one container it's still one letterbox.

I see others have already replied. Don't care. Doing it anyhow. :)
Reply to: #964141 by NLW
Aug 21, 2018 3:06pm
Thread Board
It's really not a matter of opinion. If a single container with multiple stamps in it is listed as more than one box and admin sees it they will delete the additional listings.
Aug 21, 2018 3:27pm
Thread Board
What would you suggest using to hide a stamp that a little less than 1"? and where would you get it?

These are pretty small and still weatherproof. They fit in the small suet cages. Also, there is room for a small logbook.
Reply to: #964189 by MissMoon
Aug 21, 2018 4:02pm
Thread Board
Thanks! Never found a box with more than one in it (still relatively new), so I honesty want sure.
Reply to: #964190 by MissMoon
Aug 21, 2018 4:03pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the heads up. Always nice to have people that share info!
Reply to: #964164 by dancingpecan
Aug 21, 2018 4:19pm
Thread Board
Try different fonts

or write or print something in your own handwriting - large. Your hand may follow the shapes better if it's your own handwriting.
Reply to: #964192 by All 4 Bama
Aug 21, 2018 4:23pm
Thread Board
Thanks! Never found a box with more than one in it (still relatively new), so I honesty want sure.

It's great that you asked. :) Lots of people just charge ahead without asking about anything.
Blue Sun Soda LB
Board: State: Minnesota
Aug 21, 2018 5:21pm
Thread Board
The Blue Sun Soda LB is gone - a victim of road construction.

I love that store! I will *have* to carve another stamp and find another hiding spot.