Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Portsmouth NH /Southern Maine
Board: Region: Northeast
Apr 23, 2018 8:18pm
Thread Board
Looking for suggestions for quality boxes that are drive-by, indoors or short walks in Portsmouth NH, Kittery ME or Portland, ME.

Thank you in advance for advice.
The Ritual~ A Netflix Original
Board: Movie Moments
Apr 23, 2018 10:21pm
Thread Board
I stumbled upon this Netflix movie one night and noted it. I poked around some websites, trying to get a feel for the movie and after some hawing and hemming, tonight my husband and I sat down and watched it.

It begins with five friends having drinks at a pub and they are discussing their next bro-cation together. Leaving the pub, Luke, a rather sulky guy decides to step into a liquor store for some liquor and he is followed by his friend Rob (Robert). What follows next, haunts them all, especially Luke.

After this night, it cuts to 6 months later, when the men are trekking a trail somewhere in Sweden. As it happens, Dominique, the pegged overly dramatic one, stumbles and severely twists his knee. Refusing to be left behind and rescued, he pleads his case. The group decides to cut through the forest, leaving the trail, to cut time off their hike back to the lodge.

Naturally, it begins to rain. The men then seek cover in a strange, uninhabited cabin where they find a rather unsettling alter. Despite this, the men decide to sleep in the cabin and thus begins their trial of horrors.

"The Ritual" is based on a book written by Adam Nevill. It is a British film, shot in Romania, though the backdrop is Sweden. Since I did not recognize any of the actors, I checked their IMBD backgrounds. The main character Luke is played by Rafe Spall, best known to me as one of the Andys in "Hot Fuzz". Hutch, the toughest guy in the group, is portrayed by Robert James-Collier, Thomas Barrow to you "Downton Abby" fans.

Per Amazon, "The Ritual" is sitting at an average of 4 out of 5 stars. I would argue this is a bit high for me. It reminded me of a cross between "Blair Witch" (the original) and "The Hills Have Eyes" with a touch of the mystic. 3 Kitty Paws is the highest I believe it's worth.

But the truth is, I am not a fan of these types of stories and how this film ended. Though believe me, it has nothing to do with the getting lost in the woods and being hunted scenario. I've been known to duck and cover in many a "forest films" and be happy with the good scare. And since I don't want to spoil anything for any potential viewers, I will just leave it at that.

csk
Re: Restrictions on Retired Boxes
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #959429 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 24, 2018 2:34am
Thread Board
For one thing, presumably any finds in the future will be accidental and unexpected -- since the box is supposed to be gone! If it happens to be found, you'd want the finders to be able to find the listing.

It might also be helpful for future planters in the vicinity, so they can see where an earlier box was hidden.
Re: happy "Box in a Pink Thong Day" everyone,
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #959432 by killer caterpillar
Apr 24, 2018 2:51am
Thread Board
Sorry. Already working on it. Yup. Good times alllll around... ;)
Re: My Father and/is Stranger Things
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #959430 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 24, 2018 2:56am
Thread Board
Haha this is so awesome.

I am pretty sure i binge watched both seasons in like 2 days, I just couldn't stop lol
Reply to: #959442 by Kirbert
Apr 24, 2018 5:39am
Thread Board
I thought retired boxes were pulled and no longer there.
Re: The Ritual~ A Netflix Original
Reply to: #959441 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 24, 2018 5:57am
Thread Board
We watched it. Though not our usual fare either, we enjoyed it enough. I agree with 3.

DZ
Reply to: #959445 by Topcollector
Apr 24, 2018 6:11am
Thread Board
I thought retired boxes were pulled and no longer there.

In theory. I can think of several reasons why that might not be the case. For example someone gets into the hobby, plants a few then drops out. After the required “attempts” the system retires the boxes. Or maybe a boxer gets a few attempts and assumes it’s gone so then retires it without checking. In both cases the boxes will still be there in some cases.
Re: Portsmouth NH /Southern Maine
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #959439 by IrishRef
Apr 24, 2018 6:26am
Thread Board
Check our logbook for plants. We have several that are easy finds in Biddeford,Saco, Old Orchard Beach areas.

Ray
HD
Apr 24, 2018 6:28am
Thread Board
Pretty dumb--men making poor choices. "Yeah, let's take the shortcut through the scary forest instead of staying on the trail." It was fun seeing Thomas out of his Downton livery.
Reply to: #959443 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 24, 2018 7:46am
Thread Board
Wonder if I can set up one of those trail cameras for Wakeda for random guys in thongs.....

hmmmmm
Hiking, Handlhelds, bread crumbs, and apps.
Board: Tools of the Trade
Apr 24, 2018 9:25am
Thread Board
SO- technology has advanced since my long absence from letterboxing (8 years maybe?), so as I've returned to it (in the last year or so)- and am now also trying to advance my hiking knowledge/skills... (hoping to hike some of the New England Trail this year) and realizing I need to up my technology game. My phone is older (iphone 5)- with limited storage and I don't have plans to get a new one... But am hearing benefits to apps and gps hand helds for out on the trail... I just learned about AllTrails and Clue Tracker apps- though I've now got them both- I haven't tried either yet, because older iphone/battery issues...

My question is- what suggestions do you have for most useful apps and/or best (budget conscious) investment for recreational handheld gps?
Apr 24, 2018 9:28am
Thread Board
I watched this movie because of the mention of Sweden, thought I'd see some beautiful landscapes.
It was stupid! And as far as I know the trail they were walking goes mostly over treeless country, maybe some small birches grow there.
Since I'm a stickler for details like that that was enough for me to not like it.(Gave up watching Gladiator when I saw Mount Whitney in the background)
But the story was the typical "stupid people making stupid mistakes"

Bokmal
Re: Hiking, Handlhelds, bread crumbs, and apps.
Reply to: #959452 by gsgeek
Apr 24, 2018 9:45am
Thread Board
most clues arent directly beneficial to using apps and electrionic devices meaning you need to do some interpertation before you can find the box. That said if you are going to do some hiking, i like the garmin e-trex. it has way finding to very specific locations. If you are driving, any garmin device is good. You can make a list of boxes and create a gpx file in altasquest , load it into (downloadable to your PC) garmins Base camp software,, then upload all the way points to your garmin gps device. Ive found box radar and clue tracker great for road trips. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you dont locate every box on a trip and keep box radar on your lap, you can sometimes find a box. Risk is the there is no meta data e.g. last find date , and the box can be gone when you get there so dont divert from your given path too far for a box radar box.
Reply to: #959454 by fleetwood7
Apr 24, 2018 10:17am
Thread Board
Risk is the there is no meta data e.g. last find date

Just a note, Clue Tracker shows last found date, box status, and find/attempt history.
Reply to: #959455 by Dawnkey
Apr 24, 2018 10:42am
Thread Board
Is clue tracker an app? Or are you referring to AQ?
Reply to: #959457 by Mountain Acres
Apr 24, 2018 11:04am
Thread Board
Clue Tracker is an app that links both AQ and Lbna- I have only glimpsed at it- but it looks pretty awesome. There is a fee but it is minimal in comparison to what the app appears to offer.

I guess my request is more along the lines of what apps/devices would folks recommend for hiking (in addition to letterboxing) as my priority between the two changes depending on my motivation/time constraints on any given day...
Reply to: #959458 by gsgeek
Apr 24, 2018 11:38am
Thread Board
Clue Tracker is an app that links both AQ and Lbna

Is it for iPhone only? I can't find it in the Google play store.

I guess my request is more along the lines of what apps/devices would folks recommend for hiking (in addition to letterboxing) as my priority between the two changes depending on my motivation/time constraints on any given day...

Alltrails is my favorite app as far as hiking goes. We hike a lot as a family and that does the trick for us. What specifically are you looking to use the app for?
Re: Another prediction.
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #959006 by Topcollector
Apr 24, 2018 12:42pm
Thread Board
Shewww

Looks like we made it!

I mean, damn, it gets harder every year to survive these things. ;o)

csk
"County Not Found" error when designating letterbox location
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 24, 2018 1:30pm
Thread Board
When trying to specify the exact location when listing a new letterbox, I frequently see a "County Not Found" error message when trying to add boxes outside the U.S. Almost all the time the country in question does not have the geographical designation of counties so I have left that part blank, but AQ insists that I specify a county anyway.

Is there any work around to this issue? It is quite frustrating.

Thanks very much.
Re: Snake
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #959365 by burning feet
Apr 24, 2018 1:47pm
Thread Board
I got stung by a couple of bees in my hair the day I went for my 1000th letterbox. I was at about box 998, and I wasn’t about to let a couple of bee stings in my head keep me from getting to 1000 boxes. So I called up a fellow letterboxer, invited myself over to her house briefly and had her pull the stingers out of my head so I could go on with my day. And yes I did get my 1000th letterbox that day.

BB
Reply to: #959382 by Kirbert
Apr 24, 2018 1:49pm
Thread Board
When I lived in FL last, I usually ran over the fire ant holes with the lawn mower and then run for dear life when my ankles were on fire from bites!

BB
Reply to: #959466 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 24, 2018 2:03pm
Thread Board
I have one! Boxing outside Houston for a Pokemon series with my then maybe 10 yr old nephew. Looking for a box off the path and came back out empty handed through ground wasp nests that were on the undersides of the bush leaves. Only got stung twice but not pleasant. Luckily had first aid kit with Benadryl and ice pack in it. After that, called it a day and went home.

As for snakes, was putting a box back in Jessie Jones Park, north of Houston when I looked down and had a copperhead slithering between my feet. I just stood still for a minute and let his head move away from my leg before jumping out of the way. That one was pretty scary!

:(
NLW
Reply to: #959459 by Mountain Acres
Apr 24, 2018 2:04pm
Thread Board
I have all trails, but usually run map my hike instead. My phone battery isn’t awesome either and I like that it feeds my workout into myfitness pal.
Apr 24, 2018 2:19pm
Thread Board
Clue tracker is for iPhone only
Box radar is a no longer supported app that was for droid type phone. You can still get it but is not updated as technology changes
Apr 24, 2018 2:20pm
Thread Board
You can frequently access aq while on the trail. I will photo snap clues of boxes I want to go find say on mt Lemmon where there is little or no service
Reply to: #959451 by PuggleMom
Apr 24, 2018 3:55pm
Thread Board
EYE BLEACH!!!!
Apr 24, 2018 5:05pm
Thread Board
I don’t think you are that far behind the curve. I got an iphone7 a month ago but used a 5 for a couple of years before that and it served me fine. I have an eTrex but honestly rarely use it and I do a lot of hiking.

The gps on your phone will work regardless of whether you have service or not. Just keep a google map tab open.

Unless you do some really off trail hiking a basic park map should service you well enough.

I have and use cluetracker. It’s a good app. But so is AQ. It works fine on a 5. Regardless of which format you use, research it at home and take screen captures of the clues that you can reference on the trail - saves carrying extra paper and saves the planet!

You have all you need, just utilize it.
Apr 24, 2018 5:22pm
Thread Board
If you are looking for an alternative to a hand-held recreational-type gps device, via an app for your phone, I've used BackCountry with good results. It has topo and some trails and records a breadcrumb trail of where you've been. I honestly only use it if I don't have my hand-held GPS device and think I need gps (longer hikes in remote areas). For example, I used it while hiking in Virginia because I didn't have the maps for that state in my gps. There was a $10 payment, so it wasn't free, but it's a LOT cheaper than buying a gps and the maps for the gps. I still like having the gps, though. I use a Garmin etrex. That's pretty standard.

http://backcountrynavigator.com/about/
Reply to: #959466 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 24, 2018 5:31pm
Thread Board
It's easier to deal with fire ant bites. Just put bleach on them.