About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Praying for all of you
Board: Region: Northeast
Mar 2, 2018 5:32pm
Thread Board
Hope you are holding tight, keeping warm, and doing ok through this storm. I am watching the weather channel and saying prayers for all of you.

TeachJR
Re: USPS Tips To Speed Up Mail Delivery
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #957466 by kudichan
Mar 2, 2018 7:10pm
Thread Board
Well I think it's a crap shoot.

I've used printed labels, hand written labels, and six digit zip codes. Haven't had any problems. 2018 turned a new page for me. My mail is taking longer to arrive..a lot longer...and I officially have one lost envelope.

I am now on the list of "unreliable sender". 😉
Reply to: #957466 by kudichan
Mar 2, 2018 7:10pm
Thread Board
I actually know my 11 digit zip code number. The last two digits tell them the exact home on the route.
Reply to: #957472 by Linden Leaf
Mar 2, 2018 7:24pm
Thread Board
i’ve seen the same thing this year...I ship with USPS for my business and I’ve had more complaints in 2018 than all of 2017! Tracking is poorly updated and I’ve lost my first package.
Re: Personal logbook preference
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #957469 by Boxer Lover47
Mar 2, 2018 7:27pm
Thread Board
It uses the twin loop metal coils with 2:1 pitch. I don’t know if it is compatible with plastic coils...
Re: Personal logbook preference
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #957475 by Open Space
Mar 2, 2018 9:03pm
Thread Board
Square holes?
Re: Dean Koontz suggestions please
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #957445 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 2, 2018 9:14pm
Thread Board
Watchers is one of my all-time favorite books. Definitely his best. I really enjoyed Odd Thomas too. But, I only read the first one in that series because I heard the others weren't as good.

Amyrica
Mar 2, 2018 11:32pm
Thread Board
Linden Leaf is NOT on any unreliable senders list.

But it does seem that the USPS has slowed down in 2018. Raise prices. Layoffs. Closing offices. Condensing operations. All ways to save money, but it doesn't improve mail delivery or contribute to good customer service.

I lost my first envelope and set of cards this year. It's a terrible feeling to know that our cards can fall into a black hole.
Re: Astrology/Zodiac Carving for event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #957467 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 3, 2018 1:43am
Thread Board
Of course, we need to have pigs represent at our event. Look forward to seeing you carve!!!!
Re: Praying for all of you
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #957470 by TeachJR
Mar 3, 2018 5:53am
Thread Board
So very kind of you. Many, many folks here in the Northeast are having a horrendous time this winter.
Reply to: #957465 by Beetle
Mar 3, 2018 6:12am
Thread Board
To add to this:

I was told that if the mailing and the return address are the same the mail could be destroyed- considered suspicious mail. That even if I am mailing the envelope back to its original location that I should be putting my return address on it.

This may be why I didn’t receive a package back and it never went back to the sender. Some very time large consuming carves gone.
Re: What activities do you want at L&B?
Reply to: #957094 by Open Space
Mar 3, 2018 6:51am
Thread Board
I have been taking self-defense-only martial arts (hapkido) for years and would love to share some of what I know with my fellow hikers. My guess is that lots of people would be interested in learning some defensive strategies. I have found that many people think they know some stuff but it either is not accurate or wouldn't work if not applied correctly. For instance, "my boyfriend has a gun" or yelling "fire" are not the best options and "kick him in the nuts" can have serious repercussions if not done, shall we say, "thoroughly".

However, I am not quite a black belt (I'm blue 1st or level 8, BB1 is 11), so in my organization I'm not allowed to teach technique. (The basic thinking behind that is that since the goal is to defend your life and not be a sport and since the techniques are very specific, if I were to teach you incorrectly I could be jeopardizing your confidence and/or life.) Yet I have assisted in many self-defense clinics and am actually more comfortable teaching large groups than my instructor :-)

I know a Master in Helotes, TX, which is an 1.5 hours away. If there is a lot of interest, I could inquire whether he (and probably some of his students as assistants) would be willing to come. We'd probably need to pay him a fee (or at least for his gas!) but we could charge those who attend the class. It would only be 1 hour (or 2 tops) and I would prefer it to be in the evening when I'm back from the trails anyway, but I'd be willing to do a right-before-dinner time, too.

I'll also ask my instructor here if there are any parts I would be able to present by myself, since most of what we show in a basic class is not limited to hapkido, anyway.
"Dancin' in the Streets" Stamp requests!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Mar 3, 2018 6:59am
Board
Hello my Grateful Friends!

Plans are well underway for fun times in Andover this July! The stamp trackers are listed below. We would REALLY appreciate your help and would LOVE to see your creative contributions! All stamps are needed by June 1st so we can box, plant and formulate the best clues. If you're willing, please sign up for multiple trackers!!! ;o)

"Dance Steps & Styles" will be the main series of planted carvings:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9760

The "Peanuts Dance Party" stamps will be used for Grateful Row boxes:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9756

We will have two night box sets - "Famous Street Signs":
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9757
...... and "Grateful Signs":
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9758

EVERYONE who is camping should sign-up for the "Dancers or Dancing Cartoon Characters" series. Boxes will be planted and clued your after arrival. Please list your box as a Traditional planting and add it to this tracker:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9761

If you have any questions, just let us know. Have a Grateful Day!!! ;o)

PS - Have you booked your campsite? Hope so! If not, now's the time as things are filling up! https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/harold-parker-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=MA&parkId=32608
Re: Dean Koontz suggestions please
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #957477 by Amyrica
Mar 3, 2018 7:10am
Thread Board
I really enjoyed Odd Thomas too. But, I only read the first one in that series because I heard the others weren't as good.

They weren't.
Reply to: #957463 by Una Marlee Sue
Mar 3, 2018 7:11am
Thread Board
I have a full set of Tribal Zodiac Tattoo stamps that I carved and used as a box of the month several years ago. You're welcome to them and can plant them permanently. There's even a logbook to go with them.

I think I still have a set of stamps that we used for night boxing at a camping event I organized 5 or more years ago too. They were themed around Astronomy and Astrology. They were stamped in Silver on black paper, which I have plenty of to send along with them if your interested. I also wouldn't need these back, so you can plant them to be found after the event.

AQMail me privately, and we'll make arrangements. Ergh! My hubby was just in Allentown for training last week, too!

Jiffy
Reply to: #957481 by tie dye sue
Mar 3, 2018 7:40am
Thread Board
I was told that if the mailing and the return address are the same the mail could be destroyed

Sounds like the hosts should start extending the tape that goes under the stamps, all the way to the left edge. Then, in addition to stamps, put their own return address label on the tape. Hopefully, that would prevent the "suspicious mail" problem.
Re: Little bit frustrated
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #939973 by zinni
Mar 3, 2018 9:27am
Thread Board
We just moved to the west Houston area. We have only been out boxing a couple of times without any luck. And even looking on AQ for boxes makes us sad. So much flooding has washed the hobby away. Are there any areas where boxes are still alive and well? We plan to venture out this afternoon to Cypress where it says there are 20+ boxes. None have been found recently, but here's to being optimistic. :) Any other helpful hints for locations would be appreciated!

Also seems that all my desires to start planting need to actually start happening....but planting off the ground. :)

TIA.
Re: DEEP Sky's the Limit Challenge 2018
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #957454 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 3, 2018 9:48am
Thread Board
Hooray for Western CT! I look forward to a few shorter drives to make these hikes.
Mar 3, 2018 9:59am
Thread Board
six digit zip codes . . . . . and I officially have one lost envelope.

I think I know which envelope went astray . . . 😁
Reply to: #957488 by FiveOaks
Mar 3, 2018 10:44am
Thread Board
Welcome to Houston! Unfortunately you have discovered the tragic state of boxes is this area. With several years of storms and flooding, many boxes have been washed away. Before that we had a nasty drought which killed pine trees throughout the area and pretty much destroyed Memorial Park (originally one of the best boxing parks in Houston).

You might want to try Glenwood cemetary. It's an amazing place to visit even if the boxes are long gone.

If you have time, make a road trip to the Austin area...people are actively planting there and the boxes have survived better.
Re: What activities do you want at L&B?
Reply to: #957483 by MO UR4Me
Mar 3, 2018 10:52am
Thread Board
Thanks for the offer! I'll run it by our planning team at the next meeting.
Reply to: #957490 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 3, 2018 1:06pm
Thread Board
Lol...hey now. I'm sick. And I prefer art over numbers.
Mar 3, 2018 1:21pm
Thread Board
Six digit zip code? I only use a five digit one! ;-)

I use printed labels for all mail and haven't seen any noticeable increase in missing mail this year.

I never received several postcards from the Halloween swap, but several I did receive had stickers, glue, and plenty of other "banned" stuff on them, so the missing ones might have been worse and either unreadable or got stuck and destroyed along the way.
Re: Speaking of Scream . . . What's Your Favorite Scary Movie???
Reply to: #957456 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 3, 2018 8:58pm
Thread Board
I love the Saw series, not sure anyone else does :/
Return to letterboxing
Board: State: Ohio
Mar 4, 2018 1:41am
Thread Board
My name is JenW.
My hubby and I did some letterboxing in 2009-2010 but life got in the way and prevented us from doing so for many years. However this year we have been able to get back into it. We are located in Muskingum county OH close to the Perry county line. We are trying to go boxing every chance we can. There are several new boxes planted since we first started so there are lots of new carves to find. I see myself quickly becoming readdicted to this hobby but I don't mind because I love finding them.
Anyway I just wanted to to reintroduce myself and say Hello to my fellow boxers and I look forward to getting to know you.
JenW~
Re: Return to letterboxing
Reply to: #957504 by The Wentlands
Mar 4, 2018 3:11am
Thread Board
Welcome back!

Life has a way of happening for sure, lol!

I look forward to hearing about your new adventures. Let me know if you ever head down to the SW corner of Ohio

Mama Stork
Re: Return to letterboxing
Reply to: #957504 by The Wentlands
Mar 4, 2018 3:43am
Thread Board
Welcome Back Jen!!
A Great Time to start back! There are a lot of events coming up this year! You might want to check out the GLG ( Great Lakes Gathering) Tiki Time Luau in Boonville, IN coming up this June! Sounds like BIG FUN!!
Reply to: #957486 by Jiffy
Mar 4, 2018 4:05am
Thread Board
How did Hubby's training go? I could have made the pickup and handoff.

LB
Reply to: #957491 by Open Space
Mar 4, 2018 4:57am
Thread Board
I recently went LBing in Texas , east of Dallas. Many boxes are in great shape. My seven year old grand went along. We had a blast. Such a fun family time although his attention span is much shorter, he does enjoy following the clue and "finding the prize". Look before heading out to make sure that most of them have recent finds. Best wishes.
How do you make bold text?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Mar 4, 2018 6:02am
Thread Board
I thought I used to be able to do this, but can't figure it out now: Make a heading in the AQ-hosted clues bold. How is this done?