May 2, 2017 3:02pm
Thread Board
I sure am, and planting too.
Re: Lincoln Letterbox missing... found a geocache in its place
Board: State: Nebraska
Reply to: #945183 by Asteroid_Cat
May 2, 2017 3:19pm
Thread Board
Did you open the geocache--most of the ones I've found give the name and number on the log.
With the name you could look it up on geocaching.com and send a message to the owner.
Re: caught in the act
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #945182 by MissMoon
May 2, 2017 3:50pm
Thread Board
I should have added "Crikey!"
Reply to: #945185 by Wronghat
May 2, 2017 4:31pm
Thread Board
I opened it, and found nothing but a dime and a logbook. No writing anywhere.
Box til you drop!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
May 2, 2017 6:34pm
Thread Board
I have to start off by saying thank you to NALWA (my husband) for his infinite patience with me while planting new boxes, and thank you to BetsyatTheSummit for her kindness and generosity for being my new letterboxing finding partner. Without these two people, I would never have attempted to return to letterboxing - something that I truly love (first find in 2000!).

Sunday: Fitbit says 7+ miles planting a new letterbox series in RI (10 am to 2 pm)
Monday: Fitbit says 9+ miles finding scads of letterboxes in CT & RI (11 am to 7:30 pm)
Tuesday: Fitbit says 9+ miles finding scads more boxes in CT & RI (9 am to 6 pm)

Glorious, glorious, glorious - but I must admit, I feel a little like Karen Silkwood right now after all the Tecnu scrubbing showers and tick removals ;-)

Warrior Woman
wouldn't have it any other way
Re: Meet and greet in Cary.
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #945020 by BrockBrood
May 2, 2017 6:40pm
Thread Board
I hope y'all had a great time! We were out at Emerald Isle on the coast NOT finding letterboxes. Seriously, we checked 4 sets of clues and had no luck. I still need to make entries on them...
May 2, 2017 7:38pm
Thread Board
I located the are of your letterbox on google maps and pulled up the geocaching map of the same area. I am a premium member so I can see all of the caches. There is no active traditional cache located in that area. So you have either found (a) an archived cache (b) a cache that has yet to be published or (c) a cache that is a mystery or multi, meaning it's listed start point is elsewhere on the map.
Re: Box til you drop!
Reply to: #945188 by Warrior Woman
May 2, 2017 8:15pm
Thread Board
Eeeew. I'm terrified of ticks.
Reply to: #945191 by Topcollector
May 2, 2017 9:16pm
Thread Board
You need a pet possum. :)
Re: Getting Started with a thousands words...
Board: Picture Perfect
Reply to: #945192 by System
May 2, 2017 10:15pm
Thread Board
The true documentation of your letterboxing journey will be the wonderful stamp images and written memories that you put in your logbook. Use any camera you prefer for your photo opportunities. Welcome, and have fun!
Reply to: #945188 by Warrior Woman
May 3, 2017 2:38am
Thread Board
And now the "tick checks" can be so much more fun with NALWA helping.
May 3, 2017 3:02am
Thread Board
Cell phone. Save your money for pink stuff!
Reply to: #945190 by fbingha
May 3, 2017 3:27am
Thread Board
I agree with fbingha. I'm a premium member too and I can't find any cache matching that description. The nearby multi doesn't seem to be it. None of the nearby puzzles seem to be it either. It might be one farther out but most of the ones I checked on were placed in 2013. When was the last time you knew your box was still in place?
May 3, 2017 6:12am
Thread Board
Cell phone. You always have it with you. You don't have to make an extra effort to remember to bring it.
Re: Meet and greet in Cary.
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #945189 by PantherCat
May 3, 2017 6:59am
Thread Board
PantherCat - the Meet and Greet isn't for a few weeks, so you can still come!!
Re: Happy Cake-Day Red Cruzsader!
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #944729 by Traks15
May 3, 2017 7:03am
Thread Board
So sorry I didn't get a chance to respond until now....

Thanks! I was getting ready to teach a letterboxing class (4 workshops) to the local Girl Scout encampment - so I feel I was celebrating in a most appropriate way.
I hope you are enjoying the nice days as they happen and get some trail time in as well.
RC
May 3, 2017 7:13am
Thread Board
I'd say cell phone. You will already be carrying a lot - sig stamp, stamp pads/markers, logbook, replacement supplies, water, gloves, wipes, etc. No need to add a camera to the load when you will already have a phone with you. Plus, phone cameras are so good these days - unless you are planning to enlarge your photos to far beyond standard photo album sizes, the extra resolution you get from a dedicated camera is likely unnecessary.
Reply to: #945198 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 3, 2017 7:42am
Thread Board
The last time I knew it was in place was April 20. Thanks for checking the geocache map!
Reply to: #945198 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 3, 2017 9:59am
Thread Board
I had a Letterbox go missing and was advised by a finder that it appeared a geocacher got ahold of this.. I kinda shrugged it off thinking - Geocachers are usually the first to put the blame on when a stamp goes missing... So the hubby and i took a bike ride down to check on them all and sure enough, my pouch was COMPLETELY overtaken by Geocachers!!!! Guess the thing that really UUURRRKK'd me was the fact that i very clearly marked the pouch and when i went to find the cache on the the geocache website i found the "idiots" even making note that the pouch was clearly marked "LETTERBOX NOT A GEOCACHE" yet continued to log away at it:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3HBDT_stick-to-your-roots?guid=c8e57ddb-62fa-4fb0-9233-1def7b3b9c5c

....So frustrated as I was, I sent a message to the first girl who started a sheet of paper to log their names and stick it in my Letterboxing Pouch -- Nicely asking her for my stamp back and questioning why/how a my clearly marked pouch was taken over.... Once I finally received a reply, my frustration level was taken to the next when she stated 'she TOO was a Letterboxer' ?!?! Seriously tho Grrrrrrrrrr I just don't get it :/
Personal Travelers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
May 3, 2017 10:07am
Thread Board
I could swear I read somewhere on here that if you are headed to an event it's possible to print out all of your notes (answers the info needed to get their stamp) for personal travelers. Is that right?

I've been unable to do so, could someone explain the process to me? Thanks.

DZ
Re: Personal Travelers
Reply to: #945208 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 3, 2017 10:12am
Thread Board
When you click on the event... There is a small "Print Checklist" box at the top... Click on that and that will be your print out Everyone in Bold lettering on your exchange list are the people you haven't exchanged siggy stamps with yet ;)

Hope that helps!
Reply to: #945209 by F'inA Adventurers
May 3, 2017 10:26am
Thread Board
It does, thank you!
Reply to: #945208 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 3, 2017 10:27am
Thread Board
Theres a box with a suit case that says Personal Travelers next to it. Click that and you will find your list of PTs that might be at the event.
It's next to the "Nearby Boxes" box
Birthday freebies
May 3, 2017 10:42am
Thread Board
I know many people like to get things for free, and a lot of restaurants and retailers will give you free things just because you were born. I found this website, which has a pretty good list of places that will give you discounts and freebies for your birthday. Do you know of any others?

Here are a few more that I know about:
--Sign up for McAlister's Deli Deligrams. Just today, I used a coupon that gave me $5 off of my order, so my lunch cost me less than $3.
--If you have an AMC Stubs account, you'll get a coupon for a free large drink and popcorn.
--If you sign up for Firehouse Subs Firehouse Rewards, you'll get a coupon on your birthday (it's good for a week) for a free sandwich.

TG
Re: Birthday freebies
Reply to: #945212 by Trekkie Gal
May 3, 2017 11:09am
Thread Board
Hate to be a killjoy, but my local Firehouse Subs is on my "Heck No" list. They recently tried to poison a cop by putting an obscene amount of hand sanitizer on his sub (he is SWAT and recently had a heart attack) and all they did was fire the looser. When I called corporate they never even responded. If they did that to a cop in uniform, what have they done or would be willing to do to the general public? And corporate is apparently all out of #u(k$ to give.
PFX count blog dealiething?
May 3, 2017 11:20am
Thread Board
I'm sure it's going to be painfully obvious once it's pointed out, but...

There used to be a widgety thingie for your blog that would pull your PFX count and link to your AQ profile that you could put in the sidebar on blogger or whatever. I am having a bear of a time figuring out how to do that again.

Where do I get the code snippet?
Re: Birthday freebies
Reply to: #945213 by Raven
May 3, 2017 12:11pm
Thread Board
To be fair, it's probably because the cop was in uniform that this was done to him (I'm not saying it's right - I'm just stating a fact). Firing the employee was the appropriate response by the company. If the cop wanted to press charges, that's up to him. I'm sure the corporate offices fielded many, many calls over this incident, and so probably did not have time to call back every single person, especially if they were not directly involved in the situation.

I've never had any issues at my local Firehouse Subs, and while I don't go there often, I will continue to go there because they have and continue to do a lot of good for firefighters.

TG
Re: PFX count blog dealiething?
Reply to: #945214 by Corax
May 3, 2017 12:18pm
Thread Board
Toolbox Menu ----> AQ Links.

TG
May 3, 2017 12:20pm
Thread Board
I think this is the first time in 6 years I've ever heard this question...

Cell phone, and make it a Samsung Galaxy. They have better camera than i Phone.

When you are letterboxing, light bags are essential. You won't want to juggle a camera AND a cell phone.
May 3, 2017 12:26pm
Thread Board
1.There are a few other caching websites besides geocsching.com.

2. I have a letterbox that got taken over by geocachers, but they did not take the stamp.. it has had hundreds...yes hundreds of geocaches, find it. And like 6 letterboxers. And it was clearly marked, and many of them know it is a letterbox. But they found the spot... and they claimed their smilie!!!!