About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

New pathtags
Board: Pathtags
Jan 17, 2017 7:32pm
Thread Board
Krisckster introduced to pathtags a couple of years ago but Semicolon and I just received ours. We'll be leaving them around as first finders and use them when we do exchanges. We've put pictures of ours up on the pathtag.com page under Wronghat.
Re: What is the longest gap in finds of a box that u have found?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #940729 by Bon Echo
Jan 17, 2017 7:52pm
Thread Board
Yes, I do a big happy dance whenever I find one of these. Finding a box is fun. Find a really lonely box is a drug of it's own kind!

So, Happy Dance?
Reply to: #940728 by roo
Jan 17, 2017 7:52pm
Thread Board
If that is the box I am thinking of, you and Southpaw deserved a medal for getting that box! A long-forgotten box planted in 2000 that you guys found in 2012 in a dense, briar-filled, swampy area with no longer any evidence of a path.

Yep, that's the one, roo! Finding it was worth the effort, though--those Bolton boxes are fun, aren't they? :^)
Reply to: #940742 by Kirbert
Jan 17, 2017 7:55pm
Thread Board
I'm thinking longer hikes are somewhat out of favor with letterboxers.

Do you think that it is because the average age of letterboxers is getting older? By that I mean that everyone gets older, and we're not getting enough new blood. They may be staying inside, or going outside for technology hunts like munzee, Ingress or Pokémon Go.
Reply to: #940745 by MissMoon
Jan 17, 2017 7:55pm
Thread Board
Good times!!

It's a crazy hobby, isn't it? ;^)
Re: More strange AQ
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #940755 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2017 8:04pm
Thread Board
I really can't fix this. I tried. One computer had it set to open to My Page. Another had it set to a search of Buffalo. Now all I can get is 1000 boxes nowhere near here.

THEN I can click on My Page. But not as nice.
Re: Panola Mtn SP land dam being rebuilt...
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #940756 by Artemis
Jan 17, 2017 8:09pm
Thread Board
You could just swim...
Reply to: #940755 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2017 8:16pm
Thread Board
Ha! The Mac laptop is fine and goes to My Page, as it should. The Mac desktop is a couple of years older...must be something related to older age, right?
Reply to: #940764 by Sunia
Jan 17, 2017 8:49pm
Thread Board
must be something related to older age, right?

No, it's that your bookmarks are pointing to http:// when they should now be pointing to https://

I'll try and fix the problem, but it's the bookmarks. You can edit or replace them if you don't want to wait for a fix, but it has nothing to do with the age of your browser.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #940763 by Eidolon
Jan 17, 2017 9:06pm
Thread Board
You could just swim...

See note above re low water.
Reply to: #940766 by Artemis
Jan 17, 2017 9:14pm
Thread Board
Wade?
Reply to: #940760 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 17, 2017 9:26pm
Thread Board
I'm a younger letterboxer but I prefer to find short stroll or drive-by letterboxes when I'm alone, otherwise I get to paranoid to complete my hike unless I know the place really well (like near my house where I've planted boxes). When I go out to find other people's boxes in a strange place once I can't hear the road I get paranoid about all the bad things that could happen like falling off a cliff or being kidnapped or getting hopelessly lost. Plus I've gone on a number of longer hikes to reach a box and not been able to find it, very discouraging. I tend to do longer ones when I have friends and good weather and good clues.
Re: Southern California event
Board: State: California
Reply to: #940643 by brailleboxer
Jan 17, 2017 11:27pm
Thread Board
I sure wish I could go too! My grandson's birthday will probably be celebrated that weekend tho.
Reply to: #940760 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 18, 2017 7:02am
Thread Board
Do you think that it is because the average age of letterboxers is getting older?

No, I think it's because a focus on numbers is creeping in. "Why go on a hike that'll take all afternoon for one box when I can find four drive-bys in that time? Now, if someone would plant a half dozen boxes along that trail instead of just one, I'd be up for it!"
Reply to: #940768 by buddyjumper
Jan 18, 2017 7:10am
Thread Board
I only do longer walks/hike with at least one other person, too. It's just a safety thing. But I genuinely enjoy going for those boxes. When we find them, it's so exciting. But even if we don't, it makes for a fun day. The last time we went out looking for some we suspected were gone, we planted a new one along the trail. I don't think we found any that day (can't remember for sure; maybe one box), but it was beautiful out, I was with good friends, and the hike was good for my heart. Literally and spiritually. :)

What I have found around my area, at least, is that many of the hiking trail boxes have higher restrictions. They tend to be excellent carves, planted by boxers who enjoy hiking, and are always worth the work to find them. But the higher restrictions limit who can go for them, and I don't think that's a bad thing in most cases.
Reply to: #940771 by General Word Nerd
Jan 18, 2017 7:32am
Thread Board
What I have found around my area, at least, is that many of the hiking trail boxes have higher restrictions.

Interesting! In my experience, planting boxes on longer hikes--especially in out-of-the-way places--is a type of restriction, since the majority of letterboxers won't look for them.

Southpaw and I have a number of plants with great carves (obviously, done by other people!) and in beautiful locations, but because finders don't get a lot of boxes for the amount of hiking they do, these boxes don't get many finders. I'm pretty sure that if we planted a 15-box series on a 2-mile hike, we'd get more finders. Different strokes for different folks! :^)
I'm having weird stuff, too
Jan 18, 2017 7:34am
Thread Board
Sorry GT!
I did a traditional box search to find a set of LBs and clicked on "map results". The map did not appear. The stuff under the map appeared (the part with this letter=this box/these boxes). I do not actually need a map for this search (it is more out of habit :) ), but thought it should be posted.
Thank you for everything!
-PLP
UP200-- anyone going?
Board: State: Michigan
Jan 18, 2017 8:13am
Thread Board
I have the amazing opportunity to be a support person for my sister who will be a part of the Vet Team at the UP200 and Midnight Run next month. We are BEYOND excited!

Will anyone else be there? I'm looking for a couple good quick box stops in town and it would be fun to do a quick exchange with others in Marquette for the weekend.

GreyCrazy and ERVetChick (from SC)
UP200-- anyone going?
Board: Critter Corner
Jan 18, 2017 8:17am
Board
Any dog sledding folks out there going to the UP200 and the Midnight Run?

GreyCrazy
Reply to: #940662 by Bug Food Babe
Jan 18, 2017 8:49am
Thread Board
You can bypass the damn and get most of the boxes. I was there last year when it was closed and I didn't have any problems. If you start on the series about the little girl, it takes you away from the damn. The only series effected is the one with the bugs and you can double back to get the first few by the barn and it doesn't add on much hiking at all. What seems more worrisome was the controlled burns they were doing. It did torch the areas with some of the boxes, but they all survived.
Re: I'm having weird stuff, too
Reply to: #940773 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jan 18, 2017 8:53am
Thread Board
The map did not appear.

Thanks! That's exactly the type of thing that's easy for me to overlook with this sort of update, and the type of thing that such a change can break. (Browsers don't like to display non-secure maps on secure webpages.)

It should be fix now, though! Thanks again!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #940766 by Artemis
Jan 18, 2017 9:45am
Thread Board
You could just swim...

See note above re low water.

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted to make that smart remark. (I assume his next post tells us to wade.)
Mystery Postal #404 is now open
Board: Postals
Jan 18, 2017 10:03am
Thread Board
Apologies for missing my anticipated clue start date. I was under the weather the last two days.

For anyone who is not interested in participating or following mystery postals click ignore thread. That will save you from tediously ignoring my daily posts. However, each numbered postal will have a new thread.

For those who are new to mystery postals and for those who need a refresher the rules follow:

To get this postal you will have to guess the name/subject of the stamp. Clues will be posted on the postal boards and on this tracker. I will try and post one per day. For each clue posted each person may make one guess prior to the next clue being posted. Please realize that ALL the clues will relate to the answer. I will keep everyone honest this year by not recycling any previous carves. Some would search through my plants looking for a matching stamp. In the old days that sometimes worked.

Guesses should be sent to IrishRef via AQMail, not posted on the boards! Guesses will only be accepted from AQ members through AQMail.

Even if you have no clue take a guess anyway. Half the enjoyment is seeing the range of incorrect answers and how people connected clues for those guesses. Guessing will continue until there are 10 correct participants or I close it rather than flatly give it away. I typically give no feedback to incorrect guesses unless it strikes my funny bone or it is close and I am giving you a chance to be more specific. Those correctly guessing will be notified by AQMail. Tracker order will be determined by order of giving the correct answer (except anyone living outside of USA. They get the postal last as a result of some lengthy transit times.). The correct answer with an explanation of how each clue is related will be posted once the postal is full. The actual box will be posted when the competition ends as Mystery 404: _________.

You may also look at the tracker to see all the clues in one list at:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=9280

GOOD LUCK!

Clue 1 = Doctor
Re: Southern California event
Board: State: California
Reply to: #940769 by belless
Jan 18, 2017 10:30am
Thread Board
Happy b day to him !!!!
Reply to: #940770 by Kirbert
Jan 18, 2017 12:01pm
Thread Board
I think it's because a focus on numbers is creeping in. "Why go on a hike that'll take all afternoon for one box when I can find four drive-bys in that time? Now, if someone would plant a half dozen boxes along that trail instead of just one, I'd be up for it!"

Yep. A long time ago, it became about the numbers, not the experience, for many people. Too bad, IMHO. I could say more, but I'll desist, except for this -- the trend alienated many who wanted to provide experiences, not numbers; thus the dynamic fed on itself (with of course its exceptions (and the stray old curmudgeons) that proved the rule).

But, back to the original thread (sort of), I have a shoebox full of pre 2000 clues that never made it online; maybe about 20 or so, I dunno, from Southern New England (and this doesn't include the old 1990s VQ catalog, which I also have (and which is in more Northern New England), and yeah, they are letterboxes also, IMHO). It has always occurred to me to look for these again (I've found most of them), but more interestingly, host a gathering were people who come can have at them.

But, there are two considerations --

1) I'm an economist, and I know this stuff has value. So, would people pay for it? What would they pay for it? Obviously, all revenue would go to charity, (and it would not even cover my travel expenses to pull the thing off (which of course I don't mind eating for a good cause)), but I'm one of those people who believes value should be monetized, and whenever possible, such monetization should be used to reduce suffering in the world.

Ok, enough talking about money, cuz few want to, but the bigger issue, and the issue which has kept this project grounded. is the second consideration --

2) This stuff isn't my work. So, how can I hold a gathering and either sell or give out these clues? I can't presume the motive of the clue author, or whether their attitudes are consistent with mine, no matter how presumably good intentioned mine seem to be (I imagine the original authors wanted their boxes to be found, but is my plan a bridge too far?).

So, this project won't happen this year, but it might happen next year. It might just be me doing it, or it might be a gathering, depending on how people feel about the above. We'll see.

Oh, and nice thread BTW. Kudos to those digging and searching out the old boxes. Part of the original vision, and flies in the face of the "numbers game", which makes it all good.
Reply to: #940770 by Kirbert
Jan 18, 2017 12:08pm
Thread Board
It isnt my age as much as my arthritic knees. A two mile hike and im done for the day.
Re: how to create contact groups for whitelisting and exceptions
Reply to: #940731 by buddyjumper
Jan 18, 2017 12:12pm
Thread Board
I went with 10+ for a few months after one of my series was outed in a newspaper article my a middle school author. It was complimentary but didnt want to see my blue diamond series disappear.
10th anniversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Jan 18, 2017 12:14pm
Board
Happy 10th Gargoyle Bob. Keep 'em straight in the panhandle.
Passing along a HH
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Jan 18, 2017 12:46pm
Thread Board
So my hubby and I found a HH recently, and today we had a good hunt for new LBs, however I didn't place the HH in any of the boxes we found. I'm finding myself being picky about where I place it because I want it to move and not stay stagnant for a long period of time.

Is this silly?

Has anyone else been like this with a HH?

~MamaFrog
Glenn Frey's Birthday
Board: Birthday Board!
Jan 18, 2017 1:38pm
Thread Board
Glenn Frey is really not aging well since on AQ he is having his first birthday. He wouldn't be one even in dog years.