A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 12:30pm
Thread Board
it has become one of my top 2 pet peeves.

When did people forget that "then" doesn't mean the same thing as "than"?

Deer Topcollector!

Owe, aye no its knot Fare!
Sew watt will yew dew?

Hay, if aloud, aisle whey inn. Wear on you're sighed and where hear to prays yew, knot two berry ewe. Eye scents yew sea their is a reel laps inn sum currant righting stiles witch has maid a feint tern four the wurst. Are whee rite? Ore pleas worn us weather weir father aweigh off bass & mist the hole point of yaw lessen.

Weight, eye can here ewe awl grown!

Aye mite bee up schist creak butt aye doe nut want to bee band from cite.

weigh whey two much thyme on my hands . . . . .
Re: Tried wintergreen oil and failed
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #934831 by west dover quidditch team
Sep 14, 2016 12:37pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the feedback on trying different carving materials
Re: Happy AQversary
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #934833 by mudflinginfools
Sep 14, 2016 12:39pm
Thread Board
Congrats to both, quite the milestones !!!
Reply to: #934832 by FloridaFour
Sep 14, 2016 12:53pm
Thread Board
I think the bar is higher for published texts and people who work in communication, like reporters and news anchors and such. Even though I secretly cringe, spoken speech in informal settings is just that -- informal, so I consider that more my problem. Except maybe for nuke-yoo-lar, irregardless, real-a-tur and the like, which induces involuntary wincing, despite my best efforts.
Sep 14, 2016 12:54pm
Thread Board
FOR is not pronounced FER. Just stop it, please. This from a person who says that she is fixin' to do something instead of about to do something.
Re: Newbie Question...
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #934407 by LROSEM
Sep 14, 2016 12:58pm
Thread Board
The wonderful Newbie package arrived today. I have admired them all and just spent a bit of time logging in and writing comments. There are some wonderful ideas here and such excellent carving skills displayed. Thank you for sending them on to me! I am now really looking forward to seeing what will come from the three (3) tracker that I have joined.

:O)
Reply to: #934782 by RDAMiller
Sep 14, 2016 1:16pm
Thread Board
Thanks for all of the great input. I tried our printer at work and got slightly better results. Does the image need to be fresh off of the printer?
Sep 14, 2016 1:17pm
Thread Board
When has it become correct to say I will "try and" instead of "try to"? Drives me bonkers.
Sep 14, 2016 1:22pm
Thread Board
The next cat or dog we get I want to name Peeve. I will then have a pet peeve

And if we have another child we will name her Charity. Everyone donates to charity
Un-Archiving a Box
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Sep 14, 2016 1:26pm
Thread Board
Anyone know how to un-archive a box on LBNA? I used to be able to do it... now I can't figure out how!

BB
Re: Un-Archiving a Box
Reply to: #934843 by Bungalow Boxer
Sep 14, 2016 1:32pm
Thread Board
Anyone know how to un-archive a box on LBNA? I used to be able to do it... now I can't figure out how!

If you put in a status of OK with today's date it should make the box active again.
Re: Un-Archiving a Box
Reply to: #934844 by SpringChick
Sep 14, 2016 1:39pm
Thread Board
Thank you!

BB
Reply to: #934840 by RDAMiller
Sep 14, 2016 1:42pm
Thread Board
I don't know about WO, but I use acetone and save the images I want to carve eventually in an envelope. The older they are, the more acetone I have to use, but in general, it works fine. I have had them fail if they get too old, though and I'm not sure what the threshold is. Now I try to transfer them and Stayzon them right away and keep a bunch all transferred and ready to go.
Reply to: #934842 by turkey feathers
Sep 14, 2016 1:45pm
Thread Board
I always thought people were jinxing their kids when they named them Chastity. Awwww, don't do that! Also, if you name your kid heaven spelled backward, what are the implications? I just wouldn't Chance it. I also believe naming your kid any derivation of Angel is bound to be ironic. And I should know.
Re: Happy AQversary
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #934833 by mudflinginfools
Sep 14, 2016 1:59pm
Thread Board
Happy AQversary, Ladies! We are indeed thankful for all you do for our fun-filled hobby!
Sep 14, 2016 2:21pm
Thread Board
it has become one of my top 2 pet peeves.

One of my grammar pet peeves (and I have many) is the incorrect use of subject pronouns and object pronouns. For instance - "Me and her are going for a walk" or "Give the letterbox to her and I." I try to educate those who do this, such as my dear daughter who was taught correctly, by asking "Would you say "Us are going for a walk" or "Give the letterbox to we" which is usually met with a blank stare. So I continue to cringe.

Just as irritating to me is the popular use of the word "youse" instead of you which is very, very common in Pennsylvania.
Reply to: #934849 by Janila
Sep 14, 2016 2:31pm
Thread Board
One of my grown daughters constantly says "I seen". grr.
Re: Nevada bound!
Board: State: Nevada
Reply to: #934830 by markandsuepepe
Sep 14, 2016 2:35pm
Thread Board
Me! Me!!

I'm available!
Reply to: #934850 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 2:37pm
Thread Board
I seen

This is singularly one of the most annoying things I can hear out of anyone's mouth. I worked with a fellow who said it frequently. I frequently replied "You saw?" I don't think he ever got it.
Sep 14, 2016 2:49pm
Thread Board
One of my grown daughters constantly says "I seen". grr.

Actually, that was my number one grammar pet peeve for a long time, I have decided to move on to new irritants!
Reply to: #934827 by Raven
Sep 14, 2016 3:44pm
Thread Board
fork-Ed

I say things like that. I know better but I do it anyway. I deliberately mispronounce things. Like I'll say ka nife for knife. Or Wed nes day because that's the way it's spelled.

Shiloh
Re: Boxes in the Antartic
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #934793 by Team Mac
Sep 14, 2016 4:14pm
Thread Board
I planted one at the north magnetic pole....
Reply to: #934855 by letterbox goody thief
Sep 14, 2016 4:21pm
Thread Board

A gypsy box huh? And compass required I hope.
Quabbin policy updates
Board: State: Massachusetts
Sep 14, 2016 4:48pm
Thread Board
I understand DCR is updating their policies and here is a link to a survey that is being held

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/quabbinaccess

This is the message I saw on a FB page I'm involved with.
Do you use the Quabbin Reservoir for outdoor recreation? DCR is updating their Quabbin Reservoir Public Access Plan and they want your input!

This goes along with a recent thread about the Quabbin
Reply to: #934847 by Wry Me
Sep 14, 2016 5:10pm
Thread Board
I'm not kidding, but I have seen the name Jesus Santos. Now that is some hopeful thinking.
Sep 14, 2016 5:13pm
Thread Board
My sister's boyfriend says "I seen", "I ain't", "I ain't never", "Youse", "them don't...", the list goes on. He is a very nice guy, but my mother, who is a writer, cannot stand to talk to him. Lol. Even my sister teases him.
Re: Quabbin policy updates
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #934857 by Sagacorn
Sep 14, 2016 5:32pm
Thread Board
Thanks, Sagacorn! I saw this on a FB group earlier today, too, and took the survey. I also forwarded the link to Trailhead Tessie.
Reply to: #934856 by Eidolon
Sep 14, 2016 5:47pm
Thread Board

And clues next say 'head south'
Sep 14, 2016 5:56pm
Thread Board
Not grammar, but the hillbilly speak that bothers me most is "coyote". My in-laws are from the Catskills and they say coy-ote. I realize that it is spelled coyote, but it is not pronounced coy-ote. I know that coyotes aren't usually part of everyday conversation in most circles, but with my in-laws they are. It makes me cringe every time. Gah!

Another one that was more amusing than irritating came from my sister-in-law. I texted her to ask if she wanted me to save some of my son's clothes for her son and she replied, "We don't mind hammie downs." Hammie downs!

These people also say, "hang on it for me," when they want someone to hold on to something. That one figuratively kills me every time.

Luckily, I have broken the husband of most of these. I am pretty sure we would be divorced by now if he insisted on saying things like, "Hang on my beer while I shoot that coy-ote."
Reply to: #934862 by LROSEM
Sep 14, 2016 6:03pm
Thread Board
When someone says 'axed' as in, I axed a question. I grew up with that in Famous Monsters magazine in its 'You Axed For It' photo section, but my grammar survived.