A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: are lock n locks really all that?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933833 by Fiddleheads
Aug 30, 2016 8:45am
Thread Board
I don't think they do need a baggie and I often leave them out.

Going commando!
Reply to: #933830 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 30, 2016 8:48am
Thread Board
I get not wanting the logbook to get wet, but come on! Isn't this overkill especially if LnL are all that? ;)

I'm obsessive compulsive. I like that extra bit of safety for my logbooks.

LnL's are probably the best out there, but not 100% effective. Flaps do break off over time, dirt gets in the seal, plastic does get brittle over time.

Oh, and then there was that person who boxed in the rain, and left water drops in my LnL.
Re: Camping chatter - tent trailers
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Reply to: #933812 by brailleboxer
Aug 30, 2016 8:54am
Thread Board
We have a 2006 Fleetwood Santa Fe and love it - could never go back to tent camping. Bought it used in 2013 after the original owner traded it in to move up to something bigger (usually how it goes). No AC but it has heat! I guess the requirements for AC and/or heat will depend on the region.
We use our pop-up for our family of 5 (6 if you include the golden doodle). Easily towed with a minivan (yes it has a transmission cooler). Our typical trip is ~ 100 - 250 miles from home.

- all the camping gear stays in the trailer - I don't miss having to store all that stuff in the shed and basement
- easy to set up and pack up (~ 30 minutes on either end)
- rainy days are much easier to handle vs being in a tent. Same for camping on sand. Same for eating inside.
- no more need to buy ice! Fridge runs on 12V, propane or 120V so we can always keep it going. We cool it and fill it with food before we leave and run it on 12V while we drive - using power supplied by the tow vehicle
- queen-sized bed on one end is nice for the adults.
- trailer brakes (huge difference in stopping)
- propane furnace is noisy when it comes on and off throughout the night
- indoor and outdoor stoves (most of the cooking is done on the outdoor stove)
- you need to worry a lot less about the site (how hard and lumpy is the ground, soil vs grass vs gravel, drainage) vs tent camping
- the van isn't completely packed with gear - it got ridiculous when we were tent camping, van packed to the roof!

Dislikes
- I need to raise the lid slightly to be able to access inside the trailer
- cannot access the fridge without raising the roof all the way up
- there's a trailer in my driveway all year and it really gets in the way!
- I wish it was a few hundred pounds lighter for towing purposes
- some competing models have heated mattresses - those would be nice

Comments
- Definitely buy one used. Even one that's a couple years old is significantly less than a new model. IMO a 5-10 year old tent trailer is the best value.
- There’s a lot of “extras” available that to me seem like too much for a tent trailer – hot water heaters, outdoor showers, slide-outs. The way I see it, if you need those things, you probably need a hard top trailer. My TT came with a water tank and a inside faucet but we never use it even if we are camping for a week. I don’t mind refilling the 20L water jug once a day.
- If you need something for one or two people, consider the small teardrop trailers (i.e. T@B) vs. pop-ups; they’re lighter and well designed. I know someone who tows one with a VW Golf!
- be carefully of early 2000’s Coleman TT’s (which were manufactured by Fleetwood), they had a major issue with leaky roofs.

Hope that helps
Re: Tagalong on Restricted and the problem is logging on AQ?
Reply to: #933790 by Wry Me
Aug 30, 2016 8:58am
Thread Board
I'd love to argue about this, but I have to finish my letter to Niante demanding they promote me to level 20.

Niante or Niantic? Very big <G> if you meant Niantic. What happens at level 20? I'm almost at 16 myself.
Re: Distance less than 1/10th mile
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #933807 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 30, 2016 9:00am
Thread Board
I figured that people know how to convert feet to their particular steps.

Hmmmm, I need to figure that out again. I did way back for my pedometer for Walking4Fun. That would be good info to know.

I hid it in the dark.

Wow, you are dedicated!

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Box is Right!

Sounds like a theme for a letterboxing event!!

KuKu
Coloring/puzzle hybrid postal tracker is now open
Board: Postals
Aug 30, 2016 9:03am
Thread Board
This will be a puzzle postal with a twist. The image is black with outlines similar to the popular coloring books. Participants get to color the image.

Check out the tracker and details at

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=9121
Aug 30, 2016 9:06am
Thread Board
Yes. And a bag of chips.
Re: Goodbye Willy Wonka . . . This Kitty Tips her Hat
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #933764 by Captain Slick Kitty
Aug 30, 2016 9:09am
Thread Board
I just read that he was singing along with Ella's Over The Rainbow as he slipped away.
So beautiful.
Rest in Peace.
Re: Suggestions for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #933720 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 9:11am
Thread Board
I just planted a box at Clingman's Dome. Head's up. Go early!
Re: Suggestions for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #933845 by crosscresent
Aug 30, 2016 9:12am
Thread Board
And their is a box at Goat's On the Roof. ♡♡♡
Re: Being a "tag along" on restricted boxes
Reply to: #933775 by MissMoon
Aug 30, 2016 9:13am
Thread Board
Wondered what Shaggy has been doing since his Mystery Machine Years.
Aug 30, 2016 9:15am
Thread Board
Well, I like using baggies. Sometimes people don't put the covers on properly. I once came across an intact box that had damp leaves in it, even though it was closed. I have no idea why that happened. At least the baggie had no leaves in it. Also, even a lock n lock can get cracked if someone hides it under some pointy rocks.
Reply to: #933848 by Penfeather
Aug 30, 2016 9:23am
Thread Board
I prefer duct taped baggies but they often do not hold up well particularly in the woods. Starting to rethink this practice if going into the woods. The are easily damaged and tend to be wet either from leaks or condensation. Of course if people don't reseal them it is the same as an open box. No solution for disrespectful boxers. However, a baggie does well in some areas when not on the ground or under rocks. Also like that they will fit in smaller hiding spots.

Just me two cents
Aug 30, 2016 9:51am
Thread Board
I have come across Lock n Locks that have been broken (flaps broken) or holes in the side (I think from beating ants off). In those cases the baggie is just an extra precaution (like double bagging logbooks).
Aug 30, 2016 9:52am
Thread Board
Yeah, I think 3 baggies is annoying. And they are usually 3 cheap baggies, too. One high quality bag for the stamp and logbook to share should be all that's necessary if you're using a good container and have planted in a reasonably dry location.
Aug 30, 2016 10:00am
Thread Board
Had anyone else experienced leakage with new LnL boxes that have not even been planted yet?

I was considering going baggie-less on some upcoming plants, so I did some water testing on a couple of LnL boxes last night. These were brand new LnL, direct from LnL, with a few scraps of paper placed inside, not near the seals, and both test boxes leaked. After only 15 minutes immersed in a sink of water they had water inside and the paper scraps were wet. They were not filled with water, but enough that when I tipped it to empty a few drops came out. I have had wet LnL boxes in the woods before and have just chalked it up to poor closure, weather-worn seals or dirt/baggie corners compromising the seal, but now I am wondering about that.

I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!
Reply to: #933840 by JampersandJ
Aug 30, 2016 10:10am
Thread Board
Niante or Niantic? Very big <G> if you meant Niantic.

One of the downsides of being a smartass is that sometimes you don't know what you're talking about. Heh. I asked my son who owned Pokemon Go! Musta misheard him. :)
What happens at level 20?I'm almost at 16 myself.

No clue. I'll ask him. Lovin' that edit button.
Reply to: #933852 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 10:21am
Thread Board
I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!

They (overseas) don't make them like we (USA) used to make them. Vote for Trump. He's decided to have his brand of ties made in the USA =;)
Anyone free to box Friday or Saturday?
Board: State: Missouri
Aug 30, 2016 10:22am
Thread Board
Hey friends, long time, no see. Just wondering if anyone was free to go letterboxing this Friday or Saturday, 9/2 or 9/3? My truck-driving hubby was supposed to be home Friday, but that's changed, and I now have a day off scheduled with nothing special to do. I need boxes all over the area, looking at St. Louis city and Forest Park, but open to suggestion. Thanks!

rozebud
Aug 30, 2016 10:31am
Thread Board
I hear/read so much about Lock n Locks being all that and more

Not so much in the arid hot southwest. Those flaps break off after a season. We're better off with nut containers and my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids. Still need baggies though.
Reply to: #933854 by Frenchie
Aug 30, 2016 10:40am
Thread Board
Just as I suspected.
Aug 30, 2016 10:51am
Thread Board
I took my baggies out of the LNL because they took up so much space and people didn't close the lids properly and the boxes got soaked. I personally hate baggies, and if a box is too full with multiples of them, I will take them out. One is plenty.

The downside of LNL is in Florida, if I plant with not enough shade, the snaps break. But Tupperware has gotten wet for me. No perfect solution. People in Florida have taken to no logbooks, they have given up on trying to keep the boxes dry.
Reply to: #933850 by Topcollector
Aug 30, 2016 11:09am
Thread Board
yes, I've heard of "double bagging." ;)
Reply to: #933856 by Wronghat
Aug 30, 2016 11:12am
Thread Board
my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids.

And it's soooooo much fun creating those empty containers!

Yum!

KuKu
Reply to: #933821 by Wronghat
Aug 30, 2016 11:25am
Thread Board
I get the mystery and surprise of going back and looking at the logbook, but if only half of the finds are being posted the amount of actual traffic any particular box is getting is not accurate. When someone looks at the latest postings and it shows 6 months or a year has gone by some may question is it still really there. I myself have looked at some boxes with little or no finds posted and took the chance and looked for the box and found it, but someone just starting out may not take that chance. That is where things become confusing and the whole concept of AQ is wasted. I guess it all depends on what is imporant to each letter boxer. I personally like to see the finds posted as well as going back to read my logbooks.
Reply to: #933834 by Frenchie
Aug 30, 2016 11:47am
Thread Board
but deleted her public comment as some might get the wrong impression =;)

Phew, good thing you deleted that public comment so that nobody could see it and get the wrong impression! Oh, wait... :^/
Reply to: #933839 by Bon Echo
Aug 30, 2016 12:06pm
Thread Board
Keep all of the information coming everyone thank you very much finding all of this very helpful-we have had every kind of trailer you can imagine hard sided-tent trailer-motorhome-fifth wheel etc. just want something that's easy to toe easy to store in the garage that I don't have to pay storage on that I can take out set up at the campground for a week and not have to worry about it

Bon echo your review was very helpful especially about the early 2000 Coleman models because that's exactly what I've been looking for lol and also the person that said they had the Viking for all those years ( I think it was a Viking ) that's good to know 19 years later you still have the same trailer and the canvas is still holding up on it etc.

Yes tent trailers have come a long long way in the last 20 years - I have an idea of what we want and I'm waiting for camping season to be over so that everyone that has camp in them over the season now wants to get rid of them and get into something bigger because that always happens ... The new tent trailers here in California are outrageously expensive between $13-$20,000 I just about had a heart attack I'm looking to spend a fraction of that price and there's plenty on craigslist to pick farm .
Thanks again everyone and please please keep your comments coming
visiting FL this weekend for business
Board: State: Florida
Aug 30, 2016 12:15pm
Thread Board
Hi all!
I'm heading down to Tampa this weekend on business, and may have some free time to go and do things (boxing??), but I'm not sure of the schedule, except for the middle of the day on Saturday. I'd love to meet with a friendly local guide, to get out of the convention center area for a couple hours.

PM me and I can give you my cell #, and maybe we can hang out? This is kind of an intimidating first time kind of business thing for me, and seeing a friendly face would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
E.N.
Reply to: #933863 by brailleboxer
Aug 30, 2016 12:29pm
Thread Board
I'm waiting for camping season to be over so that everyone that has camp in them over the season now wants to get rid of them and get into something bigger because that always happens ...

Actually your best bet at getting a trade-in might be in late winter. Here in Ontario (Canada, not California) the RV shows are held in February and March - that's when a lot of smaller trailers get traded in for bigger ones. I contacted a dealer in January about a couple trailers they had advertised. Those TTs weren't quite what I was after, and the dealer let me know they had a show coming up and would contact me know if any TTs came it. They got back to me a few weeks later because they did take in a TT as a trade-in from that show, which is the trailer we ended up buying from them.

The trailer shows are okay for seeing some of the new TTs, but most of the dealers only had the huge massive you-call-that-camping type trailers. Better profit margins.

FWIW, the dealer we bought from also rents out TTs for a few years and then sells them. Prices are decent if you can accept that it was a rental. That deal removed a some of the "breakable luxury" items (like power lift and I forget what else), and then reinstalled them prior to resale.

Used 10' TTs, 2004 - 2008 were around $4000 - $7000 CND when I was shopping. We paid $4500 and I think I could sell it now for the same price 4 years later. depreciation is very steep in the first couple years but pretty much levels off after that - not like a automobile which goes towards $200 in scrap value over ~10 years. IMO.
Reply to: #933861 by Una Marlee Sue
Aug 30, 2016 12:34pm
Thread Board
When someone looks at the latest postings and it shows 6 months or a year has gone by some may question is it still really there.

I find it immensely satisfying to find a box that hasn't been found in years--it's like Howard Carter discovering Tut's tomb.