A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Are we supposed to mark boxes that we can't find as a strike
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #929583 by SpringChick
Jun 28, 2016 10:10am
Thread Board
The current way of doing things is actually a far cry from the early days. Back then, we printed up clues and went hiking (usually not just a drive to the local rest area)... generally we had no idea who had last found the box, when the box had last been found, or if there had been any attempts where the box was not found -- we logged our finds in our logbooks and logbooks were private. Some were there, some were not. Either way, it was all in a day of letterboxing... for me personally, there was always joy in finding a box, but I can't say there was lack of joy in not finding a box... still an enjoyable walk in the woods, and a bit of mind exercise.

I spent a few winters reading every post (and there are a lot) of the first 4-5 years to try and capture the feeling of the early days of boxing and understand and appreciate the development of North American boxing (and not talk out my rear end about boxing so much). It was very interesting and I highly recommend it to all 2nd-5th wave boxers out there. Folks back in the day were literally waiting for a letterbox to be planted in their area( though they'd take a lot of long road trips for a single box) so they'd have a box to find that weekend. Boxers often posted about their weekend with details about the journey and finds. Just amazing personal interactions between the first rag tag bunch of letterboxing pioneers.

Just now I'm thinking that is why I enjoy finding and making mystery boxes. In a way it recreates that atmosphere of the first few years where you are planting boxes for other like-minded letterboxers and can be happy with a handful of finders & finds.
Re: AVAILABLE to Ink-fetch-replant for slackboxing
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #929636 by deniserows
Jun 28, 2016 10:19am
Thread Board
All i ask is you let me follow you around.

Don't know how Alaskans do their slackboxing, but around here we'd be following you!

;)

See ya on the trails!

Campsite 301
Re: Benefits of yoga ...
Reply to: #929584 by Warrior Woman
Jun 28, 2016 10:53am
Thread Board
It sounds like you earned your "warrior" status. :)

It was quite inspiring to read.
Re: LBNA on safari
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #929642 by DM Scuba Brat
Jun 28, 2016 11:17am
Thread Board
very interesting.

I checked on my Macbook Air - Safari & Chrome works fine.

My iPhone (Safari) is getting the same message as you - MySQL Error: 1064
Jun 28, 2016 11:38am
Thread Board
i will personally ink all the stamps. i will get down and dirty to fetch the box. i will repackage neatly. i will recover with debris. i will help solve the clues. i can even read the clues if so desired. All i ask is you let me follow you around and get to know you. Any Takers?

I will be hanging a bit closer to the campground for the most part since I've done all the planting, but I'd LOVE to grab the campsite and night boxes with you! There will be plenty of others who would like your company while collecting the traditional Tupperware trail treasures. We will have a campfire chair reserved for you on Grateful Row so you can rest your bones as needed while enjoying a bite to eat with a beverage of your choice!

See you soon!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #929624 by KatieKat
Jun 28, 2016 11:44am
Thread Board
And yet I have no trouble on my laptop. Both are apple computers. Go figure!
Reply to: #929642 by DM Scuba Brat
Jun 28, 2016 11:52am
Thread Board
I tried chrome and IE, I'm getting the same error code with each one...
Hard to log in and change your passwords when it will not let you log in.
Re: logging
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #929628 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jun 28, 2016 12:13pm
Thread Board
I think I have all my actual trackers logged, but I think there's a bag of random trades from several people. Not sure... it's on my desk, in line with several other projects.
Jun 28, 2016 12:45pm
Thread Board
I'm looking forward to playing with you. :-)
Indiana State Parks
Board: State: Indiana
Jun 28, 2016 1:09pm
Thread Board
Question for you smart Indiana folks.... :-)

Has anyone ever approached the IN DNR or individual park rangers about placing "known" boxes in the parks?

This is the 100th anniversary year for the state park system, and next month Turkey Run will be hosting a celebration. TR is my absolute favorite place in the entire world, and I've placed, found, and lost many boxes there over the years. I live in SC now and visit usually once a year. We've made plans to be there that weekend of course.

Several years ago I carved a portrait stamp of Juliett Strauss, the inspiration for the "lady" statue at TR. She was really the savior angel of the lady that eventually became TR. The stamp stayed for awhile but as stamps do disappeared. I've carved a replacement using my original tracing. My thought was to approach the Rangers or perhaps the Naturalist at the Nature Center about a temporary or long-term placement there to be retrieved on request.

If that is something which has been covered, outruled, and has caused problems over the years already, I won't open up an issue and simply place it elsewhere in the park. My time once there will be limited so I want to do all the prep work I can beforehand.

GreyCrazy
Turkey Run 100th anniversary mini-meet?
Jun 28, 2016 1:14pm
Thread Board
Anyone else planning to attend the 100th anniversary of Turkey Run State Park next month? Will be traveling from SC for a very brief visit and thought it might be fun to do a quick hello one evening after it's too dark to hike. We could meet in the family room at the Inn or upstairs on the balcony. I'll be there with family (noxers) so can't take a long time doing it, but if anyone else is there to celebrate the event we could meet and say hello!

I have at least one box to plant while I'm there (see my related thread in this board) and I also have a box at Shades that I don't think has ever been found. After several years of sleeping it needs some visitors! There might be a few other boxes in the area we could discuss and help each other with too.

The celebration is Sunday, July 17. I don't think they've released or advertised any plans yet that I've seen but would love to hear any details.

GreyCrazy
Re: Are we supposed to mark boxes that we can't find as a strike
Reply to: #929646 by dingus dufus
Jun 28, 2016 1:19pm
Thread Board
Yes, dingus, you are right. The earliest version of our clues was posting them on the talk list. The earliest version of our finds was posting a sit-rep for each box we found. Ah, the good old days.

Warrior Woman
first find 2000, first plant 2001
Jun 28, 2016 1:46pm
Thread Board
me me me
i hate boxing all alone
How does this work?
Board: Personal Travelers
Jun 28, 2016 1:51pm
Thread Board
I have been doing traditional letterboxes for a few years now and have just read up on Personal Travelers but I have no idea how it works. Could someone be so kind enough to explain it to me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, "denvered"
Re: How does this work?
Reply to: #929660 by denvered
Jun 28, 2016 2:19pm
Thread Board
Re: How does this work?
Reply to: #929660 by denvered
Jun 28, 2016 2:34pm
Thread Board
It is an extra stamp you can show off when you meet up with other letterboxers, at events or whatever. Sometimes there is a clue or a riddle.they have to solve, such as "guess the name of my dog" or "tell me about your favorite food". Good ice breakers for events. So you can stamp them into people's logbooks. Some people have several personal travellers or special ones for different occasions.

Then there's people like me who just let people stamp my personal travelers if they ask for them. I'd rather spend the time chatting and get to know you.
Re: Watch Box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #927567 by Nature Hikers
Jun 28, 2016 2:39pm
Thread Board
I have one tag for boxes I'm interested in getting sometime (green), and one for trips (orange).

If we were going to Astoria, I would tag all the ones we want to get there for a trip with the orange tag.

Later, I could look at the list by searching for Astoria with the orange trip tag.

I can then easily log the ones we did get, and then remove the orange tags afterward.

I love those tags!!

KuKu
Re: Which one? (LTC Spoiler)
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #929600 by StampingIsMyForte
Jun 28, 2016 3:04pm
Thread Board
The tie dye, no question. PS I'm in the tracker, but just had to peek!
Supplies Galore
Jun 28, 2016 3:17pm
Thread Board
It's time to be in shock. I never knew we had a store right in the neighborhood with all the fancy supplies not seen at Michael's. I never went in, because I called, and they said they did not have carving materials, but--wow! All those Stazon inks and so many brands and colors of ink, distress inks, and the embossing supplies you folks are always mentioning. I have never seen any of them before.

Being cautious. I wanted to get every Ranger ink color. But I only bought colored and glossy blank cards. Waiting until I have an actual project, and need a particular ink color. I didn't even look at the copic markers. Stamps n More [I think that's the name] has an incredible selection, and I have been driving by it every day. Jeesh.
Re: Advice on Southern Idaho
Board: State: Idaho
Reply to: #929638 by IrishRef
Jun 28, 2016 3:38pm
Thread Board
I see you are going to be in Bozeman, too. What route are you planning on taking? I live in Island Park, Idaho, and can recommend some of my favorite finds, depending on your route.
Re: Indiana State Parks
Reply to: #929656 by GreyCrazy
Jun 28, 2016 4:10pm
Thread Board
I received permission from the park naturalist at Pokagon for the 2009 GLG. The boxes were temporary due to the density restrictions in the park. I communicated almost a year in advance. Check out bulletin 46, and see if any new rules are in place.
Re: Supplies Galore
Reply to: #929666 by Sunia
Jun 28, 2016 4:12pm
Thread Board
Stamps n More

And you drove by it??? lol
Re: Turkey Run 100th anniversary mini-meet?
Reply to: #929657 by GreyCrazy
Jun 28, 2016 4:15pm
Thread Board
We plan to travel out there this summer, just haven't nailed down the exact dates. Want to be first finder on the Shades box.
Dropped trackers
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jun 28, 2016 4:19pm
Thread Board
I'm very sorry but due to some personal events I had to drop from a few trackers that are happening in the future.
The ones I have cards or stamps made for I will stay in and I will of course still do the two trackers that I am hosting.
I'm very sorry for inconveniences.
-Joy
Re: Tuskawilla, anyone?
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #929637 by DM Scuba Brat
Jun 28, 2016 5:15pm
Thread Board
Yes, the two ElfQuest ones. Unless they were muggled or otherwise natured away, they should both be there. The box in Maitland would be a wild goose chase - I'll have to give that one a go someday. The one in Bear Creek Park would be easier to guide someone to. :)
Jun 28, 2016 5:26pm
Thread Board
deniserows,

I am so glad you are coming to the Andover Event. I am looking forward to seeing you again. I have been in Fairbanks, AK for the past two weeks - flying back home tomorrow evening. I love your home state.

Sahalie
Re: Dropped trackers
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #929671 by Neen and Joy
Jun 28, 2016 5:30pm
Thread Board
No apologies. Just hope all is Ok.
Re: Positive thoughts, please, for TrailTroll
Board: Country: United States
Reply to: #929019 by PapaSolo
Jun 28, 2016 5:32pm
Thread Board
Any new news? Is she doing any better? Lots of worried/hopeful pins and needles going all around.
Re: Another California anniversary
Board: State: California
Reply to: #929635 by deniserows
Jun 28, 2016 5:45pm
Thread Board
We in NORCAL are truly blessed…

You are absolutely correct about being blessed. We have so many outstanding, crazily dedicated (you know who you are) and talented boxers in these parts, great stuff is always happening.

Old Blue
hey, did you just call me a silverback!!
Re: Advice on Southern Idaho
Board: State: Idaho
Reply to: #929667 by Rydeswitheagles
Jun 28, 2016 5:51pm
Thread Board
Rather wide open at this point. I flying into Salt Lake City and spending probably most of a day boxing in SLC. Thought about heading up through Odgen and possibly over to Pocatello for the night. Then meandering through Yellowstone and on to Bozeman. Rather ambitious but I am allowing about 4 days to get there. Open to suggestions since it is hard to judge roads and realistic times.

It looks like that is on the way to Yellowstone on 20. That should work.

Any suggestions and hints would help. Because of my limited time, probably wouldn't be able to do an hiking. So looking for drivebys, indoors but would consider an up to one mile for an awesome box.