A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Passage of Time
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #924378 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 13, 2016 6:12pm
Thread Board
I'm pretty sure Okie Dog is Safari Man's sister.

Oh, gosh, yes, you are right! I got confused there, and my profound apologies to those involved!!
Re: Alternative Mapping
Reply to: #924362 by Baqash
Apr 13, 2016 6:20pm
Thread Board
I don't follow.

I can export all the data point from the Google map onto a specific type of file which preserves whatever data you give it and GPS location.

The county map is pretty non exportable besides the maps as far as I'm aware
Reply to: #924363 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 6:29pm
Thread Board
It's funny, cause I remember SOME of the names of people who have responded to this thread, but most I cannot place...or don't remember the personality behind the "handle" or "trail name". So help me out... Is wassamatta u the sysop? Or was that Green Tortuga? Or are they the same person?

My memory has faded, and I apologize, but that's a problem with getting older. I turned 60 and just don't remember relationships I had any more.
Reply to: #924385 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 6:41pm
Thread Board
I was asking if you can export the location data from AQ or if you retyped everything
Reply to: #924387 by Baqash
Apr 13, 2016 6:47pm
Thread Board
Retyped everything. I have my own digital log book which I maintain.

Typical logging is as follows.
Log on Aq/lbna
Place pin on map (at as exact a location I can manage)
Determine country based off Google maps if in doubt
Log digital log.
Update county map as needed.
Re: Is Michael's phasing out their stamp carving section?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #918335 by MamaShark
Apr 13, 2016 7:19pm
Thread Board
I bought some pink stuff in one of our Michaels stores today ($6.49 for the small slab before coupon) and had to smirk when I saw the rack for carving tools was empty and only three slabs of pink remained.

Because of my new recruits. *smirk*

I'm hoping that the increase in sales of these items (*smirk* because of my new recruits...) will encourage our store to keep stocking it rather than using it as a good chance to phase it out.

Oh, dear. My *smirk* got stuck. Just gonna go see if I can push my face back into place with the round end of my Speedball tool...
Reply to: #918340 by StampingIsMyForte
Apr 13, 2016 7:20pm
Thread Board
The one closest to you does! Aisle 20. Very small section.
Reply to: #918335 by MamaShark
Apr 13, 2016 8:09pm
Thread Board
I know this is an old post but it popped up in my feed due to recent replies. Today i was in my closest Michaels buying paints and canvases for work and i happened to see it an aisle over from where i was. .....no where near the rest of the stamps and inks like in other stores. They had the big block too,so i got it.

The cashier asked me what it was for.
Reply to: #924389 by General Word Nerd
Apr 13, 2016 10:47pm
Thread Board
I bought some pink stuff in one of our Michaels stores today

At least you have a local store that carries it. Nocraft stores around here do. At least we have Stampeaz.
Reply to: #924391 by Munkeybee
Apr 13, 2016 10:52pm
Thread Board
Ditto, the Michaels stores in my area have the carving blocks in the art department. It is the other side of the store from the stamps, ink pads etc.

Stocking up when I get out that way. They seem to always have an internet coupon (40 or 50% off one item) you can pull up with your cellular device to be scanned.
Re: One-week swaps?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #924368 by Maude
Apr 14, 2016 1:22am
Thread Board
I was hoping that link was going to be a picture of the award winning LTC. :)
Reply to: #924383 by Capt Kirk
Apr 14, 2016 3:34am
Thread Board
If there is nothing left of the box and it has been marked as "retired", anything you plant would then be a totally new box. While you could certainly place it in the same location, it would really be "your" box at that point. Perhaps you could do a quick plant at this location since it sounds like it has good accessibility for travelers, and then, if you so desire, take a little time to do a nice tribute box for Safari Man. He was well-loved and respected in the letterboxing community and I am sure you could get a donated stamp and logbook if that is not something you would be able to do. (I would be happy to help with either a stamp or logbook).

SpringChick
Re: Find Count on my Statistics page
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #924243 by Green Tortuga
Apr 14, 2016 5:29am
Thread Board
Thanks Ryan. I remember finding these boxes at an event, they must have been given to someone else to plant.
I'm guilty of doing this, but kept my boxes in the same state, next time I will create another listing, good lesson to learn.
Re: Fitness trackers
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #924365 by turkey feathers
Apr 14, 2016 6:00am
Thread Board
yes, and you can download apps like mapmyrun, but I don't want to use all my battery and data while running.
Re: board bug or oddity
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #924379 by Green Tortuga
Apr 14, 2016 6:15am
Thread Board
However.... the "first" button is a little "squishy." It can mean different things in various contexts.

IMHO, the most utility and least confusion would be to *always* goto the first message in the thread of the message you are viewing. AQ appears to know this info for that message. I think the thing you will almost always want to actually do is see the first or last message in a thread quickly (in my case, I wanted to see the rules I established in the first message of the thread, and then respond to the last message, so the order made sense), as opposed to the first or last message on a board or list of messages from multiple boards/threads. which seems a bit arbitrary.

So, if you are viewing multiple messages from different threads/boards at the same time, then "first" should prolly be grayed out if the thread is ambiguous. I'm not sure how it has any utility in this context, but I imagine it might.

I have not thought about it all that much, you and your long time users are obviously comfortable with this definition, and there may be many considerations/use cases I don't see, but if the meaning of a button changes in context without a visual cue to how that semiosis is affected by the current context, I think it will be confusing to newbies or those used to other systems.

Hope that makes sense.
Can anyone use transparencies for image transfers or LTCs?
Apr 14, 2016 6:19am
Thread Board
My company is moving tomorrow, and the Great Office Purge has resulted in the discovery of quite a few boxes of transparencies. If anyone is interested and is willing to send me a SASE, I'm happy to share! Please contact me privately. Thanks.
Every season of Survivor...
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Apr 14, 2016 6:19am
Thread Board
On almost every season of Survivor there is someone that I find truly and utterly despicable. And every time I say, now this person, they're the WORST. Well, last night? Those two? Downright bleeping disgusting. And the ironic thing is they are both playing for female family members! I want someone at the finale to ask that question to both of them. How would you feel if someone did and treated your female family members the way you two treated the females last night.

Oh I get it. It's a game but when all is said and done, they are still human beings.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! *bleep* *bleep* pieces of *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* I hope you *bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*!!
Reply to: #924393 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 14, 2016 6:24am
Thread Board
Indeed, for now. I'm really hoping they'll keep stocking it, as it's cheaper than Amazon.
Reply to: #924394 by IrishRef
Apr 14, 2016 6:26am
Thread Board
Yes, and you can take in a physical coupon for 20% off your entire purchase. They won't let you stack the coupons, so I take my daughter and give her cash and she buys one item with the 40% coupon, and I buy the rest with the smaller coupon as a separate transaction.
Reply to: #924399 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2016 6:42am
Thread Board
Oh, as an aside, my issue has not been fixed. After reading everything, I think I understand why. IMHO, this should be fixed as described above, as it provides more utility as described above.

I click this message

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326

Then click "first" and expect to see the first message in the thread, as I see that as the natural and most useful expectation. I now think, based on your explanation, that this just must be a search result with one message in it and no context. I do not understand why there would be no context.

Why it doesn't make sense, as I said earlier in this thread, is that you can "reply" to the message and your reply is naturally added to the end of its thread, and you can "start new thread", and the correct board context is given in the "start new thread" function, so the illusion of context is given on those functions. No, maybe not a bug, but confusing and less useful, IMHO.

I get around this by clicking "thread", which appears to give context, then "first". I finally understand. It is the illusion of context described in the previous paragraph that provides the confusion to me.
New Postal Ring Available for Sign-Ups
Board: Postals
Apr 14, 2016 7:23am
Board
I know some folks shy away from the CD Mix rings because it requires making an entire mix of songs and burning a CD, so here is a ring for those music lovers who don't want to do the whole deal!

In this postal the playlist is a collective effort with each participant choosing 1 song and carving a related stamp to send around the ring.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=8952

SpringChick
Re: Every season of Survivor...
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #924401 by thndrkttn
Apr 14, 2016 7:49am
Thread Board
Ohmygoodness....you read my mind....
We were all yelling at the tv calling them bullies, sociopaths, men w/o souls. UNBELIEVABLE. I want all 3 gone! Something like this (game or not) shows a persons true character don't you think?
SD
1000th Find
Board: Region: Southeast
Apr 14, 2016 8:04am
Thread Board
Thanks to Brown Cow for planting a new box in Florida last week, it was my 1000th find!
Re: Horunavi: Curving Eraser by SEED
Reply to: #924374 by Wry Me
Apr 14, 2016 8:07am
Thread Board
Okay, so I was able to successfully cancel that order. Now I have my eye on this one. Cost is actually better, at $0.37 /sq. in.

Before I click the button, does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't by this??

Just For Fun
Reply to: #924399 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2016 8:26am
Thread Board
I think the thing you will almost always want to actually do is see the first or last message in a thread quickly

Not necessarily.... If I ran a search for all posts with the word "hitchhiker" in it, I'd expect the "first" button to take me to the first post on AQ with the word "hitchhiker" in it. It would be kind of weird to me if I weren't able to see posts with the word "hitchhiker" just because they didn't happen to land in the same thread that I was already looking at.

Now if my search was for all posts with the word "hitchhiker" from a specific thread, then I'd expect the "first" button to point to the first post in that thread with the word "hitchhiker." (Still, it wouldn't be the first post in the thread--just the first post in the thread that used the word "hitchhiker.")

Though admittedly, I don't see any use for a "first" button when the search consists of "all posts." They probably are more likely trying to get to the beginning of a thread or maybe even the beginning of a board. It might actually be a good idea if AQ assumed a narrower context if none is provided.

I click this message

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326

Just out of curiosity..... how are you getting to a link like this? Maybe instead of having AQ assuming a thread context when none is provided, whatever link you use to get there could just include it and point to http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326;threadId=133148 instead. Make the original link you follow include a thread context.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924387 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2016 8:38am
Thread Board
I was asking if you can export the location data from AQ

I got the My Maps on Google to accept data exported from AQ. First I did an advanced search of my boxes--apparently only 100 can be done per layer. Then I mapped the results to KMI. After it did its thing I checked my download file and an earth file had appeared with the data. I could edit that file by clicking on the pin I wanted and deleting ones such as mysteries and bonus boxes. I went to My Maps and chose import data and then dragged the earth icon onto the add a layer. It worked.
Reply to: #924410 by Green Tortuga
Apr 14, 2016 9:17am
Thread Board
Just out of curiosity..... how are you getting to a link like this?

Its just on the left of "My Page" under recent messages. I almost always read messages via these links so I can see the subject and poster before clicking on a whole thread and just cherrypick the messages I want to read.

I could also see bookmarking messages, as I should have in this case to keep referring back to it quickly.
Reply to: #924411 by Wronghat
Apr 14, 2016 9:33am
Thread Board
I got the My Maps on Google to accept data exported from AQ.

Thanks. 100 at a time. guess i'll save it for when i have better service and more time.
Re: Find Count on my Statistics page
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #924235 by Dawnkey
Apr 14, 2016 9:42am
Thread Board
P.S. Noticed there's a Shorty/Toth box in Hawaii with no recorded finders. Could be fun!

You better hurry, I expect to be there today.
Re: Just Curious
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #924018 by Angel Winks
Apr 14, 2016 9:43am
Thread Board
I go to Houghton /Hancock at least 3 times a year. Houghton and Keweenaw counties have some really beautiful, scenic places. There are a number of letterboxes up there, some that are only listed on LbNA. They could lead you to some very scenic places, historic sites or out-of-the-way places. There are very few crowds, so muggles are rarely a problem.

Mackinac Island is another favorite of mine. I love hiking and biking around the island. There's a ton of letterboxes there but there's also a lot of people. Muggles are everywhere.

Prince Igor