A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: anonymous feedback
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #924288 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 7:04pm
Thread Board
Hey you guys! I was there the first week of March!

;) ;)

A little inter-phylum fun. but only one of them seems to be enjoying themselves!
Re: Alternative Mapping
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #924293 by PI Joe
Apr 12, 2016 7:48pm
Thread Board
Oh, that one is nice too... I really like that you can actually see all the different counties.

SpringChick
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 12, 2016 8:05pm
Thread Board
I fear what would happen if you got to make one of your video clues for a letterbox of this.
Re: Eastern Panhandle Meetup
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #924262 by RideTheMoose
Apr 12, 2016 8:19pm
Thread Board
We had a couple events in Harpers Ferry in October. One year it was lovely, perfect weather. The next year: snow. We held the event at a restaurant, which was one of the buildings lost in the recent fire. IrishRef had an event at a hotel in Martinsburg, with boxes planted all the way from Falling Water to Shepherdstown. The event might be better attended if it's also posted in the MD & VA boards. MD in particular has a lot of very active boxers right now. :)
Apr 12, 2016 8:33pm
Thread Board
Joe, how did you make yours?
Reply to: #924283 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 8:44pm
Thread Board
You obviously don't live in Worcester, MA. Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that.... *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 8:48pm
Thread Board
Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that..

Maybe we need to slightly change your trailname to "Groan Tortuga"?
Re: Just Curious
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #924018 by Angel Winks
Apr 12, 2016 8:52pm
Thread Board
Going with a few other, not so mentioned locales. The Island should be on this list too, but most know of that one!

One of the first boxes that always comes to mind when thinking about favorite boxes and the placement of them is Midnight Fey's Challenge in the Mancelona area. Considering all the times I have visited that town, that was my first visit to Wetzel Lake. It is a nice little tucked away lake. The interesting and fun way to access that box puts it in any list dealing with locations of a letterbox.

If I could purchase a house in the northern part of Lower Michigan, it would be on Old Mission Peninsula. That answer hasn't changed in a decade or two. One of my favorite boxes is Springchick's Ghost of Bowers Harbor out on Old Mission Peninsula, as that has been a ghost story known to me for umpteen years now. Also, I appreciate the other boxes planted out there or in the nearby Traverse City area. Thanks, Angel Winks, Webfoot, and others.

Works4us has a letterbox that made me wonder if I was in the Ann Arbor area still. The gravel pit turned preserve was quite a unique spot in Southeastern Michigan. Ann Arbor is a place I would love to live in as well. There are quite a number of wonderful boxes in interesting locations there. The Ypsitucky Queen's H was in a memorable location in the cemetery. I remember hoisting myself over a giant log. Plus, there was another of hers in an abandoned cemetery. Dawnkey and Brave New Penguin's Engineer was a nice recent find and location in A2.

Urban locations are also beautiful and oft overlooked. One person could go into Detroit or Flint and see grit and horror. I go there and see wonderful, charming buildings with new changes happening in these cities. I especially love seeing them at night or in the day against a blue sky. I have found boxes in Detroit, so going to throw it in the mix.

Haven't done a whole lot of letterboxing in Michigan since returning in 2014. Would love to explore some more locations. You all are welcome to contact me so we could plan a day of letterboxing, but this month is a little busy.
Apr 12, 2016 9:44pm
Thread Board
this one is great too!
Re: Lawrence
Board: State: Kansas
Reply to: #924255 by Starleaf
Apr 12, 2016 9:54pm
Thread Board
I've been to Lawrence many times. My auntie, one of them, lives there. Maybe someday I will visit again... If I visit again soon, I will send out a message.
Re: Visiting in May!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #924153 by DM Scuba Brat
Apr 12, 2016 9:58pm
Thread Board
Sounds like fun! Congrats on the Half Marathon commitment. If you want some running trail recommendations I know some in the Inland Empire. I'm a native, I have a car and would love to box too! I will have to check my work schedule for that Monday. Keep me posted on your overall plans! Enjoy California!
Re: Checks
Board: Money and Investing
Reply to: #924075 by Crazyolis
Apr 12, 2016 10:23pm
Thread Board
Teach him responsible financial behavior. I would definitely start my kids with using plain simple green cash. Let them feel and see the cash. No cards, no checks, no speed pass! All cash. It seems that young kids don't fully grasp where the cash is coming from and they believe it is endless. Teach him how to earn that green stuff, how to save it in his personal account, how to create and stick to a budget, and how to withdraw the money when he needs it. Teach him the benefits of compound interest and the downfall of getting into debt. Being able to get in debt to "build credit" can come later. Good Luck!
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 11:50pm
Thread Board
Did you cramp up while posing for that?
Apr 13, 2016 2:33am
Thread Board
I like the county maps.
Do the colors mean anything?
Here's mine
Reply to: #924286 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2016 5:18am
Thread Board
That turtle is NOT having a good time.
Reply to: #924315 by DS
Apr 13, 2016 5:23am
Thread Board
That turtle is NOT having a good time.

I agree. Supposedly, the statue is supposed to portray "innocence, joy, and rebirth." Um, not so much.
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 13, 2016 5:27am
Thread Board
Hey you guys! I was there the first week of March!

It's nice to see your interest in the arts!
Re: May the Fourth Be With You
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #924266 by FloridaFour
Apr 13, 2016 6:03am
Thread Board
Or when they do sign in, but don't bother to send their cards, and don't have the courtesy to drop so people know what's going on.

The way I figure it, if there is a swap I really really want to do, and it fills up before I have a chance to join, I should just make a card anyway. That way, even when if someone drops at the very last minute, I can jump in. It worked for me on a great swap I just did.
Reply to: #924319 by Penfeather
Apr 13, 2016 6:25am
Thread Board
I have thought about doing that too.
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 6:26am
Thread Board
Where did you get the county map and how do you update it?
Reply to: #924320 by christmas6
Apr 13, 2016 6:27am
Thread Board
I've only done it once, but it really worked out well for me! And if, by some chance, NOBODY drops out (how likely is that?) then what's the worst that will happen? I'll have cards for trading. Boo hoo.
Horunavi: Curving Eraser by SEED
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Apr 13, 2016 7:00am
Thread Board
Hi All -

I have a bit more info on the Horu-navi carving material that has been discussed recently on this board. (If you need to catch up on this discussion, you can start here:Thread)

First, you can actually get this on Amazon -- but the selection isn't that great, and the price can be daunting, probably to pay for shipping from Japan. The lowest priced one is $11.90 with free prime (two-day) shipping for one postcard size piece, here. I believe the 'postcard size' is equivalent to an A6 paper, which is approximately 4" x 6". A slightly better value is this listing: 5xPostcard. With this one you get (5) postcard sized pieces for about 50 bucks. To see all the listings, search 'seed eraser' on Amazon.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/ has the best selection. There are multiple sizes, colors, and it seems even a variance in stiffness. The problem is the high shipping costs. To get an actual shipping price, you have to submit an order and wait. (The order is not processed unless you approve it upon receiving the shipping price.) The shop will respond (within a day it seems) with the actual shipping cost. I tried this yesterday. My order was (2) A7 pieces, about 4" x 3" each. The price for just the carving material was about $10. The shipping quote was for an additional $25.

So, to compare:
First Amazon Listing: $0.50 / sq. in.
Second Amazon Listing: $0.43 / sq. in.
Rakuten Proposed Order:$1.46 / sq. in.

For comparison, a 4" x 6" piece of pink stuff is about $6, so the price is $0.25 / sq. in. for just the material. Using Stampeaz as an example, the shipping for this one item to my house is $6.80, bumping the price up to $0.53 / sq. in. For the shipping price to remain at $6.80, I can order up to (10) 4" x 6" pieces. With this bulk order, the price is $0.28 / sq. in.

I think I'm off to purchase the (5) postcard size set. With free shipping, the expected delivery date is May 6- 30. The expedited shipping option has an expected delivery date of April 21 - 26, but costs $56!
update map
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 13, 2016 7:07am
Thread Board
I am trying to update my map on my profile page.
I need to add Virginia to the states I've boxed in.

Anyone have any idea how to do this?
Re: update map
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #924324 by Purple Gem and Tou Ron Ron
Apr 13, 2016 7:27am
Thread Board
Go back to the site you used to create it and update it there.

K
board bug or oddity
Apr 13, 2016 8:28am
Thread Board
First, I'm not sure if this is where bugs/oddities should be posted. I'm suggesting something be changed, I guess :)

When I'm on my board ("Maze of Doors Puzzlehunt"), and click "first", (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=1;), I expect to be taken to the first message of that board. Instead I am taken to the first message of "AQ Announcements". When on that board, I click "Last" (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?), I am taken to the last message of my board. That also seems to be the behavior on "Letterbox Chatter", but not on "Suggestion Box". I don't remember it working that way in the past, but I could be wrong.

It is very confusing, at least to me. IMHO, "first" and "last" on a board should be w.r.t. to that board or that thread, not the whole system. I see little utility in a link that often goes to the first message from 2004 from any board.

HTH
Reply to: #924260 by StampingIsMyForte
Apr 13, 2016 8:48am
Thread Board
Many apologies for the drop. I was looking forward to this swap and intended to complete it, but I'm having trouble with time management and didn't want to rush/half ass the cards.
Reply to: #924321 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 13, 2016 8:51am
Thread Board
I outline the process here

It's not automated by any means. But well worth it.
Reply to: #924305 by Sunia
Apr 13, 2016 9:04am
Thread Board
Joe, how did you make yours?

The original map comes from the Census Bureau. I use MS Paint to fill in the counties as I box and cache. Red for geocahces, blue for letterboxes, and purple for both. You have to save the resulting colored version as a JPG image in order to upload it to AQ. I have added it to my AQ profile.
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 9:06am
Thread Board
Do the colors mean anything?

Red for geocaching, blue for letterboxing, purple for both. I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?
Reply to: #924331 by PI Joe
Apr 13, 2016 9:08am
Thread Board
I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?

I meant the colored pins on the Google map.