A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Old logbooks
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #923959 by Early Risers
Apr 9, 2016 1:50pm
Thread Board
To my mind, the three ways of leaving notes are to three different audiences. The public online log is to others who may decide to hunt this box in the future. The private online comment is to the box planter and owner. And notes in the physical log book in the box are to the people who find the box after me. That may not be the original intent when letterboxing first started out, but it's the scheme that makes the most sense to me now -- especially as I, myself, often plant letterboxes that I have little hope of ever revisiting. Even the boxes I've planted locally are lucky to get revisited once a year, so if you want me to get your message in a timely manner the online log is a better idea.

I also confess that, when logging a find, I often resort to the old adage "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." Let's face it, not all boxes are pearls, and sometimes I'm so disappointed I have to bite my tongue.
Barnes Leap Follies
Board: State: Maine
Apr 9, 2016 4:32pm
Board
New clues are posted for this series. Missing stamps have been replaced.
Reply to: #923960 by Kirbert
Apr 9, 2016 5:02pm
Thread Board
Like Mom says, "Just say, 'Thank you.' and then, be quiet. haha
Apr 9, 2016 5:35pm
Thread Board
Well said. I have to share one of my 'favorite' comments that I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is, as anyone who subsequently finds the box will also recognize the amount of moisture therein, yet I find this written quite often, especially as I attempt to rehabilitate older abandoned boxes.

Don't even get me started on "logbook full..."

:)
single available
Board: Postals
Apr 9, 2016 6:11pm
Board
Re: Cost of first-class stamps is dropping 2 cents on Sunday!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #923924 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Apr 9, 2016 6:12pm
Thread Board
is this because of something you did?? :)
Re: Young lino carver
Board: Art Corner
Reply to: #922836 by Dawnkey
Apr 9, 2016 6:19pm
Thread Board
Wow....how great is that!!! Tremendous talent.....I'm so jealous!
OMG!! only 6 months.....
Board: State: Ohio
Apr 9, 2016 6:23pm
Thread Board
til SOHT?!! This year's theme is: THE TWILIGHT ZONE and we are looking for stamps from some of the TV episodes or what would have been featured in the shows?!! We know some of you might have to google this series since it aired before some of you were born but it is definitely a good addition to our SOHT themes!! Any carvers interested?? We will return your stamps or hide them in Ohio if that is what you prefer.. Thanks in advance for any help!
Re: OMG!! only 6 months.....
Reply to: #923973 by R gang
Apr 9, 2016 6:28pm
Thread Board
pick me! I have a Rod Serling stamp somewhere....
Apr 9, 2016 6:34pm
Thread Board
Someday I'll make it out, Cincinnati isn't that far... we're so booked, though, it probably won't be until 2019!
SOHT!!
Apr 9, 2016 6:37pm
Thread Board
We realized SOHT is only 6 months away?? This year's theme is:THE TWILIGHT ZONE & we are looking for stamps that might be from the TV show or what might have been 1 of the shows?! We will return your stamp or hide it here in Ohio whichever you prefer. Thanks in advance for any help with stamps!
Reply to: #923974 by LROSEM
Apr 9, 2016 6:38pm
Thread Board
Oh My Gosh that would be great!!
Reply to: #923969 by Nairon
Apr 9, 2016 6:38pm
Thread Board
I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is

What? I'm not allowed to sign logbooks anymore? Sheesh. *shaking head*

Just because I don't log my finds online doesn't mean they aren't real finds!!!!!!!

-- Logbook Wet
another postal single
Board: Postals
Apr 9, 2016 6:43pm
Board
Re: SOHT!!
Reply to: #923976 by R gang
Apr 9, 2016 7:18pm
Thread Board
This is awesome! I'm in for carving one or two! But now I need to start watching those old shows again first....hope they are on netflix!! Looking forward to my first SOHT!
Reply to: #923300 by Green Tortuga
Apr 9, 2016 7:25pm
Thread Board
I have a Dia De Los Muertos box, and I asked people to write messages about or to their lost loved ones. I need to go check the box and see if anyone ever did. :-)
Postage
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Apr 9, 2016 8:32pm
Thread Board
Hey guys! When I was at the post office today I found out that postage stamps are going back to 47 cents next week! Woot-woot! Weird, but you won't get an argument from me! Anyway, I'm sure I'm probably one of the last to know about this but I haven't read any chatter about it here on the boards....so, does this mean we can go back to 5 forever stamps and NO additional 10-cent stamp? That would certainly make sense at least for swaps under 15 cards-anyone?
Apr 9, 2016 8:39pm
Thread Board
And notes in the physical log book in the box are to the people who find the box after me. That may not be the original intent when letterboxing first started out, but it's the scheme that makes the most sense to me now

I don't think there was any original intent on these matters cuz that implies an original agent, and I don't think there was such. I think it was more evolutionary. That said, it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else. (I do know that there was original agency in intending that bonus boxes actually be surprises (google "bonus definition"; ignore the definition related to salary and wages), whatever the word "surprise" means in modern letterboxing).

Of course, I can choose not to read the online comments, as I do, (except of course when researching and writing "novel length posts intended to impress", like this one, as one of my detractors puts it (tho all I am actually doing is writing my opinions on the game and its evolution as I feel about it, stream of consciousness style (cuz that's how I write), and nothing more (awesome band, BTW, download the sound))), tho it would be nice if AQ had a "hide online comments" profile option to make this less awkward. Maybe it does and I just don't know about it.

(((you can tell I'm an ex programmer, cuz I got all them parens to match, put most of the commas in the right places, and I even managed to parse most of that cruft, well, sort of)))

As for comments in the physical logbook, I imagine "logbook is wet" is a bit more constructive than "logbook is missing" :)
Re: Postage
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #923982 by Gypsy Fiddler
Apr 9, 2016 9:27pm
Thread Board
does this mean we can go back to 5 forever stamps and NO additional 10-cent stamp?

5 × 47¢ = $2.35

Package postage is $2.45 so we'll still need a 10¢ stamp.
Apr 10, 2016 1:30am
Thread Board
I have not signed up, but I am trying to figure out if I can get there. We may be hosting an event in NC the week before, and we may be traveling the week after. Will that be too much in one month? Haha...responsibilities verses desires. ;-)
2013 BBQ & Boxin' Bash
Board: State: South Carolina
Apr 10, 2016 1:34am
Thread Board
Soooo...here is a question that may not have an answer. I was updating my path tag points and seem to be missing a few things. For one, is there anybody who possibly knows how many path tag points were earned at the 2013 BBQ & Boxin' Bash event? Haha. I know, I know, but maybe if somebody has it in their own path tag list, you can help me. Thanks bunches.
Re: Fitness trackers
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #923817 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 10, 2016 1:43am
Thread Board
As an FYI, FitBit customer service is pretty good about replacing defective trackers.
Reply to: #923983 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 10, 2016 3:17am
Thread Board
...it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else.

Doesn't dismay me. That comment is deleted -- along with the ones that say "Dropped off a HH."
Great regret
Board: Event News and Planning
Apr 10, 2016 5:41am
Thread Board
It is with a heavy heart that I am cancelling attending or hosting events until further notice. I have had calamity strike my house again, making it impossible to put money away for frivolous trips and outtings. I apologize if this will put huge problems into your lives as one of these was my own event that people were traveling to. I can't say much more than "I'm sorry ". Hope to see you all in 2017.

Seer Meesh
Two of our own...
Apr 10, 2016 5:42am
Thread Board
Are celebrating BIG anniversaries today... congrats to:

Mainekokopellian on 11 years and Gargoyle Girl on 9!

Woohoo!
Re: Great regret
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #923992 by SeerMeesh
Apr 10, 2016 5:48am
Thread Board
You need to take care of you and yours. I am sorry for whatever struggles you are facing, and hopefully people can cancel their plans easily. Life has a way of working out in the end, so hopefully you can stay encouraged. :-)
Re: Two of our own...
Reply to: #923993 by mudflinginfools
Apr 10, 2016 5:49am
Thread Board
Happy AQversary to both!
Reply to: #923993 by mudflinginfools
Apr 10, 2016 6:15am
Thread Board
OMG, awesome milestones for awesome people. Congrats, Friends!
Apr 10, 2016 7:56am
Thread Board
Oh My , Looks Like Racing Bug and I will not be able to attend.. Though I am sure that I can get you a carve or two sent!
Moonwalk
Reply to: #923996 by Teacup
Apr 10, 2016 8:13am
Thread Board