A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: What Counts as a Different Box?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #922086 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 6:47am
Thread Board
Just place the box(es) and let us be surprised.

Yes, plant with you own eye - create and expand definitions.

Monet did not ask permission to paint Impression, soleil levant
attempt counts off?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Mar 14, 2016 7:44am
Thread Board
I was just researching some boxes when I noticed one with a strike-out and three red X's showing, but in the show finds table, only two attempts are noted.

Am I just missing something or has something gone aWry?
Maybe it's just Tyler, TX.
Re: Doctor Who Convention
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #910557 by Rebiccola
Mar 14, 2016 7:48am
Thread Board
My Doctor Who Eventbox is ready for (Re)Generation Who 2! I am so excited!

Who is going?!? If you will be at the convention, you can message me for my cell#, just in case you don't see us wandering the halls.
Ryan's Blog - Day 156 - Gulf Hagas Detour
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Mar 14, 2016 7:56am
Thread Board
http://www.anotherlongwalk.com/2016/03/day-156-gulf-hagas-detour.html
Photo of Lower Falls
Is it my imagination or does it look like the water is spilling onto a man-made base?
Was there something there once upon a time?
Convention in Baltimore
Board: State: Maryland
Mar 14, 2016 8:13am
Thread Board
Is anyone planning to go to the Doctor Who Convention, (Re)Generation Who 2 near Baltimore this coming weekend? Pre-registration closes on Wednesday at midnight. I made a Doctor Who Eventbox for the occasion. One stamp will be exclusive for the con. I'm so excited!
Top Boxer Status...
Board: State: Ohio
Mar 14, 2016 8:14am
Thread Board
Earned in our state...

Public Hand just hit 11,916 traditional finds!!

Congratulations! ! What an accomplishment! !

So excited we could share this with you.

Keep on a boxin!!
Re: attempt counts off?
Reply to: #922137 by Wry Me
Mar 14, 2016 8:15am
Thread Board
When I look, I see A-3. But it is always a sad day when a Lone Star Quilter box goes missing. You'd be a hero if you found it!
Marker Roll
Mar 14, 2016 8:29am
Board
I just bought a handmade marker roll for $13. it holds 24 markers perfectly. If anyone is interested you can check them out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726382060971625/

Check one out here:
http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?albumId=4413
Mar 14, 2016 8:33am
Thread Board
This is off topic, but the thing I thought was a little strange was that the box had so many comments about the container (and then the logbook) being damaged. Unless I have to travel light, I try to keep my backpack stocked with a small rectangular LnL tucked inside a bigger one, along with a replacement logbook and baggies. Helping to maintain a box is the best way to show your gratitude to the planter for planting it.
Marker/Colored Pencil Roll
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Mar 14, 2016 8:33am
Board
I just bought a handmade marker roll for $13. it holds 24 markers perfectly. It also fits colored pencils! If anyone is interested you can check them out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726382060971625/
Check one out here:
http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?albumId=4413
Re: Series vs. Individual Boxes
Reply to: #922070 by Kirbert
Mar 14, 2016 8:49am
Thread Board
I understand what you're saying - and I do exactly what you say (print out pages, put them in order, and then put them away once found), but I side more with Tessie, especially with her comment about time and ease of finding. And as a finder - not a planter - I prefer to stamp into less logs. We print each box/series individually - we don't search, check the boxes, and then print together. But that is just us. I can appreciate and see how doing it the other way can be better sometimes as well.

This is just another aspect of letterboxing that is so great - everyone can do it how they want and how is appropriate for them. Planting and finding.
Re: Top Boxer Status...
Reply to: #922141 by GypsyLadybug
Mar 14, 2016 9:03am
Thread Board
WTG Public Hand. It's all in the wrist, right?
Search criteria is for MA - getting results in FL
Mar 14, 2016 9:05am
Thread Board
Since this weekend I've been getting search results from all over.
I had ~ 50 search result messages this morning. Most were duplications.
I deleted everything.
I just got results for two searches which are for Massachusetts.
The search gave me Pelican Station in Miami, FL.
'sup wit dat?
Re: Top Boxer Status...
Reply to: #922141 by GypsyLadybug
Mar 14, 2016 9:06am
Thread Board
Well spank me cross-eyed then slap me silly! I can't even imagine finding that many. Congratulations!
Harry Potter Alphabet Tracker
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Mar 14, 2016 9:38am
Board
We've got nine letters left that need someone to make a card for them!
Let's try to get the whole alphabet!

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=8901
What (or when) is OPAL
Board: Province: Ontario
Mar 14, 2016 9:52am
Thread Board
Hi there local letterboxers, I believe this my first AQ post. Started geocaching 4 years ago and looked into letterboxing about a year ago. I use multiple geocaching sites and love the variety, also prefer higher quality and finding boxes and geocaches a year or more since the last finder. I love using the clues to find the treasure, appreciate the care and creativity which goes into the stamp and the listing. You might say that geocaching has become a secondary interest.
I've seen the term OPAL a number of times, I think it was usually in the clue of a box I was looking at (planted for OPAL) and I've figured out it means Ontario Plant A Letterbox day. I naturally (and apparently incorrectly) assumed the PAL portion was more widespead and that the Plant A LetterBox Day was something that occurred across AQ, same day any location. So when I saw this event come up for May 24th I assumed that would also be the OPAL day. I signed up.
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=3638

Just now I searched through the boards for OPAL and discovered:
1) It happens in winter?
2) It seems to be largely discussed of AQ - I based this on the fact that there are no "introductory" type of messages, just discussions which seem to assume others know what they area already talking about. Also something about a Yahoo group.
3) nothing in 2016.

I'll still plant a box on May 24th, but if someone can fill me in more about OPAL I'd love to know more.
Re: What (or when) is OPAL
Reply to: #922151 by Bon Echo
Mar 14, 2016 10:01am
Thread Board
I've been doing this for a couple of years, and I'm a little bit vague on details about OPAL too, except that it's in February (I think) and the purpose is to encourage people to plant winter-friendly or snow-friendly boxes that aren't indoors. Because it kind of sucks if you have to give up a hobby you enjoy for months at a time, because of the weather.
Happy Pi(e) Day
Board: State: Colorado
Mar 14, 2016 10:04am
Thread Board
Happy Pi(e) day, letterboxing friends! Hope your day includes a nice slice of pie.
Reply to: #922096 by MissMoon
Mar 14, 2016 10:08am
Thread Board
If it doesn't interest you then use the ignore button.

Why? It should be obvious to almost everyone that it interests me, as I've participated.

I think it would be a better concept if the discussion were limited or non-existent, specifically, as the concept has an element of surprise or "aha" that the discussion compromises. It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

If I used the ignore button, I could not make that, or other points to try to improve the concept. I've tried to be constructive in this thread, or at least to reflect on historical traditions and definitions. I don't think using the ignore button would allow me to be constructive, nor do I believe suggesting its use has a constructive purpose or motive.
Re: Happy Pi(e) Day
Reply to: #922153 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2016 10:10am
Thread Board
I little anti-climatic after last year when we had Pi second.

3.14(15)9:26:53

Will have to celebrate at

1:59:26 this year.
Re: What (or when) is OPAL
Reply to: #922152 by Penfeather
Mar 14, 2016 10:26am
Thread Board
Penfeather is right - we started it several years ago to encourage snow-friendly planting. Sometimes I'm on top of my game and post the event, and other years (like this one) I forget. Traditionally it's been groundhog day - you know, looking forward to spring and all that.

But I encourage you to follow through with the larger AQ PAL day. And if you notice next year that I failed to get it listed, please feel free to take the initiative and list. Letterboxing is a team sport. :)
Re: Search criteria is for MA - getting results in FL
Reply to: #922148 by Grrly Girl
Mar 14, 2016 11:05am
Thread Board
Since this weekend I've been getting search results from all over.
I had ~ 50 search result messages this morning. Most were duplications.
I deleted everything.
I just got results for two searches which are for Massachusetts.
The search gave me Pelican Station in Miami, FL.
'sup wit dat?

Muahahahahahahah

P.S. happy pi in the face day!
Mar 14, 2016 11:07am
Thread Board
I was just researching some boxes when I noticed one with a strike-out and three red X's showing, but in the show finds table, only two attempts are noted.

If I had to guess, someone who had recorded an attempt on a box has since had their account deleted. So the attempt "disappeared," but AQ doesn't re-calculate the strikeouts or update the F-summaries when that happens. (It will update re-calculate it when an attempt is deleted--just not when it "disappears".)

I don't really have any way of verifying if that's what happened in this case, though, since I don't keep records of all of the accounts that have been deleted (and which attempts they had) for the last three years. It's just a guess on my part, but there are some weird cases like that that can cause those numbers to appear out of whack. The irony is that they're both actually correct! It probably really did have that number of strikes and the F-summary is what happened "in real life," but it doesn't show up in the finds list because that person is no longer on AQ. As soon as someone else records a new find/attempt, it should "fix" the dependency. Or I can re-calculate them manually. =)

-- Ryan

PS. The same issues also affect the "last found" date on boxes--if someone who found a box later has their account deleted, the last find date won't change even though the find from that date is no longer on AQ.
Reply to: #922154 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 11:17am
Thread Board
It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

With direction boxes predominant, a little something something extra at the hide destination puts a smile on my face.
Reply to: #922146 by SherlockMiles
Mar 14, 2016 12:19pm
Thread Board
And as a finder - not a planter - I prefer to stamp into less logs.

If you're gettin' tired of stamping into logs, that tells me there are too many letterboxes planted too close together.

I once found a series in a tiny city park in which boxes were so close together that I'd end up sitting on the same bench when stamping in two of them. There's no rule against that or anything, but IMHO those same stamps would be better utilized scattered over a larger park or longer trail. I guess perhaps things are different in Connecticut where there are letterboxes under every rock.
Reply to: #922160 by Kirbert
Mar 14, 2016 1:02pm
Thread Board
If you're gettin' tired of stamping into logs, that tells me there are too many letterboxes planted too close together.

Possibly. Other reasons might be that it's brutally cold/brutally hot/raining/muggle-y/mosquito-y/etc., so you want to spend as little time as possible at a box. On very cold winter days, my buddies and I specifically avoid situations where there will be a lot of logbooks, because our exposed fingers start to freeze almost instantly.
Reply to: #922160 by Kirbert
Mar 14, 2016 1:16pm
Thread Board

It doesn't to me. It tells me that perhaps a different activity would be more fun for you.

The planters are always right. They are the ones who put time, creativity, energy, expense, vision, and so forth into their work. If that vision is inconsistent with the finders' idea of a good time, it is time for the finder to find another good time.

JMHO
Reply to: #922162 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 1:34pm
Thread Board
The planters are always right.

Naw. I've screwed up many times as a planter (hence the trailname) and expect that trend to continue. Thank you finders for letting me know.
Re: Happy Pi(e) Day
Reply to: #922153 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2016 1:49pm
Thread Board
Don't everyone rush out to get my Pie Letterbox at once: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=248671
Re: New in Chicago
Board: State: Illinois
Reply to: #921523 by Leatherbottom
Mar 14, 2016 2:27pm
Thread Board
Hello!

I'm right in the city (old irving park neighborhood) so am happy to go boxing sometime. Welcome to Chicago!

-a girl and her pups