About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Found a pair of glasses
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
May 12, 2007 10:46am
Thread Board
I was out adding paper to a log book for one of my boxes and I found a pair of eyeglasses. The box was off the path enough that I figured they must belong to a boxer.

They are oval shaped, wire rimmed, pinkish toned womans glasses.

The box was Sir Grumpalot, located in PowderMill park in Rochester, NY

If you lost a pair of glasses let me know and we can figure out how to get them to you.

Crazyolis
Re: Where's Marjorie? (in Chicago)
Board: Postals
Reply to: #91630 by Coffee Beans
May 12, 2007 11:09am
Thread Board
Quote To the rest of you, there will likely be several extra pages left in the logbook after the ring, and I'm planning to send it out as a single then so keep an eye out! :)

I'll be watching for that one. :)
Iron Man/Woman Goxing (revisited)!
Board: Dungeons and Dragons
Reply to: #85800 by Sprite and Highlander
May 12, 2007 11:22am
Thread Board
Well, I just went out and got the mail today and lo, there in our box were gox box sox from dbltall, along with the brand new Gox Box Sox HH (here's a pic of them at the Woolrich catalogue http://www.woolrich.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L3D74537A45138000EA4303U+PRD+ENG)!

I was laughing like an idiot until I actually put them ON!

Oh...
...my...
...GOD!!!

These sox...I mean, SOCKS are AMAZING! They are SOOO on my list for boxing wear (and daily wear, really...after all, we're in upstate NY, where Winter goes for the winter...and summer...and spring break...and the vernal equinox...!). First, they're the right color (I LOVE blue and those wintry sweater type patterns). Second, they're merino wool, so they're warm AND soft and have this delightfully cushy feel to them everywhere I walk. I'm walking around barefoot in them now and making sounds that the Highlander normally associates with a different room of the house! And finally, they're MINE! Muhahahahahahhaaaaaaa!

I'm telling you, I'm going online to get more of these because I will TOTALLY PAY for this kinda sex...I mean, SOCKS! :-)

The (cheating on the Highlander with winter wear) Sprite & the (been in love with the other socks for YEARS, but never told the wife) Highlander
Re: Missing Pokemon?????
Reply to: #91629 by knit wit
May 12, 2007 11:30am
Thread Board
Reading the tracker log, it does seem, and I repeat *seem* as if the blockage is with lightingrod. If that boxer is ill, then patience shouldn't be difficult :) [sings softly: patience means you have to wait, have to wait, have to wait...]

On the other hand, it also looks (LOOKS) as if 2 or 3 boxers just don't log their finds consistently. Either that, or the mailing order has somehow gotten out of order. Life happens.

We had four pokeboxes decend upon us last week after a long dry spell. Perhaps that cluster is heading your way soon? No Absol, but a lotta fun!

Ish
Re: Interlude: Moonshadow
Reply to: #91300 by Enchantress 2
May 12, 2007 11:36am
Thread Board
Quote I wonder what the gods are up to?

Well, DANG! Now I wanna know MORE about what the GODS are doing! :-P
Reply to: #91635 by Ish
May 12, 2007 12:57pm
Thread Board
Reading the tracker log, it does seem, and I repeat *seem* as if the blockage is with lightingrod. If that boxer is ill, then patience shouldn't be difficult :) [sings softly: patience means you have to wait, have to wait, have to wait...]

I'm trying to wait but it looks like she hasn't logged into AQ since april 26. That was over 2 weeks ago.

-HG(Hoping to get a pokemon soon.)
Re: First Finders prize
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #91631 by The hicks from the sticks
May 12, 2007 1:16pm
Thread Board
I sometimes make a shrinky dink keychain of the stamp image. I've found certificates, one especially beautifully made which I use as a bookmark in my logbook. I get a lot of envious looks because it was made so nicely.
Buggylou
Reply to: #91638 by Buggylou
May 12, 2007 1:26pm
Thread Board
Just where do you find the shrinky dink plastic?

sounds like a great first finders bonus. =)
Reply to: #91639 by The hicks from the sticks
May 12, 2007 1:28pm
Thread Board
Quote Just where do you find the shrinky dink plastic?

They have all different kinds at Michaels. I just bought some there 2 weeks ago.

Carianna of the GG
Reply to: #91640 by Gryffindors
May 12, 2007 1:30pm
Thread Board
wow that was a fast reply... Is it shrinky dink brand or some other type of plastic?
and what department is it in? toys for kids or in one of the crafts sections?
Searching for people and boxes....
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
May 12, 2007 1:37pm
Thread Board
I've made a small tweak. Can't say I'm very fond of it, but for the time being, if you do a search for a specific letterbox or person, the term you search for will only match the beginning of the trail name or box name.

For instance, it used to be if you search for people using the term "green", it would match any person that uses "green" anywhere in their trail name. Now it'll only match those people who's trail name actually begins with "green". So it would NOT match a trail name such as "Big Green Giant", but it would still match "Green Tortuga." =)

The names of letterboxes work similiarly. If a letterbox is named "The Rose" and you search for the word "Rose", it's no longer going to match.

Even worse, it will only match the name of the whole series—AQ will no longer match the names of individual boxes in the series. So if you hide "Animal Series" and try to search for "chicken", it won't match. You'd have to search for the name of the series, not the name of an individual box in the series.

Punctuation will count a lot more as well. A search for "Ryan's Doom", for instance, will not match a box named "Ryans Doom." =)

Basically, AQ will be much less forgiving of searches. It's not as friendly this way, but those types of searches were causing severe performance problems on AQ so I had to tighten them up a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience! By only searching for exact matches at the beginning of the box name or planter's trail name, AQ can use a very fast index search. Without it--it's very, very slow to sift through 40,000+ boxes or nearly 10,000 trail names to find matches. The database is too large to not use an index anymore. Sorry. =(

-- Ryan
Re: Searching for people and boxes....
Reply to: #91642 by Green Tortuga
May 12, 2007 1:44pm
Thread Board
Punctuation will count a lot more as well. A search for "Ryan's Doom", for instance, will not match a box named "Ryans Doom." =)

Oh, I should point out--there is one hack to get around this. Using the "clue search" on the Advanced Search page is a much more powerful method of searching. Some of the punctuation (such as apostrophes) is more forgiving of matches and you can search for keywords anywhere in the title rather than just the beginning. Of course, it'll pull any box where your search term is found in the entire clue, so if someone else refers to your box, the search will show that result as well.

If a simple title search doesn't find what you're looking for, though, an advanced search might be able to pull it up.

-- Ryan
Trophies,Ribbons and stars
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
May 12, 2007 1:59pm
Thread Board
Is there anywhere that tells you how many boxes, post or plants you have to do before you get a trophy,ribbon or star? And what count all the different colors are for?

Just wondering how many I need to get one. I think they are kinda cool looking :-)
Humngbrdwchr
Re: Trophies,Ribbons and stars
Reply to: #91644 by humngbrdwchr
May 12, 2007 2:07pm
Thread Board
Is there anywhere that tells you how many boxes, post or plants you have to do before you get a trophy,ribbon or star? And what count all the different colors are for?

If you click on one of those (trophy,star,ribbon)it will take you to that special place where it shows all that. :)

Shiloh
Reply to: #91641 by The hicks from the sticks
May 12, 2007 2:09pm
Thread Board
Re: Shrinky Dink plastic

I found mine in the general scrapbook area... I had to ask an employee though, I didn't want to walk around aimlessly looking for it.

There were lots of different kinds, but I got the standard/basic kind. It says "Shrinkiy Dinks" at the top of the packet and is the "frosted ruff n' ready" kind. It is ideal for ages 5-100. :-) It comes in a plastic bag and contains 10 8x10 sheets.

Carianna of the GG
Re: Trophies,Ribbons and stars
Reply to: #91645 by shiloh
May 12, 2007 2:11pm
Thread Board
If you click on one of those (trophy,star,ribbon)</quote?

Thanks!!! I never thought to actually click on it. I always put my mouse over it to see the counts.

Humngbrdwchr
Re: Grammar Schmammar! Ya Want Innit?
Reply to: #91570 by Teepsman
May 12, 2007 2:12pm
Thread Board
Is this hear thang gonna be a reglar postal or a rang?

Shiloh
Re: Iron Man/Woman Goxing (revisited)!
Reply to: #91634 by Sprite and Highlander
May 12, 2007 2:27pm
Thread Board
http://www.woolrich.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L3D74537A45138000EA4303U+PRD+ENG

The link doesn't seem to work.

Shiloh
Re: Iron Man/Woman Goxing (revisited)!
Reply to: #91649 by shiloh
May 12, 2007 2:37pm
Thread Board
Quote The link doesn't seem to work.

http://www.woolrich.com/ Okay, go to this site, then use the pull down menu under Accessories to click on Socks. These are the Women's Alpine Socks (the pretty blue ones!) :-)
Reply to: #91642 by Green Tortuga
May 12, 2007 2:39pm
Thread Board
Without it--it's very, very slow to sift through 40,000+ boxes

Thanks for trying to speed things up GT. I have to say AQ, these last couple of days, has been loading at the speed of mmm ...... well a tortoise actually :-)

YT
Re: Boxing Buddies!
Reply to: #91614 by Trouble Bug
May 12, 2007 2:43pm
Thread Board
I have a buddy already

I would love to have your buddy visit. It will take about a week to get over here, by which time my busy week will be over and I will have time to go on adventures with your Boxing Buddy. I'll AQmail you.

YT
Reply to: #91651 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
May 12, 2007 2:57pm
Thread Board
Quote I have to say AQ, these last couple of days, has been loading at the speed of mmm ...... well a tortoise actually

I agree; for the last 24 hours or so it has been downright painful using AQ (and still is) for me. No timing out, but literally pages that take 30-45 seconds to load/refresh.
Reply to: #91652 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
May 12, 2007 2:59pm
Thread Board
Quote Iwould love to have your buddy visit. It will take about a week to get over here, by which time my busy week will be over and I will have time to go on adventures with your Boxing Buddy

Oooo, oooo, me tooo! I want to make a boxing buddy that can visit you too. :-)

Anthrogradjess
Reply to: #91651 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
May 12, 2007 3:02pm
Thread Board
I'm not about to try to tell GT how to run his website but I have to wonder, is the speed worth the price? If I'm looking for a box and I don't know EXACTALLY how it's listed will I be able to find it?

Shiloh
Reply to: #91659 by shiloh
May 12, 2007 3:07pm
Thread Board
Quote If I'm looking for a box and I don't know EXACTALLY how it's listed will I be able to find it?

I don't see a problem with it; think of it this way, if you are searching for a specific box you generally know something about that box be it planter, area, or maybe even know it is listed in your logbook. Most of the time you simply will be doing an area/city/general box search so knowing how a box is EXACTLY listed does not matter...
Reply to: #91569 by jacks
May 12, 2007 3:12pm
Thread Board
I'm still thinking about this. I might like to join in. Could you talk to me like I'm a six year old and explain to me how this is supposed to work? :) It seems more involved than a postal.

Shiloh
Sizes of Postals
May 12, 2007 3:26pm
Board
Today I got two plb's in the mail today. They made me laugh because one was a 4 x 7 envelope and one was absolutely giant coming in at 10.375 x 14.75. (It was a p.o. utility mailer) I'll have to open them up later. Tonight I'm off to Shoebee's Benefit Parrty.(For anyone not in on the postal, shoebee donated one of his kidneys to his stepmom) So if I wait till later I'll have something fun to come home to. Also I sent out 6 plb's today:

Nascar:bobby hamilton
Mother's Day: Memories
Mother's Day:Quilt Sampler
Candy Madness: Conversation Hearts
Kid's Shows: Little Einsteins
Backyardigans: Austin the Kangaroo(I know a week early, my bad)
Reply to: #91663 by shiloh
May 12, 2007 3:29pm
Thread Board
Okay. At least I think this is how it works:

If you want to make a boxing buddy, you either make or get a boxing buddy. This is a little something the size of a beaning baby. It could be a little doll, or you can crochet/knit(disclaimer: I don't know how to spell)one as well. You make your buddy a log book and its own stamp and send it to someone away from you. IE: I live in Idaho. I am going to send my BB to YT in England. What YT will do is take my BB to boxes and log her stamp into the logbooks and log the stamps into her log book and then take a picture of her in the area of the box or with the box itself, as long as you don't give it away.

If you want to host a boxing buddy, you will request one and receive one in the mail and then you will take it boxing with you and log it's stamp into the box and the box's in its. you will then take it's picture.You will have the BB for a month or so and then send it back to the owneer with the pictures so they can see where their BB has been.

Get it? You will have to ask jacks for a better explanation. Here is the original post as well:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=91569;gThreadId=14690

I hope that helps!

Trouble Bug
Reply to: #91662 by Eidolon
May 12, 2007 3:31pm
Thread Board
Most of the time you simply will be doing an area/city/general box search so knowing how a box is EXACTLY listed does not matter.

This is true of traditional boxes but I've had trouble finding postals before so I can expect for it to be more difficult now.

Shiloh
Reply to: #91637 by HG's Crew
May 12, 2007 3:41pm
Thread Board
On Friday, I received 4 boxes from this ring. They all went out this morning.

Woodsong