About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

can i count this as a find
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 14, 2015 9:02am
Thread Board
I planted 4 letterboxes for my daughters family. This past weekend i joined them in their search, when we found the last letterbox inside we found a small bag with a stamp and notebook inside. It's called "A Sign Of Summer" with the letters HH..

I looked it up and i believe its a hitchhiker box. The first one we have ever found. My question is, even though i planted the boxes can I still record finding the hitchhiker bag that we found?
Re: can i count this as a find
Reply to: #895035 by denvered
Apr 14, 2015 9:05am
Thread Board
Absolutely. That is indeed a hitchhiker and you can log the find and move it along to another letterbox. Be sure it was stamped into your letterbox's logbook and be sure to stamp it into the logbook of the letterbox you leave it in.

K
Reply to: #895036 by Kelsung
Apr 14, 2015 9:09am
Thread Board
we will definetely do that. we were so excited to find that and are looking forward to putting it in another box somewhere. Thanks for your reply
Re: Reactivate an old box Or not?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #895018 by Fish Below The Ice
Apr 14, 2015 9:11am
Thread Board
I just watched that yesterday!!
Re: Found Box
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #895034 by Kimoppi
Apr 14, 2015 9:15am
Thread Board
Also, if not a member, list your unlisted finds on your profile page until you can add them on Hat Day.
Re: Southeast MI metro parent article
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Reply to: #895032 by Kimoppi
Apr 14, 2015 9:20am
Thread Board
I didn't realize she didn't get permission. I'm disappointed - she seemed very nice and like she didn't want to step on anybody's toes. Regretfully, I guess she's one of those people who don't understanding that asking permission isn't the same as getting permission. Hopefully it won't cause any problems for you.
Re: My opinion only, and we know how those are
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #894966 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2015 9:21am
Thread Board
No, I'm suggesting we have a new member with different letterboxing experience! And I wanna hear about it!
Re: Southeast MI metro parent article
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Reply to: #895040 by TrailTroll
Apr 14, 2015 9:29am
Thread Board
Oops. I was wrong. She DIDN'T ask permission. She sent an e-mail asking if my letterbox was still active. I didn't respond because the box was less than a month old and I was worried making it THAT public might lead to its disappearance. Fingers crossed. The good news is that people in my hometown will learn about a cute little park that I didn't know existed until I was in high school. :-)
Reply to: #894783 by DeeCee
Apr 14, 2015 9:39am
Thread Board
I gave it to the cat!
Re: Building drawing skills
Board: Art Corner
Reply to: #894843 by photopam
Apr 14, 2015 9:40am
Thread Board
Given that I'd most often be drawing as part of a letterboxing project, I think cartooning and caricature would be excellent classes to explore. Unfortunately, they always seem to be presented for teenagers, and I would certainly look really, really pervy trying to weasel in. Still... my mother has taken art classes for years. I should tag along some time and ask her teacher. I took classes with him myself a few years back... not sure he'd be the right teacher for this sort of niche, but he might be able to make suggestions....
Re: with trepidation
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #894989 by She Runs
Apr 14, 2015 9:43am
Thread Board
I'm not nearby and won't be participating, but wouldn't it make more sense to prioritize by location? Some of that park isn't all that easy to get around. I would think that, once you're in a particular area, you'd want to check on all the boxes in that vicinity before moving on to the next area.

And someone's gonna hafta decide which boxes get resurrected and which get tossed. Suggestion: If the stamp is still there and usable, it gets resurrected, even if everything else is a hopeless mess. No stamp, it gets tossed.

You're not likely to accomplish all this in one event, are you? Even if it's a weekend? So perhaps the thing to do is work on a different area each year. See how many years it takes before SMP is the letterboxing mecca it should be once again.
Reply to: #895043 by letterbox goody thief
Apr 14, 2015 9:45am
Thread Board
That seems a bit unnecessary.
Re: Event to Welcome Ramdelt back
Board: State: Colorado
Reply to: #894934 by Alaska hsm
Apr 14, 2015 10:01am
Thread Board
That's a great idea! Is Ramdelt coming?
Re: Building drawing skills
Board: Art Corner
Reply to: #894775 by Ralph Spoilsport
Apr 14, 2015 10:03am
Thread Board
I should be spending more time doing and less typing about it... however.

If you've ever taken a arts course (to create not look) you probably have at least heard of the two classics for creativity.

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", and, "Drawing on the Artist Within". I think they get a mention at most courses... many times as required reading. I believe (muddled memory sometimes) that the author was Betty Edwards.
When I was a kid (way back) the big name was Nagy (I forget the first name, Tom perhaps). Had a TV show and lots of DiY books on learning to draw. I suspect there are lots of others, he was just what got me started out.

Anyway the first step is always knowing what you want to draw. The second is learning to SEE what you are LOOKING AT. That step is useful for finding things hidden in the woods as well.
After that, to paraphrase an old advice... ' Just erase the parts you don't want in the picture'.

I'll leave medium and style to better artists to deal with. I chose digital forms to avoid messing up my place with in progress works... I'm just coming to grips with creating a stamp or two. For me finding the materials is the rough part. Either pricey or not locally available, plus the difficulty of paying for them is deterrent. So I'm going creative and trying to figure out what was done before the new materials and tools came into being. Carving is still carving, and one just has to say what was done in the days of old. Wood? Linoleum? Who knows what works? Might just invent the 'NEXT' way for fun.

Doug 7rxc
Reply to: #895035 by denvered
Apr 14, 2015 10:12am
Thread Board
You can count it as a find :) and since it is your first found HH, it might be helpful to read up on how HH'ers are suppose to be stamped in the logbook of the box they were put in and the stamp of the host box should be stamped in the HHers logbook.

This can be confusing to even seasoned HH finders. :)

To me the whole point of a HitchHiker is to see in it's logbook where it has traveled to.
Re: history
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #895009 by LROSEM
Apr 14, 2015 10:21am
Thread Board
If anyone is concerned, I am the one hosting this swap.
Re: history
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #895054 by LROSEM
Apr 14, 2015 10:26am
Thread Board
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=8353
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=8365

These could use some love too. There is still plenty of room in both of them.
Re: with trepidation
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #895045 by Kirbert
Apr 14, 2015 10:46am
Thread Board
Suggestion: If the stamp is still there and usable, it gets resurrected, even if everything else is a hopeless mess. No stamp, it gets tossed.

That's kinda along my same line of thought. If logbook is soaked or full, go ahead and swap it out. If it can be dried out and owner wants it we can return it. If box is wet, we will have tons of dry cloths with us to dry it and if it's moldy we will replace plastic box altogether. Baggies will be wiped down or replaced if wet. Boxes will discarded if stamp is missing or unusable. Landmarks will be updated accordingly. etc. we can hammer that out closer to time.

You're not likely to accomplish all this in one event, are you? Even if it's a weekend?

I actually think if we have a good mix of locals and people who've found a majority of boxes in can be done in one or two events/weekends, yes. I think it's more than reasonable considering that they won't be hunting the clues from start to finish per se. If they've found them they will know how to string them together in a convenient hiking order. we just need to identify zones and ask for signups.

I'm thinking there are 2 zones for walk up area (maybe 3), quarry, covered bridge, songbird, campground/evergreen-ish, yellow daisy-ish, nature garden, playground, playground overflow, Muscogee Trail area, front of mountain, and then have a pair for drive-by onesie twosies. As for nightboxes and super hard side of mountain boxes I'm not sure yet. But I think a pair or trio could take those zones and knock them out in a day easily since they would know where the boxes were. Not considering the super hard side of mountains and the nightboxes I'm thinking that's 12 or so zones so we'd need 24 people or so. or split it into two separate days and I'm sure we could get 12 volunteers.

PLUS I know that sounds like a lot but actually some of those zones really won't take as long as others and could be doubled up. Even if we need more than two days it def won't take years. We could even pick a day in May, a day in June and a day in July or something. Although whoever is on walk up trail duty may want to knock that out earlier rather than later. PLUS there are a few of us that can knock some of those boxes off the list if they've been recently found and were found to be in good order.

I'm thinking we just have a group of volunteers that vote on how they want to approach and all do similar so that it's consistent. Sounds like a lot but as the old saying goes "by the inch, it's a cinch."
Google game
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 14, 2015 10:47am
Thread Board
Go to Google
Click on the Google image
Play the game
So far I've bonked my head, been tossed off and bonked my horse's head (multiple times)
Re: Amazing printmaking artist
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #895029 by Shazbot
Apr 14, 2015 10:58am
Thread Board
I explained letterboxing to him and he is very intrigued ...

Aj is intrigued about letterboxing???

If he actually starts carving and planting letterboxes, I may have to make a special trip back east! I'm a long time Phish fan, and a fan of Aj's work. Hope you get to intern!!
Re: Reactivate an old box Or not?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #895018 by Fish Below The Ice
Apr 14, 2015 11:04am
Thread Board
Son of... Bride of... Abbott and Costello Meet...
Reply to: #895041 by Kirbert
Apr 14, 2015 11:07am
Thread Board
LOL, you spotted that! I have been letterboxing since the late 1970's starting out on Dartmoor. In those days the only new clues were found in the back of visitor books until you had your 100 to join the 100 club. After that the clues came from GOD :-)

I have letterboxed all over the UK since then, and have found way too many to log online. I simply wouldn't know where to start and it is not really part of the hobby over here, but I do have a whole shelf full of logbooks.

Urban, drive by type letterboxes seem quite alien to me, but now that I am older and less able to get out on long hikes I am enjoying exploring those type of boxes too. AQ is a marvellous source for Urban clues and I am astonshed at how many there are here. After letterboxing all my life I would be sad not to be able to enjoy it in some form just because my hips are giving out, and I am having a great time lurking here on AQ and hearing about all your adventures over the pond.
Re: Stuff that sounds funny but maybe isn't. Or maybe it is.
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #894961 by greenmountainhiker
Apr 14, 2015 11:10am
Thread Board
I just looked in the AQ glossary and found "clitter". Don't know about you, but I intend to start using that one on a regular basis.

Almost spit out my coffee.

Non-South Park watchers won't get it, but I just visualized Martha Stewart. May want to YouTube that gem ;)
Re: Google game
Reply to: #895058 by Grrly Girl
Apr 14, 2015 11:18am
Thread Board
I just found it & was going to post the same message as you.
Reply to: #895060 by kudichan
Apr 14, 2015 11:28am
Thread Board
Ha, maybe I will talk him into designing something that I carve into a stamp!
Re: Google game
Reply to: #895058 by Grrly Girl
Apr 14, 2015 11:29am
Thread Board
Speaking of addictive games.....

https://geoguessr.com/
Re: Elizabethtown Fair: Stamp category
Board: Dutch Country Letterboxing Board
Reply to: #894965 by Pendragon House
Apr 14, 2015 11:31am
Thread Board
Is there a theme to this years Fair?
Reply to: #895065 by Shazbot
Apr 14, 2015 11:43am
Thread Board
That'd be awesome. You could also try and convince him to carve a little rubber and then plant it for him... Orrrr you could always plant a lil linoleum block of his ;) Boy I should start saving for a plane ticket now lol.
Reply to: #895055 by noydb
Apr 14, 2015 12:05pm
Thread Board
He's a he

That is for clearing that up. I saw "Selfie" and to me, that looked like a girl.

All those other links were great, thanks! Lots of ideas....
Re: Pearl Harbor
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #894764 by Kirbert
Apr 14, 2015 12:23pm
Thread Board
Perhaps not as ambitious as some of the other proposals, but an image of the Pearl Harbor Memorial might be far more "do-able," but could certainly be a memorial of sorts all its own.