A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Trying to start up a collection
Board: Pathtags
Reply to: #882823 by GreaseLightning
Jan 3, 2015 3:02pm
Thread Board
I'll sell you one of mine. Please contact me privately if you're interested.

Really, though, at $3 to $3.50 a pop, it's more cost-effective (plus you'll have more people interested) if you have your own to trade.
Re: OSJL This Week
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #882803 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Jan 3, 2015 3:31pm
Thread Board
THANK you :)
The Librarians on TNT
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Jan 3, 2015 4:02pm
Thread Board
Finally started watching the Librarians on TNT. I have enjoyed the Noah Wylie movies in the past and so far, I really like the series. More and more I am becoming a HUGE Christian Kane fan! Loved him in Leverage and he plays a similar tough guy with a heart of gold character here too.

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Alcohol ink
Board: LTC Collective
Reply to: #882813 by Topcollector
Jan 3, 2015 4:06pm
Thread Board
Rubbing alcohol or if non-plastic surface, straight acetone (Acetone will eat plastic). Goo Gone and other Citrus-based solvents will take it off too. This per Eden of FORAYCH - who owns every color of alcohol inks :)

Jeff *lucky*
Re: The Librarians on TNT
Reply to: #882840 by Amanda from Seattle
Jan 3, 2015 4:07pm
Thread Board
I spent this afternoon getting caught up on the 2 of 5 I'd missed. I loved the movies and the series seems to staying close to the humor and basic story line. I'm with you on the CK crush. It's fun seeing such a tough guy love historical artifacts and art. His characters sarcasm is fun (as it was on Leverage).
Happy Librarian'ing!
SnakeDoctor
Re: Act of Kindness #28 The Picture of Shock and Awe
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #882748 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jan 3, 2015 4:19pm
Thread Board
That's cool.
Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #882596 by badegg
Jan 3, 2015 4:36pm
Thread Board
Hmmm... let's look at things in reverse.

the box bandit is out there. replacing undies for boxes.

10~ pairs of dirty thongs would be in this poor loners box's spot!

a box that the owner had given up on

I am thinking the planter knew something you didn't.
Re: UPDATE on CANDACE SEEKER
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #882717 by theseekers1108
Jan 3, 2015 4:43pm
Thread Board
I am saving them to make a BOOK with my BIND IT ALL so when she is through this crisis, she can have a keepsake of all the love and support she received from all over the world !

What a nice idea!
Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #882374 by heartsquare
Jan 3, 2015 4:46pm
Thread Board
Idlemoon - the pickle park - was that by any chance Indian Orchard Park in Media?

Nope.. it was Ridley.. now that picnic area is gated off.

Lisa
Re: iCons
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #882821 by Sunia
Jan 3, 2015 4:50pm
Thread Board
Letter boxing without a compass? I mean, it's not too heavy or large to carry, so why wouldn't everyone want one?

Some people don't like puzzle clues, some people don't like drive-bys, some people don't like store bought stamps, and, apparently, some people don't like clues with compass bearings.

Seems ok to me, so it it sounds like the compass icon is useful.
Reply to: #882848 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 3, 2015 5:15pm
Thread Board
yes definitely useful iCon the compass. i have a couple of boxes where triangulation is the mode of discovery. i selected the compass icon as an attribute. I still had someone ask me if a compass was really necessary.
Acknowledging Awesomeness
Board: Random Acts of AQ Kindness
Jan 3, 2015 5:34pm
Board
So, I am happy to send, lend, or make things for almost anyone who asks. It's the kind of person I am. So when someone puts up a post asking for stamps that I just happen to be done with, I send them on.

Splish Splash asked if anyone had Percy Jackson stamps for an event she was hosting for home schooled kids. I didn't even blink and sent her them stating she could keep them...or not, whatever. I added some of the LTCs I had made to keep or give out. Just have fun! I figured that would be the end of it.

Then two days ago my kids and I got the best surprise! A large package in the mail. A wonderful note thanking us along with our stamps nicely packaged in felt pouches, a painted wooden box that held chocolate coins "drachma" and hand made fimo clay greek tokens on ribbons, a sample of the clues they used, a few small log books, and 3 camp Halfblood t shirt transfers. My kids were so happy the squealed. Splish Splash and her kids went above and beyond...

So, I want to let all of AQ know;
Thank you Splish Splash for taking the time to share letterboxing with kids in a fun and educational way and for taking the time to make my kids and I super happy.
recent AQ changes
Board: Clue Tracker
Jan 3, 2015 5:42pm
Thread Board
It appears that recent changes to Atlas Quest have broken Clue Tracker. We have asked Ryan to look into the problem. Hopefully he can quickly fix it!
Re: AQ now with ads?
Reply to: #882756 by IrishRef
Jan 3, 2015 5:54pm
Thread Board
I saw an ad for the first time on AQ today--something about an android e-book. Mine was right in the middle of the screen, too.
Reply to: #882822 by mudflinginfools
Jan 3, 2015 6:03pm
Thread Board
I'm sick enough without having to deal with Ryan's surgery photos...

I've never had surgery, so I have no surgery photos! But I will be sure to share them whenever it happens. *nodding* I'll probably post to "Another Long Walk" rather than the AQ blog, though. Metaphorically, I think of surgery as a "long walk" more than a "letterboxing event." (Unless, of course, I scheduled a letterboxing event at the hospital.)

-- Ryan
Re: Path Tags
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #882828 by airstream dreams
Jan 3, 2015 6:04pm
Thread Board
I might be more interested in geocaching if that's the type of prizes you find. But so far, the geocaches I happen on by accident, there's been only junk. I've seen some really cool geocoins online.
I like finding first finder prizes! So far I have found stickers, an LTC, and a love rock!
Reply to: #882854 by brandicat
Jan 3, 2015 6:05pm
Thread Board
I would rather look an ad for e-book than one in the middle of my screen for how to get rid of age spots. Every clue page now has an ad.
Re: OSJL This Week
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #882809 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Jan 3, 2015 6:09pm
Thread Board
I could definitely use 25% less calories in my diet :-)

BB
Reply to: #882818 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 3, 2015 6:16pm
Thread Board
What if the tiny 'person' icon that is a 'profile' link could change color, or add a crown, or star, or (?) something, when the letterboxer has been an AQ member for five years, and again at 10 years?

When I first started AQ, I had the idea of adding an icon by someone's name based on how long they've been a member like anniversary gifts. What's the 1st year anniversary? Something cotton? So add a cotton ball for 1-year members. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the other anniversaries.

Mostly, I just never got around to it and it never seemed important enough to implement.

I've also liked the idea of having the "profile" image change based on their profile settings. Male, use a man's face. Female, use a girl's face. A couple, use a "couple" of faces. Pet, use a dog's face. Alien, use an alien's face..... And maybe change the color of the shirt based on when they last logged in.

But on a practical level, it's not that simple because those icons only need one thing to create those buttons: the member's ID number. I can pull out the ownerId of a letterbox and create the profile, contact, logbook and note buttons with just that number--no other database tables necessary. Some places, like the tutorials, the numbers are just hard-coded and don't even access the database at all.

It would take quite a bit of effort to require looking up those kind of details in the database every time I want to display a person's profile button, so that's why it's never been done.

Adding an extra attribute usually isn't as much of a problem because those aren't displayed everywhere. (Although they're displayed in message board posts, for instance, the "reply" message I'm replying to doesn't include them.) If I'm already accessing the database to get all of the necessary information to generate those large icons, it's not hard to check just one more piece of data at the same time.

So anyhow... an icon for the length of time someone has been a member could happen someday since I've always liked the idea, but admittedly, I don't know when I'll ever get around to implementing it because it's never been high on my to-do list.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #882857 by Elle
Jan 3, 2015 6:44pm
Thread Board
Every clue page now has an ad.

If it's any consolation, they could be a lot worse! I could have added pop-ups, used a lot more ads, bigger ads.... All things considered, you won't find many websites with an ad as unobtrusive as this one.

And, unlike a lot of other websites, you can get out of it with a premium membership. ;o)

I should also point out.... it is possible to get a page without an ad. I give Amazon.com first crack at providing an ad, and if they don't have an ad that they feel is suitable, Google gets a crack at it. And if Google feels they don't have any ads that would work there, it just leaves a blank spot.

I suspect that 99.9% of the pages will actually show an ad--but it probably isn't 100%!

-- Ryan
Re: Changes
Reply to: #882810 by Celtic Roots
Jan 3, 2015 6:48pm
Thread Board
As a Premium member, We seem to have lost our ability to record unlisted finds. What's up?

Sorry about that. 'Twas a bug--it should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Re: The Librarians on TNT
Reply to: #882842 by SnakeDoctor
Jan 3, 2015 6:57pm
Thread Board
I'm so behind. Ugh.
Re: Why won't the nails go in????
Board: Home Improvement
Reply to: #882802 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 3, 2015 7:15pm
Thread Board
I pretend I'm a stud finder and I beep when when I see my honey.
Re: recent AQ changes
Board: Clue Tracker
Reply to: #882853 by MichKathy
Jan 3, 2015 7:29pm
Thread Board
It should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #882854 by brandicat
Jan 3, 2015 7:34pm
Thread Board
The ad I saw was for Nutrisystem. Is someone trying to tell me something??
Re: How Often
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #882484 by trpecogis
Jan 3, 2015 7:36pm
Thread Board
I've had three signature stamps, and I'm getting ready to carve another. All of them have been different.

:)
3H
Reply to: #882870 by DogScout1
Jan 3, 2015 7:40pm
Thread Board
The ad I saw was for Nutrisystem. Is someone trying to tell me something??

Just for the record, I'm not! I don't pick the ads that get displayed.... I just hand off a space to Amazon/Google that says something like "I have a space for an ad that's 300x250 pixels in size--put something in it if you can." They'll try to fill it with whatever they best think fits the website or the person viewing it and earns them the most money.

So whatever you see there.... if it's someone trying to tell you something, it's a computer from Amazon or Google. I have no idea what other people see. I actually hacked the code so I see ads too even though I'm a premium member just to get a sense of what's displayed. I just got a Geico ad--which is kind of funny when you consider the fact that I don't have a car to insure. So I wouldn't worry too much about what they "think" you need--they don't always know what they're talking about! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Meet & Greet?
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #882423 by storm rider
Jan 3, 2015 7:42pm
Thread Board
I'm guessing PWS is portland west side.

Yep! :) The event is this Saturday at BJ's in Hillsboro.

:)
3H
Re: Only funny if it wasn't you
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #881610 by Grrly Girl
Jan 3, 2015 8:02pm
Thread Board
I shared this with a friend who has recently become part of Wisconsin's Finest in Milton and Jefferson.
There are some really good lines here!

ASL Girl
Re: How Often
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #882871 by Three Hearts
Jan 3, 2015 8:41pm
Thread Board
Well, three would make sense, in your case. ;)