A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: The Rules
Board: Rules and Variants
Reply to: #876711 by Aiphid
Nov 14, 2014 9:28pm
Thread Board
I'll take a pic. in the morning & try to figure out how to post it. I know how to post, but how do I get the link here?
Re: Friday Distraction - 11/14/14
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #876730 by Gypsy Fiddler
Nov 14, 2014 9:57pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #876733 by Topcollector
Nov 14, 2014 10:02pm
Thread Board
You could put it in the AQ photo gallery and link it here. Or you can make a Google Doc and link it here.
Re: Friday Distraction - 11/14/14
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #876735 by Baqash
Nov 14, 2014 10:25pm
Thread Board
You are awesome-thanks!
Re: postage issues?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #876725 by crosscresent
Nov 14, 2014 11:18pm
Thread Board
This actually happens to me too at my post office. It really really upsets me. It's their mistake yet I usually end up paying for it because it's sent back to me as postage due, then I have to buy postage all over again. I'm honestly thinking of buying a scale and weighing and shipping through pay pal or stamps.com

You're not alone.
Reply to: #876738 by Seattle Bound
Nov 15, 2014 4:05am
Thread Board
You can get a postal scale for under $20: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Q79GP8/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1416052745&sr=1-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70. I have a different one and use it frequently.
Re: Do you need a letterboxing patch?
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #876497 by speedsquare
Nov 15, 2014 4:10am
Thread Board
I'd get 1 if each. :)
Reply to: #876720 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 4:50am
Thread Board
I can't understand how the PO can be so wrong! How could they be off by more than one ounce [21 cents] plus won't bend [another 21 cents]?

Only thing I can think of is they charge for an envelope and then it turns out to be too big or too thick, and someone [or a machine] decides later that it is a package.

Just curious, were the usual 5 stamps, or their equivalent, on there?
Reply to: #876723 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 15, 2014 5:05am
Thread Board
I go to the post office and buy a "sheet" of 20 forever stamps. Not a book of stamps. The sheet only has stamps on one side. One sheet does 2 trackers. 5 on the envelope and 5 inside for the return postage. I use a taped bubble mailer, inside I use a ziploc pint freezer bag. It has 2 staples up the middle to divide it into 2 "pockets". I put half the cards in each pocket along with the 5 return stamps. I fold over the top of the ziploc and tape it. I have my address card pretaped on the outside of that ziploc. Then I put it in the bubble mailer, tape that shut and put my 5 stamps on the taped section where the stamps go.
I have never used more than 5 forever stamps both to send and receive except for once when my cards were thicker and so were a lot of the others. That time I put 6 each way.
I drop the envelope in my own mailbox and send it off. I have never done anything different and have yet to have a lost package via travel ( I did have a host lose my cards once after they were received, but that is another story). Granted I live in an urban area, but it has always worked for me and I don't worry about it.
Re: Worst year of my life.
Board: Venting Board
Reply to: #876728 by KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey
Nov 15, 2014 5:08am
Thread Board
I am so sorry to hear that! I know that when I am in pain everything else becomes harder to handle.

Just take care of yourself and hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

Virtual hugs!!
Reply to: #876742 by The Vs
Nov 15, 2014 5:28am
Thread Board
Thank you V's. I had always not trusted myself. Plus before we moved there was no way I was putting anything in the mailbox. It's probably way safer here. I gotta get into the habit of using our mailbox.

Ok. So,
instead of a metered postal rate, they put a CPU label on it for $1.40 is what I was told.
What that is, I have no idea. But some of ya'll know more about this than the others of us. We are but mere participants ♥♥
Reply to: #876744 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 5:53am
Thread Board
instead of a metered postal rate, they put a CPU label on it for $1.40 is what I was told.

That's the problem - they are using the "envelope" rate instead of "package" rate.
Reply to: #876745 by Lovebirds-NC
Nov 15, 2014 6:14am
Thread Board
So I need to always make sure they use package rate?
(You know, in an emergency where I actually do use the post office again )
Reply to: #876746 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 6:19am
Thread Board
So I need to always make sure they use package rate?

Yes, at the current rate, it would be a minimum of $2.32. (rates are probably going up again in January though:-(

And @#$%, you should be able to trust the post office employees to do it right! (((hugs)))
Reply to: #876746 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 6:25am
Thread Board
I know that bubble mailers are the way it is done, but flat manilla envelopes taped well work and don't cost as much. The issue is all the embellishments. It has been awhile, but I have used card envelopes with a self address stamped envelope- as long as the host tapes the flap it goes and goes just as well. I receive more damaged mail in bubble wrappers than anything else.

Work with the host, if you are in my trackers I don't particularly care what kind of envelope.

I received 2 from ebda that she laminated. Cost .91 cents to mail. Awesome
Reply to: #876720 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 6:56am
Thread Board
I always put five stamps, minimum on it. Period. If you make a heavier than usual tracker, put six stamps. Never let one go for less than five. If you send one to me like that, it may come back. My post office is picky.

I had a new postal worker treat my bubble mailer as an envelope one time, and tell me I only needed 85 cents on it. It turned out to need 7 stamps, because I added some extras for the host.
Seekers 1108 need prayers & positive thoughts !!
Board: State: North Carolina
Nov 15, 2014 7:12am
Thread Board
Dear Letterboxing Friends,
We have suffered a family emergency. Our youngest daughter Candace has been admitted to Baptist Hospital in Winston Salem. She is in the Oncology Dept Intensive Care Unit.
She has been sick with what she thought was the flu .....
and upon examination at our local Dr. office and then a visit to the ER at our local hospital, two very large tumors on her ovaries were discovered. She hadn't noticed anything wrong, with the exception of chest cold or flu like symptoms ... aches, nausia, sore throat, breathing difficulty.
She is only 20 years old.... and a very small girl. They have poked and prodded, done all kinds of tests and proceedures .... drew nearly 2 liters of fluid off her lungs ..... and given her a number of shots for various things.
We believe that sending her here to the GYN ONC doctors indicates that they already are thinking Cancer. It's unbearable to consider .... for such a young girl.

Candace is scared .... and so are we.

Her Dad , her Mom and Myself .... are here with her.

Please pray ... send positive thoughts ... hugs .... and anything else you can muster that will
help us.

Thank you so much for everything, especially your friendship.

Dina B. & Charlie
The Seekers 1108
Reply to: #876736 by The Wolf Family
Nov 15, 2014 7:14am
Thread Board
Re: Seekers 1108 need prayers & positive thoughts !!
Reply to: #876750 by theseekers1108
Nov 15, 2014 7:15am
Thread Board
In my thoughts and prayers.
Nov 15, 2014 7:18am
Thread Board
Praying for her and your family for strength, comfort, and the best possible outcome!!
Nov 15, 2014 7:18am
Thread Board
Will do -- so sorry to hear that.
Re: Cache feature
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #876625 by Memere
Nov 15, 2014 7:27am
Thread Board
I remember the 'cache' button. I just never knew what to do with it.
Nov 15, 2014 7:27am
Thread Board
Wonderful medical and praying forher healing and your peace. Was she with you in OH? Memories are fuzzy.
Re: Bean Recipes?
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #876702 by sun7flour
Nov 15, 2014 7:31am
Thread Board
A staple here. Try shredding your chicken. We liked it that wat too.

Crmbled taco or rortilla chips in bottom of bowl is great too.
Reply to: #876747 by Lovebirds-NC
Nov 15, 2014 7:43am
Thread Board
post office employees to do it right! (((hugs)))

Oh man. I have a cold. My dyslexia is awake & my vision is all blurry.
I thought you said the postal employees are a bunch of thugs. :)
Reply to: #876748 by S and D
Nov 15, 2014 7:45am
Thread Board
I don't mind if people send me taped manila envelopes. Especially from Canada or abroad, where postage for a tracker is MUCH more with a bubble mailer. But then you do need to make sure the envelope has all the cards segragated into sections, so that it is flat enough to go through the mail slot, AND it needs to be flexible. Otherwise they change it to package rate... And my luck as host, they change it to package rate on my end. :)

Just make sure you look up all the specifics and understand the difference and thickness, etc. Problem with trackers, is if some people have thick cards, it may affect it on the return. Some people have cards 1/8 inch thick... That really affects things.
Reply to: #876748 by S and D
Nov 15, 2014 7:46am
Thread Board
 receive more damaged mail in bubble wrappers than anything else. 

This is curious to me. I hate bubblers. I always get them back all cattywhompussed. I can never re-use them. Flats hang in there as long as taped up nice. However, all of my flats were on there last legs plus we moved. I made new ones and they are so shiny and pretty!!! :')
Re: LTC Collective Logo?
Board: LTC Collective
Reply to: #876682 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 15, 2014 7:55am
Thread Board
You're leaving it so wide open. Do you have any kind of vague idea of what you'd like in the logo? If you just leave it completely open, who knows what you'll get! If left up to me, you'd end up with hot peppers. I put hot peppers in everything.
Re: This Day in History - Dow tops 1000 in 1972
Board: History is Alive
Reply to: #876698 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Nov 15, 2014 8:02am
Thread Board
The period saw stagflation i.e. a weak economy, high unemployment and high inflation.

Totally the best time to invest in stocks! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #876760 by crosscresent
Nov 15, 2014 8:03am
Thread Board
I am actually keeping track of mail stuff. Long story, but the local po is taking photos of mail that has an issue. It delays me getting the stuff by a day or 2.

13 since August. Only one was an envelope - was the corner, small tear. Usually it is small and easily mended, but there are new sorting machines that are catching soft sided stuff in Omaha. That is the only one I know of, but who knows. Of all the bubbles I get only the taped ones have had issues. I have no answers for that- just find it curious.

I do agree thick cards, stacked, embellishments that are heavy add to it. We all hope the best when our mail leaves our home. I did make claims for lost postals and did receive a few of those back.