A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Outings Cards shuffle
Board: Rules and Variants
Reply to: #876385 by scouttrekkie
Nov 12, 2014 6:31pm
Thread Board
I guess that answers why we had those other cards we didn't know what to do with.

Well, if we hadn't stayed up past Aiphid's bed time we might have been able to pull a Phone-a-Friend. :D

But I did find out about the Archeologist Outing card we thought might be an eevil card because it has a negative effect on it. It's just a different kind of strategy to play!

Basically, the Archeologist card is the CHEAPEST card you can purchase (4 miles) with the HIGHEST find count (3 Finds) so it has to have a negative effect (must acquire a Missing Box card = -1 find) to offset that. BUT you could negate the effects of the Missing box card with a Maintenance card (retiring that Missing box card out of your deck). And by doing that, you could end up with the highest F count in the game and win!

Pretty clever actually! Of course, we didn't think of that at the time.... Really want a rematch now!!
Re: Container suggestions
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #876390 by Angel Winks
Nov 12, 2014 6:31pm
Thread Board
Pint size freezer bags are the easiest and most durable to fit in other boxes.
Re: Box replanted and clues changed
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #876272 by Apple girl
Nov 12, 2014 6:35pm
Thread Board
Done that before. And your post makes me wonder...Since the "hunt" is half the fun, should all those people who already found those boxes in the old place be allowed to log them again when they refind them in the new place? Hmmmmm?

AB
Re: excited about newbies (and oldies)
Board: LTC Collective
Reply to: #876388 by crosscresent
Nov 12, 2014 6:38pm
Thread Board
Me too! I was out of the game for a few years and have really been enjoying making new friends and seeing new peoples cards. It's nice to connect with the old friends too. :)
Re: Reposting offer of Sweetloveqiner carving material
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #876297 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:41pm
Thread Board
:(
Nov 12, 2014 6:46pm
Thread Board
The little baggies that jewelry or bead shops use. Cover those in duct tape, you've got a nice, small, sturdy little pouch!
Re: LTC frustration
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #876368 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:52pm
Thread Board
Oh, that's a good idea. The swap I'd like to join is a large one already so I don't want to ask if I can add yet another person to it. I'll do what you suggest and ask if I can be put on a waiting list. I had planned to go ahead with the card I thought up for the swap anyway, because I think it's a cool idea, and I'd like to play with it, so if someone does drop, I'll be ready for it.
Reply to: #876370 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 7:00pm
Thread Board
I can't log my finds yet! I was in one swap, but I had the cards sent to my friend in Michigan, because I have NO idea how much postage to send along for Canada. So aggravating. I'm really anxious to see the cards.

My first card was pretty simple. Black on white. I did emboss it, though. I used a heat gun at work to melt the embossing powder. It mostly worked. I did get a few stray bits of embossing powder. I thought the antistatic mat on my workbench would help cut down on static, but those little bits still stick where they shouldn't.
New to LTCs
Nov 12, 2014 7:00pm
Thread Board
Howdy!

I just signed up for my first LTC swap last week. I never had any intention of doing so, but the topic is so near and dear to our hearts, that I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

That being said, I have no artistic bone in my body and have no idea where to start. Any tips/suggestions/hints? I feel bad that the quality of my work will bring down the overall quality of the swap.

Thanks,
Lighthouse Four
Re: New to LTCs
Reply to: #876399 by Lighthouse Five
Nov 12, 2014 7:15pm
Thread Board
Don't worry. Everyone starts somewhere! :) I see you have a few carves under your belt. Start with your carve. Once you have that, something may come to you. You can always search pinterest or Google for ATC or letterbox trading card examples for inspiration. Remember, the only real requirements are size and a stamp. Everything else varies from person to person. Have fun and experiment. It's only paper.
Asking for advice
Nov 12, 2014 7:15pm
Thread Board
So I completed this today as therapy. It needs something. So help

http://shawnakeaton.blogspot.com/2014/11/just-for-fun.html
My New Blog
Nov 12, 2014 7:17pm
Thread Board
I started an LTC blog, where I'll be posting all the LTCs I make, and maybe some more stuff. If you're interested...
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBlogId=629
Reply to: #876358 by crosscresent
Nov 12, 2014 7:26pm
Thread Board
I just made a card using crayons. :-D
Re: Asking for advice
Reply to: #876401 by S and D
Nov 12, 2014 7:27pm
Thread Board
I think I'm the one who will need therapy. Your carves are so great and your card making skills are crazy! I wish I were that good! I aspire to be as good a LTC maker as you are! As for advice... I don't know. It looks so great! I'm sure others have something creative to say... :)
Nov 12, 2014 7:28pm
Thread Board
Something for her headband? She is beautiful as is. I don't usually go for shiny, but I am wondering how she would look with some bling?
Reply to: #876407 by Le Panache
Nov 12, 2014 7:28pm
Thread Board
You are way to kind. Thanks.
Nov 12, 2014 7:30pm
Thread Board
Oh and BTW I love the rose and pinkish hair. Once upon a time, I had pink hair too. :) I was never that pretty though. :)
Nov 12, 2014 7:32pm
Thread Board
I use heavy duty (4 ml) zip locks baggies of various sizes purchased on ebay. A lot of letterboxes don't have a lot of extra space for a HH, so a durable baggie a little bit larger than the items it holds is the most effective.
Nov 12, 2014 7:34pm
Thread Board
How about some red glittery lipstick?

Stunning card by the way!
Nov 12, 2014 7:39pm
Thread Board
We are trying out the Blood Glucose Test Strip containers that are about the size of a film canister, but are thick walled with a hinged lid that appears to be water tight. Since my in-laws are diabetic, we have lots of free containers. I carefully wrapped them with white duct tape, and wrote the pertinent information on the outside with a Sharpie.

Then we are taping together 11 inch strips of paper and rolling them around the stamp and sliding it into the container for a log book. You can tape them end to end like a scroll, or stack them more like a book. I stamp the stamp into the beginning of the logbook, add the box name, AQ #, and our trail name.

Now we just need to get out and plant them.

-TKV
Reply to: #876412 by MrOspital
Nov 12, 2014 7:46pm
Thread Board
Ok, so this might be a pain; but, I got a cool idea. What if you carve a second stamp in just the shape of the headband. Stamp over it and emboss in clear embossing powder to add some dimension without taking away from the overall image.
Reply to: #876321 by Penfeather
Nov 12, 2014 7:56pm
Thread Board
I'll send you some of mine! I have tons in a box just sitting here. Send me your address.

Also,if you make it, they will come. If you have an inspiration of something you love - history, art, a movie, lawn gnomes, music, seasons, or let others just send something - and make your own tracker. It'd be fun to send international (even if you are the same continent).
My brother and nephew
Board: Funny Pages
Nov 12, 2014 7:58pm
Thread Board
Different for me
Nov 12, 2014 8:11pm
Thread Board
So I carved this stamp awhile back...I can't post the link from my phone for some reason...so I'm going to ask Lava Girl to post it in the next message.
I love the carve but I normally carve people so I can't seem to turn this to a card. The only think I know for sure is that I want to use crackle accents on the face of the clock.
I'm open to any and all ideas....
Reply to: #876414 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 8:13pm
Thread Board
I don't have embossing tools so I may not know what I'm talking about. But isn't there an embossing pen? Not such a pain then.
Re: Different for me
Reply to: #876417 by Seattle Bound
Nov 12, 2014 8:20pm
Thread Board
I don't know what medium you're using. Remember that Elmer's glue that was clear and like a brown colour? Like a honey color? I used to be able to paint a surface and then put a thin layer of that over it. And then when it dried it crackled. I'm not sure but I may be remember trying that with normal Elmer's glue, too. I'm not making any promises.
Reply to: #876419 by crosscresent
Nov 12, 2014 8:22pm
Thread Board
I think I did the paint first and quickly put the glue on over before it dried. And then when it dries it crackles. Its been about 10 years since I did this. But I remember the effect was amazing. I also do remember that I think I did it on the wood.
Reply to: #876417 by Seattle Bound
Nov 12, 2014 8:24pm
Thread Board
Re: My brother and nephew
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #876416 by S and D
Nov 12, 2014 8:25pm
Thread Board
That is sooooo cute.
Reply to: #876321 by Penfeather
Nov 12, 2014 8:45pm
Thread Board
Thanks everyone for helping me to just... you know... calm the hell down already.

As you can maybe tell, art stresses me. I seem to remember one of my art profs pointing out how I go into a tailspin at a certain point in every project. Aaaand, I'm still doing it.