A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Stone Mountain Park
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #870358 by Artemis
Sep 28, 2014 11:25am
Thread Board
thanks for the advice! We will check out songbird trail. Are there any on the covered bridge island? We hiked all the way around yesterday. Our boys are pretty experienced with hiking. I don't think we are ready for the around the mountain trail or the trail to the top yet but once he gets a few months older we should be good to go. We are pretty experienced letterboxers too.

We also looked for MK's Seven Lucky Gods box but it isn't there anymore. I'm sad because their boxes top out my list of favorites.
Re: Today...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #870399 by RiverKat
Sep 28, 2014 11:47am
Thread Board
Don't feel bad. Wait until you're twice that. All in the way you think.

Trust Riverkat. She knows what she is talking about. :)
Washington State Letterboxing Patches
Board: State: Washington
Sep 28, 2014 11:50am
Board
Washington State Letterboxing patches are still available in a limited supply so get yours today!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=130066

Patches are $3.00 each. Send a SASE (one envelope for up to 2 patches) along with cash or check. I do accept PayPal for an additional $1.00 per transaction to cover the cost of PayPal fees, stamps and envelopes. Private message me for mailing address or your email to send a Request for Payment through PayPal.

Kizmet
Oregon Letterboxing Patches
Board: State: Oregon
Sep 28, 2014 11:52am
Board
Oregon Letterboxing patches are available in a limited supply so get yours today!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=130067

Patches are $3.00 each. Send a SASE (one envelope for up to 2 patches) along with cash or check. I do accept PayPal for an additional $1.00 per transaction to cover the cost of PayPal fees, stamps and envelopes. Private message me for mailing address or your email to send a Request for Payment through PayPal.

Kizmet
Washington State Treasure Hiker Patches and Pathtags
Board: State: Washington
Sep 28, 2014 12:00pm
Board
Washington State Treasure Hiker patches and pathtags are still available in a limited supply so get yours today!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=130068

What are Treasure Hikers?
Letterboxers are treasure hikers in the general sense of the word... each little piece of art set free in the world is a treasure to plant and find. But there is a larger game afoot to encourage more boxes on longer distance trails and paths, and that game is Treasure Hikers!
Treasure Hiking is a fun way to set hiking goals while letterboxing and earn cool pathtags or other accessories! It is a chance for families and friends to get out and spend some quality time discovering the world around you and getting away from the television, video games, and the hustle and bustle of city traffic and noise. Pack a lunch and spend the day exploring the trails and beauty of the Pacific Northwest.
Guidelines:
One point for each mile hiked while letterboxing, either finding or planting, on hikes of 1 mile or longer. If a hike to find or plant a letterbox is 1/2 mile in one direction and you walk the 1/2 mile back to your starting point, that counts as 1 mile hiked round trip.
The start date for earning your pathtag miles is March 20, 2009. Any miles that you have hiked prior to that date will not count towards your pathtag. Sorry.
Friendly Suggestions:
~Each hike must be a minimum of one (1) mile in length.
~ Maintenance should not count -- you will be doing maintenance anyway ;-))
~ Points should only be counted once for the purposes of "hiking while letterboxing". So if you hike out to a box you have already found with a friend or for maintenance, enjoy the walk, but don't count the points.
~ The true Treasure Hiker Spirit is about hiking while letterboxing, and reporting is on the honor system, so lets all try to play fair and have fun. If you "cheat", you are only denying yourself boxes you haven't found, miles you haven't hiked, and beautiful places you haven't seen!
~Keep track of your hikes by adding the Treasure Hiker Widget to your My Page at Atlas Quest.
~When you get your 25 miles, contact Kizmet for the address to send your $3.00 (for each tag) and a SASE to receive your pathtag!!
~All hikes must be done in the state of Washington -- but any letterboxer is eligible- you don't have to be a resident of Washington to participate.
~Trail miles earned in each participating state count toward that state's particular pathtag and cannot be added to another state's pathtag count.
~The cost of the pathtag is $3.00 ea. The money will help to recoup the upfront costs and shipping of creating the pathtag and to order more pathtags-- There is no profit made from the sale of these pathtags.
~There are three different pathtags to earn in Washington, 25 miles, 50 miles and 100 miles.
~An embroidered WALB Treasure Hiker patch is also available that you can sew onto your letterboxing backpack or bag to proudly show others that you are participating in the pathtag program. This patch will frame your pathtag once you have earned it. Each patch costs $2.00 each and you can buy one to frame each pathtag if you wish. These patches are specific to Washington and may not be available in other states.
~Pathtags can be earned by family or individually. It is your choice.

Use your best judgement when hiking and counting your miles. Remember that this is an honor system and if you cheat, you are only cheating yourself.
NOW GET OUT THERE AND BOX!

Kizmet
Re: Seeking suggestions to replace ancient technology
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #870408 by Kirbert
Sep 28, 2014 12:07pm
Thread Board
A smartphone without the phone would be an iPod touch.

That said, probably an iPad mini would be a good replacement for a Palm Pilot. I'm not an apple fan girl by any stretch (that's my boyfriend) but I do like my iPad 2 and my iPhone.

Now, if you asked my coworker to show you his Palm Pilot, he'll just raise his hand with pen written reminders and phone numbers. ;)
Re: A glorious day in Ohio
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #870329 by Trailtracker
Sep 28, 2014 12:08pm
Thread Board
Yes, the event hosted by Mama Stork was in 2004. It was my first event. I had my LITTLE granddaughter with me and she asked you for an exchange. She is now 17 years old and 6 feet tall! But you and I aren't any older- what happened?
Re: This singleton is ready to fly again!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #870412 by Book Hoarder
Sep 28, 2014 12:28pm
Thread Board
Aww....thanks! :)
Reply to: #870424 by CTEagleEye
Sep 28, 2014 1:20pm
Thread Board
I am curious about something, are all postal boxes the same? I mean, do some you need to do a carving for and others no carving is necessary? How do you know the difference? I am so interested in Postals cause my area has hardly any letter boxes...I am sorta new and still working on how to carve a stamp...Thanks!
Reply to: #870429 by The Wolf Clan
Sep 28, 2014 1:34pm
Thread Board
Hey Wolf Clan, I sent you a pm to help you with the differences. Hope this helps!
Reply to: #870421 by Rosmarinus
Sep 28, 2014 1:48pm
Thread Board
Your "little" granddaughter is now 6 foot tall???? That gave me chills!! How wonderful and I can't wait to hear what she ends up doing with the life she has before her!! UN-real!! I even remember where we were standing when she asked!! TEN years ago---yikes. And amen on the not being any older on our parts!! I still have some of the gifts we were all given and those cookies were yummy on such a cold day!!!
Reply to: #870429 by The Wolf Clan
Sep 28, 2014 2:08pm
Thread Board
I know Ryemel messaged you about this but in case anyone else is wondering, this is a postal singleton which means that one stamp is mailed in turn to each person signed up on the tracker. No need to carve anything. So in this case 1 stamp goes to each of 15 people in turn and then back to the owner.

Postal rings are typically ones where each person on the tracker carves a stamp.....usually based on a theme.....and then each person in the ring receives each of the other persons' stamps in turn. So if there were 15 people in a ring each of them would receive 14 packages (one at a time) to mail around to those in the ring and then receive their own back as well.

To tell which are which, look at the icons included in the tracker.

Hope this clarifies it for you.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #870379 by Peachfaced
Sep 28, 2014 2:10pm
Thread Board
I'm now "half way to 50"

I laughed when I read this, as I'll be turning 50 soon! My friends (both over age 50) and I hiked a mountain yesterday. Yeah, it was a small mountain, but still, hitting 50 doesn't mean you're stuck in a rocking chair for the rest of your life!

Honestly, 50 isn't so bad, so don't worry too much about being half of 50! :^)
Re: Leaving STL
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #870359 by roly-polies
Sep 28, 2014 2:19pm
Thread Board
Best wishes, Gina, we love you!
Reply to: #870435 by Rocklun
Sep 28, 2014 2:28pm
Thread Board
hitting 50 doesn't mean you're stuck in a rocking chair for the rest of your life!

Sing it sister! And when you get so old you can retire it means you DON'T HAVE TO GO TO WORK ANYMORE!!
Re: Products you bought and didn't like
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #870336 by SeerMeesh
Sep 28, 2014 2:47pm
Thread Board
Re: New to Texas
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #870367 by roly-polies
Sep 28, 2014 2:47pm
Thread Board
Welcome to Texas! Great area for Letterboxing for sure! We do have a Yahoo group you might be interested in, and we have an annual event TALE always in March and listed here on AQ. Take a look at the event, we would love to have you! Here's the link to the Yahoo Group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LETTERBOXINGTEXAS/info

Happy Boxing!
Blue Butterfly
Re: Products you bought and didn't like
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #870440 by LROSEM
Sep 28, 2014 2:59pm
Thread Board
I like the Brilliance metallics, too. However, I like gold or silver embossing much better.

For white, I emboss, as well. I use white Brilliance ink if I just need a subtle white.

Thanks Wyvern for the embossing powder tips.

I have also had mixed results with logbooks. I'd have to go look and see which one I have that I like. I will sacrifice and use thinner paper if it is smooth, and just stamp one side
Reply to: #870329 by Trailtracker
Sep 28, 2014 3:15pm
Thread Board
So glad you made it out into the wilds/lbing after so long!! You should be ready to tackle the SOHT trails! Almost shouted out to offer my company but realized we're off to Spring Grove next weekend so I should save my strength??? only another 90+ to look for since last time!!
Thanks for the fun mini-meet!
Board: State: California
Sep 28, 2014 3:17pm
Thread Board
Thanks, Ninjahara and CMinnow for the rather impromptu and super fun mini-meet! I really enjoyed meeting everyone who turned out.
My updated box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Sep 28, 2014 3:58pm
Thread Board
I just edited the clue and status for Troll Bait, and now it looks like a new listing. While I was checking restrictions (P-1/F-1) I noticed I inadvertently added a second box. I removed that, but I'm surprised the listing appears in the "newest letterboxes" listing. I don't want it to be a New Box.

What did I do wrong?
Reply to: #870410 by Kirbert
Sep 28, 2014 4:04pm
Thread Board
Yeah, I got one hug for that.
Gourmet cat food
Board: Critter Corner
Sep 28, 2014 4:04pm
Board
In cleaning out the freezer this weekend, I found a roast that had been forgotten. Since it looked good we cooked it tonight. Well, either because had been frozen for so long or we just over cooked it, it came out medium well instead of medium rare. We had the best bits for dinner but what to do with the rest? Soup? I can't eat that much soup or stew. Oh, wait! We have a blender, how about cat food? A dash of water and few minutes later, there ya go. Gourmet beef cat food. They seem to like it.

Sparky dog on the other hand is NOT pleased. He usually gets the meat mistakes.
Reply to: #870379 by Peachfaced
Sep 28, 2014 4:10pm
Thread Board
I'm 34 and I don't feel all that old. It's funny. The older you get, the less old it seems. 50 doesn't seem old to me anymore. Heck, look at Betty White. She's awesome and way past 50.

It's also interesting hearing people's ages because I had different pictures in my mind, some older, some much younger.
Reply to: #870439 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2014 4:10pm
Thread Board
That's the best part.
Like this weekend, kayaking 2 days, letterboxing, finally going up in a sailplane, letterboxing.
Is it time for bed yet?
Re: Kelsung and Zuhl letterboxing event
Board: State: California
Reply to: #870401 by Woman to Blame
Sep 28, 2014 4:13pm
Thread Board
I believe it was her daughter's signature stamp: "Paper Caper". Very cute stamp!
Re: Seeking suggestions to replace ancient technology
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #870385 by Dawnkey
Sep 28, 2014 4:15pm
Thread Board
ancient technology

That's not ancient technology! I still do all those things using nothing more than a pen or pencil some Junk mail envelopes, and an actual paper calendar. I even still calculate using the carry the one, method. No Common Core mathematics here!
Re: old wet logs
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #870360 by phynstar
Sep 28, 2014 4:53pm
Thread Board
It is true, most of these are not in boxes with locking sides.

I have done a few with triple bags, but stopped, becasue no one else seems to do this. Hmm...
Reply to: #870373 by FloridaFour
Sep 28, 2014 4:57pm
Thread Board
Now that I am using smaller L&Ls, I stopped triple bagging, because it's too crowded inside, like you said.
Reply to: #870409 by Kirbert
Sep 28, 2014 4:58pm
Thread Board
Do you mean throw out the gross logbooks and then tell the owners? Not just discretly discard them?