A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: mounted stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #4681 by Green Tortuga
Sep 24, 2014 8:21pm
Thread Board
Where is the page about mounting stamps? It's MIA....
Re: Need help, please!
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #869944 by tiggermama
Sep 24, 2014 8:21pm
Thread Board
Try toolbox-recent photos
Re: New Swap: LTC Journey: Layers and Patterns
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #869943 by System
Sep 24, 2014 8:29pm
Thread Board
There was no complaining, just discussing.
Re: Happy AQversary Front Range Hiker!
Board: State: Colorado
Reply to: #869932 by AutumnsFolly
Sep 24, 2014 8:37pm
Thread Board
Thank you Kat! It's been a fun ride and I'm hoping for 9 more years!
Reply to: #869953 by Team Awesome Pants
Sep 24, 2014 8:41pm
Thread Board
I just wanted to list a new swap....

Make Art Not War my fiends card making is supposed to be fun.
Reply to: #869955 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Sep 24, 2014 8:49pm
Thread Board
I have a card named make art not war....It's totally up for grabs if anyone in this "discussion" wants it.
I myself am always trying to improve. I cannot join that swap because I always layer...I should actually challenge myself to not layer a card. I have come a long way on my journey in making cards. I'm better at carving and at layering and at coloring than I was when I started and I hope to keep getting better and better.
Hugs and smiles to you Lava Girl!
Reply to: #869957 by Seattle Bound
Sep 24, 2014 9:18pm
Thread Board
Oh! Look at the Just The Stamp tracker! No layering allowed. I am actually re-carving a new stamp for that one because I realized I took a too easy way out after I carved my Harry Potter stamp. I can do better. My new card in the works is based on Winter's Bone. I need to change the name of my listed box.
Re: LTC's
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #869930 by Raven
Sep 24, 2014 9:26pm
Thread Board
I like the idea of a monthly Marjorie's Kids Swap. Kids can send in how many they want, any theme, and they get that number back.
My daughter doesn't want to do swaps, because it is usually 9 cards. She would rather spend a lot of time painting her cards, and just send 2 or 3.

But the way, kids are always welcome in my swaps. Some of my themes have been a bit too challenging for kids, but I had a lot do my first Horse themed tracker, and my kids trackers filled up quickly.

Maybe we could have some trackers with a limit on nber of kids joining, say 3 per tracker, so adults won't feel like they are spending a lot of time on cards that many kids will get. It doesn't happen often that I receive kids LTCs, but I don't tend to join swaps that kids are interested in.
Reply to: #869960 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Sep 24, 2014 9:32pm
Thread Board
Im in it. Just not under me. ;)
Reply to: #869954 by Front Range Hiker
Sep 24, 2014 9:42pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day dear friend. Missing you and Colorado still every day.
Reply to: #869958 by System
Sep 24, 2014 9:42pm
Thread Board
And that's all swell.
Serendipity
Board: Reading Room
Sep 24, 2014 9:48pm
Thread Board
I figured the followers of this board would understand...
Sometimes the strangest coincidences in choice of literature occur without one even realizing it.

I recently read a book by Umberto Eco, called "Baudolino". A large chunk of the story took place in Constantinople. Ok, cool location, Hagia Sophia and all, fascinating story. Once I finished that, I happened to start on "Inferno" by Dan Brown. And whaddya know... there we are again, spending a good chunk of the book in Istanbul at Hagia Sophia. I found that a fascinating coincidence, since it is not really a location that (to my experience, at least) is often featured in the books I read. But wait... the very NEXT book I picked up was "Up the Line" by Robert Silverberg. And I'll be darned, guess where all the action is? Time Travel all around Constantinople/Istanbul/Hagia Sophia!

Three consecutive books, in completely different genres (historical fiction, thriller, and sci-fi), all centered at the same place. I feel positively Turkish!

And yes, I do have "Istanbul" by They Might Be Giants on my favorite playlist, thankyouverymuch...
Re: Serendipity
Reply to: #869967 by wassamatta u
Sep 24, 2014 9:56pm
Thread Board
Hmmm prophetic or what. I think it's time to book your flight and get over there to plant a box. And you know exactly what to carve too. right??
Re: Anyone watch the older Doctor Whos?
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #818213 by RMN SD
Sep 24, 2014 10:07pm
Thread Board
SoCal is not the same without you!!! I think of you everytime I think of San Diego. Don't let go of the SD. hugs.
Re: Serendipity
Reply to: #869967 by wassamatta u
Sep 25, 2014 12:10am
Thread Board
Wassa, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?
Re: Anyone watch the older Doctor Whos?
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #818080 by Green Tortuga
Sep 25, 2014 1:01am
Thread Board
If you ever get disgustingly rich, they sell old shiny classic Doctor Who episodes for $25 a pop at Barnes and Noble.

Doc
Reply to: #869943 by System
Sep 25, 2014 1:57am
Thread Board
Wow. Really saddens me that we have people hiding behind alter ego trail names on the LTC boards now...
Forever on ABC
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Sep 25, 2014 2:11am
Thread Board
I quite enjoyed the first two episodes. Time-Travel ish Sherlock Holmes ish. And I am always a fan of Judd Hirsch.

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #869958 by System
Sep 25, 2014 3:38am
Thread Board
Cyrano, is that you?
Hobby Lobby
Board: BIA Addicts
Sep 25, 2014 3:39am
Thread Board
I visited our "local" (40 miles away) Hobby Lobby last night to pick up some coils for my BIA and was shocked to see their normal spot filled with other merchandise and a BIA and some assorted accessories on the clearance rack. Unfortunately, there were no coils there, so it looks as though I will be resorting to online ordering. I don't know if this was only a local discontinuation or company wide but those who can access a Hobby Lobby might want to check them out for marked down merchandise.
Re: mounted stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #869951 by iSignASLily
Sep 25, 2014 3:51am
Thread Board
Toolbox-Tutorials-Stamp Carving 101-Mounting the Stamp

http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/carving/mounting/
New LTC tracker
Sep 25, 2014 4:11am
Board
Reply to: #869932 by AutumnsFolly
Sep 25, 2014 4:39am
Thread Board
Oh wow! Happy day! Keep on boxin ;)
Survivor premiere
Sep 25, 2014 4:51am
Board
No spoilers here, but I couldn't be happier about the first person sent packing. This looks like it's going to be a very interesting season!
Re: Need help, please!
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #869942 by Colorful Caterpillars
Sep 25, 2014 5:10am
Thread Board
Sorry-- on the Paris Mountain event page. You don't do event boxes so I don't think you will know them, but take a look anyway.

Thanks.
Indian Camp Creek Park UPDATE
Board: State: Missouri
Sep 25, 2014 5:14am
Thread Board
If you printed the clue packet and are planning to go for these, here are few notes.

1) Orange and Pink trails are no longer available. Chief Ranger felt there were too many trails for campers who had lots of other activities to do. You can still get them by stopping by my station this weekend and helping out a bit if I need it (see #3).

2) All non-permanent boxes will be removed by end of September, so rerun your search for available boxes after that. (Dark Blue trail, Triangulation and non-LB101 boxes are permanent.)

3) If you want to go THIS WEEKEND, that is fine. I previously thought trails would be too crowded, but it turns out that I am a station and not having a class at a particular time. So any people who even come to my station will be spread out. You are welcome to come by, too. In fact, if you stop by and help folks carve stamps for a while, I will have the Orange and Pink trail boxes with me to stamp. I will be there Saturday 9-12 and 1-4 and then Sunday morning as well (9-12?) in the shelter on the NW side of the road between the dark blue and light blue trails. PARKING NOTE: The loop road will be closed, so you'll have to park in the lot before that, near the cemetery and walk up the hill.
Girl Scout event at Cuivre River St Park on Sat, Oct. 4
Sep 25, 2014 5:19am
Board
If you'd like to join Lampwick and I on October 4th, I would love to have an extra person or two to help us out at the Girl Scout troop roundup in TROY, MO at Cuivre River State Park. If we have extra helpers, we would be able to show the girls how to carve a [little] stamp. It's a booth where they just come by whenever, and traffic is likely to be pretty steady. We just explain [quickly] what letterboxing is, basically how to do it, give them a Crayola marker and a slip with clues on it and send them off. Then if they come back to return the marker, they get to stamp another stamp.

Please contact me if you are interested so that I can give you directions and add your name to their volunteer list (so you can get in).

I am guessing that there will be other reasons by then to visit that particular park anyway.
Re: Indian Camp Creek Park UPDATE
Reply to: #869983 by MO UR4Me
Sep 25, 2014 5:20am
Thread Board
"Orange and Pink trails are no longer available. Chief Ranger felt there were too many trails for campers who had lots of other activities to do."

The nanny-state gub'mint took away our LBs! Down with the man! ;-)
Re: Does anybody watch Big Brother?
Reply to: #864763 by Early Risers
Sep 25, 2014 5:24am
Thread Board
So Derrick won, and as a member of Team Anerica I thought he won extra money, but it was never mentioned in the finale. How much was it again? Glad Donny got the fan favorite bonus 25 thousand
Re: Back on the PCT
Board: Walking4Fun
Reply to: #869945 by tiggermama
Sep 25, 2014 5:33am
Thread Board
did you just hike the trail in Scotland, or did you do the C2C too??

I only hiked the trails in Scotland. Never left into England for the C2C trail.

-- Ryan