A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Why am I seeing ads?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #859233 by ST-Ranger
Jul 20, 2014 12:12pm
Thread Board
OK, now I am, on the "Tutorials" section of the website now.
Reply to: #859212 by Raven
Jul 20, 2014 12:33pm
Thread Board
I was trying to read this page and after almost every paragraph there is an ad strip. Must be my browser?

The tutorials have Google Ads on them, but you shouldn't be seeing them after "almost every paragraph." There's only a maximum of 3 ad blocks per page. There should be one just after the summary on the page, somewhere in the middle of the page, and another one at the end of the page.

The tutorials have always had them, though. That's nothing new.

-- Ryan
Re: Congrats on BotW - Mama Wolf
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #859235 by The Wolf Family
Jul 20, 2014 12:40pm
Thread Board
It is an interesting place.

I like the trails closer to your neck of the woods.....they have the most AMAZING people who come out on their day off just to rescue complete klutzs like me!!!
Reply to: #859240 by Raven
Jul 20, 2014 12:43pm
Thread Board
Shows how often I go over there!

I kind of suspect the vast majority of people who read that page find it through a Google search. Since they aren't letterboxers and unlikely to ever become premium members, I figured I'd put ads on them. They can pay for using the site through that method. =)

And I figure it's not too onerous for AQ members because while most people will look at the tutorial at some point, it's not usually the kind of thing they go back to over and over again making it annoying.

And thus, the reason for the ads there... But they've literally been there since a couple of months after I started Atlas Quest!

-- Ryan
A different carving block
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Jul 20, 2014 12:44pm
Thread Board
https://www.etsy.com/shop/cravingwans?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Has anyone tried this one. It is cheaper than sweetloveqiner.

Looking for feedback - might order and try it too.
Re: A different carving block
Reply to: #859243 by S and D
Jul 20, 2014 1:16pm
Thread Board
It's only 15x6cm. That's half the size of the larger slabs. I've done a bit of searching online for the cheapest deal. In the end, it's the shipping factor, so I sorta gave up, but size was one thing I had to constantly watch for in the listing.
Public Gardens
Board: Province: Nova Scotia
Jul 20, 2014 1:19pm
Thread Board
I was in Halifax last week visiting my family and, of course, I looked for letterboxes in the area. I noticed there are no letterboxes at Public Gardens, which seems like an obvious place to plant. Is it because there's a park rule against letterboxing, or no one's found a hiding place free from muggles, or has no one tried yet?
Re: Congrats on BotW - Mama Wolf
Reply to: #859241 by Public Hand
Jul 20, 2014 1:37pm
Thread Board
they have the most AMAZING people who come out on their day off just to rescue complete klutzs like me!!!

LOL!
You are an adventure!! You may want to put a stamp on that key chain of yours! Next time we need to hunt keys that extensively there should be a stamp for our efforts! LOL!

Hmmm... come to think of it, I think having a stamp on MY keychain would be a good idea... and my car... and my walking stick...
Re: Prayer request.
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #859226 by Cherokee Rose
Jul 20, 2014 1:43pm
Thread Board
Praying now, keep us posted!
Reply to: #859252 by Raven
Jul 20, 2014 1:45pm
Thread Board
I cousin of my husband told me no. So I have not thought about it. He is a working print artist in Paris. We has moved to all wood.
Jul 20, 2014 1:50pm
Thread Board
I do like that the guy lists WHAT the rubber is and where it's from. The Sweetloveqiner and other sellers never mention a brand at all. If we could locate what that is, it'd be easier to find a more direct (and hopefully less expensive) way to buy it.

This guy says it's HARU from Taiwan.
Re: LTC Tips And Tricks? Sound Off!
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #859124 by tigerlilly
Jul 20, 2014 1:56pm
Thread Board
Geez me too! LOL

I am NOT artistically minded by nature, and LTCs are a way of me forcing myself to do artsy things. I google and look for ideas on pinterest a lot. And things almost never come out anywhere close to what I thought they would be in my head. But I try! And I'm always so impressed with the ones I get back. I'm slowly trying new things. :) I enjoy making them, just trying to train my hands to create what is in my head. LOL

My personal favorites to do are collages. I have no idea why.... :)
Re: Greeting From Colorado #4
Board: Postals
Reply to: #858593 by Cowdrey Clan
Jul 20, 2014 2:13pm
Thread Board
I have just added two more states - Utah and Vermont. If you are from those states, check out the tracker. Seems North Dakota and South Dakota have no letterboxers living in their states. That's just a real bummer! No letterboxers? Really?
Reply to: #859255 by Peachfaced
Jul 20, 2014 2:22pm
Thread Board
This rubber block is one of the quality rubber that I found.

if you need more I could prepare a custom listing for you.

This exact phrase has shown up on 3 different shops. I'm so confused. Do all these people know each other?? Maybe they have carving mini-meets in Skype. The colored stuff in the big slabs seems to be from China. The Haru guy says that Taiwanese rubber is less crumble [sic] than Chinese rubber and less expensive than Japanese rubber. It would suck to pay all that shipping for stuff that acts crumble like pink.

The Japanese stuff seems to come in smaller sizes, but also comes in colors and seems to be the standard "best" Harunabi stuff that everyone compares their stuff to. My head swims with all the possibilities. Wish I weren't such a cheapskate!

Waiting for the tracker review! Frankly, though, if Kirbert, a knife carver with like a gazillion highly detailed carves under his belt, says it's good for that, I tend to believe him. That, and I'm a sucker for anyone who uses words like "lubricity."
Re: Less than five months
Reply to: #859232 by The Wolf Family
Jul 20, 2014 2:52pm
Thread Board
YAY!!

i really like this idea.

~tigs
Jul 20, 2014 2:54pm
Thread Board
I'm staying away from anything for "hand craving". I have enough to think about without wondering if my rubber purchase causes cannibalism.
Jul 20, 2014 2:55pm
Thread Board
Standing with you in prayer. hugs.
As you would say...
Run when you can, Walk if you have to, Crawl if you Must, but NEVER, EVER GIVE UP!

May Jesus be with you all and give peace and healing.
hugs from BC Canada.
pilgrims
Jul 20, 2014 3:05pm
Thread Board
I just sent Jo an email. What are the chances she might tell me the brand and store she purchases her blocks from? Haha.... probably low, but can't hurt to try. My husband has 2 cousins in Singapore, and we just visitd them last week...

Everything is expensive in Singapore, so price doesn't surprise me. But there might be some little shops away from the tourist areas that sell for less. Problem is neither cousin owns a car... cars are 5x as expensive there, than here. Parking is unbelievable. They take taxis and buses everywhere. I am betting the carving blocks actually are made in Malaysia, where things are a lot cheaper.
Re: Boxcar Willie
Board: State: Utah
Reply to: #859227 by Boxer Lover47
Jul 20, 2014 3:14pm
Thread Board
Did you look for a listing on LBNA?

I hadn't thought of that. I just checked with similar but fewer results. That same letterbox in Texas was the best match. There were no close matches to letterboxers.

Whereabouts, generally, is it?

Since this isn't some grand mystery (or at least one that no one knows about) I might as well tell. Easy location description: N 41° 13.753 W 111° 59.383.

It is just off of the Weber River Parkway. From Skate Street Trailhead (off of 21st Street), go south under the railroad tracks then east until you see a locked gate in front of you (but the paved trail goes around). From the Kayak Park Trailhead (near the east end of Exchange Road) go north on the trail, over the bridge and northeast until the trail turns straight west at the fence. The first one is slightly shorter by only a few hundred feet. Once you get there, look for the concrete blocks. Go straight west about 20 feet and look north. It isn't visible from the trail so the only ones that will see it are those searching for the geocache that has been there since 31 Aug 2008.
Re: LTC Tips And Tricks? Sound Off!
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #859124 by tigerlilly
Jul 20, 2014 3:17pm
Thread Board
I'm still very new at this and after reading the previous threads, I will be stepping up my game....significantly.

I'm not new to LTC's and maybe I need to step up my game too. Mostly I try (key word try) to make sure that the stamp image isn't drowning in the whole card by too many other things on the card.
I've gotten some pretty simply LTC's that are my absolute favorite and then I've gotten some that I'm asking myself "How they do that?" I like to recycle and use things already around the house or perhaps use some materials that I had used on some other project.
Lately been cleaning my house and downsizing my craft supplies.
Speaking of which, have so many stamps from where I've done LTC's and I'm just not much of a planter. I have some stamps that look good for the LTC, because I color them and they pop. But in the wild where most just slap black ink on them. They don't carry the same point across.
We have hit $600!!!
Board: Saving the World
Jul 20, 2014 3:20pm
Thread Board
Thank you little monkey for taking us to $600!

Gg
Re: Back from the dead?
Board: State: Colorado
Reply to: #859205 by AutumnsFolly
Jul 20, 2014 3:20pm
Thread Board
Wow! Box # 412, that is a LOW box #. Always love those. I only have found one that has a lower #.
Fascinating Carving demo
Jul 20, 2014 3:21pm
Thread Board
This was really interesting, especially in that she does exactly the opposite of what I would have done: honking gouge for the smaller areas and knife for the larger areas. The fatness of the carving medium allowed her to go really deep, but it's fun to watch her adjust the depth based on the width the part being removed. I'd love to have stamps that looked as good in the cutaways as in the actual image. Check it out. Also a good demo of handheld vs. tabletop. Worth noting since I've heard it said that knife carving is a pain b/c you have to make two cuts to effect the same cuts a gouge will do in one pass, is that she does a lot less digging out of excess material. Nothing more gratifying than when you get the angle just so and the whole thing pops out. And almost NO clean up! (Cheater pants on the lettering, though, she says smugly.) I want to be her when I grow up.
Re: Theme
Reply to: #859219 by Kelsung
Jul 20, 2014 3:24pm
Thread Board
Anyone else heard Weird Al's new song "Foil"?

I prefer to boldly listen to "Word Crimes". That is the best of this album 2 speak of. I can C ded pronouns. Its a crime 2 ! no how 2 speel. ;-)
Re: Fascinating Carving demo
Reply to: #859267 by Wry Me
Jul 20, 2014 3:28pm
Thread Board
Gee, look how it comes off so easily! What carving medium?
Reply to: #859269 by Sunia
Jul 20, 2014 3:33pm
Thread Board
I dunno! Waaahhhhh. Not that it would matter. I'm still a cheapskate.
Jul 20, 2014 3:36pm
Thread Board
That was amazing. Is she from Singapore or Japan? And can we find out which carving block that is? I am pretty sure we can not carve like that on pink or OZ. I would switch to knife carving if I could get it to work for me like that!
Jul 20, 2014 3:46pm
Thread Board
Wow! If I could carve that well with a blade I'd use a blade much more.
Jul 20, 2014 4:03pm
Thread Board
Prayers headed his and his familys way!
Re: housepitality hostess hosted trackers
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #857135 by Housepitality Hostess
Jul 20, 2014 4:13pm
Thread Board
You would be welcome in NM with us as well and if your RV didn't fit in our drive way then there is an RV park on the base nearby which we can easily get you into.