A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Surprise in the woods
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #856363 by Sunia
Jul 5, 2014 4:24pm
Thread Board
Have most people accidentally met another boxer in the woods, boxing?

Yep, in the woods on quite a few occasions, and once in downtown Boston. If I see people walking around with what I think are clues, I always ask if they're letterboxing. I think I've been wrong only once. It's really cool when this happens and the people say that they've never met another letterboxer before! :^)

BTW, I've tried "Which way is north?" a couple of times, but it's never worked for me.
Re: Cleaning out some
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #856385 by S and D
Jul 5, 2014 4:29pm
Thread Board
This pile is headed out
Re: "split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856370 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 4:57pm
Thread Board
With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser.

Hmm.... On my computer, a text size of "normal" does the trick. It might be that the print area of your printer is different than mine, but it could also be that your page settings might have wider margins than mine as well.

But I figure that normal-size text ought to be small enough to break into two columns and as far as I'm concerned, it's a bug that it's not! So I changed the minimum width for a column to be from 25 ems to 20 ems. Hopefully that should fix it for you.

I kind of want to retire the screen and print text size preferences completely because browsers already do that so well on their own. Often time, better than AQ can do it since AQ doesn't know how wide your browser is but your browser does know! And browsers will increase the size of photos and icons which AQ generally doesn't. Not to mention that AQ doesn't really add much in terms of functionality. Seems like it would be a lot less complicated just to hand that job over the browser and ditch those options completely from AQ.

-- Ryan
Re: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #856349 by Wendy
Jul 5, 2014 4:59pm
Thread Board
You may not intentionally done an adjustment for this but it is wonderful just the same.

Oh, it was definitely intentional. *nodding* Part of my 1000-step plan to turn AQ into a smartphone-friendly website. ;o)

It'll take months (and perhaps years) to fully convert it, but eventually it'll get done.... One page and one feature at time. =)

-- Ryan
Jul 5, 2014 5:10pm
Thread Board
Very early in my 'boxing, I was coming out of a park after having finished a series when I met a hiker entering the park. There was something about her that made me wonder, maybe it was her day pack. We greeted each other and I asked, "Do you have ink on your fingers?" She laughed. Yes! We exchanged. To this day I cherish that exchange, my first! And I cherish her as a friend!
postcards! omg I live them!!I
Board: State: Tennessee
Jul 5, 2014 5:18pm
Thread Board
I received a postcard today from a tracker I am in. I absolutely love it! It's so much fun to get postcards with stamps on them :-) I did not put this in the letterbox trading card section board because I've already gotten a little bit of slack about my love for postcards. But that's okay, I don't care. If anybody else wants to do any postcard trading with me just let me know. I have a few really cool postcards from the Carnton Plantation that are freebies. I did not have to pay for them. They are giving them out because of an event that is coming up. The only people that receive these in the mail are Carnton family members. People from the Civil War/Battle of Franklin.
Right now I have 6. I can maybe get 6 more :)
I'm going to carve a stamp. This post card has an invitation for that event. The event is in october.
These cards will have an AQ#.
Btw, I have a pretty cool box here :)
Hey Serj
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Jul 5, 2014 6:12pm
Thread Board
You in here?
Jul 5, 2014 6:36pm
Thread Board
I've been fortunate to have met up with other letterboxers on the trail four times. Three times we were looking for the same box/series and once someone who'd just pulled into a parking lot after me recognized me as being a boxer because she saw clue sheets on the seat of my car. She was there walking her dog and I set out to look for a series. I get so excited and flustered when I meet other boxers on the trail!
Re: Giant Master Pic on Sunday the 22nd?
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #856325 by Sally O
Jul 5, 2014 6:38pm
Thread Board
Munchkin is 5! Yes, time flies!

Unfortunately, it looks like I broke my pinky toe again and I won't be hiking for a while, so if anyone has any driveby's..... let me know!

BB
Which way is north?-meeting people in the "field"-curious
Board: New Members' Board
Jul 5, 2014 6:39pm
Thread Board
Hi! Everybody! I love to meet people! I have not seen anything on this except in 2 people's replies to others' posts. What is this "which way is north?" I guess I am more curious than anything-if you have any info, let me know.

I also saw something about asking if people had ink on there fingers (which makes complete sense to me). I also carry my Atlas Quest bag with me (trying to remember to put it on my shoulder so the words are facing out). So if you happen to see me out somewhere, please say hi!

Thank you!
Re: Holy cow! Those must be some fantastic recipes!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #856335 by Southern Oracle
Jul 5, 2014 6:45pm
Thread Board
I can do better than that. I've got a copy I'd be willing to part with for 9,999.00. Any takers?
Re: Which way is north?-meeting people in the "field"-curious
Reply to: #856396 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jul 5, 2014 6:53pm
Thread Board
I won't vouch for how effective it is, but "Which way is north ?" is another way of identifying another letterboxer while out on the trail. If you suspect someone may be a letterboxer you'd ask them this question and they'd respond by pointing up to the sky (rather than toward actual north) if they are a letterboxer.
Re: postcards! omg I live them!!I
Reply to: #856391 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 7:07pm
Thread Board
Could I have one too? You may already have my address because we both joined the same tracker. I really liked the vacation card you sent.
Re: postcards! omg I live them!!I
Reply to: #856391 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 7:17pm
Thread Board
I am interested :)
Reply to: #856400 by SpyCat
Jul 5, 2014 7:37pm
Thread Board
I won't vouch for how effective it is, but "Which way is north ?" is another way of identifying another letterboxer while out on the trail.

This method is EXTREMELY effective. In fact, when I was at the first "Live and Breathe", I must have used it a couple dozen times, and almost EVERY TIME, it was a letterboxer!!
Reply to: #856396 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jul 5, 2014 7:58pm
Thread Board
We have used it a few times now, on the trail, and it has worked for the most part. We had one family that we met on the trail and asked them the question and they kind of pointed in a direction that they thought it was and we each walked on down the trail. A short while later they came back down the trail and said that they were letter boxers and worked it out that we were too. We did an exchange and laughed about it as we got back on our way.
Re: Happy AQ-versary Dbare!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #856254 by Dbare
Jul 5, 2014 8:10pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ bday!

csk
Re: Back in the state
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #856209 by Papa Bear
Jul 5, 2014 8:27pm
Thread Board
hi there! welcome home!

my sister, eeyoremama, lives in Jax. She doesn't read the boards frequently, but she does answer when i call her. i'll tell her you're new in town and to get in touch with you. Alternatively, you can just leave her an AQ mail - she reads that pretty regularly.

There's an event in Jax every year - although this year we moved it to St Augustine. It's in Anastasia State Park, Feb 7-8, 2015. It's called Love Those Movies this year, movies being the theme. Last year was tv shows. It's a great time - hope you can come.

~tigs
Re: what is that stuff
Board: Forgotten Hobbies
Reply to: #856347 by Romana
Jul 5, 2014 8:33pm
Thread Board
Oh geez… petal procelain?!?!?

It makes me sad that I remember that.

edit-
You can actually buy it here
Box that can only be found by search terms?
Jul 5, 2014 8:56pm
Thread Board
Another question on the intricacies of listing letterboxes!

Is there a way to list a box so that it doesn't show up on a location search OR in my list of plants, but that can only be found by searching for the right title? I don't want this to be a mystery box where the location is a mystery--I want it to be a box with normal clues that aren't too hard to follow, but you don't even know it exists unless you can figure out the name and type it into the search bar.

For context, this would be part of a series of boxes planted in different locations in the same area. The other nine boxes would be listed normally and their names form an obvious sequence. But one phrase in the sequence is missing, and you can't click on my list of carves or plants to find it. If you realize that one phrase is missing and search for a box with that title, you'll find the listing for the box as well as the clues.

Anyone know of a way to accomplish this?
Re: help with a box we planted in PA
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #856322 by Hiking Vikings
Jul 5, 2014 8:57pm
Thread Board
Hi Brian, Thanks for your post. I see you found "Peace be With You" at the Flight 93 Memorial Chapel near Somerset, PA. That's one of my daughter's plants, too! You almost had 2 of her plants! Thanks again, Jamie (Violet B) My daughter is "Lilybug"
Re: Favorite freezables?
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #856364 by Uncorny Acorns
Jul 5, 2014 9:06pm
Thread Board
I, too, like have some things prepped and ready to go.

**I'll brown 6 pounds or so of ground beef and package it is 6 containers. All ready for soups and chili and sloppy joes, etc

**We'll buy a huge pork shoulder from Costco and slow-roast it. Then I shred the meat and package it in 1 or 2 cup portions. All ready for BBQ pork, pork tacos, posole, etc.

**I will also package up cooked chicken in 1 or 2 cup portions for casseroles and chicken salads.

**If I have an abundance of peppers or onions, I will chop them and freeze to toss into soups and casseroles.

**One year, we had a CSA box and we were drowning in greens and squash. I would cook them up (separately!) and freeze in 1 cup portions. I use the greens for pizza and lasagna and soups; the squash as a side or to make pumpkin bread.
Patience
Board: State: Florida
Jul 5, 2014 9:19pm
Thread Board
To whom it may concern: My "Patience" letterbox has been refurbished and is back in business.
Jul 5, 2014 9:20pm
Thread Board
There was a series planted on a rail trail up in PA--a Letterboxer's 12 Days of Christmas series, with the logbook in the last box which was very near the parking lot. I was sitting in the car stamping in when suddenly somebody started banging on my window. I looked up & here was this strange woman in a hat peering in....

It was MizScarlet who had come by to check on her box. :D
Re: what is that stuff
Board: Forgotten Hobbies
Reply to: #856360 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 5, 2014 9:24pm
Thread Board
Where's the "AHHHHHHH!" button? Who would want those terrifying things in their house? The first time I saw an episode with them in it, it gave me the heebie-jeebies!
Reply to: #856375 by Early Risers
Jul 5, 2014 10:04pm
Thread Board
Its interesting that cemetery workers like to box. But how did you know that? Did it come up in casual conversation?
Reply to: #856380 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 10:05pm
Thread Board
I didn't even think to exchange stamps right then and there!
Reply to: #856386 by Rocklun
Jul 5, 2014 10:09pm
Thread Board
I have asked several times, but usually they are Geocachers and don't know what I am talking about.

Where did this Which way is north come from?
Reply to: #856390 by R
Jul 5, 2014 10:10pm
Thread Board
That's a great question! Do you have ink on your fingers?
Re: Letterboxing T-Shirts - Become your own Search Engine
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #852738 by EmcSquared
Jul 5, 2014 10:11pm
Thread Board
Just got my yellow one in the mail today! I love it.