A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: "split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856334 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 1:35pm
Thread Board
If you want to print regularly with 2 columns, I'd suggest changing your print settings on AQ so you won't have to mess around with the print settings on your browser every time you want to print.

That took care of it. I did have the print preference set to large text. With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser. Thanks.
Re: Surprise in the woods
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #856363 by Sunia
Jul 5, 2014 1:37pm
Thread Board
We have met some boxers when we were logging in a mystery box, so we had to be really evasive and hiding the stamp, etc. They were not boxing though. They were just visiting the park that day.

A few years ago, I met some boxers who were logging in one of my boxes, as I was arriving to do maintenance. It was a drive by box, not on a trail, though. That was a pleasant surprise!
Jul 5, 2014 1:49pm
Thread Board
Met AZ Roadie on the trail once while boxing with BoxerLover in the Tucson area. He was coming to do maintenance on a box while he hiked with a hiking group. we were far enough off the trail the hiking group didn't see us.
Maple Story Beasties
Board: State: Connecticut
Jul 5, 2014 2:21pm
Board
I'm surprised a bit that these two boxes weren't found often since I planted them. I don't think the clues are that hard. But I need to go and check out how they are doing. The kingdom they are in have just got some new characters that has made changes to the environment there. ;-)

Sally-O
Re: what is that stuff
Board: Forgotten Hobbies
Reply to: #856361 by Romana
Jul 5, 2014 2:30pm
Thread Board
There was some stuff called Dip and Drape. It was sold in folded sheets and sort of like plaster cast. You got it wet and shaped it over a form. It was very shapeable and easy to work with. You then painted it after it dried well. Not sure if this helps. Good luck!
Re: Favorite freezables?
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #856364 by Uncorny Acorns
Jul 5, 2014 2:48pm
Thread Board
I make breakfast burritos with whole grain tortillas, scrambled eggs, salsa, and potatoes and cheese. I make 14 of them on sunday and pull out two each morning from my freezer for our breakfast. (actually, i pull them out the day before so they have time to thaw. as i pull mondays on sunday, tuesdays on monday etc.) You would never know that i did not make the eggs that morning. you can scramble the eggs and add any ingredients you like, including vegetables and not put the cheese in. keeps us going all the way to lunch. ( my son is 16 so this is important.) you can also make mini quiches and store them that way. two muffin sizes. we put veggies in the eggs, hash browned potatoes for the crust and bake them. I always use rotel or the hot pace for the seasoning.) we like it hot.
Re: Favorite freezables?
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #856364 by Uncorny Acorns
Jul 5, 2014 2:51pm
Thread Board
I also bake about six thighs and legs on sunday with my fav seasonings (cummin, curry, red pepper flakes and garlic, salt) and seperate the meet and freeze it. then i can pull it for king ranch chicken, potato chicken and salsa with rice or just about anything that needs chicken in it.
Re: personal traveler
Board: Personal Travelers
Reply to: #856362 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 2:54pm
Thread Board
I was thinking that it's been done before. :)
Jul 5, 2014 2:59pm
Thread Board
I met a boxer with her noxer... (I feel a rap song coming on) :/

Anyhoo... We exchanged stamps. She didn't understand the point, but I was so excited. She never logged and I never saw her again. Plus she hadn't registered and her trail name was already taken :/
Jul 5, 2014 3:14pm
Thread Board
why would it just have to be your car only? it's magnetized which means it can be moved to either car.
Jul 5, 2014 3:47pm
Thread Board
And hiding it under my car.

There is a boxer around here (northern Utah) that does this. The clue has a picture of where it is hidden. However, when the car is brought to an event but parking is far from the event (like the first event I went to with her) she brings it inside.
Jul 5, 2014 4:02pm
Thread Board
Have most people accidentally met another boxer in the woods, boxing?

The only time that I met a boxer "in the wild" was at a park next to the city building. We were both going for first-finder on a new box, but I got there first. I was stamping in (away from the hiding location) when she came up with her baby in a stroller. To a letterboxer it was obvious what I was doing so we exchanged stamps.

However, I was planting a letterbox once when I spotted Boxer Lover 47's SUV in the parking lot. I was planting near enough to the main trail that I could see anyone passing, but she must have taken the alternative trail back. I'd exchanged with her before but it was a near miss to my second encounter "in the wild".

All of my other exchanges have been at events.
Cleaning out some
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jul 5, 2014 4:22pm
Thread Board
Have only one set- no trade needed. I'm am completely behind.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=241064
Jul 5, 2014 4:24pm
Thread Board
Have most people accidentally met another boxer in the woods, boxing?

Yep, in the woods on quite a few occasions, and once in downtown Boston. If I see people walking around with what I think are clues, I always ask if they're letterboxing. I think I've been wrong only once. It's really cool when this happens and the people say that they've never met another letterboxer before! :^)

BTW, I've tried "Which way is north?" a couple of times, but it's never worked for me.
Re: Cleaning out some
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #856385 by S and D
Jul 5, 2014 4:29pm
Thread Board
This pile is headed out
Re: "split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856370 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 4:57pm
Thread Board
With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser.

Hmm.... On my computer, a text size of "normal" does the trick. It might be that the print area of your printer is different than mine, but it could also be that your page settings might have wider margins than mine as well.

But I figure that normal-size text ought to be small enough to break into two columns and as far as I'm concerned, it's a bug that it's not! So I changed the minimum width for a column to be from 25 ems to 20 ems. Hopefully that should fix it for you.

I kind of want to retire the screen and print text size preferences completely because browsers already do that so well on their own. Often time, better than AQ can do it since AQ doesn't know how wide your browser is but your browser does know! And browsers will increase the size of photos and icons which AQ generally doesn't. Not to mention that AQ doesn't really add much in terms of functionality. Seems like it would be a lot less complicated just to hand that job over the browser and ditch those options completely from AQ.

-- Ryan
Re: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #856349 by Wendy
Jul 5, 2014 4:59pm
Thread Board
You may not intentionally done an adjustment for this but it is wonderful just the same.

Oh, it was definitely intentional. *nodding* Part of my 1000-step plan to turn AQ into a smartphone-friendly website. ;o)

It'll take months (and perhaps years) to fully convert it, but eventually it'll get done.... One page and one feature at time. =)

-- Ryan
Jul 5, 2014 5:10pm
Thread Board
Very early in my 'boxing, I was coming out of a park after having finished a series when I met a hiker entering the park. There was something about her that made me wonder, maybe it was her day pack. We greeted each other and I asked, "Do you have ink on your fingers?" She laughed. Yes! We exchanged. To this day I cherish that exchange, my first! And I cherish her as a friend!
postcards! omg I live them!!I
Board: State: Tennessee
Jul 5, 2014 5:18pm
Thread Board
I received a postcard today from a tracker I am in. I absolutely love it! It's so much fun to get postcards with stamps on them :-) I did not put this in the letterbox trading card section board because I've already gotten a little bit of slack about my love for postcards. But that's okay, I don't care. If anybody else wants to do any postcard trading with me just let me know. I have a few really cool postcards from the Carnton Plantation that are freebies. I did not have to pay for them. They are giving them out because of an event that is coming up. The only people that receive these in the mail are Carnton family members. People from the Civil War/Battle of Franklin.
Right now I have 6. I can maybe get 6 more :)
I'm going to carve a stamp. This post card has an invitation for that event. The event is in october.
These cards will have an AQ#.
Btw, I have a pretty cool box here :)
Hey Serj
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Jul 5, 2014 6:12pm
Thread Board
You in here?
Jul 5, 2014 6:36pm
Thread Board
I've been fortunate to have met up with other letterboxers on the trail four times. Three times we were looking for the same box/series and once someone who'd just pulled into a parking lot after me recognized me as being a boxer because she saw clue sheets on the seat of my car. She was there walking her dog and I set out to look for a series. I get so excited and flustered when I meet other boxers on the trail!
Re: Giant Master Pic on Sunday the 22nd?
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #856325 by Sally O
Jul 5, 2014 6:38pm
Thread Board
Munchkin is 5! Yes, time flies!

Unfortunately, it looks like I broke my pinky toe again and I won't be hiking for a while, so if anyone has any driveby's..... let me know!

BB
Which way is north?-meeting people in the "field"-curious
Board: New Members' Board
Jul 5, 2014 6:39pm
Thread Board
Hi! Everybody! I love to meet people! I have not seen anything on this except in 2 people's replies to others' posts. What is this "which way is north?" I guess I am more curious than anything-if you have any info, let me know.

I also saw something about asking if people had ink on there fingers (which makes complete sense to me). I also carry my Atlas Quest bag with me (trying to remember to put it on my shoulder so the words are facing out). So if you happen to see me out somewhere, please say hi!

Thank you!
Re: Holy cow! Those must be some fantastic recipes!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #856335 by Southern Oracle
Jul 5, 2014 6:45pm
Thread Board
I can do better than that. I've got a copy I'd be willing to part with for 9,999.00. Any takers?
Re: Which way is north?-meeting people in the "field"-curious
Reply to: #856396 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jul 5, 2014 6:53pm
Thread Board
I won't vouch for how effective it is, but "Which way is north ?" is another way of identifying another letterboxer while out on the trail. If you suspect someone may be a letterboxer you'd ask them this question and they'd respond by pointing up to the sky (rather than toward actual north) if they are a letterboxer.
Re: postcards! omg I live them!!I
Reply to: #856391 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 7:07pm
Thread Board
Could I have one too? You may already have my address because we both joined the same tracker. I really liked the vacation card you sent.
Re: postcards! omg I live them!!I
Reply to: #856391 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 7:17pm
Thread Board
I am interested :)
Reply to: #856400 by SpyCat
Jul 5, 2014 7:37pm
Thread Board
I won't vouch for how effective it is, but "Which way is north ?" is another way of identifying another letterboxer while out on the trail.

This method is EXTREMELY effective. In fact, when I was at the first "Live and Breathe", I must have used it a couple dozen times, and almost EVERY TIME, it was a letterboxer!!
Reply to: #856396 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jul 5, 2014 7:58pm
Thread Board
We have used it a few times now, on the trail, and it has worked for the most part. We had one family that we met on the trail and asked them the question and they kind of pointed in a direction that they thought it was and we each walked on down the trail. A short while later they came back down the trail and said that they were letter boxers and worked it out that we were too. We did an exchange and laughed about it as we got back on our way.
Re: Happy AQ-versary Dbare!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #856254 by Dbare
Jul 5, 2014 8:10pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ bday!

csk