Jul 5, 2014 7:45am
Thread Board
Thanks for the info!! And I would like to echo your "thank you, Ryan"
Re: Back in the state
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #856209 by Papa Bear
Jul 5, 2014 8:17am
Thread Board
Looking forward to meeting you! I'm in Centeal Florida, but spend a bit if time in St Augustine.

Looks like the events were mentioned...we're also planning a FL PAL day to coincide with our LB season :)
Re: "split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856326 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 8:38am
Thread Board
When I unchecked "use single column layout" to allow two columns, I had to change my print setting to 80% before two columns showed up in the print preview.

That's probably because your Usability Preferences are set to use large type. AQ breaks up columns so they stay at least "25 ems" wide--think of an em as roughly the width of an uppercase M and you wouldn't be far off the mark. So there needs to be enough space for 50 ems across the page (not including margins!) before it'll break into two columns--which is why you'll never see columns on smaller devices like smartphones (which just aren't wide enough for that sort of thing). But you also won't see them on (most) printer-sized paper if you're using "large" or "huge" fonts on AQ. (Unless, as you noted, you shrink the print size.) If you want to print regularly with 2 columns, I'd suggest changing your print settings on AQ so you won't have to mess around with the print settings on your browser every time you want to print.

-- Ryan
Holy cow! Those must be some fantastic recipes!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jul 5, 2014 8:39am
Thread Board
Re: Holy cow! Those must be some fantastic recipes!
Reply to: #856335 by Southern Oracle
Jul 5, 2014 8:50am
Thread Board
It's selling for 10 grand!

The beauty of the thing is that you only have to sell 1 to really score. *nodding* It's always a lot easier to sell 1 book than 100,000! =)

-- Ryan
Jul 5, 2014 9:06am
Thread Board
And it's a USED book! Imagine what it was worth when it was NEW!
Reply to: #856326 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 9:14am
Thread Board
I'm just not seeing any difference in the results with the two column options. And I've got small text selected, so that shouldn't be the issue.
Reply to: #856334 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:18am
Thread Board
Another thing.... Older browsers won't support some of these options.

If you're using the most recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari or IE, no problem! Most people have relatively current versions of Firefox, Chrome and Safari and all features will work fine. Internet Explorer often cannot be updated on older operating systems, however, so if you're on an older computer with Internet Explorer, many of these options simply won't work. The table of contents, QR codes, and hide box details options should work with all browsers on all computers since they don't rely on new CSS constructs to work correctly. The other options... may not work if your browser is too old.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #856339 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:24am
Thread Board
I'm on my work machine, and I'm representin' a version of IE that is so old I have to use a hand crank to get it started. Lemme see what happens when I make the switch to google chrome.
Re: help with a box we planted in PA
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #856309 by Janila
Jul 5, 2014 9:26am
Thread Board
Thanks! I'll give that a try. When we planted the box, I was surprised that there weren't other boxes nearby on the bike trail....it's such a great bike trail and there are so many wonderful places to plant boxes. Thanks again!
Reply to: #856339 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:27am
Thread Board
yep... that did it!
Reply to: #856315 by Granny Butterfly
Jul 5, 2014 9:30am
Thread Board
Hi, thanks for your reply. I think you found her plant at the Flight 93 memorial chapel #223456 Peace be with you. The books are wonderful....I'd say age 11 and up for there own reading, younger if you read aloud to them. I'll try to adjust location. Thanks again! Jamie
Re: Having a blast in Nashville!
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #856332 by Raven
Jul 5, 2014 9:30am
Thread Board
God! How horrible! I am so sorry that it happened but I am very glad that she is safe!!! How stupid and UNACCEPTABLE that a CHILDREN'S museum of all places!! doesn't have security cameras in place to prevent a tragedy.

I was once in a small town and went to get a box inside a small children's museum and EVEN THEY had the intelligence to realize a SINGLE adult entering the museum WITHOUT children? Put them on alert. The person behind the counter was immediately suspicious of me and my motives-- until I told her I was there for the letterbox inside the museum. It turned out that SHE WAS A LETTERBOXER, too! AND the museum staff wisely moved the letterbox to behind the counter to avoid any problems.

It is terrible, but everyone must be vigilant and observant these days!
Reply to: #856316 by Cyclonic
Jul 5, 2014 9:31am
Thread Board
Thank you! Do you ride bicycles? If so, it is a beautiful trail. Jamie
what is that stuff
Board: Forgotten Hobbies
Jul 5, 2014 10:32am
Thread Board
Some 25-ish years ago, I saw some stuff that came in a bottle about the size of mod-podge. You painted it on, for example, a silk flower, and it coated the flower with an air-dry ceramic, which could then be painted, attached to a bowl, or whatever. Anyone know what it was called or where I could get some? It comes to mind that I could paint this stuff on "barbies" from the dollar store, then paint my "ceramic dolls" and make them dresses, and sell them at a profit on etsy. I'm good with cloth. A sculptor I'm not.

Romana
Jul 5, 2014 10:34am
Thread Board
And that's the old, out of print version.

You can get the new, updated version here for only $11.99. And no, I don't have any idea who's attempting to sell the overpriced used copy. It isn't me.

Romana
Re: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #856099 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 10:49am
Thread Board
It is with great excitement to say when I went boxing today, my phone displayed the clues in a wrap around mode vs the previous full page which required moving the page back and forth to read the clues! I did not do anything with my settings whatsoever. You may not intentionally done an adjustment for this but it is wonderful just the same. None of the other info appears in the wrap around mode except the info on the clue page which is just fine, but when walking and reading clues on a very small screen it works great!

Thanks,
Wendy
Event Sign-up Deadline
Board: State: Colorado
Jul 5, 2014 10:55am
Board
This is your LAST CHANCE to sign up for the Denver Road Rally: A Decade of Fun.
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gEventId=3153

We hope to see you next weekend!!!
~~Newport
Board: State: Rhode Island
Jul 5, 2014 11:18am
Board
Hello R.I. boxers~ the last week in September I will be doing a bus tour of 6 New England states in 8 days. Being on a guided tour, it's going to be difficult to box. But, I'm going to give it a try. With some help from fellow boxers in each state I may pull it off.
I do know we will be at The Breakers in Newport for a day visit around the 25th. Who lives close by??.. raise your hand.
AQ mail me if you can lead a hand, & make your 'P' count go up at the same time. ~thanks
They call it the "Beautiful Game"
Board: Sports Emporium
Jul 5, 2014 11:20am
Board
If you watched Brazil and Columbia play in the World Cup yesterday, you must be wondering why. 54 called fouls (a World Cup record), 100 more not called, players diving at every opportunity. Brazil's star is "assaulted" resulting in a cracked vertebrae... and the ref failed to even call it a foul. It was the most unwatchable match I can recall. There is a saying, "Soccer is a game of gentlemen played by thugs, and rugby is a game of thugs played by gentlemen." Yesterday's game certainly proved the first part true.

Old Blue
despising the ugly game
Re: Eevil Gnome BBQ
Reply to: #856289 by Wronghat
Jul 5, 2014 11:27am
Thread Board
my phone randomly puts BBQ in between words and sentences. It's so frustrating. I even erased the word BBQ from my clipboard and it still does it.
is this what happened?
If you're near Newport, RI
Board: State: Massachusetts
Jul 5, 2014 11:31am
Board
Hello MA Lboxers~ I placed this message in the Rhode Island board and thought I would post a copy of it here for anyone whose lives near by, thanks for reading:
the last week in September I will be doing a bus tour of 6 New England states in 8 days. Being on a guided tour, it's going to be difficult to box. But, I'm going to give it a try. With some help from fellow boxers in each state I may pull it off.
I do know we will be at The Breakers in Newport, RI for a day visit around the 25th. Who lives close by??.. raise your hand.
AQ mail me if you can lead a hand, & make your 'P' count go up at the same time. ~thanks
Who Let the Dogs Out? Update!
Board: State: Connecticut
Jul 5, 2014 11:57am
Board
Checked on these boxes and replaced the last one and a new logbook. We'll see how long Box #3 will last. I found can tabs, a knife, the shark stamp and the old log book in there.
I misplaced my water bottle along the trail and had to backtrack it again, so I must have put in quite a bit of mileage going back and forth. My feet are bushed!! But awesome day and so peaceful here.

Sally-O
Re: what is that stuff
Reply to: #856347 by Romana
Jul 5, 2014 12:19pm
Thread Board
Have you seen this Romana??

http://offbeathome.com/2014/06/weeping-angel-barbies

Very cool

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: what is that stuff
Reply to: #856360 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 5, 2014 12:38pm
Thread Board
Yes, that's what reminded me of the other stuff. I'd like to make them into collectible "porcelain" dolls...
personal traveler
Board: Personal Travelers
Jul 5, 2014 12:53pm
Thread Board
I couldn't find this in old threads.
I was thinking about making a personal travel and hiding it in one of those -hide a key-magnetic boxes. And hiding it under my car. The only way to get it is if you run into me on the trails or a meet up and have MY car with me. Sometimes we are in Mikes car. So this would have to be in my car only. Has this been done?
Surprise in the woods
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Jul 5, 2014 1:13pm
Thread Board
Have most people accidentally met another boxer in the woods, boxing?

I met someone for the first time, on a rarely-used trail. We had corresponded before, but it was a great surprise to finally meet the family. They had an idea I might be ahead, since I logged in before they arrived.

One of those boxes hadn't been logged for 3 years, until yesterday. I got to liberate 2 hitchhikers, one left there in 2010.
Favorite freezables?
Board: Food For Thought
Jul 5, 2014 1:20pm
Thread Board
I need to stock my freezer for these days when I'm too tired to chop and prep; or too busy. I'm working around allergies to corn (Anything with any kind of preservative usually has corn, including seasoning mixes and prepared sauces/salsas) gluten and dairy. There are a few others, but those are the basic ones.

Any great ideas that are focused on whole foods in their natural form? I miss being able to supplement everyone's diet with prepared foods. Just...sauces for flavor or rolls for a quick, easy starch.
First Kiss Box
Board: State: California
Jul 5, 2014 1:23pm
Board
I just wanted to let everyone know that my box "First Kiss" has come out of retirement. It is in the same park but the clues have changed so that it is now in an area without any poison oak. Come find it. :)
Woman to Blame
Reply to: #856348 by Romana
Jul 5, 2014 1:23pm
Thread Board
Funny also that it's someone in NH! It ain't me - I ain't selling my copy. It's even signed by the author!