Search

Read Messages

Re: Hide a Gnome
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #854083 by Wry Me
Jun 21, 2014 4:57pm
Thread Board
But don't look away. Just in case.

For those "Doctor Who" fans out there, here are some things to think about gnomes:

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Reply to: #854092 by airstream dreams
Jun 21, 2014 5:00pm
Thread Board
So I went to the page to read your clue and the tree picture is AWESOME

Wow! That is a neat tree. I may just have to find a tree like that to use as a reference point for a letterbox.
Giraffes
Board: tell me something i dont know
Jun 21, 2014 5:40pm
Board
Giraffes and humans have the same number of bones in their necks. Theres are of course much bigger!
Interesting facts about Sharks
Board: tell me something i dont know
Jun 21, 2014 5:42pm
Board
This is a good one to remember for where I am from here in Hawaii!!! Cows kill more people than Sharks. About 10 humans are killed by Sharks every year but nearly 100 people die each year from being stepped on by cows.
Umm where's the bathroom?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Jun 21, 2014 5:54pm
Thread Board
Does anybody know where the bathroom is in
relation to site #221?
I tend to get up in the middle of the night
and I want to be prepared.

S~N~K
Reply to: #854102 by SeerMeesh
Jun 21, 2014 5:56pm
Thread Board
but didn't put it as an event box.

It is not supposed to be an event box. It is a traditional, but the name of the box should say Gnome Day 2014: ___________

The whole day (Gnome Day 2014) is an event, a virtual event.
Reply to: #854102 by SeerMeesh
Jun 21, 2014 6:07pm
Thread Board
It's an online "event" in which people physically planted traditional boxes....follow the clues to location. So you can change the listing to traditional.
Re: Umm where's the bathroom?
Reply to: #854116 by Sits N Knits
Jun 21, 2014 6:19pm
Thread Board
I cant find an online map, but if I remember right, it is a bit of a walk from there. 5 min or so?
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #853824 by The Wolf Family
Jun 21, 2014 6:22pm
Thread Board
well that's good that you do that, how kind to surprise people on their special days.
Reply to: #854123 by The Vs
Jun 21, 2014 6:28pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #854116 by Sits N Knits
Jun 21, 2014 6:39pm
Thread Board
We stayed at campsite 223 last year. It was definitely a 5 minute walk to the bathroom. Here's a map. There are two bathrooms you can get to. One by the paved road and the other way is a short cut off a beaten path. It's uphill but quicker. We didn't discover it until after the third day. If nothing else there's always the great outdoors. Have a fantastic time, wishing I could be there again!!
Re: Pet hedgehog?
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #854094 by Hehehehehe
Jun 21, 2014 6:39pm
Thread Board
So cute! We have a summer cottage in the Åland Islands and we used to feed hedgehogs. They were wild and came each evening at dusk. They loved sardines and got very used to us peering over the deck at them. I actually used non toxic acrylic paint one Summer to identify them. I used a soft branch dipped in paint, all different colors on 8 different hedgehogs, applied gently to their backs. It lasted 3 yrs. Would liked to have tamed them a bit more...
Reply to: #854085 by MBPhenomenon
Jun 21, 2014 6:57pm
Thread Board
I've been contemplating getting a pet hedgehog too!!! I love them. A friend of mine has a friend with a hedgehog with his own Facebook page... so every time my friend likes a photo of him, it shows up in my newsfeed. Unfortunately, they like a warmer temp than I prefer to keep my house.... and a warmer temp than my guinea pig likes!! So I guess I'll keep admiring from afar..... :)
Re: Boxing in the UP
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #854039 by Twitterpated 2000
Jun 21, 2014 7:10pm
Thread Board
Hi Twitterpated 2000,

You really can't go wrong finding any of the boxes in those areas...they are just great and you'll enjoy the hunt, location, and carves.

I did a bit of boxing the two summers around some of the areas you mentioned. Some memorable boxes were the following (although they may not quite be in the areas where you will travel):
A HANDY MAP
CUT RIVER BRIDGE
ROUND ISLAND POINT (3 different boxes)
HAUNTED NO MORE #14
Anything on Mackinac Island because of where they take you; it all depends on how much hiking you want to do or if you want to stay on the main road. LbNA have many active boxes on the island.
Re: Unidentified HH
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #854096 by crosscresent
Jun 21, 2014 7:11pm
Thread Board
It looks kind of like a caterpillar
Jun 21, 2014 7:13pm
Thread Board
We had one at the zoo where my now grown daughter volunteered with me. She fell in love with it & we had to have one. Ended up she got allergic to it--couldn't even get around the bedding. Guess who had to do all the clean-up. Then--I got allergic to it if I got stuck. He was cute, but what a nightmare.
Reply to: #853727 by oceanwinds
Jun 21, 2014 7:22pm
Thread Board
Are there any Eevil Gnome boxes?
Re: Unidentified HH
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #854084 by MoBoFo
Jun 21, 2014 7:34pm
Thread Board
It does look like a dinosaur's or dragon's tail....
Gnomes
Board: State: Maine
Jun 21, 2014 7:37pm
Board
Several found a home here in Maine. Sweet!!
Reply to: #854142 by Wronghat
Jun 21, 2014 7:48pm
Thread Board
I hope not! Eevil should leave those cute little Gnomes alone.
Reply to: #854097 by crosscresent
Jun 21, 2014 7:53pm
Thread Board
I can't wait to start hunting Gnomes either! I do a little happy dance everytime another one close to us comes up in the search and my daughter just laughs at me. :) It takes so little to make me happy lol
Reply to: #854146 by oceanwinds
Jun 21, 2014 7:59pm
Thread Board
Agree! There has been quite enough nasty CUTENESS created by eevil already! That was one wicked plot!
Jun 21, 2014 8:38pm
Thread Board
Ahhh eevil would not be interested in gnome business,
mmm
Board: State: Maine
Jun 21, 2014 8:44pm
Thread Board
You can't beat a letterbox with ice cream inside!
Reply to: #854148 by The Wolf Family
Jun 21, 2014 8:48pm
Thread Board
That one was pretty easy to solve, pretty tough to find since it went missing.
Jun 21, 2014 8:52pm
Thread Board
Any eevil gnome boxes? IDK, ask wolfie , she keeps up with all things eevil. She will know!
Reply to: #854161 by airstream dreams
Jun 21, 2014 9:02pm
Thread Board
Any eevil gnome boxes? ask wolfie , she keeps up with all things eevil. She will know!

Well, I definitely try to! But really, it's pretty easy to just check Eevil's logbook to see what is listed:
http://www.atlasquest.com/people/logbook.html?memberId=63558

The Eevil boxes are all listed: Summer of Eevil or The Friday Thirteen.

The Gnome boxes are all listed as Gnome Day 2014. I did a search on that and it appears that there are 3 listed in NC, but I couldn't get the search to filter to just those 3 for some reason. Pretty cool that there are 3, though.
My heart is all a flutter!!!
Jun 21, 2014 9:06pm
Thread Board
All of these gnomes, make me so happy especially after such trying times I've been having!!! Thank you all, so much, for participating and planting gnomes all over. The world is a happier place because of all your wonderful gnomes!!!
Visiting next month, looking for recommendations
Board: State: Colorado
Jun 21, 2014 9:09pm
Thread Board
Hi all!
We will be visiting next month and I am overwhelmed by all the possibilities in Colorado! This is why I would rather just live there!

We are looking at coming the end of July. I have a few places near CO Springs picked out already.
(Garden Of the Gods, Dino Resource Center, Florissant Fossil beds, Pikes Peak, Serenity Springs Wildlife Center, Mueller SP) Golden is on our list as we love the RR museum.

We are hoping to find some waterfalls and do some easier hiking with the littler ones.

We have done Rocky Mountain NP. We don't mind going back, but are there other places with nice trails, easier hikes with waterfalls, and nice camp grounds? Yes it is important we see waterfalls, as we have no natural ones here in Texas. :( I am looking at the National Forests, State Parks and Rocky Mountain to camp in. We would prefer to stay in the CO Springs/ Estes Park region. Any recommendations?

Letterboxing is not our #1 goal, but we would like to find a few boxes while we are there. Goal is family vacation, outdoors, waterfalls, and maybe see a bear or other wildlife! (Hubby is not too keen on lb, but he will tolerate it a little ;)

Thanks for all your help! Locals know all the secret spots I would never think to look for. :D
Jun 21, 2014 9:12pm
Thread Board
Oh my gosh, sign me up. I want one. They are so cute! Probably illegal in CA though, along with ferrets and gerbils.

sun7flour