A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Floating and/or Underwater Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #843491 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 27, 2014 10:12am
Thread Board
You had to nonchalantly (with absolutely no cover) sit by the stream and diddle your hand into the water searching for the correct penny, all the while dodging the suspicions of the overly-aggressive mall security.

Hehehehe... I love it.
Re: Happy AQversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #843476 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 27, 2014 10:25am
Thread Board
Happy Cake Day!!
How long before first find?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 27, 2014 10:31am
Thread Board
Last July, my Brownie troop carved a stamp, found a series of letterboxes and created and planted a letterbox in a state park. Although there have been numerous clue hits, to date, no one has logged finding the box. I hope to be able to check on it this week and hope that there have been some finds that weren't logged. The scouts keep asking me if it has been found yet and are disappointed when I tell them no. I would love to take them back out to check on it and see the log book but want there to be some activity first.
What it the normal length of time before a letterbox is found? The series of 3 boxes we found is in the same state park and I didn't think that we offended the owner of those by planting another one in the same park. I needed to be able to complete the Letterboxing badge requirements all in one location without transporting the troop. Is there any way to increase activity or interest in a box?
Re: How long before first find?
Reply to: #843495 by Crazy 4 Horses 3
Apr 27, 2014 10:41am
Thread Board
Much depends on where you are located. About where are you located?
You could make it a letterbox-geocache hybrid which would get the more numerous geocachers out finding the box. To do that you need to get gps coordinates and list it on geocaching.com. To get coordinates,I use google maps, find my box location when zoomed as close as possible, right click, and hit what's here.
Apr 27, 2014 10:44am
Thread Board
I've come across a lot of letterboxes in my area especially that had no online logs on them. Thinking I'd be first finder (even on a series that's a year old) just to find that I'm not FF at all. Are there finds on other boxes in the area? And you won't/shouldn't offend another planter if you plant in the same park, just as long as you don't plant on top of their box or use their box in your clues as reference without their permission. But you can always say "be sure to look for other boxes in the park" type mention.
Re: Gone Missing - Of Mice and Men - The Series: MM2
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #843488 by BEBO BEAR
Apr 27, 2014 10:46am
Thread Board
So sorry to hear. Sounds like it was a cool box!
Suposed to get really nasty weather!
Board: State: Tennessee
Apr 27, 2014 10:49am
Thread Board
Hope we get through it Ok! The sirens go off and there's nothing, we have a tornado seemingly rip through our backyard and nothing. No wonder nobody flinches when the sirens start going off. My Step-Dad even turns off the hearing aid!
Re: Best Glue?
Reply to: #843433 by Angel Winks
Apr 27, 2014 10:51am
Thread Board
Thanks for the help. Liquid Nails it is!
Re: With great sadness....
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #843464 by RDHG
Apr 27, 2014 10:53am
Thread Board
Yeah, I thought the series was going downhill. Each season was getting a little bit too far away from how it was in the beginning. More slapsticky, less detectivy. But the final show was great!
Muddy boxing in Maine
Board: State: Maine
Apr 27, 2014 11:02am
Thread Board
Since we are due to have rain off and on all week, I just had to suck it up and trek out in search of some boxes. My useless cell phone was charged and most importantly my log book was in a zip lock bag. 95 North and when I reached my destination, realized I had been there before. The area was familiar but the clue didn't seem to be so I hoped for the best and found a pair of boxes that shortened my list by one. Don't think I had any carves by this planter so that was fun. There was some serious mud and muck but the woods were quiet except for the sound of raindrops and birds. Peaceful...

Headed off to find the 'drive-by' Riiiight.... I worked and reworked the clue without success. Time was running short and I was wet so headed back to the car to dry off a bit and have some water. Yes, the water was in my backpack.

Hating to give up on something so obvious, I decided to try once more and as soon as I slammed the car door, realized my keys were in the ignition. The person who frequently carries my spare wasn't with me so I pulled out my useless cell and dialed 411-got a friggin' commercial while I waited for the operator (?) to connect me to AAA.

I parked my butt on a bench since I had a 45 minute wait in the drizzle for assistance. Yes, I had an umbrella in my backpack but I'm already wet. Watched folks go by and decided to whip out my compass and take the readings again while I waited. Let me tell you, to the untrained eye, there isn't much difference between a baseball field and a softball field.

Assistance arrived in very short order so I still had time to easily get the stubborn box. Wahoo!!
Had fun overall, but I have decided to not to trust my lovely, new purple compass that says Royal Crown on the strap.

Teacup
hey thanks!
Board: State: Minnesota
Apr 27, 2014 11:06am
Thread Board
Thanks to Tie Dye Sue, hartwolfzell and Linden Leaf for checking on the boxes up at Sand Dunes! it's great to know so many are alive and doing well!

cheers!
E.N.
Tracker still has tons of openings
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Apr 27, 2014 11:07am
Board
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=7588

If anyone doesn't know about Percy Jackson, it's a great book series that has been made into movies and graphic novels. It's about a Demi god named Percy Jackson. He's a kid in a modern world going through Greek battles. It's fun and entertaining, Lots of great things to carve! Any level of carving is welcome, as Super Gav is only 8. (granted, I will be helping his carve along. LOL)
Re: MysticzGal it's your day!!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #843486 by Public Hand
Apr 27, 2014 11:17am
Thread Board
Thank you! It has been a crazy school year, so I feel like I have been out of boxing more than I want to be. One more month till I can start back up again. :) I might finish a carve today to celebrate 4 years.
Apr 27, 2014 11:30am
Thread Board
As has been said, a lot depends on where the box is hidden. How active is the letterboxing community where you are located? Where I am, it was totally dead when I started planting, and it took over a year for my first finder.

If there is an active letterboxing community, another thing to consider is the stamp. Did you use a hand-carved or store-bought stamp? Some boxers will not bother looking for anything other than hand-carved stamps.
Re: Catskills Hike in September
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #843430 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 27, 2014 11:33am
Thread Board
As most have stated, the "rocks & streams" hike is less than 9 miles (and absolutely bring bug spray). If you're reasonably fit and go at a steady pace, estimate 6-7 hours (with several stops to admire the view, eat lunch, etc. included in that estimate). Please make sure that you have solved all of the clues before attempting though. It's always heartbreaking to hear stories of the boxes being tampered with because boxers hadn't solved the clues/keys & pried or forced the boxes open. :(

If you're aiming for a different hike, I might be interested -- really just depends on the weekend you plan to visit. Keep the NY Boards posted and I'm sure that you'll have several hiking mates to accompany you on your quest ;)

- Kham
Apr 27, 2014 12:12pm
Thread Board
I just started about a year and a half ago, but I planted my first box after a couple of months. I waited and waited,and then after about 3 months 2 people logged their find. I went to check on the box for another reason and found about a dozen stamps in the log. They just hadn't logged their finding of my box on Atlasquest.
Probably not what I thought it was
Board: State: Ohio
Apr 27, 2014 12:27pm
Thread Board
I saw a bumper sticker today that had the initials MHD. My thought progression was...

Mama Huntin Dog!
She doesn't live near here.
Why is she at my Kroger?
Hey...there's another sticker right above it that says PIB. Wonder who that is?
Oh, that stands for Put-in-Bay.
So MHD probably doesn't stand for Mama Huntin Dog.
Rats.
What did I come to Kroger for?
pink stuff
Board: State: Massachusetts
Apr 27, 2014 12:28pm
Thread Board
For any of you in the Chelmsford area. The Chelmsford Micheals is now carrying the pink stuff. If you get a coupon for 40 or 50 % off it is great deal. Also micheals honers all compaters coupons.
Re: Probably not what I thought it was
Reply to: #843512 by Mn8X
Apr 27, 2014 12:33pm
Thread Board
I can tell you time is not the fixer of this problem Stacey.

Sandy
Apr 27, 2014 12:52pm
Thread Board
Where do you have the boxes listed? I don't see any plants on your profile, just some finds.
Re: modified Speedball nibs
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #843487 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 27, 2014 1:07pm
Thread Board
Or maybe a .5V is a 1 that has been pinched into a tighter v and a .5L is a 1 that has been ground down to approximately 1/2 the original length but is not a tighter v and then a .5VL would be both tighter v and shorter length?
Relay For Life
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 27, 2014 1:12pm
Thread Board
Many of you don't know, my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2013, showing us that cancer can strike anyone. This year we're fighting back by participating in Relay For Life. Relay is a 24 hour event, one team member must be walking every minute of the 24 hours.

Currently I'm asking for donations, any amount would help! You can donate a luminaria for a loved one currently fighting the battle or for someone you've lost.

Our team is also doing a raffle at the event & we could use raffle items. A few people are sending me journals (because anyone can find a use for a journal) but if you wanted to send something rather than donate cash that would work as well.

Please take a moment to consider donating here http://main.acsevents.org/goto/RebekahDespres

Thank you very much!
Reply to: #843512 by Mn8X
Apr 27, 2014 1:33pm
Thread Board
Funny I have seen it too. I got up real close and if I remember right it was for Marblehead.
Re: Relay For Life
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #843517 by Littlemonkey
Apr 27, 2014 1:34pm
Thread Board
Hi Littlemonkey,
I happen to have a Relay for Life stamp. Just a plain carve of the logo. Let me know if you'd like me to pass it along to you. I used it as a PT that I gave to a few lbers who supported our Relay for Life fundraiser a couple of years ago. Good cause and event.

roo (Barbara)
who is also from MA
Reply to: #843510 by Procyon
Apr 27, 2014 1:34pm
Thread Board
I waited and waited,and then after about 3 months 2 people logged their find. I went to check on the box for another reason and found astamps, a dozen stamps in the log.

There is a letterbox (not mine) in downtown Ogden, Utah that I checked on a few weeks ago. Less than half of the stamps in the log have been logged online.

There is another letterbox (also not mine) on a trail that is almost an urban trail. (It is on a hillside too steep for houses, but I've seen houses built in insane places.). There is a geocache within 25 feet of it, so when I went to find the geocache I also checked on the box (that I had found the previous year). Most of the logs were from geocachers because the letterbox is much easier to find. There were even three kids that logged with store-bought stamps, and there was no adult supervision evident but two of the three were scouts.

Both these stories illustrate that you don't have all finds logged online.
Reply to: #843519 by jeeves
Apr 27, 2014 1:41pm
Thread Board
I looked when I walked by it, but it didn't have anything other than MHD. Marblehead would make sense.
Reply to: #843521 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 27, 2014 1:59pm
Thread Board
If you live in an area where there are only a few letterboxers, just AQ mail them and specifically ask them to go out and look for the box. As said before, if it is a store-bought stamp, a lot of people will skip it. However, if you ask nicely and explain how it needs to be found for the Letterboxing badge requirement, I am sure folks will be happy to help out! Or post about it on your state board and ask folks to go out for the box.
That being said, I had a box hidden (It was a mystery box) and it did not get a finder for 5 years!! I was sure it was missing and never to be found, when someone logged it!! Then again some boxes get found the very next day after they are planted. It all depends on how busy with letterboxers your area is and/or what kind of clue you have (my clue was obviously too hard for the majority of folks!!)

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Muddy boxing in Maine
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #843503 by Teacup
Apr 27, 2014 1:59pm
Thread Board
Calling a PE teacher might have helped with the field differentials but not the keys! Lol!
Reply to: #843521 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 27, 2014 2:03pm
Thread Board
I have one that took 5 months, even though I live in an area with boxers abounding.
Reply to: #843525 by Sunia
Apr 27, 2014 2:11pm
Thread Board
But you also had one that was found within 24 hours by two different boxers! :)