A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Found damaged letterbox HY5
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #842552 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 21, 2014 11:40pm
Thread Board
Thanks; Kelsung beat us to it: http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=842524;gThreadId=121869

I suspect the Indiana boxers all went to sleep early so they can get up at dawn and go boxing. ;-)
Re: Teaching HS'er to write formally
Board: Homeschooling
Reply to: #842530 by Uncorny Acorns
Apr 22, 2014 12:17am
Thread Board
What if you turned it into a creative writing assignment. Have her emulate a different character when writing her answers. How would she answer if she was a stodgy old lady? How would she answer if she was a know-it-all lawyer? Pick a character in a book she has read and try to answer using that person's voice instead of her own. If nothing else, it could make the assignments more fun.
sun7flour
Re: Stamp Material Listing
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #842551 by Kirbert
Apr 22, 2014 12:26am
Thread Board
That's just delving into too much detail. What carving tools do they use? What transfer method? If you want to know, you can just ask the planter.

I think AQ already focuses too much on the art of the stamp, and not enough on the art of selecting an interesting location, the art of hiding a box well, and the art of writing an actual clue.

K
Re: Stamp Material Listing
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #842556 by Kelsung
Apr 22, 2014 1:05am
Thread Board
That's just delving into too much detail. What carving tools do they use? What transfer method?

What color underwear were you wearing when you carved on this material? Did this affect your mood or planting habits? Do you write your clues in the first or third person? Animal, vegetable or ledgible? You crack me up, Kel! ;)

Look up box info. Go to location. Move legs and find hidden treasures. Smile.

Its called "The Joy Of Boxing". Try it!! ;)
Re: Hitchhikers anyone?
Board: Stamp Swap
Reply to: #842312 by Teacup
Apr 22, 2014 2:43am
Thread Board
Whoa, thanks for the interest. I think I can manage to send everyone a couple. I will be in touch. Thank you.
teacup
Get "Summer in Winter" while you can!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Apr 22, 2014 3:58am
Board
I planted the snow-friendly Summer in Winter: Part 1 and Summer in Winter: Part 2 series 2.5 years ago, and they're now requiring more maintenance than I'm willing to give. The wires from which they're hanging have become brittle and are breaking, so some of the film canisters are on the ground. As a result, I plan to pull and permanently retire both series by June 21, the first day of summer. So if you want to get them, now's the time!
Re: Former LTC stamps for an event
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #842247 by Tivoli West
Apr 22, 2014 4:13am
Thread Board
- If you're carrying them with you to an event, they could be personal travelers. People have to come and ask you for them.
- If they relate to the event, they could be clued or left on a table-top and listed as an event stamp.
- If you want to hide them at the event and share clues, they could be a limited-time traditional stamp - but be sure to retire them when the event is over.
Re: Internet
Board: Computers, iPods, and Other Electronics
Reply to: #842300 by FloridaFour
Apr 22, 2014 5:34am
Thread Board
Turn out, I know nothing when it comes to the Internet. I've been using aol as my sign on or (homepage?). The guy from the computer store said to stop doing that. Go straight to firefox. I need a new email address so I'm trying to figure out the safest way to go with that. I may still have a key logger thing going on which would explain the problems with my pass words and security questions.

Any advice would be helpful. Norton checks out for virus protection so we will stay with that till it expires.

Aol, will be going away! Just need a safe email provider. Any advice?
Re: Any one ever use this ink?
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #842503 by Raven
Apr 22, 2014 6:01am
Thread Board
I have one of those but I haven't tried it yet. They are primarily for stamping on fabric and permanent when heat set. It's really juicy and the color is vivid. I bet it would emboss well...I think I'll give that a try soon...
Event Boxes
Board: Event News and Planning
Apr 22, 2014 6:09am
Thread Board
Hi All! I'm wondering if anyone would have any American history/nautical/military themed event boxes that you would be willing to send to Maine for the Tour the Fort event on 5/24/14? I already did a search through the traveling/tabletop event box listings and requested some individually, but only heard back from two people.

I can get the event boxes sent back to owners within 10 days of the event, unless needed sooner.

Thanks!

Jiffy
Re: Found damaged letterbox HY5
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #842553 by Summerfun
Apr 22, 2014 6:11am
Thread Board
I live in Indiana but nowhere near that area so I didn't say anything.
Re: A first!
Board: Postcrossing, not Cross-posting!
Reply to: #842268 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 22, 2014 7:04am
Thread Board
27 days to get to you? Wow!

I haven't sent a card in a while. I need to get a few out there!
HAPPIEST AQversary to the lil bald guy and Betty!!!
Board: Region: Northeast
Apr 22, 2014 7:26am
Thread Board
to the bestest boxing buddies ever! to the person who blogs more than me! to his long-suffering wife and his best friend!

May all your trails be smooth (and lead to NC)!! May all your carves be flawless (and some get planted in NC)!! May your finds be many (and happen in NC)!!

~tigs (i miss you guys)
Re: A first!
Board: Postcrossing, not Cross-posting!
Reply to: #842577 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 22, 2014 7:27am
Thread Board
I can't believe you are actually posting on AQ... LOL Hey Amy!
Re: HAPPIEST AQversary to the lil bald guy and Betty!!!
Reply to: #842580 by tiggermama
Apr 22, 2014 7:47am
Thread Board
Thanks Tigs!!! We have met so many great people and made many new friends in the past 3 years!!

Hopefully our adventures will lead us to your part of the world ;)
Reply to: #842582 by Betty Boop3
Apr 22, 2014 8:00am
Thread Board
WOW - Only three years, yet almost three THOUSAND finds!!! ;o)

We better step up our game if we intend to keep up with you young whippersnappers. Congrats to you Mrs Boop (and your thong-claddened forest frolicking hubby too)! Hope you both have fun today,

Pete
Re: New Event in Chula Vista CA
Reply to: #842549 by Summerfun
Apr 22, 2014 8:58am
Thread Board
the California board

I'd recommend the Arizona Board as well......
Re: A General Surprise of the Civil War
Board: History is Alive
Reply to: #842571 by DS
Apr 22, 2014 8:58am
Thread Board
A significant part of admission into West Point is (was) based on receiving a nomination, usually from a congressman. I know today that each congressman gets an allotment, so the cadet's origin will be more/less proportional to the states' populations. (Can any of you West Pointers add to/correct my understanding of admission?) So your assumption that that there were more northern cadets than southern cadets is correct as the North's population was double that of the South's.

I just found the following: By May 1861, most of the Southern cadets were gone. Out of a total Corps of 278, there were 86 Southerners, of whom 65 resigned. The new superintendent, Major Bowman, noted that the remaining 21 were discontented, restless, and neglecting their studies-but, for that matter, so were the Yankees, the excitement being what it was.

That calculates to 31% of these cadets being Southerners, as compared to 22% of all graduates who found for the South. So the disparity was not that great. Thanks for the comment.

Old Blue
Re: Arizona / Nevada
Reply to: #841010 by SnakeDoctor
Apr 22, 2014 9:01am
Thread Board
i could be convinced to drive the RV over.

deniserows
in a Gulfstream
Re: Event Boxes
Reply to: #842569 by Jiffy
Apr 22, 2014 9:19am
Thread Board
I might have something!
Re: Any one ever use this ink?
Reply to: #842568 by Lovebirds-NC
Apr 22, 2014 9:22am
Thread Board
I have one of those but I haven't tried it yet. They are primarily for stamping on fabric and permanent when heat set. It's really juicy and the color is vivid. I bet it would emboss well...I think I'll give that a try soon...

I'd love to hear back when you do!
Happy Earth Day
Board: Yakking It Up
Apr 22, 2014 9:34am
Thread Board
“We need the tonic of wildness—to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk, and hear the booming of the snipe; to smell the whispering sedge where only some wilder and more solitary fowl builds her nest, and the mink crawls with its belly close to the ground. At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.” —Henry David Thoreau

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” —Jane Goodall

How have you made a difference to the planet this past year? Month? Week? Day? Hour?

Happy Earth Day.

--0--0--
....\/....
\_____/
Re: Bedford Forrest Sacks Fort Pillow
Board: History is Alive
Reply to: #842572 by DS
Apr 22, 2014 10:00am
Thread Board
... the winner of the war writes the history books.

If there was ever a war where this is not true, the Civil War is it. After the war, southern authors took up the cause and vigorously told their story and continued to do so for some 50 years. They clearly won the battle of the pen for at least 2 generations. There was no restriction of the press, like you would have found in post war Germany. The northern Radical Republicans were not ever popular after the war and most of the rest of the North, just wanted to move on. Lastly the vast majority of Civil War history books are, and have been, published at southern universities.

Regarding Forrest himself, I don't think he ordered "no quarter", but it was a half hour after the fort was overrun that he order a cease fire, a lot of slaughter had already occurred. Also on numerous previous occasion, Forrest had demanded a garrison to surrender or he could not be responsible for what his troops might do. He had said as much before Fort Pillow was attacked. The glaring fact is the disparity in the numbers dead and wounded as I previously discussed.

Old Blue
Reply to: #842583 by The Merry Pranksters
Apr 22, 2014 10:52am
Thread Board
Thanks Pete,

I have to be responsible and work today ......sigh......we are planning on boxing this weekend though. I carved a stamp yesterday and we did maintenance on one of our series and scoped out a trail for future plants......so I guess I cannot complain

Happy Spring everyone!
boxin along a route
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 22, 2014 10:56am
Thread Board
Is there a way to find what boxes are within 5 m. of a highway when traveling? seems like a remember a way but can't find it again
Re: boxin along a route
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #842614 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Apr 22, 2014 11:02am
Thread Board
Look up a Simple Search and at the bottom is a search box by route. Just pull down the route until you find your number, then choose beginning and ending destination. Viola!
Using a hot knife to carve
Apr 22, 2014 11:44am
Thread Board
Has anyone ever tried using a hot knife or similar tool to carve stamps? I know you can carve some types of foam with them. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?
size of LTC trackers
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Apr 22, 2014 11:45am
Thread Board
I was just browsing the available LTC trackers and noticed a lot more of them seem to be smaller group sizes. Meaning requested number was only 10 or 15 cards. I personally love the 12-15 member size because I can spend more time per card, and still feel like making a few extras for personal trades.

I was wondering of this was the reason most people are going for smaller swaps, or if it was because of increased postage. I have noticed, adding any metal embellishments (even just a few brads) brings the postage over 5 stamps. Using heavier duty tape instead of the cheap thin stuff, and using 2 plastic bags to spread cards out more also added weight. Probably it was the combination of all 3 that brought my last package over 5 stamps. (And then my postal worker didn't even look at thickness anyway).

I know we have beaten the postage question to death, so I don't really want to rehash that, but just curious if the smaller tracker size is becoming more popular. I know several people last year indicated they liked larger swaps of 20 to 27 cards....
Re: The Tooth Bunny?
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #842523 by Silva Foot Family
Apr 22, 2014 11:48am
Thread Board
He figured out Santa because at age 6 recognised my handwriting.

Santa never writes anything in our house. Santa stopped wrapping things when my son was 3 and he recognized that Santa used the same paper that we used the previous year! So now Santa presents are unwrapped and unlabeled. The kids know whose they are based on which stocking is sitting on top of each Santa pile.

Not that it matters much. My son is an adult so obviously he knows. My daughter has it figured out but she still wants to believe so we let her. Last year, we were watching A Christmas Story and the 2 boys run upstairs and you can hear their footsteps and slamming doors, then the parents say, "Ok let's get them." We had seen this movie many times before but it was the first time daughter caught this particular line in the movie. She turned to me and said, "Let's get what?" I looked at her and after thinking it over I asked, "Do you really want to know?" Without hesitation, daughter said loudly, "NOPE!" and changed the subject. She knew in her mind that the parents meant they were getting the Santa presents but her heart didn't want to hear it out loud.
Re: Arizona / Nevada
Reply to: #842591 by deniserows
Apr 22, 2014 11:50am
Thread Board
You should come!!! Weather is wonderful here in November!!! :)