A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Favorite Thread?
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #822863 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 8, 2014 9:17pm
Thread Board
You may have already found this option, but if you click on the top right tab "My Page", then choose "My Profile", then click on "View Recent Posts" it will bring up all the messages you've posted and then you can look at the thread... perhaps you can keep an eye on it that way... that's the easiest way I've found to keep track.
Re: how many LTCs to make?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #824232 by Lovebirds-NC
Jan 8, 2014 9:32pm
Thread Board
That all makes sense. I only have 4 swaps going right now. Two of them are smaller because I thought that maybe people didn't have time to put into making 20-30 cards. But it seems as though the bigger issues are that you are not wanting to use up your stamping material and postage.
NEED TO VENT
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Jan 8, 2014 10:33pm
Thread Board
ever since I moved to north Carolina, weird things keep happening. Some I'm ok with, others, not so much.

People want to pay it forward- Awesome!!! I am humbled by the generosity of the 5 random people that in the last 2 months have paid for mine and my sons things in a drive thru.

New Years Eve celebrations- To each his own - But some warning would have been nice! My son and I both got scared to death by all of these crazy rednecks shooting every gun they own and cannons for 45 minutes straight to the point were we spent the night in his room on the floor!

And now what has really set me off tonight and last Thursday morning at 1 am is the fact that here in Salisbury they think its perfectly acceptable to collect the trash and laugh and yell amongst themselves in my drive with thestupid flashing lights on for 10 minutes while they collect the trash!!!!!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

that's the end of my rant for right now :-) very tiredly going back to bed >¦^[
Re: Childrens Book
Reply to: #824316 by Hosmer's
Jan 8, 2014 10:39pm
Thread Board
I don't think books necessarily put boys down, I just think their interests and tendencies in play aren't supported by schools (like the way the AP at my son's school confiscated his book fair purchase about soldiers b/c it had a picture of a child soldier in Africa that bothered her. It was non-fiction and they sold it to him. Funny, that. But he has been fascinated by what another teacher dubbed "murder, maim, kill" -- she has boys at her house, too! -- and all things military and related to weapons since he was teeny. It's a valid interest that many of his peers share and which I doubt is correlated to violent tendencies in later life. He was constantly in trouble for making shooting noises and gestures and that carried over to what subjects he was allowed to read and study.) I can see how the illustrations can be sort of off-putting in some books. I, too, have gut reactions to some art. Lane Smith's style is, well, a little hyper and disharmonious. I also find it interesting that when an author is accepted for publication, s/he doesn't choose the illustrator. Well-established authors and those who work in collaboration are exceptions, of course, but that explained why Cynthia Rylant's books all sound like her, but the pictures all give a different feel, as they're done by different artists. There are no off-limits books in my classroom, nor do I encourage/discourage or suggest books based on gender. But I have yet to see a girl as interested in the Captain Underpants stories as all the boys were! (Except me, of course. I thought they were hilarious.) I could talk books all day long with kids and presumably grown-ups. :)
Re: What are the best carving tools available for fine lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #824309 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 8, 2014 11:30pm
Thread Board
I think the angle is about the same...

The package says 45°, just scaling off one of those photos, that seems about right. I just measured a Staedtler, and it appears to be 45° as well, so yeah, they're the same.

...the very end of the tip (where you carve) is smaller.

I make tips smaller all the time. My specialty.

I can make the angle of the cutting face -- leaning forward, leaning back, whatever -- anything you wish. It's not easy to compare tools like these, though, because it's not just the angle of the cutting face relative to the metal immediately behind it that matters. The way you hold the tool comes into play there, and a Flexcut is held completely differently than a Staedtler. You guys who use Flexcuts can correct me on this, but the configuration seems ideal for holding the tool almost flat against the work -- something that's not particularly easy to do with a Staedtler or Speedball, they feel better lifted up a few degrees. The handle being held high tends to result in the upper corners of the cutting edge leaning out over the work and blocking your view. That's why the reversed modification is popular. But to emulate the way this Flexcut cuts, it might make sense to change the angle of the cutting face just a little bit rather than all the way to a reversed.

In any case, I can modify a basic Speedball #1 nib to any size and any face angle desired. The one thing I cannot do is make the crease in the metal itself at the bottom of the V any sharper, and the crispness of that crease is key to being able to cut hair-thin slivers out of the surface of a stamp. The Speedball nibs, unfortunately, aren't all that crisp at the crease; under magnification, they almost look like U gouges. The Staedtlers were very crisp indeed, that's why they were so good -- but they are NLA. That's why I always wanna know how crisp the fold is at the bottom of a woodcutting tool. I can change everything else, but I need a nice, crisp corner at the bottom of a V to work with.
Reply to: #824318 by Linden Leaf
Jan 9, 2014 2:33am
Thread Board
But it seems as though the bigger issues are that you are not wanting to use up your stamping material and postage.

When I'm hosting, my max signups are usually 12-15, because I don't like making a lot of cards. But since I end up planting almost all of the stamps I carve for LTCs, I don't mind using my pink stuff stash for smaller swaps. As far as postage, at this point, I don't mind spending a few bucks to get a smaller set of cards, but I'd think twice if money were tight.
Re: NEED TO VENT
Reply to: #824320 by Cape Cod Cam
Jan 9, 2014 2:50am
Thread Board
Thursday morning at 1 am

You can call the company about that

every gun they own and cannons for 45 minutes

Call the police about that
Reply to: #824318 by Linden Leaf
Jan 9, 2014 4:05am
Thread Board
I'm not sure if this is another factor at play but I've noticed a drop off in LTCs over the last year. Check out the statistics here We may not have enough folks involved to support larger swaps anymore:-( But I'm glad for new, enthusiastic people like you Linden Leaf!
Jan 9, 2014 4:20am
Thread Board
Moving to a new state, in a different region of the country, is always an adjustment. Seems each region has it's own idiosyncrasies and you'll adjust soon enough. Go ahead and vent though, it's part of the process. But I have to say, the gun thing is alarming! Be safe and best wishes.
Reply to: #824325 by Lovebirds-NC
Jan 9, 2014 4:22am
Thread Board
I'm not sure if this is another factor at play but I've noticed a drop off in LTCs over the last year.

Lovebirds, thank you for posting these statistics. I was thinking that there's been a drop, but I wasn't sure. One thing I found particularly interesting about the statistics was that some people use P- and F-count restrictions on their LTCs. I wonder why?
Re: Signature Stamp
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #824294 by Book Hoarder
Jan 9, 2014 4:24am
Thread Board
Agree! It's adorable!
Reply to: #824310 by Wry Me
Jan 9, 2014 4:24am
Thread Board
Ive never read that one, but by the sounds if it ill have to! Very intiresting points!
Reply to: #824316 by Hosmer's
Jan 9, 2014 4:28am
Thread Board
I do the same thing with kids books, if I like the art work I will usually pick it up and give it a read. I thing ive heard of that book before, another one ill have to check out!
Glad all is well
Board: Walking4Fun
Jan 9, 2014 4:30am
Thread Board
You really had me nervous there after not logging miles for an entire week. Glad to see you on the move again. Are you sandbagging? I'm wondering (worrying?) now that I'm a mere 6.3 miles behind you.

Ya know with the registry entries and a friendly fun competition this trail has been the most enjoyable of all the trails so far. Hopefully when I get to the PCT there will be some players there as well.
Reply to: #824321 by Wry Me
Jan 9, 2014 4:31am
Thread Board
"I also find it interesting that when an author is accepted for publication, s/he doesn't choose the illustrator." I didnt know that! I learn something new everyday!
Jan 9, 2014 4:48am
Thread Board
Where were you before? Red necks can be fun. But we are like any rowdy culture. First impressions. (I'm actually calm but I do own a 22. For catching dinner, tho)

I use to live in an apartment behind a Kroger.
Oh man. Just thinking about it. The garbage man came at 1am lifting a slamming 4 dumpsters. Not to mention the truck was dang loud. The wonderbread guy came at 5 am bumping glass rattling rap. And boy did he have a filthy mouth. I would lay in bed & I could hear every word. One day I walked over in my pajayjays & tore into him. Crazy hair, no bra, ect...
The cherry on the cool whip was the diesel fumes from the Kroger big rigs. I don't mind the sound of rigs at all. Weird I know. But deisel fumes make me throw up :(
I was newly married. He slept like a log. I was a maniac. I was "on noo sleep man!!!" We weren't married long.
That's ok. Lucky Mike is waaaayy hotter :)

~cc
Reply to: #824333 by crosscresent
Jan 9, 2014 4:59am
Thread Board
Where were you before? Red necks can be fun.

I'm from Massachusetts, and don't get me wrong, my daddy is a red neck, I have nothing against them at all. I had just got off a plane from Massachusetts, had the flu, and was not mentally prepared for.gun fire @ midnight... Had I been warned by landlord or my friend that lives 3 miles down the road.that it is tradition down here I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But gun fire when your not prepared makes ones mind go.crazy.. My landlord is an officer in my town and he said the next day when he came to get my rent that it happens ever year and its city wide.so they can't stop everyone.
Re: Glad all is well
Reply to: #824331 by BBStacker
Jan 9, 2014 5:32am
Thread Board
Glad to see you on the move again. Are you sandbagging? I'm wondering (worrying?) now that I'm a mere 6.3 miles behind you.

Oh, I noticed last night and left a note for you in the registry regarding it. I guess you just have to get there and see...
Reply to: #824261 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 9, 2014 5:44am
Thread Board
I had to take a tablespoon of vinegar for my potty mouth

Is that supposed to be a deterrent for bad language? I haven't heard of that before. But I LOVE vinegar, so it wouldn't work on me!!
Re: I need your help
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #824165 by JerseyTrailblazers
Jan 9, 2014 6:04am
Thread Board
Ok I read it twice. Eidolon...see if you can find the clue to a box in there some place! ;-)
Re: New Trail Name
Board: Postals
Reply to: #824290 by FORAYCH
Jan 9, 2014 6:13am
Thread Board
Thanks! I needed something that was more me. Especially since the kids are not interested in boxing anymore.
Re: New Trail Name
Board: Postals
Reply to: #824291 by The Lost Boys
Jan 9, 2014 6:14am
Thread Board
Thankfully I have no cats and the dog is to big to get squished under a pile of books. lol
Re: What are the best carving tools available for fine lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #824123 by Wry Me
Jan 9, 2014 6:22am
Thread Board
I noticed they had just the nib for a around $15, but I couldn't tell what type of handle accepted it.

This would be interesting to know. I looked around the website and couldn't even find the nib. Did you bookmark the page? Maybe someone (Kirbert?) can figure out the type of handle that it would fit in.....or if they sell the nibs separately maybe they sell a handle too so we can check out the attachment method?

Peace
CTEE
Re: Glad all is well
Reply to: #824336 by The Wolf Family
Jan 9, 2014 6:25am
Thread Board
I guess you just have to get there and see...

Oh, the anticipation is killing me.
Jan 9, 2014 6:36am
Thread Board
I'm a NY transplant in GA, but I've lived in several states across the country. Everyone has their quirks. NYers are rude. Californians are hippies. Southerners are rednecks. But really I've met all types, all places. I can't say I've ever had an annonomous person pay for my meal, so that's great. Our first year in GA, in an apartment complex, I was startled on new years by fireworks. It woke up my son and he started bawling. Needless to say, I was annoyed. Now a few years later, we act just like those fools and set off fireworks Forth of Joy, New Years, birthdays, and sometimes no reason at all. Our neighbors do it too. Lol. As for the trash, I would think their boss would want to know they are disturbing people and taking so long getting trash.

I hope you enjoy your new state and all its uniqueness soon!
Reply to: #824348 by Hosmer's
Jan 9, 2014 6:43am
Thread Board
I just went outside to bring my trash can back, and THEY WEREN'T EVEN MY TRASH GUYS!!!!!!! my can is still full!!! >¦^[
Re: More Pancakes Anyone?
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #824271 by MissMoon
Jan 9, 2014 6:46am
Thread Board
I can make you pancakes at my house any time MM. I am also glad you aren't moving to far away from your Bs from NY. oxox
Reply to: #824349 by Cape Cod Cam
Jan 9, 2014 6:53am
Thread Board
Next time that happens, step out on the porch with your 12 gauge and fire a warning shot in the air and yell "Keep it down!" .......That should do it.

AB
Jan 9, 2014 6:56am
Thread Board
I ran into the same problem when I first went away to college.

I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere. I'm literally related to everyone that lives on my road (and the road is named after my great grandparents no less). We tend to call anyone a neighbor that lives within a 3-5 mile radius of the farm. And until I left for college, I could tell you who was driving by the place by the sound of their vehicle (not kidding). While we don't shoot off our guns to ring in the new year, we can and do legally use them to protect the livestock from coyotes, foxes, etc.

Needless to say, moving to the "big" city to go to college was quite an adjustment. Ambulances driving by constantly at all hours of the night (the dorm was situated at the main intersection to turn off for the 2 biggest hospitals in the city). Garbage trucks arriving every day/other day at pre-dawn. Heck, even getting used to the added glow of street lights at night was difficult. Then the added joy of living in a tiny dorm room surrounded by hundreds of kids who don't respect the fact that you want some shut eye. I didn't sleep well for the first several months. Finally exhaustion kicked in and I learned to deal with it.

Kham (who is still considered a ridiculously light sleeper)
Reply to: #824321 by Wry Me
Jan 9, 2014 6:57am
Thread Board
I think schools do a lot of weird things. Kindergartners kissing is sexual harassment? Any fight is assault? I get the need to curb bullying, but I don't feel little kids need to be arrested. They need to be taught. I can't really say much though, because I homeschool. My older son has issues and would not do well in a typical school environment.

My boys can read what they want, as long as it's age appropriate. They have loved Dora just as much as Fly Guy. Non-fiction again has to be age appropriate, but I'd rather it be truthful than showing a sugar coated version of everything.

I'm probably just rambling at this point, so I'll stop. Lol.