A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809968 by connecticut croaker
Nov 4, 2013 4:38am
Thread Board
With acetone, you need to use a copier that uses toner. Also be sure to use 100% acetone, not regular nail polish remover. (it's in the same place at the store, just usually on a lower shelf)
Rub the image with your fingernail or the edge of a letter opener to get it to transfer better. Keep the paper wet (not puddled) before peeling away.
Re: Special song for the NC board
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #813984 by theseekers1108
Nov 4, 2013 4:45am
Thread Board
Good try.
Night Boxing Planting Tips
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Nov 4, 2013 5:04am
Thread Board
Does anyone have any tips/tricks for planting night boxes that they could share?
Box of the Month 2013:Bluebird (November)
Board: State: Connecticut
Nov 4, 2013 5:19am
Board
The latest contribution to the box of the month series is now in place. It is a beautiful carve by shooz of MI.
Re: I've become a Netflix addict!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #813968 by LuLaHe
Nov 4, 2013 5:20am
Thread Board
I would add Dexter and Medium (I am into "creepy")

I also ditched satellite/cable a few years ago and only have Netflix (and my computer) I love it for the documentaries. When you start watching movies, Netflix will ask you to rate them, then "they" use your queue history and your ratings to recommend movies to you. I have seen some awesome "off the radar" movies that way.

Some docs I would recommend: "Iron Willed (or Winged?) Angels" (Hillary Swank) about women's suffrage, "Paper Clips" about a Holocaust memorial in of all places Whitwell, TN, and "Butterflies of Telegraph Hill" off the top of my head.
Re: Night Boxing Planting Tips
Reply to: #813989 by nosox
Nov 4, 2013 5:21am
Thread Board
I recently found a box that contained a laser pointer and instructions to look for a tubular bracket on a nearby tree. When you put the pointer in the bracket it lead me to another tree and another bracket. This eventually lead to a tree with a SPOR.

PI Joe
Nov 4, 2013 5:22am
Thread Board
Don't plant them near yellow jacket nests! Those little buggers are active even at night. I learned that the hard and painful way.

Seriously, you could ask Tiggermama. She has done a few night boxing events.
Re: Thanks California Bluefrog for a fun event
Board: State: California
Reply to: #813938 by Grumpy Grinch
Nov 4, 2013 5:27am
Thread Board
that was my mothers birthday
Re: 30 Days of Dead - Free tunes & Fun Game
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #813627 by The Merry Pranksters
Nov 4, 2013 5:29am
Thread Board
Pete,

Thanks for the great tip and link. I just downloaded the first four days. Whoo hoo! You are always such a fantastic source for Grateful stuff going on. Thanks!

Sahalie
Nov 4, 2013 5:30am
Thread Board
I have been watching the entire thing of Psych. If you like the Mentalist you'll like Psych (its the funny version and came first)
Nov 4, 2013 5:36am
Thread Board
Orange is the New Black!!
Re: New box
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #813859 by DM Scuba Brat
Nov 4, 2013 5:41am
Thread Board
Oh goody!!!!

When you get ready to come to HoneyMoon Island, let me know!!!! I'm so there! I live 5 miles away! I will plant some there, too. (It's on my list)

Message me when you come, seriously. There are several geocaches there, and I know where they are, to avoid them. Such a pretty trail, good for treasure hiker points. (2 miles round trip)

There's eagle's nests and osprey nests in the trees, very cool. One trail is called Osprey trail. I can't remember the other (eagle?) This is the best area of the park to plant at. They also have a nature center, so that is a possibility. There's a geocache right under the nature center, so they would be open to hosting a letterbox in there, I am almost SURE of it. They told the geocacher specifically to plant by them and bring more people there.

Other animals there are gopher tortoises, armadilloes and many kinds of birds.

History of the park is kind of interesting, why they named it Honeymoon. But you can check that out.

Mosquito repellent needed at this park. I can vouch for that. But winter is a good time.
Reply to: #813993 by Colorful Caterpillars
Nov 4, 2013 5:43am
Thread Board
The Wolf Family taught me to use fire tacks, and there are certain ways to display them that mean different things. (Is there a guide?) People use flashlights to look for them in the dark.

We have since also used reflective tape.
Nov 4, 2013 5:43am
Thread Board
Buffy, Angel, X-Files, Any of the Star Trek Series (except Enterprise - blech), New Girl, The Fall, Once Upon a Time.

Jaxx
Reply to: #813999 by RDHG
Nov 4, 2013 5:58am
Thread Board
there are certain ways to display them that mean different things. (Is there a guide?)

There is one on the back of the LbSE tee shirts! *giggle*

But really you can just make up whatever you like -- one for straight straight, 2 for a turn, 3 for where the box is -- or some other variation.
Re: Thanks California Bluefrog for a fun event
Board: State: California
Reply to: #813938 by Grumpy Grinch
Nov 4, 2013 6:00am
Thread Board
CBF.. What a fun time! Thank you for all you did to make this special, loved the box of carves and event stamp!

Wendy
Re: Carves statistics
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #813825 by Kirbert
Nov 4, 2013 6:16am
Thread Board
How long should a donated carve be left out planted with few finds before pulling it and sending it back to owner, or would you prefer it moved to some where other than expected/preferred location for better chances of finds. Or what would you prefer have happen to it? Is it a likely experience to let a box sit with few finds for years and be okay with it? Allowing that the box is checked on every now and then to make sure it is still viable. What should an impatient host/planter expect, or worry about for owners satisfaction?

synopsis: want it back, want it moved, or shut up and let it ride?
Re: Unlisted box - Accidental find
Reply to: #813955 by nine_ca
Nov 4, 2013 6:18am
Thread Board
It's possible the person who hid the box deleted it from the databases. On the GC site you can archive a cache listing but you can't delete it. On AQ and LBNA you can delete the listing from the databases. Premium members of AQ can record an unlisted find for their personal online records. Non-PMs have to wait for a "Hat" Day (the banner changes to hat images).

From the help section:

"A few times each year, this premium member feature is opened for non-premium members to take advantage of. These days are variously called Free Listing Day or Hat Day since a theme featuring many of the premium member hats shows up on designated dates. What dates? It's random-it could happen on any day...."
Reply to: #814008 by Okie Dog
Nov 4, 2013 6:18am
Thread Board
I can't really think of any box of mine that doesn't sit with a few finds, except for ones planted for events. I imagine it's different in CT/MA, but around here there's the norm.
Reply to: #814011 by Aiphid
Nov 4, 2013 6:26am
Thread Board
Oh, and you don't worry about this if its been a (example) couple of years with no other finds?
Nov 4, 2013 6:30am
Thread Board
Depends on what type of night boxing you are referring to... are they temporary for the end of an event? Or will they be on a trail and more permanent... as each requires different techniques.

Temporary boxes are easier to use reflective tape on the boxes themselves - with it on two sides in case the folks put it down 'wrong side up.'

Permanent plants using fire tacks - make sure your tacks are large enough to see, free from most obstacles and that there aren't other fire tacks near by (ATV/Snowmobile tacks) that can skew your tracker.
Reply to: #814010 by Lone R
Nov 4, 2013 6:32am
Thread Board
As this is a good site for a letterbox I hope someone reads this post and adopts the box. [ Is there a better spot to post this idea ?] I am not from the area . nor expect to be back there.
Thanks for the answers; happy hunting
Nov 4, 2013 6:33am
Thread Board
We did black duct tape pouches with reflective tape and hung them on trees, but they were temporary just for the one night.
Reply to: #814012 by Okie Dog
Nov 4, 2013 6:37am
Thread Board
Oh, and you don't worry about this if its been a (example) couple of years with no other finds?

I don't, no.
Nov 4, 2013 6:47am
Thread Board
Sherlock, Warehouse 13, Eureka, Switched at Birth, Sherlock. Yes, I said Sherlock twice, but only because it deserves it. :)

TG
Re: Dead rats and a song.
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #813946 by LadyEilonwy
Nov 4, 2013 6:58am
Thread Board
I've done that before. Just copy and paste to a document, then paste into the appropriate clue page.
Re: Events Widget Change
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #813906 by Green Tortuga
Nov 4, 2013 7:00am
Thread Board
Thanks for the quick fix!
Reply to: #814014 by nine_ca
Nov 4, 2013 7:21am
Thread Board
It was really nice of you to come on and post about this box. I've looked on AQ, LBNA, and the Geocaching site. I looked through all boxes in the Black Canyon City area as well as mysteries and nothing seems to have that name. I did find several boxes planted in Yavapai County, AZ during 2009 but none seemed to be the series you are referring to. Like someone said, it's probable that the listing was deleted.

As this is a good site for a letterbox I hope someone reads this post and adopts the box.

It may sound callous but it needs to be thrown in the trash. The owner is clearly not maintaining the box and there's no stamp left. The fact that there is no stamp means it is no longer a letterbox. The only way to adopt a box on this site is with permission from the original planter and it sounds like that person(s) is not around so they aren't going to transfer ownership. If someone wants to plant at that location, the best choice is to plant their own box since it would be their own carve.
Reply to: #814008 by Okie Dog
Nov 4, 2013 7:46am
Thread Board
if it is in good shape, let it ride
Reply to: #814025 by Dizzy
Nov 4, 2013 7:52am
Thread Board
As the Geocache also needs a bit of maintenance, I have suggested to the owner that he make this a hybrid (shared)cache. Now if some nice Letterboxer from the area would like to place a stamp and relabel the log book...I would be more than happy to co-ordinate.........