Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Statistically is it possible to meet the 801 boxers...
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #812761 by Dawnkey
Oct 31, 2013 8:45am
Thread Board
Hey, what about me?

on the list Dawnkey
I have found one of yours

on the list Colorful Caterpillars
You've already met a lot of us

GJ you can call me benise anytime
Who hasn't found a Tig's box yet

Me?
Just have an open house and let 'em come to you

You offering your house Fluffy Cow?
Woot! I'm on your list

Basketcase1 what state you in?
Does that include postal finds

IrishRef, in my book it does.

deniserows
to letterboxers everywhere
Re: Haunted Tales of TN
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #813238 by Keri Yokey
Oct 31, 2013 8:46am
Thread Board
They used to have a haunted farm near here (Jackson) called the 13th realm that even had a real cemetery on it. I wanted so badly to plant a box there but they were never open! I went all the way out there twice and both times they were closed and didn't post that on their site until the next day. This year we were gonna try a corn maze and a haunted something in Memphis, but due to weather we nixed that idea. So I guess it's trick or treat at the mall then off to Grandmas (kill me).
Re: Beware of Letterbox Karma
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #813215 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 31, 2013 8:51am
Thread Board
I don't think the karma is on you. Ultimately I think the bad karma is on them. I get through your post that the head honcho wasn't too nice, so instead of a wonderful family oriented hobby taking place on their property it's icky punks with their filth.
Re: Getting ready for Halloween
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #813258 by scouttrekkie
Oct 31, 2013 8:54am
Thread Board
Ive desided to go trick or treating this year, im 7 months pregnant and enjoy candy, so what the heck right? Lol
Reply to: #813271 by GreaseLightning
Oct 31, 2013 9:01am
Thread Board
{Ive desided to go trick or treating this year, im 7 months pregnant and enjoy candy, so what the heck right?}}

I always wanted to go as a nun while preggers! Never did get the nerve up tho, ha!
Re: card folding techniques
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #813231 by Red Paisley Quilter
Oct 31, 2013 9:04am
Thread Board
Very good link! I made the Tri-shutter card once. Pain in my behind, but final result was so worth it. I even made a template just in case I ever do that method again.
Reply to: #813267 by deniserows
Oct 31, 2013 9:07am
Thread Board
GG,
we could be traveling for a looooonnnnnnggggg time

Isn't that what you're doping right now?

I do hope that is a typo.
Reply to: #813231 by Red Paisley Quilter
Oct 31, 2013 9:14am
Thread Board
Thanks, just what I needed.
Reply to: #813270 by Raven
Oct 31, 2013 9:19am
Thread Board
I don't think the karma is on you. Ultimately I think the bad karma is on them. I get through your post that the head honcho wasn't too nice, so instead of a wonderful family oriented hobby taking place on their property it's icky punks with their filth.

What a great new perspective you've given me!! Thanks - and it makes the box loss a bit easier to swallow!!
Ghosts and Monsters of (SE) PA
Board: Dutch Country Letterboxing Board
Oct 31, 2013 9:20am
Board
Hiya, Friends!

As an undiagnosed OCD I'm already looking ahead to Halloween 2014. I'm gathering stories of ghosts, monsters, and whatnot from the greater Southeast PA region. I've long kept google maps of such things, and would appreciate anything I could add to that. I'm looking for a little more than tales of "folks say this house is haunted and some hear strange creaking sounds..." What I'm hoping to find are tales, characters, scenarios, etc., that could be turned into a good picture. (Gee...I wonder why....) And the older the tale the better... I love when you read that this or that monster was first sighted in 1797....
Reply to: #813268 by deniserows
Thread Board
Basketcase1 what state you in?

Texas. I got one of your rest area boxes on I30.
Captain Phillips
Board: Movie Moments
Thread Board
I finally got around to seeing this. Was NOT prepared emotionally for the last 5 minutes! If Tom Hanks doesn't get an Oscar nomination for his performance, I'll eat my socks.
Also amazing to me is what our U.S. Navy Seals can accomplish. I am PROUD to be an American!
For a story to which everyone knows the ending, I was pretty much riveted the whole show.
Re: Attempts
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #813263 by Key Note Sneakers
Oct 31, 2013 9:23am
Thread Board
Not sure I understand the point of "N/A"

The N/A really shines when you look for part of a series. What if you look for the first five boxes of a ten-box series. You find some of them, you don't find some of them, and some of them you don't even look for because it's getting dark and you have to turn around and go back.

So some are finds, some are attempts, and some are N/A. =)

The fact that you can leave comments and not update your find/attempt dates is mostly a bonus.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #812742 by deniserows
Oct 31, 2013 9:24am
Thread Board
Actually, finding one my boxes has always been a way for me to say, "Okay, I want to meet this person." The other ways are posting frequently on AQ, planting a box I like, or being an affable person.
Reply to: #813269 by Raven
Oct 31, 2013 9:24am
Thread Board
then off to Grandmas (kill me).

Get a "headache." Send the kids with your husband, pour a glass of wine, and watch your favorite scary movie on Netflix.
Reply to: #813282 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 31, 2013 9:42am
Thread Board
Such a good idea. She's been cooking for days, and her food is so awful. But hopefully we can go there with a time deadline and jet quick. I'm thinking of trying a new haunted farm out, so we'll see how that goes!
Re: Captain Phillips
Reply to: #813279 by Boxer Lover47
Oct 31, 2013 10:06am
Thread Board
We had exactly the same reaction. The whole thing is an AMAZING movie, but the last 5 minutes shook Dbare and I to the core!!
Re: Today, I got a new pair of jeans
Board: Weight Watching Boxers
Reply to: #813212 by SpookyGroup
Oct 31, 2013 10:09am
Thread Board
Treat yourself a little. Wearing clothes that fit your new size will help to keep you motivated, too.

I am so glad I learned how to sew. I have never taken a class and am self-taught so there is a lot I can't do but I can do basic patterns and notions that aren't too detailed. I can put in a zipper or elastic but linings and darts still intimidate me. I keep an eye out for when JoAnn or Hobby Lobby have their patterns on 99cent sale (and incidentally, if HL has theirs on sale, you can take the ad to JoAnn and they will match that). Then I buy remnants (at JoAnn, remnants are always 50% off, and that also means if the fabric is already on sale you get 50% off the sale price). Or just watch the sales to see what fabric is affordable and keep an eye on coupons. I am planning to make most of my clothes while I go through my weight loss.

Sadly, I'm at a standstill right now. I went to my doctor yesterday for a follow up regarding my weight and then met a friend for lunch. I was planning to go to the gym after lunch but as I walked in the restaurant, my foot went out from under me and twisted my ankle. It's really swollen and extremely painful but I don't think it is broken. Ice, rest, and anti-inflammatory meds are in my near future and hopefully I don't gain anything back before I can make it back to the gym. I'm still keeping my calories down so as long as I can maintain my weight, I'll be fine. I don't want to lose my progress.
Reply to: #813225 by FloridaFour
Oct 31, 2013 10:16am
Thread Board
I made the neverending card for NoSox's folded card LTC tracker. It's a huge hit and SUPER easy to make (two cuts, two folds: done!). Just takes some time to plan what you want to decorate where. Here's a video to make the neverending card. Just change the sizes for what you want. Next time, I'd like to attempt this neverending card.

I've made the waterfall card, too, which is also fun, interactive, and pretty. It takes a little more effort, particularly for an LTC size, to cut small pieces. There's more folding involved than the neverending card. But it's a fun card and looks like it takes more effort than it really does!

Just recently I made a swing card, which is also fun and pretty easy.

If you want samples of the neverending or swing cards, I could send them your way :) Have fun! I love making folded cards; they're always a bit of a fun surprise.
Oct 31, 2013 10:24am
Thread Board
Oh, me too.

That guy had gone for several days with no food, little water, fear, then knew he was about to be shot . . . I was wiping away the tears at the end. He is SUCH a good actor!

And now I want to read the book it was based on.

Oh, and do NOT see The Counselor. No logic, plot holes, no explanation on stuff and dreary and negative beyond belief.

Red Fox and I went to Cinetopia with a Groupon and Captain Phillips was sold out. We needed to use the Groupon and the next Captain Phillips was at 10:30, so we went to The Counselor.

You know how a really good movie stays with you for a few days? Well, so do really bad ones. Stayed with both of us for a couple of days. Blah, blick and bletchum.

KuKu
Reply to: #813268 by deniserows
Oct 31, 2013 10:34am
Thread Board
deniserows
to letterboxers everywhere

Even Christchurch?
Oct 31, 2013 10:35am
Thread Board
Oh, for those of you who have seen this, go to imdb.com to read the trivia on that last scene we are talking about.

It's pretty interesting and funny, too!

KuKu
also proud to be an American
Reply to: #813266 by Kirbert
Oct 31, 2013 10:37am
Thread Board
We've been in this house since 1988, and we have yet to see the first trick-or-treater.

I'm sure walking around your property naked doesn't help encourage them either! The kids in your neighborhood probably pass your house and dare each other to knock on your door and run--but they're too scared too. ;o)

-- Ryan
Ender's Game
Oct 31, 2013 10:42am
Thread Board
I am so excited to see Ender's Game tomorrow evening. Anyone else jazzed about going? I love Orson Scott Card's books. I've met him several times and he is very nice. He's signed nearly all of the books of his that I own.

My main issue with OSC is that I don't agree with his politics at all and it is hard for me to feel like my dollars might be going to support his pet causes.

Woman to Blame
(for wanting to go to Battle School)
Reply to: #812792 by tiggermama
Oct 31, 2013 10:47am
Thread Board
i have 2500+ finds on my boxes but only 246 individual finders????

We have found exactly one of your boxes... in Vermont :-) Therefor we need to meet you.

Doublesaj and Old Blue
of Davis CA
Reply to: #813215 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 31, 2013 10:48am
Thread Board
1 yr into my career I lost a lbx in what I described as an enchanted tree if I were writing a fairy tale.

Now I just recognize it as waaaaaay toooo interesting and picture litte ground level kids reaching or digging in it.

Just keep planvnting. Sorry its lost.
KNS on Attempts
Oct 31, 2013 10:56am
Thread Board
Ryan,

Good to hear from you! I read about your "mud encounter" on Day 25 and could only think how cold that must have made you! But no complaining was heard from you!

Thank you for educating me on the new(er) aspects of logging. I guess this leads me to a feature request / discussion.

Since there really isn't an "attempt" anymore (it has been replaced with "missing") would you be willing to discuss some other logging options? Without trying to open a can of worms or make things too complicated it seems that different people want different things logged for different reasons.

As I see it, there are basically three parties involved (this section a.k.a. "The world of logging according to KNS" or "If Green Tortuga made me King of AQ"):
Seeker - for purposes of this discussion, this is the person who just came in from the trail after looking for a box
Planter - it is obvious who this is
Next Boxer - this is a person who is pouring over the AQ site trying to determine which box to attempt next
EventSeeker's PerspectivePlanter's PerspectiveNext Boxer's Perspective
1)Seeker finds box (currently supported by AQ and logged as Find)Logs it as a record of the find (why KNS joined AQ)Wants it logged to get feedback that their labor paid offWants to know that it is likely possible to find
2)Seeker starts for the box, but doesn't really make it to the box - perhaps they made it to their car, the parking lot, or the trail, or maybe they got rained out (personally I don't care about this case, but we've seen people log this as an attempt before which can cause discord) (KNS proposes a new feature where this can be logged as Started)Apparently there are seekers who want to record this - but regardless of intent, as the events unfolded, there was never a possibility of the seeker actually getting "hands on box" for this outing-if it is logged that entry only shows up in the seekers log for their personal recordsPlanter could care less and doesn't want this showing up in logs associated with the box find count and skewing thingsNext Boxer doesn't care either because it has no bearing on his future attempt
3)Seeker makes a concerted effort and believes that they were in the right place but does not find it (KNS proposes the return of an old feature where this can be logged as Attempted)Seeker wants this logged because blood, sweat, and tears are associated with this effort and their lack of a find was not for lack of tryingPlanter (IMHO) should want this logged because it gives them feedback on whether their clues are being properly interpretedNext Boxer certainly wants this information because it indicates whether it is straight forward or not, as well as that the box may actually be missing
4)Seeker determines that the box is actually missing (I think this would be a rare case because without conversing with the planter or returning to a previously found box, more often than not the seeker doesn't have enough information to be certain that they looked in the proper 6 square inches of the planet-as much as they may think they did) (currently supported and logged as Missing)Same as abovePlanter needs to know the box is gone, but would likely know anyway because they would almost have to be consulted for a determination to be madeNext Boxer needs to know so as to avoid wasting time looking for a box which is known to be missing
5)Seeker does not complete a series, see Green Tortuga's Post (currently supported and logged as N/A)No effect on logNo effect on logNo effect on log

Okay, that's enough WikiMarkup for one message... Let the comments begin!!!!
Re: Attempts
Reply to: #813280 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2013 10:58am
Thread Board
Thanks for the great info!

I've started a new post on this since I was off-thread. See this post
Re: KNS on Attempts
Reply to: #813297 by Key Note Sneakers
Oct 31, 2013 11:06am
Thread Board
3)Seeker makes a concerted effort and believes that they were in the right place but does not find it (KNS proposes the return of an old feature where this can be logged as Attempted)

That is an attempt.

If you think you're in the right place, and the box is not there, then you think that the box is missing.

What you don't do is stop halfway up the trail because it starts raining and then log that as an attempt because you "attempted to find the box" but couldn't because of the weather.
Re: KNS on Attempts
Reply to: #813300 by Aiphid
Oct 31, 2013 11:11am
Thread Board
I agree. Attempt is not an option anymore. AQ currently supports:

1) Found
2) Missing
3) N/A