Thread Board
"Why is this happening to me? I'm nice to everyone!!" - Marie

Poor thing, she's clearly delusional...
Re: Just noticed this group
Board: Walking4Fun
Reply to: #811500 by Point Reyes Wanderers
Oct 20, 2013 8:43pm
Thread Board
I just friended you. Aiphid is also on that trail.
Do ADD FRIENDS and search for my name.
Re: The Amazing Race
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #811503 by Chedva
Oct 20, 2013 8:46pm
Thread Board
I hated the ending tonight!!

Ending??? What ending? I didn't see an ending. All I saw when the show went off was... a mess for you to figure out points on!
Re: don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #811203 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 20, 2013 8:52pm
Thread Board
But I would think that would be unlikely for a park ranger to do, especially since many of them haven't even heard of letterboxing.

We've been getting notices forwarded from LbNA moderators to our TX Yahoo group, reminding us we need either to pull or permit our boxes. The most recent was from a location where we just held an event.
Updating clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Oct 20, 2013 9:35pm
Thread Board
So I have a newbie type of question... it seems very straightforward for a planter to update a clue in order to account for changes. For example, I had accidentally given "paces" instead of "steps" on a recent plant I placed. My first finder let me know and I quickly made a change to my clue.

Well, I seem to have found a rather large percentage of boxes lately where the clue has been unchanged since it was planted and the only way I have found the boxes is the helpful comments that past finders have left.

So, my question is this... when a planter/owner realizes their clues are no longer as correct as they once were, why aren't the clues being updated?

One example is a road trip I took where I had printed out the clues for the boxes I'd wanted to find... spent over an hour looking for a specific one (my noxer husband was even with me and we kept thinking we could find it) and when I got back and contacted the owner I was told that they knew there was a problem and that I could have checked the comments at the bottom of the introduction page and seen that part of the clue no longer existed. Really?

Then I had another one where the tree I was looking for was apparently downfall, not a standing tree, which makes looking around the base of it a very different type of search... around a very different tree... and I never would have know without the comments. So, that's another trip to try to find it... but at least this time it was successful.

Is this a common problem? Or have I just had a run of bad luck lately? I don't mean to whine... I just don't have as much time to devote to letterboxing as I'd like and I find it frustrating to have to do hunts twice.... I have started looking at the comments when I pull clues too in an effort to reduce my back-tracking.
Re: Potential Themes for L&B XX..should we end up hosting it
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #811418 by System
Oct 20, 2013 9:51pm
Thread Board
How about a series honoring all the sites who are hosting events on April 1, 2014 to get folks in the Texas spirit? :)
So far, at least, that would be CA, NY, GA, MI and IN ...
Is hosting one of these events an automatic qualifier for Honorary Texan?
San Diego
Board: State: California
Oct 20, 2013 9:54pm
Thread Board
I'm here from Maine for a few days and thought I'd get some letterboxes in from the other coast. It was not a good day. :-(
I tried to find one in the library only to find the library closed down for good.
I tried to find the one at Petco park with no luck.
I went to a private event on the Midway tonight and the area where the box is hidden wasn't open.
I tried one other one where I needed to look under a "good sized rock", but the whole area was full of rocks.

Just venting. I have no finds to record for CA.

Anyone know of any quick ones near the convention center? I'll be in meetings most of the rest of my trip, but I could make one more quick attempt...
Re: A reminder about planting
Reply to: #811472 by Cyclonic
Oct 20, 2013 9:57pm
Thread Board
That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results. Further, why even have a system to log finds if there is not a system to remove boxes from searches without affecting the system of logging finds.

Seriously? As two other people in this thread have already described, a box can be archived on LbNA. It removes it from searches, but maintains all find logs, and the planter can also log it as retired. You can even go to the "basement" and search all such archived boxes, state by state.

This is my point: Kirbert and Cyclonic are complaining about non-existant problems, perpetuating the myth that the site is somehow inferior. You took the time to learn how this site works. LbNA works differently, just take the time to learn.

K
Re: MN Adventure
Board: State: Minnesota
Reply to: #811486 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 20, 2013 10:11pm
Thread Board
Welcome to Minnesota Sunny Side Up! There are lots of great boxes in the Arden Hills/Fridley, and (widely!) surrounding areas of the Twin Cities. Great carves and amazing clues too!

In terms of races, there is the annual Susan G. Komen Race which happens on Mothers Day.
Mud Run is on the more extreme end of racing, but it would depend on your racing preferences.
Twin Cities Marathon is also annual, though I don't know the date of it offhand. I feel like it might be in the late spring.

Hope these suggestions help! Glad to have another visit to our fair state! :)

ASL Girl
Re: This needs a subject? Uh... it's funny.
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #810927 by Fluffy Cow
Oct 20, 2013 10:12pm
Thread Board
I started listening...and continued to listen.........and just couldn't stop in the middle! Had to finish the whole video. Hilarious! Thanks for posting, Fluffy Cow! Just the smile I needed for the day!

ASL Girl
Re: Updating clues
Reply to: #811508 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 20, 2013 10:22pm
Thread Board
Short answer: some folks are lazy. I'm sure that some cases involve a planter who is no longer active, so they won't be updating anything. But if a planter is active, and a problem has been pointed out to them, there really is no excuse not to fix your clues.

K
Re: Husband going to the U.K.
Reply to: #811514 by kilroy
Oct 20, 2013 10:45pm
Thread Board
Additionally, public transportation in the UK is pretty good. Even the smaller villages in Scotland have decent bus service. You can also look for a local train route. For example, many of the villages outside Edinburgh are covered by the Fife Circle train - lovely places like Markinch, Glenrothes, Thornton, and Aberdour.
Re: This day in history: 1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #811477 by Dizzy
Oct 20, 2013 11:03pm
Thread Board
Still too damn many. It's only a game, people!
Reply to: #811460 by The Wolf Family
Oct 20, 2013 11:04pm
Thread Board
Ryan: Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.
Reply to: #811472 by Cyclonic
Oct 20, 2013 11:07pm
Thread Board
That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results.

What's the problem with archiving the box? You can un-archive a box just as easily, one click.

The problem with LbNA is that the box owners don't seem to care, they don't even bother to archive a listing when the box goes missing. Sometimes they'll edit the clue to mention that it's gone missing, and sometimes they'll even edit the box name to include "missing" in it somehow, but just clicking on the button to archive the d##n box is just too much trouble.
Re: Potential Themes for L&B XX..should we end up hosting it
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #811509 by Team Awesome Pants
Oct 20, 2013 11:12pm
Thread Board
How about a series honoring all the sites who are hosting events on April 1, 2014 to get folks in the Texas spirit?

I could host one here in Arkansas but I'd be the only one to show up. :)

Shiloh
Oct 20, 2013 11:14pm
Thread Board
when a planter/owner realizes their clues are no longer as correct as they once were, why aren't the clues being updated?

We had somebody on here a coupla years back opine that clues should not be updated to reflect changes in the environment. The clues to a letterbox should be like a treasure map: Obtuse to begin with and possibly out of date. It's up to the finder to figure out that conditions have changed in the meantime and to adapt accordingly.

I'm not sure I agree with this contention, but it does have merit.
Re: Secrets of the Blue Diamond?
Reply to: #811497 by The Wolf Family
Oct 20, 2013 11:29pm
Thread Board
Can someone let me OFF THE CRAZY TRAIN??!!!!

You can check out anytime you want but you can never leave.
Reply to: #811518 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 12:23am
Thread Board
Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.

I don't rip out the pages of my real logbook with plants that have been retired. Why would I want to do that with an online logbook? =)

Anyhow, people can run searches for their plants with the retired boxes hidden. It would just be a redundant feature on logbooks.

Check out mine! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Google Maps
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #811230 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 1:27am
Thread Board
Once I got back on a wi-fi connection, everything got clearer on Google Maps -- because nothing, I mean nothing works on it without wi-fi! Including the help.

Here's how you save a map for viewing offline. There's a search field at the top left. You tap that, which of course brings up the keyboard so you can type something into the search field. You tap to tell the keyboard to go away, and lo and behold there's a bunch of other options that came up that were hidden by the keyboard! You scroll all the way to the very bottom, and there's a place to tap to save the current map for viewing offline.

It still won't let you save a large area; in fact, the area limit seems to have gotten smaller. You're no longer picking a box, but rather just zooming the entire map to a size. If it's too big it won't take it, so you fiddle and fiddle and fiddle trying to get the zoom just right so you can save something bigger than the neighborhood you live in.

Then it doesn't work. Not sure why it doesn't work, mighta been something I did, but it'd give a % progress that would go to some point and stop. It once went to 98% and wouldn't go any farther. So, the whole thing doesn't work. I'm going to be trying it some more tomorrow.

And another thing: That whole tapping on the search field doesn't work offline. Period. It just tells you you're offline. That means none of the operations that are under that same pulldown are available offline.

I've already decided that Google Maps blows chunks. I'm gonna be looking into other mapping apps, hopefully something that I can download the entire eastern half of the US and keep on my tablet for navigating. Perhaps that My CoPilot app. When I'm in some motel somewhere pondering letterboxes for the following day, then I'll try to load some Google maps for using offline just so that Box Radar might display them properly.
Re: Tablets vs. Smart Phones
Reply to: #811058 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 1:43am
Thread Board
Hunted three geocaches on Saturday just to make sure the tablet worked as well as I expected it to. It did. Found two out of the three, and I'm pretty sure the third had gone missing. I had no problem zeroing in on the GZ.

I had left my Garmin at home. No problem, didn't need it. Also didn't need any paper. I did carry a pen for signing the log book inside the cache; geocaches usually have a pen inside, but I bring my own anyway.

Unfortunately, I also forgot to bring along any trade items. Oh, well.

The c:geo app worked great for pointing toward the cache, tracking the distance, presenting the cache page, offering the hint (which can be decyphered at the tap of a finger), listing the most recent 20 find reports or so (text is a bit small), listing any TB's or geocoins in the cache, and even allowing me to add a waypoint for my own reference. The one thing it doesn't seem particularly adept at is helping me log my finds and DNF's. There is a field where you can type in something, and when you're through you can hit "upload" -- but I dunno where it uploads to, it didn't turn up in the cache logs. I didn't expect it to, since it didn't ask whether this was a find or a DNF or a "write note" or whatever. So what I did for these three was fire up my trusty laptop and log into geocaching.com and typed in these find reports the way I've been doing for years. I could do that on the tablet when I have a wi-fi connection, but I'd still either be typing or trying to cut-and-paste the notes I jotted down in the field.

After all this was done, I realized that I could end up with no record for myself that I had found the cache other than the online logs! There's no paper involved here. So, rather than deleting the listings of the caches I had found, I moved them into a "found" folder. I also created a "DNF" folder.
Reporting Gravesites
Oct 21, 2013 1:48am
Thread Board
I'm not familiar with that Find A Grave thing or whatever it's called, but aren't people supposed to take photos of headstones and submit them? My new tablet supposedly records the GPS coordinates of each photo taken, which would seem ideal for such reporting. Could it possibly be a good idea to just go up and down the rows of headstones in a cemetery, snap a pic of each one, and then send the whole pile of them in next time I have a wi-fi connection? Without even typing anything? Because I might be willing to start doing that. There are lots of cemeteries around here!
Re: Reporting Gravesites
Reply to: #811526 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 1:54am
Thread Board
You don't just submit the photos to Find a Grave. You locate each person's memorial page, and as you upload, type in all the information from the stone. (Particularly if its at all difficult to read!) If the person doesn't have a memorial page yet, you create one for them, including all pertinent dates, and linking it to other family members as appropriate.
Oct 21, 2013 2:25am
Thread Board
. I have started looking at the comments when I pull clues too in an effort to reduce my back-tracking.

sorry you've had such frustrating experiemces. Juat as a helpful hint, if you find info in the comments that you want to have on the trail copy it and paste it into the notes for the box. Then it will print when you print the clues.
Peace
CTEE
Oct 21, 2013 2:39am
Thread Board
FWIW, I update the clues to all my 'boxes as conditions change except one. My first plant, it is a tribute to a boon canine companion and although the first field we often tramped thru is overgrown and nigh impassible, I leave the clue as originally scribed. It is easy enough to figure out that one does not *need* to pass thru and can walk right on by it. (If you can't figure that out--stifles an eevil laugh--you deserve to claw your way thru the second growth & buck brush! 0_o).

Respectfully,
Connfederate
Re: Try this!
Board: Cool Site of the Day
Reply to: #811191 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 21, 2013 3:24am
Thread Board
says I'm Philly too. Not.
Clue update
Board: State: Maine
Oct 21, 2013 3:30am
Thread Board
Time to reprint the clues for Life cycle of a butterfly Suzi. I realized that there was some barbed wire near enough to the preceding clue to move the box for safety sake. Please update. Question. If this were your box, would you have replanted away from the hazard, added an alert to the clue, or ignored the new information? I am allergic to the tetanus vaccine so I tend to be proactive when it comes to rusty barbed wire.
Oct 21, 2013 3:50am
Thread Board
I'm currently on the Camino but should finish that trail in the next few days. I plan to go to the Wonderland Trail next. Add me (BBStacker) to your friends list and I'll look for you as well.
Oct 21, 2013 3:58am
Thread Board
I only update my clues upon the information of certain boxers, of if I've actually gone and checked myself. For instance, I had one reported missing, they were sure it wasn't there, checked every tree. I went outlying the next day, found if safe and sound, right where it was supposed to be, absolutely no change in clues needed. I don't know if that's the situation you're running in to, but that's why I don't always update clues.
Oct 21, 2013 4:09am
Thread Board
I just added you as a friend and looked at your stats. You are a walker! Would love to start a new trail with you. You will probably finish Wonderland about the same time I finish the Camino. Let me know where you go from there. My stats look horrible for the last two weeks but I've been very ill. Back on my feet again now and ready to rack up some miles.