Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

This day in history: 1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Oct 20, 2013 5:55pm
Thread Board
1982 Moscow Soccer Tragedy: The world's worst soccer disaster occurred in Moscow when 340 sports fans were killed during a game between Soviet and Dutch players. Details of the event were not published until nearly seven years later.

Wikipedia says 66 were killed and 61 injured. In the article it says, "The number of fatalities in this crush was not officially revealed until seven years later, in 1989. Until then, this figure varied in press reports from 3 to 340 fatalities."
The Amazing Race
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Oct 20, 2013 6:13pm
Thread Board
"Why is this happening to me? I'm nice to everyone!!" - Marie

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for that laugh, Marie!! I hope she is watching this now and realizing what a bee-yotch she is. :D

TG
Re: Potential Themes for L&B XX..should we end up hosting it
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #811449 by 4EyesMcGee
Oct 20, 2013 6:19pm
Thread Board
Do a search for boxes on LBNA for boxes planted by Renegades. It seems they have recently discovered AQ and are stirring up trouble here as well! Now I've gone and spilled the beans....
Reply to: #811426 by shiloh
Oct 20, 2013 6:23pm
Thread Board
Well we need themes for the boxes! Lets see...how many boxes do we need to qualify for "everything's bigger in Texas"? Or wait...maybe the stamps need to be bigger! Gonna need some BIG Lock N Locks...
Re: Secrets of the Blue Diamond?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #811439 by The Wolf Family
Oct 20, 2013 6:37pm
Thread Board
Anyone wanna hop on this crazy train and claim to secretly be me secretly involved in all excellent boxes?

I hearby certify that all previous perceptions that 3 Blind Mice was actually a family from NY, is false. We are in fact a fictitious creation of Mama Wolf of The Wolf Family, and any honors either real or fictitious belong to her. The family that may have been seen at various events were paid plants hired by Mama Wolf to further her rouse. We further acknowledge that Mama Wolf secretly did everything that we have openly taken credit for and she should be held liable for anything we may or may not have said, done, or executed.

3 Blind Mice (AKA Mama Wolf)
Reply to: #811482 by System
Oct 20, 2013 6:39pm
Thread Board
You are one mean Clown LB Bozo! Leave those little bears alone, they are nice!
How about this for a theme:
Ghost of letterboxers past
Weddings of ghoulish creatures
Throwing mean clowns out of the big top
Endangered Species: Little Bears and Eagles

Now, those Renegades, I'm not so sure about. Rowdy bunch I'm sure!

President of the Save the Baby Bears Club
Blue butterfly
MN Adventure
Board: State: Minnesota
Oct 20, 2013 6:41pm
Thread Board
Since we will be up in MN this weekend to visit DD, we thought we'd work in some LBing. :) While we have been up to your fair state a few times visiting DD at college, we are still getting the lay of the land and are looking for suggestions on where to start LBing. DD is at Bethel, so we are based in the Arden Hills/Fridley area.

And if anyone is a runner, we'd love to know about where to find out about local races in the spring.

If anyone in the MCC might be available for a "meet", I have some stamps that y'all may use for the GLG if y'all are interested.
Reply to: #811484 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 20, 2013 6:50pm
Thread Board
The family that may have been seen at various events were paid plants

And yet the deceit continues. Obviously a shallow attempt at maintaining some dignity. When in truth, everyone knows, you were not a paid plant, but a Minion, and Minions don't get paid.
Reply to: #811418 by System
Oct 20, 2013 7:02pm
Thread Board
How about NativTxns, I mean Native Texans? People, Products, etc. that originated in the Lone Star State.
Reply to: #811489 by NativTxn
Oct 20, 2013 7:05pm
Thread Board
It worked for New England.
Re: Trailer
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #811279 by Kelsung
Oct 20, 2013 7:06pm
Thread Board
Here are some things that you may have missed in the trailer.

TG
Delicious Delights
Oct 20, 2013 7:09pm
Thread Board
Thanks to Open Space for hosting this weekend's event in Lake Houston Wilderness Park. We couldn't have asked for better weather! I wish I could have been there to camp and have more time to look for the boxes, but we only made it up fro Aggieland for the day. So many options, so little time. Thanks for all the effort that went into this event from the hostess and all who helped out and those who brought food. It was a great escape from stresses I've been under lately.
Re: Things changed?
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #811456 by Butterfly Suzy
Oct 20, 2013 7:43pm
Thread Board
There is far more brush growing in places that it was not growing so much when there was more of a canopy.

More food and shelter for the wildlife :). I haven't seen that here in the southwest corner, but our deer population is so high they would just eat any new growth.
Thought regarding Sleepy Hollow
Oct 20, 2013 7:45pm
Thread Board
I am beginning to wonder of the Captain (Orlando) is actually working for the dark side . . . . But has anyone else noticed that his last name is Irving . . . a descendant of Washington????? Ummm.... my kitty senses tell me we shall see more about this.

csk
Reply to: #811491 by Open Space
Oct 20, 2013 7:46pm
Thread Board
What was the theme? I guess I was so overwhelmed looking @ your & NLW's images, I didn't actually look at the clue book! I vote for children's stories because it's something everyone everywhere can relate to and because I already have some ideas in the works for that!

And I ditto NativTxn's comments about your event. You rock. Even when you're snotty. I mean, sick.
Reply to: #811484 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 20, 2013 7:55pm
Thread Board
and any honors either real or fictitious belong to her.

Woohooo!!! The Mice fell for it!

and she should be held liable for anything we may or may not have said, done, or executed.

Ah... uh oh... I may have taken this too far! Can someone let me OFF THE CRAZY TRAIN??!!!!
Re: Just noticed this group
Board: Walking4Fun
Reply to: #811429 by The Wolf Family
Oct 20, 2013 8:04pm
Thread Board
How do I find you on the trail??
Re: The Amazing Race
Reply to: #811479 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 20, 2013 8:15pm
Thread Board
I hated the ending tonight!!
Reply to: #811479 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 20, 2013 8:41pm
Thread Board
"Why is this happening to me? I'm nice to everyone!!" - Marie

Poor thing, she's clearly delusional...
Re: Just noticed this group
Board: Walking4Fun
Reply to: #811500 by Point Reyes Wanderers
Oct 20, 2013 8:43pm
Thread Board
I just friended you. Aiphid is also on that trail.
Do ADD FRIENDS and search for my name.
Reply to: #811503 by Chedva
Oct 20, 2013 8:46pm
Thread Board
I hated the ending tonight!!

Ending??? What ending? I didn't see an ending. All I saw when the show went off was... a mess for you to figure out points on!
Re: don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #811203 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 20, 2013 8:52pm
Thread Board
But I would think that would be unlikely for a park ranger to do, especially since many of them haven't even heard of letterboxing.

We've been getting notices forwarded from LbNA moderators to our TX Yahoo group, reminding us we need either to pull or permit our boxes. The most recent was from a location where we just held an event.
Updating clues
Oct 20, 2013 9:35pm
Thread Board
So I have a newbie type of question... it seems very straightforward for a planter to update a clue in order to account for changes. For example, I had accidentally given "paces" instead of "steps" on a recent plant I placed. My first finder let me know and I quickly made a change to my clue.

Well, I seem to have found a rather large percentage of boxes lately where the clue has been unchanged since it was planted and the only way I have found the boxes is the helpful comments that past finders have left.

So, my question is this... when a planter/owner realizes their clues are no longer as correct as they once were, why aren't the clues being updated?

One example is a road trip I took where I had printed out the clues for the boxes I'd wanted to find... spent over an hour looking for a specific one (my noxer husband was even with me and we kept thinking we could find it) and when I got back and contacted the owner I was told that they knew there was a problem and that I could have checked the comments at the bottom of the introduction page and seen that part of the clue no longer existed. Really?

Then I had another one where the tree I was looking for was apparently downfall, not a standing tree, which makes looking around the base of it a very different type of search... around a very different tree... and I never would have know without the comments. So, that's another trip to try to find it... but at least this time it was successful.

Is this a common problem? Or have I just had a run of bad luck lately? I don't mean to whine... I just don't have as much time to devote to letterboxing as I'd like and I find it frustrating to have to do hunts twice.... I have started looking at the comments when I pull clues too in an effort to reduce my back-tracking.
Reply to: #811418 by System
Oct 20, 2013 9:51pm
Thread Board
How about a series honoring all the sites who are hosting events on April 1, 2014 to get folks in the Texas spirit? :)
So far, at least, that would be CA, NY, GA, MI and IN ...
Is hosting one of these events an automatic qualifier for Honorary Texan?
San Diego
Board: State: California
Oct 20, 2013 9:54pm
Thread Board
I'm here from Maine for a few days and thought I'd get some letterboxes in from the other coast. It was not a good day. :-(
I tried to find one in the library only to find the library closed down for good.
I tried to find the one at Petco park with no luck.
I went to a private event on the Midway tonight and the area where the box is hidden wasn't open.
I tried one other one where I needed to look under a "good sized rock", but the whole area was full of rocks.

Just venting. I have no finds to record for CA.

Anyone know of any quick ones near the convention center? I'll be in meetings most of the rest of my trip, but I could make one more quick attempt...
Re: A reminder about planting
Reply to: #811472 by Cyclonic
Oct 20, 2013 9:57pm
Thread Board
That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results. Further, why even have a system to log finds if there is not a system to remove boxes from searches without affecting the system of logging finds.

Seriously? As two other people in this thread have already described, a box can be archived on LbNA. It removes it from searches, but maintains all find logs, and the planter can also log it as retired. You can even go to the "basement" and search all such archived boxes, state by state.

This is my point: Kirbert and Cyclonic are complaining about non-existant problems, perpetuating the myth that the site is somehow inferior. You took the time to learn how this site works. LbNA works differently, just take the time to learn.

K
Re: MN Adventure
Board: State: Minnesota
Reply to: #811486 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 20, 2013 10:11pm
Thread Board
Welcome to Minnesota Sunny Side Up! There are lots of great boxes in the Arden Hills/Fridley, and (widely!) surrounding areas of the Twin Cities. Great carves and amazing clues too!

In terms of races, there is the annual Susan G. Komen Race which happens on Mothers Day.
Mud Run is on the more extreme end of racing, but it would depend on your racing preferences.
Twin Cities Marathon is also annual, though I don't know the date of it offhand. I feel like it might be in the late spring.

Hope these suggestions help! Glad to have another visit to our fair state! :)

ASL Girl
Re: This needs a subject? Uh... it's funny.
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #810927 by Fluffy Cow
Oct 20, 2013 10:12pm
Thread Board
I started listening...and continued to listen.........and just couldn't stop in the middle! Had to finish the whole video. Hilarious! Thanks for posting, Fluffy Cow! Just the smile I needed for the day!

ASL Girl
Re: Updating clues
Reply to: #811508 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 20, 2013 10:22pm
Thread Board
Short answer: some folks are lazy. I'm sure that some cases involve a planter who is no longer active, so they won't be updating anything. But if a planter is active, and a problem has been pointed out to them, there really is no excuse not to fix your clues.

K
Re: Husband going to the U.K.
Reply to: #811514 by kilroy
Oct 20, 2013 10:45pm
Thread Board
Additionally, public transportation in the UK is pretty good. Even the smaller villages in Scotland have decent bus service. You can also look for a local train route. For example, many of the villages outside Edinburgh are covered by the Fife Circle train - lovely places like Markinch, Glenrothes, Thornton, and Aberdour.