A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 10, 2013 1:57pm
Thread Board
What kind of printer are you using. Blender pens are xylene, and they work just like acetone. They are both solvents that seem to dissolve and soften the image, but they only work with laserjet images, and even then not all of them. And FF is right. They go out pretty fast, so I'm loving the idea of being able to dip it in acetone, awesome idea, because I love the precision of the tip. I'm going to try to refill it from the back and see what happens.
Peregrine Falcon Sighting!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Oct 10, 2013 2:11pm
Thread Board
While searching out the "Birds of Breakheart" in Saugus on this BEAUTIFUL fall day, we spied a Peregrine Falcon perched on the Pearce Lake island!

What a wonderful coincidence!!! ;o)

Pete

PS - Fun Fact: Did you know that the Peregrine Falcon is the FASTEST member of the animal kingdom? Here's the wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Falcon
Re: Alias check in
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #809559 by Marty McFly
Oct 10, 2013 2:13pm
Thread Board
Why? does Big Brother need to know?
Re: Wanting to plant first box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #809771 by Sunia
Oct 10, 2013 2:24pm
Thread Board
Can't I make clues so that ordinary people will be able to find my box?

On the AQ statistics page only 7.2% of planted letterboxes have the mental puzzle label. So it seems you'd be in the majority with straightforward directions.
Oct 10, 2013 2:34pm
Thread Board
I pretty much write directions with maybe a little bit of misdirection. Only a few of mine have a trick. So far.
Oct 10, 2013 2:36pm
Thread Board
Whatever floats yer boat :)
Re: Bones - definite spoilers! (You've been warned!)
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #809694 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 10, 2013 2:40pm
Thread Board
Thanks, TG. It just felt so wrong. They went what? 5 seasons not seeing the attraction that was so obvious to all of us. Then all of the sudden they're living together, saying "I love you" all the time etc.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some episodes. I don't have television, so I watch via Netflix.

Thanks again
Re: Photo To Stamp Image Generator?
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #809767 by The Lost Boys
Oct 10, 2013 2:49pm
Thread Board
Fotoflexer works well. Which, by the way, autocorrects to foot flexer.
Re: Number of underage boxers?
Reply to: #809780 by NotMyCircus
Oct 10, 2013 3:01pm
Thread Board
There's a cocktail series near me, and it isn't restricted. I'd be worried of having no finders in Florida if I made it a Pin Up, because not everyone knows about that setting. But I think the titles are pretty much self-explanatory. I would just say something in the clue and let parents decide. If it was my Ryan Lochte Pin Up, that I would restrict. :D

FloridaFour -who's celebrating turning in her first watercolored LTC to a juried art exhibition with an adult beverage tonight! (Hopefully not celebrating too soon). Maybe I should go hunt what is left of that series.....
Oct 10, 2013 3:07pm
Thread Board
Sure you can!!

Not very many of my clues are tricky. However, most of them make me laugh, at least. Because i'm the tigs, that's why.

And at least i'm bouncing, LOL.

~tigs
Best Hinkg trail App?
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Oct 10, 2013 3:16pm
Thread Board
A big thanx to you that helped in my quest for a smart phone. Ended up with the brand spankin' new LG G2 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series quad-core processor under the hood. How's that for techie huh?huh?
Alrighty all you folk who helped me get into the electronic age, please help me figure out what apps i absolutely NEED for basic letterboxing/rowing/traveling/scrapbooking/fishing/RVing/photography/humor. No games please.
Installing Box Radar as i type. Yippeeee!!!!!
What hiking apps have you found to be good?
Should i think about the compass app?
Does the AQ QR code thingie work well?
What about the LnL plastic sniffer app i heard so much about???? J/K ;)
Type at me please.

deniserows
app less
Re: Photo To Stamp Image Generator?
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #809767 by The Lost Boys
Oct 10, 2013 3:29pm
Thread Board
I use Gimp 2.0. It is good for taking a picture and making it into stencils (including shadows, etc). There are some online videos on youtube to teach you how. It does not do as much to make it a simple line drawing but it can be done. I use it to make portrait stamps, stamps of houses, pets and so on.
Reply to: #809795 by FloridaFour
Oct 10, 2013 3:40pm
Thread Board
How do i find the pin-up setting???!?!
Could there be boxes in my 'hood that I dont know about??!
Oct 10, 2013 3:43pm
Thread Board
At events, most teens there are usually with their letterboxer parent or parents (if I know for a fact that they are a teen). There are a few teen letterboxers that have less involvement from Mom and Dad, I suspect. Not sure how many go to events.

If you ever go to events:

Sometime people are younger than they look.

Sometimes people are older than they look. I've been told that I look anywhere from 17-33; I am 32. My mom is 62 er... 39 and holding. She could pass for her late forties or early fifties.

On that one, it is awesome to pass for a younger person, especially as a thirty-two year old college student surrounded by 17-22-year-olds. There is a downside to it as well. Some people talk down to you if they think you are a "young person." You can hear it in their voice and in their body language. It hasn't happened too much as a letterboxer. There was a letterboxer that thought I was a lot younger than my actual age, but I don't really recall her talking down to me. However, there probably have been a few instances where people have thought and still think that I am some 19-year-old punk without really getting to know me. *shrug*

I really don't care about age when letterboxing with people. There are some that do. I enjoy letterboxing with teen boxer friends and fifty or sixty something 'boxer friends. With all that said, because I have been talked down to in life, I try to treat everyone on the same level if you are 13 to 89. Sorry to those that are 90; I'll probably be inquiring about your secret of longevity.

Finally, don't try to guess how old people are prior to an event. *shaking head*
Re: Best Hinkg trail App?
Reply to: #809799 by deniserows
Oct 10, 2013 4:22pm
Thread Board
The only hiking apps I use are actually put out by our state park system. You might check to see if they have one for your state parks. My local conservation center also has one.
Re: Best Hinkg trail App?
Reply to: #809814 by Dizzy
Oct 10, 2013 4:33pm
Thread Board
Dizzy - Missouri has a hiking app? How do I get a hold of that?
Oct 10, 2013 4:41pm
Thread Board
Just make sure there's something in the title that lets 'em know what they're about and let them fend for themselves.
Reply to: #809808 by crosscresent
Oct 10, 2013 4:57pm
Thread Board
To set allowances for Pin Ups, goto

Preferences, the Miscellaneous, and select that you want to see Pin Ups.

When placing a letterbox, it is under Restrictions, you can make it a Pin Up Accessible only.
Holding a family hostage
Board: State: North Carolina
Oct 10, 2013 4:59pm
Board
I feel like I've taken a family hostage. They are stuck in my room unless mom tries to escape. Mama is an expert at manipulation. Sometimes their crying wakes me up at night. I feel like my neighbors may report me over excessive racket. Anyone want a cute furry hostage?

koala with three adorable cats
Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Oct 10, 2013 5:10pm
Thread Board
Just a word in favor of Speedball Speedy-Cut "Easy" (blue stuff).

It is the only media available at Hobby Lobby $4.99 for a 4x6 block.
On my last visit to Michael's there was no rubber in stock.
For some beginners, this is how they start... at the hobby shop.

It works just fine.
Oct 10, 2013 5:32pm
Thread Board
Well...I saw recently where someone had found an "edible" first finder prize and I started thinking...

But, I don't want to get in trouble for contributing to the delinquency of a minor!

Thanks for the info on the pin-up group...I've updated my settings!
Reply to: #809795 by FloridaFour
Oct 10, 2013 5:35pm
Thread Board
Ryan Lochte? I'm a Nathan Adrian girl, myself! Ha!

Is there a way to search only for boxes with the pin-up restriction or is it like a regular P or F restriction?

Thanks again!

PS...I could go for an adult beverage tonight, so have one for me!
Re: Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Reply to: #809827 by Rick in Boca
Oct 10, 2013 5:40pm
Thread Board
I'd try it if I ever saw it. Why not right?
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 10, 2013 5:46pm
Thread Board
Miss C., I don't think you'd like it, but I have a chunk left from a carve I did recently when I had no other carving material available that I could send you if you want to try it. I don't think it would be suitable for your type of detailed carves because it crumbles badly when you're doing tight curves, etc. with a gouge. It pills up easily, too, along any cut edge. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get good detail with. I have no idea how it would be for a knife carver.
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 5:55pm
Thread Board
Yeah, near as I can tell, it's identical to tan Speedy Cut, but they changed the colour. (Maybe they caught on to its bad reputation?) But compared to pink, it's awful.
Re: image transfer
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 10, 2013 5:59pm
Thread Board
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. If you wait until it is dry the toner re-adheres to the paper. Getting the paper that wet can result in some degradation (running) of the image. It also helps if the carving material is stickier which can be accomplished with by wiping softer materials with acetone or sanding harder materials.
Good news for S.H.I.E.L.D.
Board: Whedonverse
Oct 10, 2013 6:28pm
Thread Board
Re: Good news for S.H.I.E.L.D.
Reply to: #809839 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 10, 2013 6:45pm
Thread Board
As well it should.

And I'm glad Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist got picked up as well. All three are great shows!

J
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 6:58pm
Thread Board
Oh ew! Hate speedy cut!!
Small Buffy Reference on The Crazy Ones
Oct 10, 2013 6:58pm
Thread Board
At the end of the show, they show outtakes of scenes. Simon (Robin Williams) asks Sidney (SMG) where she learned to drive Duke of Hazzard Style. She replies, "Sunnydale."

As for the show, I keep watching it. Really did not like the first episode. However, I like their relationship. The other three main cast members are growing on me, too.