A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Found - update
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #809556 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 9, 2013 10:38am
Thread Board
The announcement of which episodes have been recovered will be made tomorrow by Frazer Hines (Jamie McCrimmon) and Deborah Watling (Victoria Waterfield). That leads me to believe that the episodes in question are Patrick Troughton's, with Jamie and Victoria as the companions. Which ones though? The Evil of the Daleks? The Abominable Snowmen? The Ice Warriors? I guess we'll see for sure tomorrow.

TG
Richardson South Lawn Celebration, Buffalo
Board: Western New York Letterboxing
Oct 9, 2013 10:53am
Thread Board
Is there anyone from the Buffalo area who can tell me the AQ names of the two women who recently got me started on Letter Boxing? They had a booth at the Richardson Complex in Buffalo, on September 28th, 2013.

It would be nice to be able to thank them and let them know my interested continued, after their introductory event at the grand opening of the South Lawn last month.
Re: Alias check in
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #809588 by WNYBoneyardBoxing
Oct 9, 2013 10:58am
Thread Board
Why not?

Because I don't understand why...
Reply to: #809559 by Marty McFly
Oct 9, 2013 11:04am
Thread Board
Hey Marty, excellent way to bring all those aliases in the open!! They can all chime in together on one subject.
Reply to: #809607 by Spoiled Rotten
Oct 9, 2013 11:14am
Thread Board
Because I don't understand why...

Because some folks like to have a little fun. Isn't having a trail name in and of itself having an alias?
Re: Richardson South Lawn Celebration, Buffalo
Board: Western New York Letterboxing
Reply to: #809605 by Sunia
Oct 9, 2013 11:17am
Thread Board
I know the boxes for that event were planted by this trailname:
http://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.html?gMemberId=76325

(Given that they planted the day before, and retired them immediately after, I didn't think anyone had gotten them!)

I don't know who they were, or whether they actually have any connection to the AQ community. Their account looks like it was created just before their event.
Re: Respect.... Seems to be a hard concept....
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #809574 by Lone R
Oct 9, 2013 11:21am
Thread Board
These people are hysterical! I love it!

KuKu
Oct 9, 2013 11:22am
Thread Board
They have quite a list of finders - How?????????????
Re: slow down
Board: Cool Site of the Day
Reply to: #809600 by tiggermama
Oct 9, 2013 11:32am
Thread Board
That is SOOOOO cool.
Oct 9, 2013 11:45am
Thread Board
For the full experience on these, go in and read the comments.

This is a good place to be a letterboxer. :)
Oct 9, 2013 12:27pm
Thread Board
You're kind of responsible for that first box, Ms. R - because of this post. What I may have written in those clues notwithstanding, I love this series of stamps in my logbook.

Sorry for the continued thread-jack.
Re: Good Pink Stuff (Speedy Carve)
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #809521 by Wry Me
Oct 9, 2013 12:40pm
Thread Board
I've been reading about the crumby pink stuff, but just now discovered that I needed to buy a new stock, so yesterday I was heading into the big city (I live in a town of about 800 and we don't have any pink stuff here) so I found a 40% off coupon for Michael's and stopped at the one in Humble (pronounced "Umble", y'all, Texas) to buy some. They had 3 of the large slabs. Two of them were dark pink and had the "beveled" sides, so that looked bad to me. The third one was flat and of even thickness all the way to all four edges, no bevels at all and, to my eye, was a slightly lighter shade of pink, so that's the one I bought. I haven't tried it out yet, and when I got it home, it's darker than pieces I have been using. I carve with an X-acto knife, so can I assume that if this is the bad stuff, I'll be able to tell right away? What are the symptoms of the bad stuff?
Reply to: #809620 by Bumble
Oct 9, 2013 12:40pm
Thread Board
Oh man!!! I had no idea that blog post would reek such havoc. That is sooooooo cooooool. :D Thanks for letting me know that unbeknownst-to-me I was the instigator. I feel like a muse.
Reply to: #809622 by Boots Tex
Oct 9, 2013 12:52pm
Thread Board
Quickest check.. what is the date on the packaging?
Reply to: #809617 by System
Oct 9, 2013 12:54pm
Thread Board
I sometimes forget to cover my tracks

I never forget.
Reply to: #809622 by Boots Tex
Oct 9, 2013 1:06pm
Thread Board
/Umble/ is where I bought my last batch of bad stuff! I'm given to understand that the newer, firmer stuff has the beveling all around. Carve a few close lines, then run your fingernail across it. It will come off in chunks and pills. I haven't tried the rose-colored stuff yet. That Michael's store is brand-new and when I went there, they only had the old stuff. I used it for an indoor-only carve that won't get a huge amount of traffic, so I'm hoping it holds up. In terms of your carving, because yours is so fluid, your carves will be as fabulous as ever, I'm guessing. Mine sucked as the immaculate straight lines I thought I was carving weren't so even or straight when I stamped it. Try it and let me know what you think. It's ridiculously easy to carve, just about halving the time it takes to finish. Like carving Jell-O. It's the longevity that worries me, since it literally scuffs off with a fingernail or firm rubbing w/ a thumb, like dead skin after a sun burn.
Trick or Treat series
Board: State: Minnesota
Oct 9, 2013 1:06pm
Board
The Trick or Treat boxes that were planted for last year's Monster Mash gathering in Kaposia Park are back in place for the month of OCTOBER 2013. If you (or your kids) didn't get them last year, here's another chance.
Reply to: #809625 by The Vs
Oct 9, 2013 1:07pm
Thread Board
Quickest check.. what is the date on the packaging?

Date is irrelevant. There is good 2012, crumbly 2012 and new batch craptastic 2012 all out there. Label is only date of when label created
Reply to: #809631 by turkey feathers
Oct 9, 2013 1:10pm
Thread Board
But if the date is 2009, then you know you are safe!
Oct 9, 2013 1:11pm
Thread Board
Thank you! That's what I think, too! Were you the one who tried the newest batch? The dark rose-colored, beveled on all sides stuff?
Reply to: #809633 by Wry Me
Oct 9, 2013 1:15pm
Thread Board
'Twas I. Yucky. Onto OZ for me.
Reply to: #809620 by Bumble
Oct 9, 2013 1:17pm
Thread Board
That Hello Kitty series is hilarious. That blog entry reminds me of the movie Educating Rita where Michael Cain's professor character is trying to make his student understand slant rhymes, and she says it's "getting the rhyme wrong." Isn't a hybrid just "getting the box wrong?"
Very Merry AQversary to you!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Oct 9, 2013 1:38pm
Thread Board
For 7 years the Pranksters have been gracing us with their Merry Gratefullness! Thank you and congrats, it's your day!!
Oct 9, 2013 1:51pm
Thread Board
All 3 had identical labeling and were dated 2012.
Reply to: #809629 by Wry Me
Oct 9, 2013 2:19pm
Thread Board
There's a new Michaels in Humble? I went to the one on 1960 and 59, which is an old store. I did a quick test carving with the new slab of pink I just bought. I compared it to a piece in my scrap box that's at least 4 or 5 years old. The new piece is just slightly darker in color. I cut very thin lines and curves and the two carve with a knife virtually the same. The new one did not crumble. I rubbed on the thin lines with my thumb and I couldn't break or crumble the rubber. There is no dust or pebbles of rubber on the slab or in the package. The edges are sharp with no beveling. I can carve to the edge and the ink transfers to the edge without having to rock the stamp. I cut a strip of both pieces and folded them together and both will break in two identically. The rubber cuts easily and releases easily with no drag on the knife. I think I got a good one.
Re: Very Merry AQversary to you!
Reply to: #809636 by Raven
Oct 9, 2013 2:20pm
Thread Board
Thanks Yolanda/MiSs cHiEvOuS nEsS!!! ;o)

You all can have a piece of the cake. As we blow out the candles, we wish everyone another most Grateful year of letterboxing joy!

Pete

PS - Happy AQversary #2 to Blueberry Beach as well!
Reply to: #809559 by Marty McFly
Oct 9, 2013 3:02pm
Thread Board
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Re: slow down
Board: Cool Site of the Day
Reply to: #809613 by 55 Steps
Oct 9, 2013 3:07pm
Thread Board
thank frykitty - she had it on her Facebook page.

~tigs (queen of copy and paste)
Gratefulness to Letterboxers!!!
Oct 9, 2013 3:12pm
Board
Happiest of ranbow-colored AQversaries to the Pranksters and the Blueberry Beaches!!

What a nice day to dance and celebrate the uniqueness of a grateful parade of boxers!! One Captain, Our Captain!! Two lovely, brumbly blueberry/wonderberry people to play along!! Both from that fantastical place along the Bay. . .

May all your trails be smooth and float along with the music! May all your carves be flawless and flowing!! May all your finds be phenomenal and flamboyant!!

~tigs (and the roo, who helped with the typing)
Re: Been a while
Board: CCCP Home
Reply to: #809502 by dingus dufus
Oct 9, 2013 3:16pm
Thread Board
You're really a sick guy. :))))