A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Distiguishing Pink stuff
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #806231 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 5:59am
Thread Board
Oh, but prior to you using it a month ago it had not been used since January of 2012.
Re: Restricions and Searches
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #806223 by mcmartian
Sep 20, 2013 6:00am
Thread Board
That's not really the case. I've found just about all of the boxes in my area and have to drive to either Tampa or Orlando (1 hour either way) to go boxing, so if there are any closer to home, I'd like to know.

It seems that the boxers that planted the majority of the boxes in my county have gone inactive. I'm starting to plant also, but love to hit the trails!
Re: Restricions and Searches
Reply to: #806227 by speedsquare
Sep 20, 2013 6:01am
Thread Board
Thank you!
Reply to: #806231 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 6:20am
Thread Board
However, it was listed to Urban Dictionary on July 28, 2004. :-)
Re: Roving Letterbox
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #806202 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 6:22am
Thread Board
FYI: The trailname "snarky" is apparently available.

http://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.html?gMemberId=12437
Reply to: #806236 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 20, 2013 6:31am
Thread Board
I've been calling Fantastic Sam's hair salon, Craptastic Sam's since my son was 2 and they botched his hair, that was 2004.
Reply to: #806236 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 20, 2013 6:34am
Thread Board
However, it was listed to Urban Dictionary on July 28, 2004. :-)

I knew someone would have better research methods than I would. ;-)
We are scared. Please pray for us!
Board: Prayer and Healing
Sep 20, 2013 6:40am
Thread Board
This happened, not just on our street, but in our block!
We should have been out of here months ago but where taken advantage of by a dirty contractor. We dont have money to move. Pray for protection & our home to be finished so we can move!!!!

http://www.wkrn.com/story/23480863/fugitive-wanted-for-kidnapping-added-to-most-wanted-list
Re: Roving Letterbox
Reply to: #806077 by sunpillar
Sep 20, 2013 6:43am
Thread Board
Well, you could change the name slightly to represent where you plant it. Retire old box, move, change name.

Example: The Red Baron lands at Ft Sam Houston, The Red Baron Lands at Ft. Hood., etc. Then in the clue you can say where the previous places the letterbox has been planted. This way, previous finders would be alerted that it is the same stamp.

I think it would be a cool travel log, of sorts. Have fun!
Re: Hunting season in MA
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #806010 by Rocklun
Sep 20, 2013 6:45am
Thread Board
Wow!! This Quick Reference sheet put out by Mass Wildlife is SOOOO MUCH easier to comprehend than the ones they put out only a few years ago!! Thanks for posting the link, Rocklun.

~zess~
Re: We are scared. Please pray for us!
Reply to: #806240 by crosscresent
Sep 20, 2013 6:49am
Thread Board
Well, I think since this happened in 2011, this particular criminal is long gone, but I do hope you can get out and into your new home as soon as possible. I know you will be safer and happier... My own selfish reason is, then your mail is safe, and you can host some LTC swaps, and I am looking forward to joining!

I've said a prayer for your home to be ready soon, and to keep you safe.
Re: Trackables Question
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #803752 by FloridaFour
Sep 20, 2013 7:00am
Thread Board
I posted a message on the CT Caching Community fb Board and some felt it was too soon to mark it missing. A couple of cachers suggested contacting a couple of finders to see if either of them had taken it -- possibly an opportunity to teach a new cacher about travellers. I noticed that most of the finders were premium members, that the person who dropped the travellers had two new to geocaching with him and this was the first find for next geocacher (who was the finder just before I checked on the cache).

So I started by contacting the person who dropped the coins to see if one of the new folks had picked up the missing coin. It turns out he had made a few stops that evening and had gotten confused about which coins were dropped in which caches and said that he hadn't dropped that coin in my cache but couldn't remember which cache he'd dropped the coin in. He said not to worry it would straighten itself out in time.

Since I'm so disappointed when I go to a cache and a traveller that's listed in inventory isn't there, I wrote a note in the cache's log and in the geocoin's log, dated Aug 27, saying when I checked on the cache, this geocoin was not there.

I assume that as long as someone has the tracking number that's on the coin itself that they can log it as found, even if it's found in the cache where it's not listed in inventory. Is this correct? If so, I will probably wait before marking it missing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Reply to: #806243 by FloridaFour
Sep 20, 2013 7:22am
Thread Board
This is so crazy! I just finally read that part & went "oh wait! Good news!"
It was on the news here & i think they must have made i sound like it actually happened last night.
3 folks have called this morning before i put it on facebook.

We've been layed out sick for a few days. Brain isnt working. I was so scared this morning i put furniture in front of the door when i got home this morning :/
Re: When will you arrive at Paris?
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #806212 by Bungalow Boxer
Sep 20, 2013 7:22am
Thread Board
Woohoo, me too. Getting an early start, leaving TN at 5:30am Saturday morning. Just in time to wake everyone up at the campsite. I'm excited can't wait to see everyone in Paris!
Reply to: #806243 by FloridaFour
Sep 20, 2013 7:24am
Thread Board
And yes! Then i will be able to host a tracker!

Vintage Strawberry Shortcake!!! YippieUnicorn's idea.
She wants to host one sooo bad!
Re: This is a first for me.
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #806232 by trilla_marion
Sep 20, 2013 7:29am
Thread Board
The only ones Im in are 4 part ones right now. I havent joined one if forever :(
Sucks.
Re: Connecticut NW corner news article
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Reply to: #806230 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 7:30am
Thread Board
I always hate when I'm asked to do an article. The reporters never get it right which is why I always refuse. From the caption, it sounds like it's the logbook we're seeking and the stamp enclosed is secondary.

I don't recognize the name but with the way this hobby has grown, that's not surprising!

I hope it doesn't affect the Four Directions boxes. Coyote had Sue & I adopt them a few years ago when he moved away and quit letterboxing.

Mark
Re: When will you arrive at Paris?
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #806247 by scouttrekkie
Sep 20, 2013 7:36am
Thread Board
You are going to have to leave earlier to catch anyone sleeping.
Reply to: #806248 by crosscresent
Sep 20, 2013 7:36am
Thread Board
At a comic convention this past weekend I almost bought a Peculier Pieman action figure.
Re: geocache in box?
Reply to: #806098 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 20, 2013 7:56am
Thread Board
May I please have a moment of your time, I do not intend to step on toes or fingers (but I have been know to be a klutz)... As both a finder of letterboxes and a geocacher, I have done a few combination that are called hybrids in the geocaching realm. Its a divided container- one side letterbox with its own logbook and stamp / the other side a geocache with its own logbook and swag (trade items). They are well and doing very good in both worlds. Yes they are hidden at the same location, verbal directions posted on this website for the letterboxers and GPS coordinates for the geocaching community. This is a good thing because it has introduced both hobbies to a wide range of people, crossing the stigma barriers that both groups had about the other. I am proud of my "Hybrids" and all is right in the world.

This is a unsolicited public announcement made by the voices in my head and may be politically incorrect but still remain my opinion thank you

~Stormie~ aka DustySandStorm
Re: Opinions please. Getting a smart phone...finally
Board: Computers, iPods, and Other Electronics
Reply to: #799084 by deniserows
Sep 20, 2013 8:07am
Thread Board
Still haven't gotten the smart phone. My biggest problem is all the people looking at their smart phone look dumb. No one seems to have conversations anymore. *off the soap box now*
My old phone got a new battery but the charger busted the other day so i must go to the phone store today. Galaxy S3 looks like the choice as that's all they have in stock. (did i mention i live on a small island in Alaska? lol) ATT is what works here.
Thanx everyone for your opinions. And thanx to those at L & B whose phones i tried.

deniserows
a Galaxy S3
Re: How do I...?
Board: Personal Travelers
Reply to: #805765 by Angel and Demon
Sep 20, 2013 8:10am
Thread Board
i say it again
Its a piece of rubber...its only rubber...seriously! Its only rubber.
Repeat.

deniserows
repetitively
Re: GLG 2014 posted
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Reply to: #806228 by TrailTroll
Sep 20, 2013 8:35am
Thread Board
I sent a message to Dartmoor Dreamer, asking that "GLG" be added to the event title so that everyone knows that is what it is.

TG
LBNA closing? :-) Baby Bear?
Sep 20, 2013 8:35am
Thread Board
What's up? I've been seeing these boxes popping up for the past two days on the NEW box list. One today is here near my home and is marked unknown since about 2004 or so. Just curious, Why Now? and why list a box that is unknown, unless you have plans on renovating it, and why not wait until you do renovate it to actually list it? If it has been renovated, say so, some where on the clues.

Or...have we got a new mystery to embark upon? ;-) As we should know, if we truly are letterboxers of great knowledge (excluding me), or should be, of this hobby, Baby Bear is an elder statesman of our hobby, so to speak..., even I know that.

oops, thought process interuptus...byeeeeee
Survivor? No One? Hellooooo?
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Sep 20, 2013 8:38am
Thread Board
Was it that bad? I watched AT it....js
Re: Opinions please. Getting a smart phone...finally
Board: Computers, iPods, and Other Electronics
Reply to: #806254 by deniserows
Sep 20, 2013 8:44am
Thread Board
I LOVE my Galaxy S3.!
Unlisted letterboxes
Sep 20, 2013 8:48am
Thread Board
I was looking at my found letterboxes logbook and the stamps owners' logbooks and I found a series of letterboxes near me on one of these owners logbook. My question is-why when I do a search I can't pull up the boxes? The owner that I was looking at is not a premium member and they found this series. Can I go find these boxes and then log them when it's hat day? Thanks for any info.
Re: Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Reply to: #806208 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 20, 2013 8:48am
Thread Board
I haven't tried that particular stuff, but I tried another type of sandwich stuff a coupla years back. It's a really, really bad idea. You have to carve really deep before you break through to the other color, so when you're done with the stamp the entire thing is one color except for the few deepest places where blotches of the deeper color show through. No help at all. Worse, heaven forbid the two colors are even the slightest bit different chemically, because with age or temperature or whatever one may expand or shrink more than the other and the whole slab will start to curl up on you.

What would be a good idea is if they'd offer a material that was made of one solid color yet had another color printed on the surface. Hence, the second color is no thicker than a layer of ink you might apply yourself. If you will do an Etsy search for "rubber stamp carving blocks", you will find that someone does offer exactly such a material! It's a bit more expensive than the sweetloveqiner products, though, and IMHO those are pricey enough already.
Reply to: #806209 by Kurious Jo
Sep 20, 2013 8:52am
Thread Board
Not exactly. Speedy-Stamp was the earlier name for Speedy-Carve, both being the good pink stuff. The crumbly white (tan, actually -- we have truly white materials in white PZ Kut and OZ) is called Speedy-Cut. It's speedy, all right -- just a few quick cuts and it'll be in the trash can lickety-split.
Re: Unlisted letterboxes
Reply to: #806261 by gohillysgo
Sep 20, 2013 8:54am
Thread Board
You probably have your own finds, attempts, and plants hidden. When you do a "Location-Based Search" in the "Simple Search" be sure to un-check the boxes to see all the active boxes.