A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #806135 by Webfoot
Sep 19, 2013 11:53pm
Thread Board
Will there be any Speedball nibs involved?
Re: Tablets vs. Smart Phones
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #806200 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 12:32am
Thread Board
{Lemme get this straight: The keyboard has its own battery? And the battery in the keyboard makes the tablet itself run longer? And the keyboard has a USB port that can be used to connect a USB device to the tablet?}

Yeah. I've only used the USB for a thumb drive to transfer files. With the touch screen, there isn't a reason to plug in a mouse. And with the keyboard on it is sufficient for my use.

Here's a link to it:
http://eee.asus.com/en/transformer-infinity/features

But it does not have phone capability . . . well maybe the new ones do. I don't know.
Re: Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Reply to: #806199 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 12:38am
Thread Board
Interesting resource. I noticed the more you buy, the cheaper the shipping gets, but not by much. You gotta order 10 slabs to get the persheet cost down to $6.99 with shipping. I might try some though. Thanks

AB
Sep 20, 2013 1:17am
Thread Board
I asked sweetloveqiner about the random color material vs. the white material. Here is the response:

dear buyer,Thank you for your interests in my item.
the rubber stamp material is all the same,only the color is not the same.

Frankly, I kinda like the color -- but I like the fact that the white comes in bigger pieces more! Bigger blocks means less waste. So next order I'll probably buy a pile of the white stuff.
Reply to: #806207 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 1:30am
Thread Board
I wonder what the sandwich stuff is like to carve? It looked interesting to me. I would be able to see where i cut the rubber stuff out of it. The kids wanted to know what I wanted for X-Mas and now I know.

GH
Distiguishing Pink stuff
Sep 20, 2013 1:45am
Thread Board
Something clicked that brought up a memory from our early carving years. It was probably '05 or so. I bought a less expensive version of pink stuff that was right next to the good stuff on the shelf at Michael's. It was pretty bad - crumbly like the cheap white stuff. I studied the packaging trying to figure out how to know what to buy in the future and discovered the names were different. Speedy Stamp (with the bar code) was good and I think the bad stuff was called Speedy-*Carve*. Of course "craptastic" works too but they don't put that on the packaging. :-)
The craptastic white stuff is called Speedy-Carve too.
So Speedball must have discontinued Speedy Stamp, replacing it with Speedy Carve . . .. ?

Anyway, if these names are the same today, we can ID the pink stuff before buying it. Can anyone confirm to prove this wrong?
Connecticut NW corner news article
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Sep 20, 2013 2:35am
Thread Board
Just a head's up for anyone with boxes nearby, this week's Lakeville Journal had an article about letterboxing, even printing clues taken from the LBNA website. It also was a topic on a local radio station program. Let's hope the publicity is positive.
Re: Connecticut NW corner news article
Reply to: #806210 by wishful thinkin'
Sep 20, 2013 3:41am
Thread Board
I just had to Google that... Found a link to the article, but it only gives the first couple paragraphs and to see the rest you need to be a subscriber. They have a photo of a log book from a box though (and you can see the corner of the tuperwear laying on the ground in the top of the photo.

I kind of wonder of the author is an active letterboxer because of this line:
"When I mention letterboxing to most people, they immediately ask if I mean geocaching."

Makes me think she maybe has conversations all the time about letteboxing, and not just for the sake of writing this one article.

http://www.tricornernews.com/node/31884
Re: When will you arrive at Paris?
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #805804 by Bungalow Boxer
Sep 20, 2013 3:42am
Thread Board
Oops! I'm not getting there until Saturday....

BB
Reply to: #806211 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 3:45am
Thread Board
I fear that the attention on Rush Gatherer's box may hurt the Four Directions Series in Western CT :-(. Though I'm not reading the whole article, so I don't know really what is said.

BB
Sep 20, 2013 4:06am
Thread Board
Seeing as it is from China, who knows what is in it. China tends not to care about environmental or safety issues when it comes to chemicals. This allows them to put out a product much like the ones you loved because they haven't had to change their formula.
Re: Distiguishing Pink stuff
Reply to: #806209 by Kurious Jo
Sep 20, 2013 4:33am
Thread Board
Must have gotten that crumbly white stuff when I went to an art shop I'd never been to before. It was horrid and a waste of money. You are right. They should note the level of crappiness on the labels. Now I had to toss carves after one event that were a snot to carve in the first place because they won't hold up. I have had better luck with oops erasers.
Re: GLG 2014 posted
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Reply to: #806109 by tie dye sue
Sep 20, 2013 4:35am
Thread Board
YAY!!!!
Sep 20, 2013 4:46am
Thread Board
"Craptastic"

yay, I've started a trendy word : )
Sep 20, 2013 4:48am
Thread Board
The craptastic white (now blue) from Speedball is Speedy Cut. The pink was once called Speedy Stamp, and then they changed the name to Speedy Carve. However, the name change was completely independent of the formula change. There is Speedy Carve both good and bad. If you can still find stuff labelled Speedy Stamp, you'll know it's good since its by definition the old formula. But it's been long enough now since that change that you probably won't run across any.
Letterboxing skills to the rescue
Board: Yakking It Up
Sep 20, 2013 4:49am
Thread Board
My son's marching band season started a few weeks ago. Which means long hours on metal bleachers at games and competitions for me. Two weeks in and my back is already starting to hurt. I tried looking for a small stadium cushion, but nothing was small enough to fit into my backpack. (I have to be able to keep everything in the backpack so my hands are free to help move equipment around for the band.)
Then a thought hits me! I could make something... (that's usually a dangerous thought.)
I used my letterpouch making skills to cover an extra-large ziplock bag in black duct tape. Then I slid a cut-to-size foam pad into the bag. Viola! A perfectly sized stadium cushion!
I should market these!
Restricions and Searches
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Sep 20, 2013 5:18am
Thread Board
Is there a way to set your letterbox search to only show when a new restricted box is available to you? Or would you have to "star" every box in your area and run a search excluding them?

Can you tell I'm excited to be 4 away from 100 finds? Woo-hoo! I'm hoping it opens up some new boxes to hunt!
Re: Restrictions and Searches
Reply to: #806221 by NotMyCircus
Sep 20, 2013 5:19am
Thread Board
...and it would help if I used spell-check. UGH!
Re: Restricions and Searches
Sep 20, 2013 5:29am
Thread Board
I don't know the answer to your question. But it sounds like you only want to find restricted boxes and I wonder why. Alot of great boxes don't have restriction. some average boxes have restrictions. restrictions don't necessarily mean a box is better.

I put a restriction of one find on my boxes. I only want letterboxers to be able to search for them. But I don't want a high restriction that makes them less found.
Re: Letterboxing skills to the rescue
Reply to: #806219 by Mn8X
Sep 20, 2013 5:29am
Thread Board
But you'll need a variety of sizes, up to and including space-bag size for some of us.
Re: Letterboxing skills to the rescue
Reply to: #806219 by Mn8X
Sep 20, 2013 5:30am
Thread Board
I'd put a pocket in there and hide a stamp pad and basic letterboxing kit. just in case there's boxes nearby. football games take a very long time if you're not into the sport.
Re: Hunting season in MA
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #806010 by Rocklun
Sep 20, 2013 5:31am
Thread Board
Thanks for posting this, we thought we were going to get killed one day when the shooting was shaking the leaves what felt like very closed to us. Turned out I guess there was a nearby shooting range or something. It's good to wear orange for us and our dogs at this time of the year! Bluegoatz
Sep 20, 2013 5:34am
Thread Board
Here's my suggestion. Create a favorite area search and sort by newest date first. I then restrict my list by adding "and not red tags (for boxes I have no interest in finding)." I also hide my previous finds from the saved search. Save your search. Then when you run it, the newest boxes you haven't reviewed will be at the top of the favorite search. You can also indicate "notify me of all new boxes in this favorite search." Then they can come to you within, say 15 minutes, once a day, once a week, etc. I don't ask for notices because I am already on AQ enough.
Re: GLG 2014 posted
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Reply to: #806109 by tie dye sue
Sep 20, 2013 5:46am
Thread Board
I had a little trouble finding it since it doens't have GLG in the name - here's the listing:
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gEventId=2994
Reply to: #806213 by Bungalow Boxer
Sep 20, 2013 5:49am
Thread Board
I fear that the attention on Rush Gatherer's box may hurt the Four Directions Series in Western CT :-(.

The original posted stated that clues from LBNA were acctually included in the article. Is that series what was acctually in the article? Or are we just assuming from the log book page seen in the photo?

Any I still really am curious if the author of the article is an active letterboxer, or just dabbled enough to write the article. Dang the full story not being available online.
Reply to: #806217 by turkey feathers
Sep 20, 2013 5:58am
Thread Board
yay, I've started a trendy word : )

I decided that curiousity just needed to uncover the origins of that word. A quick search found the earliest used on these boards was back in 2006.

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=58527
Re: This is a first for me.
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #806189 by FloridaFour
Sep 20, 2013 5:58am
Thread Board
I sometimes don't have cards due in a given month. However, I tend to have three or four due in the same month. Often on the same day. Funny how that works out.
Reply to: #806231 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 5:59am
Thread Board
Oh, but prior to you using it a month ago it had not been used since January of 2012.
Reply to: #806223 by mcmartian
Sep 20, 2013 6:00am
Thread Board
That's not really the case. I've found just about all of the boxes in my area and have to drive to either Tampa or Orlando (1 hour either way) to go boxing, so if there are any closer to home, I'd like to know.

It seems that the boxers that planted the majority of the boxes in my county have gone inactive. I'm starting to plant also, but love to hit the trails!
Reply to: #806227 by speedsquare
Sep 20, 2013 6:01am
Thread Board
Thank you!