Search

Read Messages

Re: Heat transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802209 by nosox
Sep 3, 2013 2:23am
Thread Board
Heat transfer video on youtube

Thank you !!!!!! I also watched the other videos and they were all very helpful. I enjoyed the carving video with the gouge nibs and there was one using the knife. The carvers sure made it look easy. I'm sure with practice it will become easier. I recommend the new carvers watch this before they start.

GH
Re: L&B XV Superstars
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #802208 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Sep 3, 2013 4:01am
Thread Board
Beautifully said, Bubba :-)
Re: Heat transfer
Reply to: #802206 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 4:32am
Thread Board
I do nothing but the heat transfer. Using a #2 pencil works much better than ink or printer ink. Trace over your image with a pencil. Then with a lowest iron setting, using the tip of the iron, iron the transfer on to the pink stuff. You don't have to iron to much. If you hold the paper to the pink stuff you can lift the corner and check if you have ironed it enough. If not just use the tip again in the areas that need it.

Good luck and happy carving.
Re: We're splitting up!
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #802175 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Sep 3, 2013 4:49am
Thread Board
ouch!! That hurt!

Sorry! I didn't mean to insult any Minnesotans lurking on this board. And I wasn't talking about the whole state. I only meant the immediate Northfield area. There is hardly anything planted there. And one box we tried to find last year, "Escape from Dundas," had transformed into a geocache--the box was full of trinkets and there was no stamp. On the other hand, we had a great time boxing at Ritter Farm Park in Lakeville, north of Northfield a ways. I've made three visits to Minnesota now, and I've loved everything I've seen of the state and the people.

BNP doesn't have a car. St. Olaf discourages cars, and it's not like we happen to have a spare one lying around here. And I'm thinking BNP might be so busy with school that there won't be much time for carving. We'll see.
Reply to: #802166 by Don't Panic
Sep 3, 2013 4:50am
Thread Board
Ok now I have 2 earworms running through my head. Make it stop!

Sweet Caroline...
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #802178 by FORAYCH
Sep 3, 2013 5:10am
Thread Board
i like you!!!

~tigs (*walking quietly around the Wolf*)

by the way, if you strap BACON to any part of your body, that will help keep her attention.
Re: Lyme PT 2
Reply to: #802188 by Prince Igor
Sep 3, 2013 5:23am
Thread Board
An ELISA and/or Western Blot test for Lyme's could be quite expensive.

And they may or may not show chronic Lyme. The problem is that the Lyme virus is like the AIDS virus: it kills the T-cells (that's shorthand, but it works) that make the antibodies that fight against it. It also hides itself inside organs, and doesn't always float around in your bloodstream. So, these two tests often give false negatives. i've had 2 negative Western Blot tests, including the one where the doctor was absolutely convinced that, clinically, i had active Lyme AND Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Get to a Lyme literate doctor.

~tigs
Re: Distance attributes
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #802214 by Kirbert
Sep 3, 2013 5:23am
Thread Board
At the top of a slope covered with 4 foot boulders

Was it in Stone Mountain, because sounds like one I spent a good 45 risky minutes of my life- not finding, by myself!

It was an ammo can, and I still couldn't find the darn thing.
Reply to: #802159 by Dawnkey
Sep 3, 2013 5:41am
Thread Board
Aaaahh!! This is so embarrasing but I had a short lived knickname of Dawnkey!! Hahaha!
My mom made me wear my house key around my neck so I wouldnt loose it. Kids are so wonderfully sweet! Are they not?
~cc
Re: Back to local boxing
Board: State: Washington
Reply to: #802213 by Aquamarine
Sep 3, 2013 5:42am
Thread Board
Many hugs & many prayers for you. What a challenging time in your life. Perhaps it can turn into an unexpected blessing with the passage of time.

Glad to hear that you are getting out to enjoy the trails & the beauty of nature. I think there is a peace that it brings to our spirits.

Keep taking one step at a time....
bluebirdlover
long term care
Board: Letterboxing with Disabilities
Sep 3, 2013 5:46am
Thread Board
Today we make our stamps and decorate our logbooks.
Re: Thin lines?
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 3, 2013 5:51am
Thread Board
I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)
Re: Found a weird cylinder with paper inside - what is it?
Reply to: #802095 by WiseOldOwl
Sep 3, 2013 5:52am
Thread Board
I'm curious--what would you consider to be the "wrong type" for letterboxing?

People who don't think Wassa is funny might have a difficult time in this hobby. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Distance attributes
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #802229 by FloridaFour
Sep 3, 2013 5:56am
Thread Board
I like your new signature picture.
Re: @ L&B
Board: Letterboxing: The Game
Reply to: #799961 by Aiphid
Sep 3, 2013 5:58am
Thread Board
I'll have a copy of the game at L&B.

I got to play! I got to play! =)

I don't want to embarrass the others I played with by saying who won (except that it wasn't Aiphid!), but I am so incredibly impressed! Lots of fun once you get the hang of it. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Sep 3, 2013 6:06am
Thread Board
male menopause. it happens. how ugly for you and i'm so sad it did. And now you are in fighting form and Stand Up Paddleboarding and all!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Box on!

~tigs
getting ready for a new furnace
Board: Home Improvement
Sep 3, 2013 6:07am
Board
My daughter, grandkids, and my mom come to visit this weekend. So we have lots of plans. Letterboxing with the grandkids Friday night and moving everthing away from the furnace, Popcorn Days in Hamburg on Saturday, Pick apples and pears for Great Grandma Saturday evening and family reunion on Sunday. Monday after work call the heating guy to get the new furnace.

GH
Re: @ L&B
Board: Letterboxing: The Game
Reply to: #802236 by Green Tortuga
Sep 3, 2013 6:08am
Thread Board
I have a traveling set if someone would like it for their event contact me. I'm thinking we could move that set around so more people can try it. :)
Re: Boxes in Trussville
Board: State: Alabama
Reply to: #802190 by Scout MOM
Sep 3, 2013 6:11am
Thread Board
Absolutely! We'll let ya know.
Sep 3, 2013 6:13am
Thread Board
Superbly written!

On our ride back to WV, through fits of hysterical laughter as we reminisced about L&B, we talked about what a wonderful community this is. I'm happy to be a part of it.

You guys totally rocked the planning. Everything went off without a hitch and was perfectly executed. Truly the best event ever, one with everlasting memories. Thank you thank you thank you to you all!

Now, I'm off to face the sad reality of life back home from letterboxing summer camp. I have a Maid-Rite costume to store for the next event!
Sep 3, 2013 6:20am
Thread Board
Pink thongs and Wassa heads, L&B XV had everything.
The only thing I forgot to do was to take off Tuesday from work.
I'm so happy-tired.
Re: Thin lines?
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 3, 2013 6:50am
Thread Board
I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

Ah, the white "stuff"...we bought that once because it was cheaper. In this case, we got what we paid for. Super crumbly and difficult to make intricate cuts on. One thing that we found did help when finer carving had to happen was putting it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up. It helped stop the crumble, somewhat.

L&S
Re: Found a weird cylinder with paper inside - what is it?
Reply to: #802234 by Green Tortuga
Sep 3, 2013 7:13am
Thread Board
People who don't think Wassa is funny might have a difficult time in this hobby.

I suspect people who DO think that miscreant Wassa is funny might have a difficult time functioning in polite society.
OMG
Board: State: North Carolina
Sep 3, 2013 7:29am
Thread Board
I think I just passed out! 13 hrs and no posts on here? Is everyone ok? Was there a major event I missed?
Re: Labor Day done right
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #802145 by Dusty Trail
Sep 3, 2013 7:35am
Thread Board
Oh i know where you are coming from about the bugs! I had to keep re applying bug spray through out the day. It was so humid, a bandaid wouldn't stay on. Ha ha!
Re: OMG
Reply to: #802257 by MetalKnit
Sep 3, 2013 7:45am
Thread Board
yes. it was called L & B.

~tigs
Sep 3, 2013 7:46am
Thread Board
I just had a tear in my eye.......
Sep 3, 2013 7:47am
Thread Board
I am nearby if you need to chat or need a partner for letterboxing.
Re: OMG
Reply to: #802259 by tiggermama
Sep 3, 2013 7:55am
Thread Board
L&B and the event in VA went on over the weekend. I suspect there are a lot of people recovering today.

It was just a crazy weekend hunting a stolen purse for me (lots of wasted time), but at least it ended up well and showed up in the end.
Missing Logbook Pages, really?
Sep 3, 2013 7:56am
Thread Board
Someone ripped pages out of one of my log books. I had decorated about every 3rd or 4thpage with scrapbooked clippings from a comic book. Several pages are now torn out, including pages I have to assume had siggy stamps due to people logging finds and no stamps from them.

Really? Who in this hobby would do that?

Oh, and including pages with my stamp and my sons stamp.

--Ringo