A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802094 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 5:12pm
Thread Board
Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse?

Yes, I did seem to have left that part out, didn't I?
I guess that would be a possibility IF I brought it with me. Thankfully, it will be safely elsewhere...
Re: The movie - spoilers
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #802046 by koalacat
Sep 2, 2013 5:17pm
Thread Board
I haven't watched Torchwood, yet.

When you do, don't get too attached to ANYONE. Well, you already know Jack can't die, but other than that...

TG
Labor Day done right
Board: State: Tennessee
Sep 2, 2013 5:23pm
Thread Board
I had an awesome day letter boxing in the 82% humidity of Knoxville. Then to my surprise, there were letter boxes that i did not remeber seeing.Though confused, I am pleasantly thrilled!
Re: NC Waterfalls
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #802001 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 5:24pm
Thread Board
when do we leave?

that was my first thought - and then i read the rest of message. i also found another mountain for us to get lost on. there's an noydb box on it. ya know, in case you don't have a job to go to, or something. . .

~tigs
Re: Disneyland suggestions
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #802007 by The Blue Rose Gang
Sep 2, 2013 5:31pm
Thread Board
we have stayed at the Tropicana and. . . i can't remember but another one right there on that strip. All of them are pretty much the same: just off Disney property, basically pretty nice, not nearly as expensive as the Disney brand (which means "reasonable" although this is CA reasonable we're talking here -not, say, VT reasonable). Most of them are pretty much within walking distance of both of the parks that make up Disneyland, which is a good thing, as you're going to be hoofing it around for most of your visit. Candy Cane Inn is one of the nicer ones, as it's one of the closer ones to the entrance. Good job getting in there.

What you may have surmised from my trailname is that my other obsession is Disney. i grew up on Disneyland, got married at Disney World, and my adult children are thinking of forming a 12 step program for survivors of a Disney childhood. My silverware is Disney.

Now, onto the actual parks: do you need a chaplain? a guide? i do both.

~tigs
Reply to: #802001 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 5:37pm
Thread Board
I just got a map at the REI that has over 300 NC waterfalls on it!! Wooohooo!!

Man, I am missing so much good stuff! 8^(

PS We will have a video to share tomorrow from some of yesterday's good stuff. LOL.
Re: Movie fan game with our movie stars
Reply to: #801993 by Celtic Roots
Sep 2, 2013 5:38pm
Thread Board
I have a friend in Connecticut (Wilton) that I think mentioned that Kyra Sedgewick's parents in CT. He is in the theater business - the technical side.
Just joined
Board: Bitterroot Boxes
Sep 2, 2013 5:42pm
Thread Board
I was just in AQ recording some finds and thought I'd peek around a bit... great idea Koshka! I've always just looked at the Boards for Montana, but a Bitterroot group makes even more sense!
Reply to: #802109 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 5:42pm
Thread Board
Tigs - Are they really that much different in price?

Granted I'm not that familiar with DL hotels but I'd say the DW hotels (on site vs off site) can be comparable in price. Specially if you figure your time waiting for buses and the extra 'magical hours' that you only get when staying on site. I always say if your trip is solely for Disney World then stay on site. If you plan to do others stuff and Disney for only one or two days out of your trip then stay someplace else. (you can't beat free brk like at some of the other off site places).

Check this site out www.allears.net

Team Mac
Reply to: #802107 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 5:45pm
Thread Board
i also found another mountain for us to get lost on. there's an noydb box on it.

And I bet there are waterfalls near by!! We could do both!!!

Stooooopid JOB! If I could make money by cashing in the steps on my pedometer, I think I'd have it made!!
Reply to: #802112 by RDHG
Sep 2, 2013 5:45pm
Thread Board
We will have a video to share tomorrow from some of yesterday's good stuff.

Excellent!! Something to look forward to other than just going back to work tomorrow! :P
Re: Drive-by Nightbox?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #801784 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 5:46pm
Thread Board
nosox has one near her house.

She does? *goes to look at her logbook*
Re: California State Hwy1
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #801883 by Raven
Sep 2, 2013 5:47pm
Thread Board
you can have a natural disaster of choice?

really?

i pick "overcome by an invasion of butterflies"

~tigs
Re: GOOFY GIRL!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #802080 by 20 Questions
Sep 2, 2013 5:47pm
Thread Board
grabbed a couple of boxes!
Reply to: #802007 by The Blue Rose Gang
Sep 2, 2013 5:49pm
Thread Board
We liked the Castle Inn and Suites when the kids were little. They're relatively inexpensive and we liked the kitchenette option to save money on meals.
Reply to: #802115 by Team Mac
Sep 2, 2013 6:03pm
Thread Board
It's a completely different world at DisneyLAND than at DisneyWORLD.

At DW, you're off in a 46 mile section of FL where you are at the mercy of DW hotels and the local "good neighbor" hotels so a lot of the stuff is all around the same price. Everyone is sort of competing for the same crowd. Frankly, if you're going to do Disney WORLD, i always recommend staying on property, if only for the transportation. It's soooo much easier. And yes, the meal plan at DW is WORTH IT.

At DL, we're talking two parks in the middle of Anaheim, surrounded by "city." The three hotels on Disney property are outrageously expensive, and it's not really all that much of a treat, really. The "good neighbor" hotels are really REALLY close to the parks - as in, 300 ft further down the sidewalk (ok, not quite that close -maybe 2 whole blocks, but you get the idea). And their prices are much MUCH more reasonable. As in, the difference is $150-400/night more reasonable, depending on the season, and what kind of a package you can get. And at DL, the meal plan is not worth it, so much. The city is right there. The restaurants of the city (Denny's, IHOP, TGIFriday's -i can't remember all of them right now but a bunch of basic chains) are all right there as well as some basic groceries. We plan breakfast in the rooms, a big lunch and then something quick not Disney. On the other hand, if you want to immerse yourself completely in the Disney experience and it's your first time, do the Standard Dining Plan. It's the cheapest way to eat Disney. Really. We've done the comparison and you cannot eat at Disney for cheaper (well, if you're an omnivore. If you're vegan or vegetarian, you might have a struggle, but don't give up! Disney does food allergies and special diets really well).

So, that's part of my take on this. i am, um. . . a little obsessed. i should be quite now. . .

~tigs
Re: Comments on LBs
Reply to: #801920 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 6:08pm
Thread Board
So, just exactly what good could I have said about that box?

you were first finder???

~tigs
Re: Faneuil hall boxes
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #802099 by Bumble
Sep 2, 2013 6:24pm
Thread Board
It appears to me that this box may have gone missing - but I think it may still be there. Here's the letterboxing.org listing -- LbNA # 17331 (ARCHIVED)
Ellen
Re: Lyme PT 2
Reply to: #802065 by airstream dreams
Sep 2, 2013 6:27pm
Thread Board
you need to go to a Lyme-aware doctor, ASD. i got lots and lots of resistance from my regular doctor as well, and it wasn't until i got to a Lyme-literate doctor that i got real help.

If you go to www.ilads.org, you can read about Lyme and its coinfections, also get a list of symptoms. Another good website is at LymePA.org.

Here's an interesting fact: only about 50% of the people infected with Lyme get the rash - and that's only for the kind of Lyme disease that Majical is talking about. There are 3 other coinfections that don't cause a rash and make you just as sick.

My major symptoms were fatigue, dizziness, arthritis-like pain so bad they thought i had RA(except the meds for that made me sicker), stiff neck, swollen joints in hands/feet, weakness in hands that comes and goes, double/blurry vision, sensitivity to light and sound, bone pain, gait disturbance/increasing clumsiness (yes, even more than usual), headaches, seizures, chest pains, stabbing muscle pains, sore feet -especially in the morning and memory problems.

That's a weird collection of things - and it got me dianosed with lots of stuff and called crazy. There are even more - go check out the list.

~tigs (luckily getting better)
Re: Distance attributes
Reply to: #802036 by Dizzy
Sep 2, 2013 6:29pm
Thread Board
I chose "walk" because anyone that would want a "hike" would scoff at a mile and a half total.

The problem with that kind of thinking is that anyone who really wants a walk will scoff at a hike that is so strenuous. Now the people who want walks won't do your box because it's too much for them, and those who want a real hike won't do your box because it's listed as a walk.

It's generally best to use icons like they're intended to be used and explain any quirks in the clues.

For people who aren't sure what to list their hike difficulty as, I created a hike type calculator you can try. I'm a little hesitant to really promote it because I'd rather people just use a little common sense (and I hardly think this calculator is foolproof), but for those who aren't sure what to do, this might help get you started.

-- Ryan
Re: Lyme PT 2
Reply to: #802128 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 6:30pm
Thread Board
and called crazy

Pssst... I don't think you can blame this on your Lyme.
Just sayin'...
i got to go boxing on my AQVErsary!!!
Sep 2, 2013 6:31pm
Thread Board
WOo hoo they were both there!!!

GG
Reply to: #802088 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 6:32pm
Thread Board
well, i'll give you a lesson too, and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent. how's about just a nice cuppa tea, and a little walk, a carving lesson, and we call it good?

how's that Boy o' yours?

~tigs
Re: i got to go boxing on my AQVErsary!!!
Reply to: #802133 by Goofy girl
Sep 2, 2013 6:32pm
Thread Board
glad you had fun!
Reply to: #801974 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 6:33pm
Thread Board
Okay, I missed that on the first one. Ryan should put that on all of them.

You can edit the wiki help entries. They're designed so people can edit and improve the entries. =)

As for walks.... the definition I provided does say: "A walk is something requires 1 to 2 miles of hiking, which would take most people between 30 to 60 minutes to find and complete." To me, getting back to your starting point is required to "complete" the hike. =)

But if you want to edit the entries to explicitly state that you have to return to your starting point, that's okay by me! Anyone with an account can add and edit these help pages, though. Make AQ a better place--take advantage of that feature! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #801974 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 6:36pm
Thread Board
I figure that you can't ever give too much info. We scoped out an area today where I would like to plant a series of boxes. The first 1-1/2 miles was relatively mild, with a few dips, but the last section (half mile) got narrow with a lot of ankle turning rocks. Round trip took us 2 hours, but I was scoping out the area, stopped to take some scenic photos, peeked into some hollowed out logs, found a geocache in a very obvious spot, moved over to let mountain cyclists go by, etc.

I definitely will have in my clues info about the terrain and mileage, and probably give an estimated time (no stops) so people get an idea of their time commitment for this longer search. They will have to factor in their own 'stamp & looking at the log book' time, since everyone is different. I am more of a 'enjoy the journey' type, while &J is a 'get to the destination' type!

J
Re: Good by Mrs. Peacock and thank you
Reply to: #802049 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 6:40pm
Thread Board
But about --10%-- 5% of remakes actually work. Look at "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" vs "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan".

I'm pretty sure that Star Trek II was a sequel, not a remake. =)

-- Ryan
Re: i got to go boxing on my AQVErsary!!!
Reply to: #802133 by Goofy girl
Sep 2, 2013 6:52pm
Thread Board
EXCELLENT!!! Confetti all around! Glad you had a nice one!
Re: Labor Day done right
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #802106 by Keri Yokey
Sep 2, 2013 6:53pm
Thread Board
We spent Labor day doing the same thing here in Nashville!
It was real fun even with the humidity and mosquitoes :)
Reply to: #802135 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 6:54pm
Thread Board
and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent.

Well, I don't think it's supposed to be but...

Wolf *who likes to apply Calvin Ball "rules" to all games*