A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #801970 by Kelsung
Sep 2, 2013 11:15am
Thread Board
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving.

Crap. That must be my problem!! I can't seem to give up the improvising!
Re: NC Waterfalls
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #802002 by wassamatta u
Sep 2, 2013 11:17am
Thread Board
Lol! You beat Knit Wit to it!!
Stoooopid grammar police!
Re: Movie fan game with our movie stars
Reply to: #801980 by Colorful Caterpillars
Sep 2, 2013 11:18am
Thread Board
Sorry about that - Internet Movie Database.
Re: Sharpening Tools
Board: Tools
Reply to: #801994 by dancingpecan
Sep 2, 2013 11:21am
Thread Board
Thanks!
Disneyland suggestions
Board: Yakking It Up
Sep 2, 2013 11:23am
Thread Board
I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times, but, I'm thinking of a quick trip to Disneyland. I was looking for a hotel, and found the Candy Cane Inn. It looks like it will work nicely for us. Anyone been there and has a review? Any place else to recommend? Thanks for all your suggestions!!
Re: Sharpening Tools
Board: Tools
Reply to: #802006 by The Flip Flopper
Sep 2, 2013 11:29am
Thread Board
No problem. If you have any speedball tools, it would probably be best to start with them, because the blades are replaceable, and speedball gouges are still available. If, after reading Kirbert's page, you still need any help, feel free to AQmail me.
Re: Drive-by Nightbox?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #801963 by Basketcase1
Sep 2, 2013 11:31am
Thread Board
On that same page, look to the right. There are other colors available.

Thanks. I did see those others as well and noticed that they are less expensive but *sigh* I really like the description of the earth toned ones: "Stealth Brown FireTacks hide your trails completely during the day, but reflects amber orange at night." What to do? What to do?

CTEE
Re: Drive-by Nightbox?
Reply to: #802009 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 11:42am
Thread Board
Variety pack?
Re: Best way to order stuff from the States?
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #801928 by Jiggs
Sep 2, 2013 11:45am
Thread Board
We buy ours while visiting our letterboxing daughter-in-law in Colorado. Denver is a hot bed of boxers so you can find what you need pretty easily
New series in Martinsburg WV
Board: Region: Mid-Atlantic
Sep 2, 2013 11:45am
Thread Board
Planted a seven box series today in Martinsburg.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=226679
New boxes in Martinsburg WV
Board: State: West Virginia
Sep 2, 2013 11:46am
Board
New seven box series in Martinsburg planted today.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=226679
Any interest in a spring event in Martinsburg WV
Sep 2, 2013 11:49am
Thread Board
Would anyone be interested in a spring boxing event in the eastern panhandle of WV. Would want to due in in March or earl April. Looking at the spring there aren't any east coast events from Jan-April.
Reply to: #802003 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 11:51am
Thread Board
This thread relates to something I need advice on. I recently started carving using pink stuff and Speedball gouges. My challenge seems to be getting the lines deep enough the first time so that I don't have to go back over them because when I go back over them they get raggedy. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm doing letters or details, a second pass turns it into a mess. I actually prefer using the #2 for carving because it seems to respond more smoothly for me but I'm concerned I'll gouge too deeply/widely which is why I feel I need to make a second pass.

For the second pass I've tried both the #2 and the #1 but have the same icky results. I really think I can't follow the same line twice! I hope this makes sense and FWIW I am not someone who normally does much drawing though I do other visual arts such as paper folding so feel that my dexterity is adequate but visual/spatial skills may not be as well developed. I do wear reading glasses. I have not tried additional magnification. Do I just need more practice?

Thanks for listening
CTEE
Re: Any interest in a spring event in Martinsburg WV
Reply to: #802016 by IrishRef
Sep 2, 2013 11:54am
Thread Board
Post it, and we will come - schedule permitting.
I think a group of Marylanders were planning a late February event...
Re: Comments on LBs
Reply to: #801797 by Spoiled Rotten
Sep 2, 2013 11:54am
Thread Board
I get a lot more finders then comments. That must mean one thing. I did think was was not to bad of a carver.....

That's the wrong attitude to have about a lack of comments. It's an incorrect assumption your part. Not making a comment is not a statement about the carve or anything else about the box.

Comments are great but they are an option that haven't even always been a feature of AQ. No one should ever be made to feel guilty about not making them or obligated to make them.

MM
Re: The movie - spoilers
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #801905 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 12:02pm
Thread Board
It was also the first Doctor Who to have Hollywood quality special effects. I'll have to find a way to watch it again.

That was in part why i wanted to watch it. So far of the classic episodes, I watched Pyramids of Mars with the Fourth Doctor. Not sure if it was just the effects, the setting, or if it was more, but it did not hook me like the modern ones.

It is hard to say if the movie would have hooked me back then. We, or maybe I, watched the weird Roseanne finale. It wasn't until the last decade that I noticed that I really like time travel in my stories

I would like to see the Doctor travel with some companions from America or Australia. What about a Canadian companion, eh?

I know he has had American companions, although at least two were from the UK playing American; John Barrowman and one of the Seventh Doctor's companions. Then there are the two in the movie.

The Doctor also had an Australian Companion - Kylie Minogue (in one of the worst episodes of the current show, imo).
Re: NC Waterfalls
Reply to: #802001 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 12:07pm
Thread Board
There is an online map that has those, too. Though I wonder if it is that many.

koalacat, likes waterfalls, big and the small waterfall ;)
Reply to: #802021 by koalacat
Sep 2, 2013 12:09pm
Thread Board
I'm still watching the shows on PBS so I'm only up to series 6. I haven't seen the Australian companion yet. I didn't count Captain Jack though because even though he's got an American accent he was picked up in England.
Reply to: #802017 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 12:11pm
Thread Board
Here are some great carving tips from nosox that I had bookmarked. The first one is so true - make your first cut your best cut!
Reply to: #802017 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 12:12pm
Thread Board
I think this is a material defect of the pink stuff. I only noticed this problem after the formula was changed and shortly thereafter other folks on the boards starting complaining about it. Up until that time, my only experience had been with pink, so it really was obvious. The OZ takes more physical effort, but will hold your lines better, at least in my experience.
Reply to: #802025 by Wry Me
Sep 2, 2013 12:35pm
Thread Board
The OZ takes more physical effort, but will hold your lines better, at least in my experience.

I agree with this - the pink, even the good pink, is too soft to go back over a thin edge. OZ is just enough firmer that I can shave really tiny edges from an already carved area. Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!!
Re: Any interest in a spring event in Martinsburg WV
Reply to: #802019 by paper trail
Sep 2, 2013 12:39pm
Thread Board
I think a group of Marylanders were planning a late February event...

And it is posted and open to sign up! Presidential Trivia

CTEE
Reply to: #802027 by Wise Wanderer
Sep 2, 2013 12:54pm
Thread Board
Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!!

I agree with you but mine haven't gotten enough use yet to be dulled...LOL

CTEE
Re: GOOFY GIRL!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #801919 by Raven
Sep 2, 2013 12:58pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day!!!!!!
Reply to: #802023 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 1:01pm
Thread Board
I'm only up to series 6. I haven't seen the Australian companion yet. I didn't count Captain Jack

Kylie Minogue is with the Tenth Doctor during a Christmas special.
February Event in Maryland
Board: State: Maryland
Sep 2, 2013 1:10pm
Thread Board
Hope you can join us for a patriotic salute to our presidents at the Presidential Trivia event on February 23, 2014 in Bladensburg, MD (just east of DC on the Anacostia River)
Re: Distance attributes
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #801974 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 1:20pm
Thread Board
It is about 2/3 miles (one way) from the suggested parking with about 500 feet of elevation gain.

I have a box that's about 3/4 mile (one way) with a steep climb and I chose "walk" because anyone that would want a "hike" would scoff at a mile and a half total. But I did note that it is quite steep. You might want to make a note about the elevation gain. There are days that I can do a couple of miles no problem on flat or semi-flat surface but may not be able to do 500 feet of elevation gain.
Re: Happy 8th AQversary!
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #801577 by mudflinginfools
Sep 2, 2013 1:23pm
Thread Board
Happy Cake day! May you have many more miles to hike and stamps to find -- or maybe a few rides in a golf cart -- in the net 8 years and beyond! You are awesome boxers and friends!
Re: BotW
Reply to: #801898 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 1:42pm
Thread Board
Hey Jason! I gave this box a 5 also (can you believe it ?) lol

While hiking awhile back The Red Cyclone and talked about the box ratings and he was surprised at some boxes that I thought was not 5's, he found out that I am strict when it comes to giving 5's.

The box of the week is an excellent box on all accounts. Congrats Rottie Love.
Reply to: #802021 by koalacat
Sep 2, 2013 1:43pm
Thread Board
The Doctor also had an Australian Companion - Kylie Minogue (in one of the worst episodes of the current show, imo).

Ahhhh, but that episode finally allowed the Doctor to say "Allons-y, Alonso!" :) And, of course, let to the Doctor introducing Alonso to Jack when Jack was in a really bad person place after Torchwood: Children of Earth.

TG