A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: RIP Staedtler 1V
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #801896 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 12:19am
Thread Board
We're concerned about what the new carvers will be buying, right?

Are we? That survey was in response to FORAYCH's question, but at one time I was trying to find out what experienced carvers would be willing to pay for a top-notch tool. The problem was that the Staedtler 1V -- a top-notch tool -- was going away, and it appears that anything nearly as good will probably be based on a woodcutting tool and hence will be considerably more expensive. Webfoot is balking because she believes that the cost of such a tool needs to be in line with what the Staedtler was -- but she can't find anything that fits the bill. I'm suggesting that experienced carvers would be willing to pay more for a truly excellent tool, and hence she should be looking at woodcutting tools.

But if we're talking beginners, that's another issue. I agree, cost is a major factor -- but the Speedball lino cutter set fills the bill nicely.
Re: California State Hwy1
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #801873 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 12:26am
Thread Board
I have a box planted along it in Maine!
Re: Marvy Markers...imposters?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #801884 by FloridaFour
Sep 2, 2013 12:37am
Thread Board
I've tried American Crafts, and those are better than Marveys.

My Marveys all dried up, and the tips are frayed, but American Crafts, which I got for $5 for 6 markers are way better.

Where'd you buy them?
Re: Drive-by Nightbox?
Reply to: #801785 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 12:39am
Thread Board
I've actually hidden several letterboxes in guardrails! I actually had one go missing because the entire guardrail was ripped out and replaced with a newer design guardrail -- so I promptly planted a new box in that one!

The way the end of a guardrail is protected seems to change. Waaaay back in the day, they would twist 90 degrees and turn down into the ground. Hence, any out-of-control car that hits the end would be launched into the air and possibly back onto the highway. Well, that's no good, so then they just curled the end into a loop. Wouldn't wanna hit that. Then they went with a bigger loop -- still wouldn't wanna hit it, but perhaps the point is that they can put a great big reflector on the end so you'll see it and try not to hit it. Then there are some where they get carried away and build an entire collapsible structure into the last several posts.

The ones that are great for hiding boxes are the ones with the large loop. Rather than form the loop out of the guardrail itself, it's a separate piece that bolts on. In between the flat portion of the loop and the end of the W cross-section rail there is formed a little compartment that a small box can be slid into and you can't even see it, you have to feel around for it. Regular silver duct tape makes remarkably good camo, although I personally haven't done that yet, I've just found a couple like that.
Re: Comments on LBs
Reply to: #801788 by Cyclonic
Sep 2, 2013 12:41am
Thread Board
So, when you tell Mama Wolf that her boxes suck, you're putting yourself in the same league as the Founding Fathers?
Re: Movie fan game with our movie stars
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #801901 by koalacat
Sep 2, 2013 12:43am
Thread Board
And after all that he still couldn't keep himself out of trouble and just slink out of the limelight. One of my best friends used to vacation with him and some friends. I used to tease her cuz she's blonde and I'd tell her to make sure she locks her bedroom door at night because of it. I'm so tacky.
Reply to: #801798 by Wry Me
Sep 2, 2013 12:47am
Thread Board
Any fire tacks reflect light right back at the source. That means that to see them, you really need to hold your flashlight against the side of your head -- regardless how high the tack is mounted.

Just the same, I recommend higher than eye level -- about as high as you can reach, actually. Any noxer that happens to be rummaging around out there in the woods with a flashlight is more'n likely to be pointing that flashlight at the ground 95% of the time. If you're lucky, he'll never notice the reflector trail. Plus, they're less likely to get obstructed by undergrowth when they're up high.
Reply to: #801845 by Penfeather
Sep 2, 2013 12:50am
Thread Board
I'll say something good about the letterbox, because there's always SOMETHING good to say.

Ooooh, I gotta beg to differ there! There have been a couple of times when the best thing I coulda said would have been "Thanks for showing me just how s#*@ty a letterbox can get!"
GOOFY GIRL!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Sep 2, 2013 12:52am
Thread Board
It's time for you to sit back and have some cake and get some confetti thrown your way!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::Happy AQversary to you!!::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ok, now who's gonna clean this place up?
Reply to: #801845 by Penfeather
Sep 2, 2013 12:58am
Thread Board
OK, lemme see if I can describe this example without pointing fingers: Box was in Florida but the clues said it was in Georgia. When asked about that, the owner said "I know it's in Florida, but it's close to Georgia so I put that so finders would know where it was." Box contained several small store-bought stamps of a religious nature. Box was a tattered container that never dreamed of being watertight, so everything was soaked. Box wasn't actually hidden, it was just set on the grass behind a small rock -- and about ten feet from a well-hidden geocache. That, combined with the Florida/Georgia thing, meant it was found by dozens of geocachers but no letterboxers -- until a geocacher I know told me about it.

So, just exactly what good could I have said about that box?
Re: Found a weird cylinder with paper inside - what is it?
Reply to: #801859 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 1:02am
Thread Board
I have YET to hear about a geocache trashed by a letterboxer.

That's because of the fundamental difference in the games. When a letterboxer finds a geocache, he might use one of the trade items to stamp an improvised image into his log book, but that doesn't harm the geocache one bit. When a geocacher finds a letterbox, he takes the stamp and leaves a McToy in trade. Box ruint.
Re: Is there such a thing as a Letterbox App?
Reply to: #801863 by Team Mac
Sep 2, 2013 2:11am
Thread Board
I use clue tracker on my iPhone. Love it!! I have my 16 yr old with a permit drive us around and find all the drive bys. Win for both of us :)
Reply to: #801917 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 3:08am
Thread Board
That means that to see them, you really need to hold your flashlight against the side of your head

That wasn't my experience with the flat round ones. I am formerly much too cool to walk the trails like an uber-dork with my flashlight up by my ears. Ahem. We just shot from the hip, as it were.

I don't know about any of the other types, either. I agree that it's best to place them higher up to avoid foliage and casual observation on the trail. I didn't much care for the orange ones, either. They were way too visible in daylight.
Reply to: #801920 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 4:09am
Thread Board

It wasn't near a dumpster in a seedy part of town. That's always a good thing ;)
Re: Found a weird cylinder with paper inside - what is it?
Reply to: #794602 by Boxer Lover47
Sep 2, 2013 4:10am
Thread Board
I once found a piece of T-bone in place of the stamp. Inked up image is in my logbook.

One of those tiny rubber fake worms. It inked up pretty well, and it WAS rubber.

AB
Reply to: #801876 by Gypsy Fiddler
Sep 2, 2013 4:34am
Thread Board
I like the distressed ones. If you use you yellow next to a black and touch it won't mess your yellow up. Love love them. Now that being said I don't like there ink pads.
Re: Best way to order stuff from the States?
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #801777 by Sillychick
Sep 2, 2013 5:04am
Thread Board
We use fellow American LBers that we know as a shipping address, then pick up the stuff when we visit them.

Jiggs
Reply to: #801920 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 5:04am
Thread Board

The old default--"Thanks for the plant!"--which is basically meaningless.
Re: Which movies do you want to share with your kids?
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #800445 by RingoH
Sep 2, 2013 5:10am
Thread Board
I LOVE Sleeping Beauty! They were bored to tears at the beginning and wouldn't watch the rest. Then again, they are very young and get scared easily, so it might be too much for them (Maleficent is indeed ultimate evil!). We love Beauty and the Beast too, and have seen it live a few times too, which the kids loved. Never on IMAX though, I bet it was amazing. My husband has seen Beauty and the Beast a record number of times (a mutual friend from long ago dragged him every day it was in the theaters!) so even he sings along.

LOVE Princess Bride! and I would watch it every chance I got, even on tv. :-) You're right though, Rocky Horror really shouldn't be viewed in home. Just not the same. ;-)
Reply to: #801863 by Team Mac
Sep 2, 2013 5:55am
Thread Board
I just used Box Radar for the first time this past Thursday and be aware that sometimes the box is not where the app says it is. Always look at the clue before you trust the app location. The app showed the box at one Church and the clue was at a different Church.
Reply to: #801931 by SpitFire
Sep 2, 2013 6:01am
Thread Board
locations shown by the app are going to be the same as what is entered on atlasquest or if you have entered a custom location it will show that. so yes, you need to do your research on location just as if you are on line. I try to look through the boxes i'm headed for and enter custom locations so when i'm driving i get closer than city center. However, if on a long road trip, that is not always possible so there will be some that get missed. Not all boxers put in exact locations for their boxes.
Re: BotW
Reply to: #801898 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 6:03am
Thread Board
This is one awesome carved stamp!
Re: Most thankful for?
Reply to: #801442 by Beatfeet
Sep 2, 2013 6:13am
Thread Board
Thanks for the kind words! I am glad your letterbox is still in play! :)
Reply to: #801912 by Raven
Sep 2, 2013 6:19am
Thread Board
Miss C- I got my Marveys from Michaels. They are the Leplume, with 2 ends.
I have heard the ones with one end are better. But since I discovered American Crafts, I will never go back.

Spoiled Rotten- I have Distress markers and American Crafts, the main difference is the color palettes, and the price. Both have that great quality of the colors not contaminating the tips, and I love having the 2 tips sizes. (And if they do contaminate, you just wipe them off) They also both work fantastic as watercolor markers and blend well with water, if you use Bristol paper.

Distress Ink pads are made to react with water and fuzz/blend/bleed. So they stink for letterboxing, but they make cool effects for backgrounds, or if you want your stamp to look aged.
Re: BotW
Reply to: #801898 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 6:21am
Thread Board
I got this box Saturday morning. It is better than a 5. Congratulations Rottie Love!!!
Reply to: #801932 by Baqash
Sep 2, 2013 6:24am
Thread Board
That's the thing with either app, unless the person enters the GPS coordinates as their custom location, you get whatever the person put as the address. Doesn't help much in parks where there are 100 letterboxes hidden!

Also my own boxes never show up. Not sure why, but they don't.

Make sure you load the LBNA boxes, as well!
Re: California State Hwy1
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #801873 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 6:26am
Thread Board
Isn't Highway 1 on the East coast?? i thought it was in Maine?

Maine has a Route 1, which extends all the way to Florida. I live about 5 minutes from it in MA. Not sure what the difference is between a route and a highway. BTW, visited San Diego for the first time this summer, earthquakes or not, the consistently amazing weather is pretty tempting.

Degfam
Reply to: #801937 by FloridaFour
Sep 2, 2013 6:27am
Thread Board
Also my own boxes never show up. Not sure why, but they don't.

Because they are yours.
Re: GOOFY GIRL!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #801919 by Raven
Sep 2, 2013 6:35am
Thread Board
Hehe. Happy day to you, Goofy girl! Hopefully good news and joy will be heading your way. 8^)
Reply to: #801935 by FloridaFour
Sep 2, 2013 6:37am
Thread Board
if you use Bristol paper.

What kind of paper? What is it? Where does it come from? What does it look like?

Distress Ink pads are made to react with water and fuzz/blend/bleed. So they stink for letterboxing, but they make cool effects for backgrounds, or if you want your stamp to look aged.

How do you do this?