Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #79538 by Ish
Mar 20, 2007 10:07am
Thread Board
Ooo I like both those ideas, I fear some car rug unpicking is going to happen!

YT
Re: re: formerly new boards... now: I'm hooked!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #79585 by judithandsparky
Mar 20, 2007 10:09am
Thread Board
I've got one in a military foot locker somewhere in the US. Won't say where--that might spoil the surprise. ;)

daelphinus
Re: Torn
Board: Postals
Reply to: #79409 by MoWizLiz
Mar 20, 2007 10:12am
Thread Board
Quote In my first 12, 4 went missing - mostly due to my inexperience in how to keep track and what was expected of me.

May I ask, as a newbie, what you believe you could have done differently to keep those four from going missing?
Re: Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #79538 by Ish
Mar 20, 2007 10:21am
Thread Board
Good idea but what would put me off is that some badges/patches seem to be allergic to washing :-) Some fade or disintegrate after a couple washes. But as all LBing badges are top quality that won't be problem, will it?.

DM
Reply to: #79578 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Mar 20, 2007 10:25am
Thread Board
My Abominable Snowman letterbox. I retired it temporarily so I could recarve the 12 x 10 inch stamp. The logbook is a large sketchpad. The pen is one of those 18" novelty ones.

C'mon Otis..which one is bigger????

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Re: San Diego Gathering
Board: State: California
Reply to: #79580 by deniserows
Mar 20, 2007 10:30am
Thread Board
Quote You are talking about using it at the gathering in Vista correct?

Yes.

Quote Is there no art stores San Tee or San Diego way that have carving tools and material????

There may be. I'm just not familiar with the area, but maybe someone who lives down there can tell you of a place. I know there was a Michael's in San Clemente that I got some blades from once, but they were on clearance and, like all the Michael's around here, I would guess they've sold out of them by now and aren't ordering any more.
Re: Meliora boxes in Rochester
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #79552 by The Phoenix
Mar 20, 2007 10:34am
Thread Board
I think James is long gone.
If we can find the key again, we may be able to continue the search.

We found the first key (the PO Box key) in a plastic box full of water. THere was a note card in the box but the ink had washed off. We knew it was a PO key, and went over to the campus Post Office. I told the PO worker that I had to pick up some mail for "James" but didn't remember which number box it was. He looked it up for me and we opened the PO Box and found a nice dry clue which led us to the next plastic box full of water, a washed out clue, and a boomerang key. Assuming there's another dry clue in whatever that key opens, there may still be a chance.

I'm an eternal optimist..............

I hearby solemnly swear on my very next visit to Rochester I will stoop, scurry, scramble, and crawl until I find that plastic box with the boomerang key in it.

I will report my findings......
Re: sig stamps vrs team stamps
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #79548 by The B Hunters
Mar 20, 2007 10:45am
Thread Board
You may regret making a ton of stamps. When you're at an event you already have to exchange so many times, adding another stamp doubles the amount that you will be inking and stamping. But it's up to you of course. I'm glad Becky and I use just one stamp. Our sig stamp represents us both though.

Of course we are PT crazy, so we spend a lot of time stamping them at events.
Re: Torn
Board: Postals
Reply to: #79595 by Scout
Mar 20, 2007 10:57am
Thread Board
You joined 12 different rings all at once?? That's even more crazy than me....
Re: sig stamps vrs team stamps
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #79548 by The B Hunters
Mar 20, 2007 10:58am
Thread Board
We've got a team stamp. My daughter has her own. Most often it's just me that goes 'boxing, but up until recently I've been using the team stamp. I've got another stamp that's been retired from its travels and now happily resides in my gear bag and sometimes takes the place of the "team" stamp.

But to throw a different perspective on it: Der Mad Stamper once said that he used/uses a myriad of stamps, sometimes filling a logbook page with "signature" stamps. Although the Alfred E Newman stamp has become synonymous with him.

StarSAELS
Re: Virtual "To Do" List
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #79586 by Coffee Beans
Mar 20, 2007 11:03am
Thread Board
Buffy episodes air on FX at 6:00 am, and they are showing season 7 right now. If anyone else watches it while getting ready for work like I do, it may be a good time to get some of those answer. :)

TG
Re: Oh, what a horrible day....
Board: Ryan's a Total Goober
Reply to: #79495 by six stars
Mar 20, 2007 11:04am
Thread Board
Quote and the sun is sunny, right?

Yes, and it's annoying! Requires you to wear all that yucky sunscreen. It's clear and sunny once again this morning. *grumbling*

I don't know why you're all complaining about the snow, though. Some people deliberately travel TO the snow just to play around in it. *nodding* Snow is fun and MUCH less wet than rain and sea water. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #79591 by Lock Wench
Mar 20, 2007 11:09am
Thread Board
I'll give you a hint. I found it but I didn't plant it.

Otis' Friends.
Reply to: #79588 by daelphinus
Mar 20, 2007 11:13am
Thread Board
Quote I've got one in a military foot locker

Is it really, really high off the ground?
How to slice a cake
Board: Food For Thought
Mar 20, 2007 11:14am
Thread Board
I have a round layer cake that I want to take to a large gathering tonight. So I need a lot of slices, but I don't want it to fall apart into a giant mess. How do I slice it? Any help will be appreciaited.

Christie of J Walkers
Reply to: #79599 by Green Tortuga
Mar 20, 2007 11:17am
Thread Board
the snow is covering up my mud... making it hard to go boxing and flingin! The ocean water is good for you... natural healant! Right now I'm watching 10 wild turkeys trying to make it the length of my house without greeting my parents dogs!
Re: How to slice a cake
Reply to: #79602 by J Walkers
Mar 20, 2007 11:17am
Thread Board
Cut it like they cut wedding cakes....thinly across one side, then in thirds...then cross cut it
Mar 20, 2007 11:18am
Thread Board
Use thread! Take a long piece, maybe double or triple it, longer than the cake is wide. Pull it taut, place it on top of the cake, and bring the string down through the cake. Then let go of one end, pull the string out of the cake with the other hand. It slices very nicely without chunks of cake or icing falling off or coming apart like happens w/ a knife. Good luck!

TS :)
Thread Board
Quote Snow is fun and MUCH less wet than rain and sea water

Now Ryan - that depends on the snow....:-)

AGJ - who has been drenched too frequently by snow here in Colorado (state of 2 blizzards), but does witness those who seek the snow quite frequently. ;-)
Thread Board
like a wedding cake. Cut an outer ring, then a middle ring, then a center circle. Then slice and serve. A regular 10" round cake will serve almost 40 people this way!

Good luck : )
Re: Virtual "To Do" List
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #79598 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 20, 2007 11:19am
Thread Board
Quote If anyone else watches it while getting ready for work like I do, it may be a good time to get some of those answer. :)

Now I would NEVER admit to watching FX AND watching my box set.......:-)

AGJ
Mar 20, 2007 11:19am
Thread Board
Quote Snow is fun and MUCH less wet than rain and sea water.

If it's that terrible I'd be happy to trade places with you.
lowering your vet bills
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #79536 by Moonduck
Mar 20, 2007 11:20am
Thread Board
If you are comfortable, there is a catalog called Doctors Foster & Smith and through this you can order the appropriate shots for your pet and administer them for a fraction of what it costs at the vets. My agreement with my vet was that they would do the annual physical and tell me the right doses for the animal and I would give them the shots and vaccines. Things like kennel cough is stuff that goes in the dogs nose. (very easy)

You might even get you vet to come down on the costs of such things if you suggest doing it yourself. I had an out-of-work husband and was preggo and not working so the money we spent came out of savings. explaining things to the vet can sometimes help! Most of them have hearts! (at least for the animal!!!)

Good luck, God speed to all you pet parents (as I right now am pet less)
six stars
Reply to: #79605 by Nurse Wanderseek
Thread Board
Quote Use thread! Take a long piece, maybe double or triple it, longer than the cake is wide. Pull it taut, place it on top of the cake, and bring the string down through the cake. Then let go of one end, pull the string out of the cake with the other hand. It slices very nicely without chunks of cake or icing falling off or coming apart like happens w/ a knife. Good luck!

I've never heard that before! I want to try it now!
Thread Board
Boy, if it were me, I think I'd pop it into a fridge until then. I think the key is to get the butter cold. That way you'll get lots of those 'just a little piece' slices that everyone asks for. What kind of cake?
Reply to: #79612 by colls n DB
Mar 20, 2007 11:21am
Thread Board
I want some cake... *pout,pout*
Reply to: #79611 by drgdlg
Mar 20, 2007 11:22am
Thread Board
I have used unwaxed dental floss to cut things before. It works for cheesecakes, and for slicing cinnamon rolls, etc.

C
Mar 20, 2007 11:24am
Thread Board
I have diagrams of how to "slice it like a wedding cake"...if you give me a real email addy, I'll send you a pdf file...

night writer
Reply to: #79615 by Alien Invasive Insects
Mar 20, 2007 11:26am
Thread Board
It's a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. We got it from our friends' brand new just opened bakery. I want to take it to a homeschool spelling bee tonight so I can brag on my friends and advertise for their bakery. So I want it to look good too. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Also, soon there will be a box planted in the bakery. As soon as they find a place for me to hide it, they are allowing me to hide a letterbox there. Hooray!!!

Christie
Reply to: #79616 by Romana
Mar 20, 2007 11:28am
Thread Board
I didn't think to search for how to slice a wedding cake until all of you suggested it. I have found some diagrams now online. Thanks!!! I knew this was the place to ask. All us letterboxers are sooo smart! And willing to help too.

A million thanks. Now I just have to cut it!

C