Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #73361 by The Merry Pranksters
Mar 19, 2007 2:06pm
Thread Board
Ditto. I sew them all on, even if it's an iron-on. I don't want to risk having gunk on my bag if I ever decide to take it off.
Tuatha'an
Re: OMG: I just got a blue diamond!
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #79277 by six stars
Mar 19, 2007 2:11pm
Thread Board
Conratulations! I hope one day I will have a chance to find it: )

't'
dtandfambly
OPEN: Ozma
Board: Postals
Mar 19, 2007 2:45pm
Board
Ozma has returned home after traveling around the "We're Off to See the Wizard" Ring and still has 8 pages left in her logbook.

If you would like to have a visit from Ozma, AQ-mail me the answer to the following:

Ozma was changed into a boy as a baby by the witch Mombi. What was Ozma's name when she was a boy?
Cancer Survivors and Awareness Postal...
Mar 19, 2007 2:47pm
Board
has been closed for now. When this round has completed, I will gladly post again. I really want to get the word out about how important it is to prevent cancer now before it is too late.

No need to put your name on a waiting list, just sign up next time around.
Re: Greetings from Hawaii
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #79246 by Amanda from Seattle
Mar 19, 2007 2:51pm
Thread Board
>>>The strain of avoiding sunburn has been tremendous, but we are doing what we can! Dehydration is always a threat, but cocktails with little umbrellas help! We are adapting quickly. :-)

You know we are all concerned about your health and well-being, Amanda and Ryan. Must be tough being in Hawaii this time of year...when the locals wear jackets 'cause the temps are down to 75.
Must make plans to plant on other islands...and boxes that don't require a pack mule to get to.
zoemomma
No more PLBs for me!
Mar 19, 2007 2:52pm
Board
I just wanted everyone to know, and you may not give a hoot, but I'm officially not signing up for any more postals until next winter. :) It's now consistantly above 40 degrees, the snow seems to be mostly melted, and it's time to get some exercise! Plus, we're going to move in a few months (I'll keep active PLBs informed, don't fret).

I would ask that no body create a postal that I would be sad to miss! :) I've already dropped out of a bunch of postals in favor of packing boxes and exercise, and this has made me sad enough already.

Ciao for now,
LG.
Re: AAAAAAAH!
Board: Dungeons and Dragons
Reply to: #79289 by tuathaan
Mar 19, 2007 2:54pm
Thread Board
It reminds me of Willow doing magic in the movie Willow...
Re: Spring Flinger 2007 in WA
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #79248 by Pi
Mar 19, 2007 2:57pm
Thread Board
Quote Maiden had a wonderful series where you literally had to follow the scent to find the boxes. I'm hoping she'll jump in here and explain in greater detail, since I don't want to give too much away. It was definately a unique and clever set of clues, though!!

HP

At the Spring Flinger I created two boxes. One was a salmon and one was a steelhead. When you were ready to hunt, you came to find me. I would ask you a few easy questions..

How do salmon and steelhead find their home creek so they know where to return to spawn?
The answer for those that aren't from the PNW, is by smell. I would then offer you a small ziplock with two cotton balls in it. It was saturated with a scent. You had to sniff the bag and then head off on the trail. Starting at the trail head, each intersection had two ziplocs. One on each side of the branch. You had to sniff both of them and then follow the branch of the trail that had your scent.

I had two different trails going so that I could alternate starting smells and keep people from all grouping up on one trail. It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the comments from people, especially the kids.
Re: Greetings from Hawaii
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #79246 by Amanda from Seattle
Mar 19, 2007 2:57pm
Thread Board
Quote There are only 8 letterboxes on the Big Island of Hawaii and Ryan and I are visiting every single one to do maintenance and up keep....The strain of avoiding sunburn has been tremendous, but we are doing what we can! Dehydration is always a threat, but cocktails with little umbrellas help! We are adapting quickly. :-)

Okay, keep rubbing it in... I think the "cooties" that target you two at the next gathering may not be just underwear-- possibly they will be larger and attached to clubs... :P
Re: Spring Flinger 2007 in WA
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #79297 by Maiden
Mar 19, 2007 2:59pm
Thread Board
Somehow, we missed that set of boxes. Man, I wish we had gotten to the smelly boxes...Maybe next time.
Danny
Mar 19, 2007 3:02pm
Thread Board
so...how DO you pronouce it?
Reply to: #79300 by Enchantress 2
Mar 19, 2007 3:13pm
Thread Board
Quote so...how DO you pronouce it?

I usually go with 'Two-ahh-thin'.
:D

CQ
Zelie Zips rejected by USPS
Mar 19, 2007 3:19pm
Thread Board
Well I lost the battle at my PO, but they have not won the return address war.

I went late today as I had a little one home sick and was waiting for the big one to get home. I got the same clerk, but was prepared with my regulations quote( 1.5.1). He was prepared too, and said if I read farther down the regs. it says senders address. He politely sent me to see the postmaster. Well I knew it said that too, so I took up my armload of postals and left.

Tomorrow I will go to the town next door. So far they haven't noticed. When they do I am in trouble. The next town is a distance. I will certainly loose my 1day turnaround pride. It will be more like 1x/week. No kiosks either, the towns are too little. I may need the receiver of my postals to tear off my address to expose the one under it. We will see how I do tomorrow.

Larva Lady of the Zelie Zips
Mar 19, 2007 3:30pm
Thread Board
Quote Tuatha'an
(who may change her name as no one can pronounce it at events. What do you all think?)

Stick with it, and use it to your advantage: make a Personal Traveller, and in order to get it, they need to correctly pronounce your trailname!

-wassamatta_u (pronounced "incrediblyhandsomeandsmart")
Finally put up the clues.
Board: State: New Hampshire
Mar 19, 2007 3:31pm
Thread Board
Hey all. Thanks for being patient! Finally put up clues to "Mill No. 1" box and the "Box on the Rapid Foaming Water" box. Heh. These are my first microboxes and I'm hoping they weathered the weather okay. Any feedback you have would be appreciated!
Thanks and good hunting. More on the way!
Tuatha'an
(Who may soon be known as something else as I have realized that this is difficult to pronounce. What do you all think?)
Re: frustrated beyond belief
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #79252 by chadams
Mar 19, 2007 3:33pm
Thread Board
Seeing...Put on you glasses.........and good light are key to carving.

LL/ZZ
Reply to: #79303 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2007 3:36pm
Thread Board
LOL... you all make me laugh. That helps a bunch even if no one can pronounce it. Heh.

I like your idea, Wassa.

And yeah, that sounds about right as far as the pronunciation goes. As far as I know (I ask myself, do I even know how to say it?) *grumbles as she watches 15 points drain from the geek meter*

And I do need to watch Willow again... I haven't seen that in forever!!! What a good movie.
*sighs happily, despite the drain on the geek meter*

-Tuatha'an
Filled them in
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Mar 19, 2007 3:39pm
Thread Board
Team Weatherly now has a listed find for each category. And we just got 400 VB finds...
D
Mystery boxes search
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Mar 19, 2007 3:44pm
Thread Board
How Do I search forMystery box clues? They aren't in the type of box search parameter. There is no board to ask. searching the word mystery comes up with a lot but also postals and others.

Is there a proper way to do this?

Larva Lady of the Zelie Zips
Re: Filled them in
Reply to: #79307 by The Weatherlys
Mar 19, 2007 3:45pm
Thread Board
Congrats!
We just need an event stamp and a cootie... I suppose both will be taken care of shortly when we attend the No Foolin' Gathering in a couple of weeks =o)

It is kinda fun to have all those categories filled in isn't it? =o)
Cheers,
Rhea
Re: San Diego Gathering
Board: State: California
Reply to: #79233 by Green Tortuga
Mar 19, 2007 3:50pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the link info - sometimes I am a bit slow to the great knowledge already here on AQ at my fingertips! duh!

Total coverage of the subject!

Now if all the kids stay healthy and gas prices don't go to $3.50 by saturday we should be on our way! phew $3.11 and rising at the cheap station.....yikes!

Happy hunting, enjoy the journey,
teekasue
Reply to: #79309 by The Gillespie Tribe
Mar 19, 2007 3:53pm
Thread Board
Thanks. Yes it is pretty cool to have them filled in. I didn't know if I was ever gonna get the mystery filled. But the Spring Flinger filled that in for me...
D
My 200 Virtuals...
Board: Virtuals
Mar 19, 2007 3:56pm
Thread Board
For those of you collecting certificates... I can send out a mudflinginfools certificate to anyone that solves all 200 of mine currently posted. Castles16 was the first to accomplish this! And recieved it this morning!
Good luck!
mff
Reply to: #79309 by The Gillespie Tribe
Mar 19, 2007 3:56pm
Thread Board
Hmmm... maybe I should not mention not having any cooties yet.... maybe this board is new enough that no one will notice =o)

LOL,
Rhea
Re: My 200 Virtuals...
Reply to: #79312 by mudflinginfools
Mar 19, 2007 4:02pm
Thread Board
Only 50 to go...
D
Our sick kitty and the recalled food
Board: Critter Corner
Mar 19, 2007 4:10pm
Thread Board
I thought our cat had been acting weird for a few days- drinking A LOT more water than normal, unusual litterbox behaviors, and just acting different overall.

Today, I read buried in the middle of the newspaper that 40 Cat foods and 50 Dog Foods (all wet food) were recalled because they are causing kidney failure in animals. 10 pets have already died.

I went to the website and saw that the brand of food we feed our cat was on the list. Then, I found the symptoms of kidney problems and they matched the weird behaviors our cat has been having.

So, quickly we went to the vet and they took blood from her. It turns out that the toxins in her blood were highly elevated, meaning that her kidneys were not working properly to remove them. They tried to get a urine sample, but H2 (our cat) wasn't being cooperative. They had to keep her overnight since they could tell her kidneys were already not functioning properly and they will be able to do the urine test now as well. So, that should give us even more information. We're going to see how she's doing tomorrow and go from there.

They said we caught it early, so the damage won't be permanent. I just wanted to let everyone know so that you can check to see if your cat or dogs food is on the list.

The link is: www.menufoods.com/recall

Hope all of your animals are okay!
Desi
Re: now what? PLB complete
Reply to: #78329 by Big Ox and the Herd
Mar 19, 2007 4:12pm
Thread Board
That's very intruiging (did I spell that right? It's a big word for a preschool teacher...of four-year-olds.)

I just might take you up on that!!!

:-) A
Re: Mystery boxes search
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #79308 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Mar 19, 2007 4:18pm
Thread Board
I don't think you can do a search for just mystery boxes because, well um, they are mysterious! They don't usually have a city and sometimes they don't even list a state, so what would you search for??

TG
Re: My 200 Virtuals...
Reply to: #79312 by mudflinginfools
Mar 19, 2007 4:20pm
Thread Board
Jiminy Cricket! I thought I had solved more of yours, but apparently I have 132 to go! :(

TG
Reply to: #79313 by The Gillespie Tribe
Mar 19, 2007 4:21pm
Thread Board
Hmmm....and I will be seeing you in San Jose at the gathering...(insert maniacal laughter here),
In Cahoots Gang