Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: I must have a dirty mind...
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #77047 by Mr Yuk
Mar 9, 2007 7:42am
Thread Board
You don't see the obvious male anatomy in that logo??

I saw it instantly and said :"Blank, I wish I lived in Florida, so I would have an excuse to get the hubby those boxers!!"
Happy Birthday, CCL!
Board: Yakking It Up
Mar 9, 2007 7:43am
Thread Board
I'll sing by typing on the computer as that is the only way you want to hear me sing.

Happy Birthdayyyy to yoooouuu!
Happy Birthdayyyy to yoooouuu!
Happy Birthday dear CCL, Happy Birthdayyyy to yoooooouuuuuu!

Here's to boxing a year older!
Re: I must have a dirty mind...
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #77053 by sweet n sour
Mar 9, 2007 7:46am
Thread Board
HAHA - It looks just like a twig and berries!

Oh that's great. Thanks a bunch.
Re: A backyardigans postal
Board: Postals
Reply to: #77050 by ona journey
Mar 9, 2007 7:53am
Thread Board
Tyrone is a moose...Pablo's a penquin...Austin's a kangaroo... Tasha is a hippo... and Uniqua is unique. My son just says, "Uniqua is pretty to me." I would love to be a part of the backyardigans postal but... it will be my first postal so you will have to coach me a little along the way. I will dedicate my first postal to Sparky. Thanks for the opportunity!

Peas,
Bubba
Re: Warning: Proud Mamma ahead!
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #77007 by Pi
Mar 9, 2007 7:57am
Thread Board
Hey, my first try didn't look much better than that. I could tell that it was one of those star wars guys. Congrats to E-Bug! keep up the good work!

Bubba
Re: Heat Transfer
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #76974 by Being Shielded
Mar 9, 2007 8:10am
Thread Board
Quote DO NOT iron paper and medium without the towel.

I never use a towel and have never had a problem... but I use a laser printer and no steam. Works like a charm!

When using a medium that is very soft, like Mastercarve, I have found that it is best to carve when frozen though because the image will smudge when room temp. So I just carve a little, freeze a little, carve a little, freeze a little... =o)

Rhea
Re: A Word About Hitchhikers / Cooties
Reply to: #77026 by drgdlg
Mar 9, 2007 8:12am
Thread Board
This is the defintiion of a cootie from the Glossary here on AQ. That being said, I think all cooties have to be passed off IN PERSON, which would rule out plb

I agree with this interpretation, otherwise this cootie thing will get way out of hand.
Where we live we have so few letterboxers and gatherings that to pass one off would be real difficult at the best of times.
Yes, cooties should be able to be passed along 'in person' only
Mar 9, 2007 8:15am
Thread Board
That stamp is so cute!
what a great carve.

I have a 4 yr old also and well, maybe mommy has to let him have the try he has been asking for. =).

Thank you for sharing.
Re: Ok, not really about letterboxing, but...
Reply to: #76989 by Piper Paws
Mar 9, 2007 8:17am
Thread Board
OK, HELP ME PLEASE!!!
I have a 5 yr old who has been co-sleeping with us since he was 2. Now i can not get him out. please share this life changing method.
Re: Trading TB's and Geocoins
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #76985 by Team BearCat
Mar 9, 2007 8:18am
Thread Board
where are you located?
Re: A Word About Hitchhikers
Reply to: #77045 by LibraryGrrl
Mar 9, 2007 8:20am
Thread Board
Yes, the owner should state their preference of being in the wild, or in another postal.
We just received a delightful HH in a postal and know the perfect box to put it in near us here. We have placed and seen several HH over the year and it has visitors from all over the country.
So I can't imagine it will be there long.
If you are in the area...you might just find it!

Hmm, wondering,
in the world of geocaching there are 'travel bugs' which operate somewhat like a HH, a few differences, among a 'high tech' tracking sysytem, but the owner states on the travel bug what it's travel preferences are. Wouldn't a 'person' hitchhiking also do the same, "I am travelling to Los angeles." for example, so if the owner says where it would like to go (if there is a preference), wouldn't this help??? (then again it might make it more cumbersome)
Reply to: #77066 by The hicks from the sticks
Mar 9, 2007 8:21am
Thread Board
The life-changing method... let them cry until the fall asleep. As long as they are not hurting themselves, it will not hurt to let them cry. The first time is the worst but it gets better from there. If you simply cannot stand to have them cry for an hour straight, you can always try short periods of time in the beginning, let them cry for 5-10 mins, go comfort, then extend the time by 5 mins, go comfort, repeat until they are asleep.

It will be hard in the beginning, but it is better than what happened to a friend of mine... she slept with her mother until she was a teen!

Good luck!
Rhea
Mar 9, 2007 8:22am
Thread Board
So I either jinxed myself or I can blame it on her cold, teething, gas, or some other unknown reason... She woke up last night around 2 a.m. and wouldn't stop crying! Hopefully it's a one night occurance. I gave up and just nursed her back to sleep. Who's training who?

ht
Reply to: #77069 by The Gillespie Tribe
Mar 9, 2007 8:25am
Thread Board
Isn't it harder the older they get? Maybe with a 5 year old some kind of reward system could be put in place. Say a sticker calendar where they get a sticker for each night in their own bed and then some big reward if they do it so many nights in a row. A trip to the dollar store is a great reward!
Re: Envelopes
Reply to: #77022 by Scout
Mar 9, 2007 8:28am
Thread Board
<quote/>Of course, I am in a small town and they know I am local.

This was my problem also. All i did was put the custom declaration on with the address of the owner and then where it say signature i scribbled my name to kinda look like the owners name. i also chattered the whole time to distract the PO person.

There is no regulation that says it has to be YOUR return address. Somewhere on this board someone has the actual postal code that says just that.

deniserows
and sends postal to CehNehDeh
Mar 9, 2007 8:28am
Thread Board
I love it! He should be really proud!
Reply to: #77071 by handy trackers
Mar 9, 2007 8:30am
Thread Board
You know I've never had a problem with this. My son went straight from the crib, to the toddler bed, to his own bed. Sometimes he will ask me to sleep in HIS bed if he is sick or getting growing pains. Thats about it. You should see my 6'1" frame trying to sleep in a kid's bed, it's ridiculous. He's 5 now, do I need to worry about this later in life?
Reply to: #77074 by handy trackers
Mar 9, 2007 8:33am
Thread Board
That's great! Explain to me "pinched the end of a pencil." I'd love to get him carving but don't want to hand him a speed ball set.
Reply to: #76998 by Smimle
Mar 9, 2007 8:38am
Thread Board
I frequently get their songs stuck in my head...

Yes, but did you have a moment of insanity where you thought it was a GOOD idea for your kids to have a CD of the songs? OMG...every single afternoon on the way home from school...

Trudge, trudge, trudge.... (which I secretly kind of like)

And the Stinky swamp song, where MUC thinks it's hysterical to sing "LIKE DIRTY DIAPERS" and " LIKE MUSHY PEAS" at the top of his lungs...

And my personal favorite, Float...flutter, fly.....float, flutter, fly....
Reply to: #77017 by Sky Blue Dragon
Mar 9, 2007 8:40am
Thread Board
Quote they advised that their hitchhikers were supposed to be in the WILD, and not in postals.

Interesting. It is completely up to the creator of any kind of LB to have their wishes carried out. However, having said that, I think the whole idea of a HH is for it to travel, right?

I now have quite a few HHs out there floating around. And I am always thrilled to hear from them. I have gotten HHs returned home, and have had the privilege of reading the logbooks. To be honest, it really makes no difference to me if they were signed out on the trail, or in a plbers home. The stamp-ins tend to be the same. Stamps from both traditional lbs and plbs tend to also be of wonderful interest. I just don't see much difference here, except that the ones traveling in plbs move so much more. And I hear from them more often.

HHs that I have in the wild are sometimes lost forever. (For that matter, HHs in plbs sometimes are lost forever in a black hole, too!) Perhaps the box goes missing, but more often then not, boxers do not contact the placer. Or the HH sits in the box for months at a time.

I guess the bottom line is the same as I always say: HHs are for the pleasure of the finder, in whatever venue. I thoroughly enjoy making them, and it is always fun to find them, but the real fun is hearing who has found yours and where.

If you find any of my HHs, please know that you can move it along either traditionally or in a plb. It's all good.

~SHH :-)
Re: 3x4 plastic bags
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #76984 by Mama Cache
Mar 9, 2007 8:48am
Thread Board
Once again, check your local Dollar Tree-they have a variety pack for....hmmmmmm Just a Dollar!!
Reply to: #77043 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 9, 2007 8:54am
Thread Board
Quote The owners of the HH's should write their preferences in the logbook so there is no doubt.

When I created my five hitch hikers, postal letterboxes did not even exist. There was no way for me to know that they would travel any other way but from a hidden, clued letterbox to another of the same kind. If anyone finds any of mine please only move them from box to box, not via the US Mail. I much prefer the original intent of Hitch Hikers. Funhog
Proud Mamma
Reply to: #77077 by Mr Yuk
Mar 9, 2007 8:55am
Thread Board
Quote That's great! Explain to me "pinched the end of a pencil."

Yes please explain...though my guess will be... pinch the eraser end of the pencil (eraser gone).

I'd love to get my 5 year olds carving some... for theirs, I let them color on it and then I carved it.

Lisa
Reply to: #77077 by Mr Yuk
Mar 9, 2007 8:56am
Thread Board
go to ww.letterboxing.org and read the kids section...there is a tutorial there that shows the pinched pencil end and other ways for youn boxers to make theeir own stamps.

night writer

(is that treason? to send someone to the tutorial on lbna?)
Reply to: #77079 by Jenni P McD
Mar 9, 2007 9:01am
Thread Board
OH my goodness...a CD? ACK! Kill me now! LOL I enjoy the show...but having it in the car too would just put me over the edge I think! LOL

D5 Mama
Reply to: #77086 by Smimle
Mar 9, 2007 9:18am
Thread Board
Okay, my kids are 14 and 9. I have never heard of this show. Is it PBS? That used to be the only station on our house but now...... Oh they grow old too fast.

Larva Lady of the Zelie Zips
Reply to: #77089 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Mar 9, 2007 9:20am
Thread Board
Reply to: #77090 by ona journey
Mar 9, 2007 9:26am
Thread Board
Thanks for the info. Yup mine are in school when it is on. The 9 yearold still watches some nick Jr stuff but her older brother usually has the remote. That Male Remote Ownership thing starts early Iv'e found>

Larva Lady/Zelie Zips

who never has the remote if others are in the room too
Re: Happy Birthday, CCL!
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #77054 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 9, 2007 9:42am
Thread Board
Sue & I want to join in!
Happy Birthday, CCL!
Wishing you many more and hope to see you Capers soon!

Mark
Mar 9, 2007 9:43am
Thread Board
OK, HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Ours didn't sleep with us, but we had the problem (parental-enabled, we know--we knew better when #2 came along) where she couldn't fall asleep without a parent in the room. So, we got to the point where we were taking turns WASTING an hour in her bedroom til she fell asleep. We finally got tired of this horrible routine. I think our methods of getting her to be able to fall asleep on her own could work for you too.

We told her that this pattern was going to change and that she was a big girl and needed to learn to fall asleep by herself. We asked her to pick the stuffed animals that were the "quietest" ones so she could put them in her bed as company. We didn't want her friends keeping her awake. Then, we explained what we were going to do up front and we stuck with the plan.

THe first night, we checked on her every 2 minutes. We were slaves to the clock but didn't want to break our promise. We came in every 2 minutes, rubbed her back, told her she was doing great staying in bed, and left. The next night, we came in every 3 minutes. The next night every 4 minutes. Etc. Finally, we were going in every 45 minutes and she was asleep before the 45 minutes were up. Then, we were done. She was going to sleep all by herself! Woohoo!

Yes, at first, I think she ended up staying awake later because of the frequency and her anticipation of us coming in. But, we did it to show her that we promised to come when we said we'd come. After a week, she understood she could trust us and stopped trying to stay awake til we came in again.

Good luck!
Amyrica