About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

A New Breed is Born...
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Mar 4, 2007 4:23pm
Thread Board
As I sat pondering the universe this morning over coffee, the recent "Cootie Dilemna" passed through my ponderings. It seems that, for some, at least, the issue with cooties is that they will have to hold onto them for many months before having another opportunity to be passed on. So, I thought, what if we crossed a Cootie with a Hitchhiker, and called it a... Hootchie! A Hootchie could be passed either by direct contact from boxer to boxer OR dropped off in a letterbox to be found later by another boxer. That boxer could then either replant it in a box, or pass it cootie-style... and so on.

Get one at an event and don't want to stop and deal with it? Fine... you've found a hitchhiker to enjoy later!
Find one in a box 2 weeks before attending a gathering? Fine... you've got a cootie to bring along!

And so was born the Hootchie...

HP~slightly proud, but ducking for cover anyway!~
Re: Dixie report
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #75956 by Alyson Wonderland
Mar 4, 2007 4:25pm
Thread Board
Quote Dixie, I'm gonna take away all your letterboxer friends if you can't keep them picked up and put up in an orderly manner!!

But its not her fault they . . they, just keep falling down and rolling all over the floor.

Mystic Dreamer
Re: Garden started!
Board: Garden Gnomes
Reply to: #75972 by knit wit
Mar 4, 2007 4:33pm
Thread Board
My husband actually mows our neighbors for extra $$ to help out.... so we look forward to mowing season as well :P

~QB
Re: Size of stamps
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #75837 by Kirbert
Mar 4, 2007 4:38pm
Thread Board
Quote Advice: do not bend or curl your stamp to get it into the container. Use a larger container.

I think that is good advice I don't think that I would have ever tryed to bend or curl a stamp but you never know, when the planting freenzy happens what might happen.

My favorit container is the LnL 4 1/2 square so I should be ok. I am not hiding in urban setting only on the trails so finding a hiding place is not really a problem.

Mystic Dreamer
Re: Removing an image
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #75935 by TerraKacher
Mar 4, 2007 4:45pm
Thread Board
I ALWAYS clean my stamping material with acetone before transferring and image to it. Cleans it perfectly and helps the carving block receive the image much better. Just soak the corner of a paper towel and give it a quick wipe. You can get acetone at just about any hardware store and it's not expensive.

The Merry Pranksters
Re: A New Breed is Born...
Reply to: #75975 by Pi
Mar 4, 2007 4:46pm
Thread Board
Quote And so was born the Hootchie...

HP~slightly proud, but ducking for cover anyway!~

Very very funny. Buuuuut, who is going to be the first to point at some femme letterboxer and call her a Hootchie Mama? lolol. You get what you deserve.
Re: Removing an image- Acetone
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #75979 by The Merry Pranksters
Mar 4, 2007 4:46pm
Thread Board
You can get it at a beauty supply store as well.
Reply to: #75878 by Queen Beeloved
Mar 4, 2007 4:54pm
Thread Board
Well I have to say that I am a little jealous, if I am really lucky then the 1st of April but it is still pretty cold here so maybe the middle of April. I am still looking for those non raining non freezing days to do some fall clean up. (yes FALL I peetered out last fall and did not get the clean up done.

But on a good note I did get to go to the areas largest garden show and came home with some new peonys. too much fun

Mystic Dreamer
Updated clues for Making Tracks...
Board: State: Washington
Mar 4, 2007 5:05pm
Board
Quick note: For those of you that have access to our "Making Tracks Nature Series," I wanted to let you know that I have made an update to the clues. Locations are still the same, but I added a note for box #3 after someone discovered a confusing error in the logbook.

Thanks for understaning!

Gischer Gryffindors
Re: Welcome to the Garden Gnomes board!
Reply to: #75810 by six stars
Mar 4, 2007 5:06pm
Thread Board
I think that it really depends on your area. I have planted peas as early as the middle of Feburary, into wet soil that was prepared the year before. They just soaked up the water and popped as it started to warm up. But last year they would have been a little stunted because we had such a cold spring.

I would say that as soon as you can work your soil drop them in the ground. They are a cool weather crop so I am guessing as soon as you start to see consistant 60 degree days but defently check with your local garden shop to find out.

Mystic Dreamer
Reply to: #75982 by Mystic Dreamer
Mar 4, 2007 5:08pm
Thread Board
I really don't do clean up in the fall. I'm pretty burned out from trying to grow things in 100+ temps and am ready to go dormant myself. I leave most of the clean up for early spring (now) I find it helps insulate the plants a bit... although you must understand -typically there's not much to insulate against! -It also helps me remember where everything is!

This is my year to have to divide MANY plants. I am overwhelmed just thinking about that so there won't be any new beds this year. just veggies and a major manicure of all these overgrown perenials. I have a shasta daisy that I call the 'shasta monster' and I will be taking her on soon:) I'll brush up on my sumo moves in the mean time! I anticipate calling in reinforcements -she's THAT big.

Do you guys start seeds? That's one way I scratch the itch if the weather is fickle. I may be jumping the gun a bit this year... The bluebirds are checking out the boxes...but haven't started to build anything...and I haven't witnessed my hummers yet... but I think it should be ok.

~QB
Reply to: #75985 by Queen Beeloved
Mar 4, 2007 5:26pm
Thread Board
Quote This is my year to have to divide MANY plants.

Oh, please... My daylilies are ready to call for reinforcements to force me to divide them and don't get me started on my iris beds. At least both kids are in school this year so I'll have the chance to do that this year.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #75985 by Queen Beeloved
Mar 4, 2007 5:32pm
Thread Board
I think you need to tell those who aren't from Texas how folks water their "houses" if they are built on a slab...so the foundation won't crack when the earth does. I was amazed with that.
Zoe
Re: Three Stooges
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #75691 by knit wit
Mar 4, 2007 5:34pm
Thread Board
And those old political Bugs cartoons are pretty strange too. It usually doesn't even look like Bugs as I know him.

Knit Wit (who is female but still likes the odd bit of physical humor once in a while)

Now, see, I LOVE Warner Brothers cartoons. Cartoons in general are pretty funny, but the same stuff in live action just doesn't translate.
Lake Junaluska
Board: State: North Carolina
Mar 4, 2007 5:36pm
Thread Board
Not that crowds of people are standing in line, but.... ;-))

I think two of my Lake Junaluska boxes are missing (I do want to go back and confirm, but did not find them today after a pretty decent search...). And I pulled another one because some major landscape renovation is being done - they cut all the rhododendrons back where the box was hidden - how they didn't find that box is beyond me!!!

I probably won't replant these - if they are truly missing, that will be three boxes missing there since I first planted in October 2006 (I redid one). Not good odds - I'd rather put my energy elsewhere!

Mama Fox
Zelie Zips Back on line!!!
Board: Postals
Mar 4, 2007 5:37pm
Thread Board
Yeah!! We are back on line! The old hard drive was totally cooked, but now we have a bigger better one. Most things have to be recreated but I am not going to be suffering withdrawl any more. No more 20-30 mailings or 100 messages to check out. That was hard from the Library. Thanks again to GT for fixing it so that I could actually log in at the library.

Larva Lady of the Zelie Zips
Showing off my new Ribbon
Mar 4, 2007 5:39pm
Thread Board
We have a fun time today finding some of the retired pirates and a little pirate kitty. Little did I know that we would be rewarded when we got home too; a lovely ribbon to wear on AQ. SWEET! Now, in a week or two we'll have to see about a hat to coordinate with it.

Tee
Re: A New Breed is Born...
Reply to: #75975 by Pi
Mar 4, 2007 5:39pm
Thread Board
Quote A Hootchie could be passed either by direct contact from boxer to boxer OR dropped off in a letterbox to be found later by another boxer.

That's old news. It's called a flea. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #75987 by zoemomma
Mar 4, 2007 5:40pm
Thread Board
That's true actually! I just plant gardens around the perimeter of the house and then I dont' feel like I"m wasting water :) -That, and not having rain gutters on the house for many years probably helped too!

~QB
Reply to: #75976 by Mystic Dreamer
Mar 4, 2007 5:42pm
Thread Board
It's all that water Shiloh keeps sloshing around! It's so cold around here that it's freezing and turning the place into an ice rink. If he doesn't quit, I'm gonna start selling tickets to the Letterboxing Ice Follies.

Knit Wit
Scrapbooking show on DIY Network
Board: Logbook Logistics
Mar 4, 2007 6:05pm
Thread Board
The scrapbooking show at 5 p.m. today (EST) on the DIY Network showed how to do Japanese Stab Binding, and how to embellish premade albums.

I saw SOOO many uses for letterboxing that I thought I would share!

Music Woman
Re: Zelie Zips Back on line!!!
Reply to: #75990 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Mar 4, 2007 6:05pm
Thread Board
YEAH!!! Welcome back! Oh the fun you've been missing... lunar eclipses, traveling gnomes and now we have hootchies!

mff
Re: STILL OPEN (HINT HINT!).. US and Canada PLB
Reply to: #75568 by Dog Lover
Mar 4, 2007 6:14pm
Thread Board
I will think about another on. Still haven't carved the first one... But as someone else said, I just bought 500 cards yesterday.

Larva Lady of the Zelie Zips
Reply to: #75994 by knit wit
Mar 4, 2007 6:17pm
Thread Board
ahhhh ok....
*puts up the Orek and gets out..... the zamboni*
who gets flattened first?? LOL

;-) cam *thinking....did i ever tell them about my one speeding ticket i got... doing 94 on the 485 loop......... hmmmm guess this would be a bad time to bring that up*
Reply to: #75998 by Alyson Wonderland
Mar 4, 2007 6:19pm
Thread Board
*hides under the table, draggin other boxers with her*
:P
Reply to: #75998 by Alyson Wonderland
Mar 4, 2007 6:19pm
Thread Board
You all are so funny;)

Thanks for making me giggle:)

I want to see the Ice Follies:)

Trish:)
(who now needs to finish typing a report and then I will pulse:)
Re: Three Stooges
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #75988 by Sprite and Highlander
Mar 4, 2007 6:21pm
Thread Board
speaking of "odd" and "physical humor"

Mr. Bean seems to follow the same gender demographics as the 3 Stooges..... ick.

cam
Re: STILL OPEN (HINT HINT!).. US and Canada PLB
Reply to: #75997 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Mar 4, 2007 6:21pm
Thread Board
Go ahead... grab another one... I already held my breath... typed in RI and then hit send before I passed out from loss of O2!
Reply to: #75999 by the pink dragon
Mar 4, 2007 6:22pm
Thread Board
table??? table??? tables crush under zamboni's too girlie MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!

cam.... hmmm driving a zamboni cant be any harder than driving a dodge grand caravan can it? lol
Reply to: #76003 by Alyson Wonderland
Mar 4, 2007 6:33pm
Thread Board
& here i thought cam was such a sweet lady...
:P