Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #73361 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 20, 2007 2:26pm
Thread Board
I prefer to stitch mine on but you can usually stitch the iron-on ones too.

Woodsong
Xana's first encounter
Board: Dungeons and Dragons
Reply to: #73343 by Sprite and Highlander
Feb 20, 2007 2:28pm
Thread Board
Quote we haven't seen a post from dbltall

I forgot to post a description. It won't be as entertaining as wassamatta's, but here goes.

Xana quietly approached the wooden door. She listened and heard nothing, but a foul odor emanated from within the room. She tried the door - locked. With a frown she struck the door; whatever was within would be waiting for her. She disliked fighting underground, with doors and locks and traps. She was more at home under the trees. Another blow and the lock splintered, a third pushed the door ajar. A tentacle struck at her, but she swiftly evaded the blow. She sent two arrows in quick succession - the first missed, the second glanced off it, wounding the creature a bit. It struck again, this time wounding her slightly. She let fly two more shots - a solid hit, and a miss. The creature bared sharp teeth, with an enraged growl, struck again, but missed. Xana fired twice more, and both arrows hit their mark. The beast was dead, but its foul stench remained. She looked with distaste at the putrid pile of filth that has been the creature's lair. There was nothing of any worth there save a garment. Xana headed quickly further down the corridor, to find a quiet place to tend her wound, and get away from the stench.
Re: Help with Adopting a Geocache
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #73171 by Frettchen
Feb 20, 2007 2:49pm
Thread Board
to change the cache to a hybrid, you will also need to talk to the reviewer also.
Newbie questions about logbooks + containers for cooties
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Feb 20, 2007 2:51pm
Thread Board
i have tried my hardest to do a proper search with the plus and minus signs about this topic to no avail. Operator error i am sure. My questions:

Do cooties have to have logbooks and a container?
What is the average size of said cooties?
If you are bringing a guest to an event, are they fair game for cooties?
Does one have an official cootie stamp ala personal traveler?

deniserows
and has been cootied once
Re: Newbie questions about logbooks + containers for cooties
Reply to: #73382 by deniserows
Feb 20, 2007 2:57pm
Thread Board
Do cooties have to have logbooks and a container? Sometimes to both. Sometimes there is just a stamp. Sometimes the stamp and log are attached to a clip so that they can be covertly clipped onto someone.

What is the average size of said cooties? The smaller they are, the easier they are to pass off without someone noticing. So usually very small

If you are bringing a guest to an event, are they fair game for cooties? Absolutely! :)

Does one have an official cootie stamp ala personal traveler? I have a small sig stamp that looks like my normal sig stamp. But some people just use a thumb or fingerprint if the logbook is very small.

TG
Reply to: #73191 by Kirbert
Feb 20, 2007 3:01pm
Thread Board
Quote Don't change it to a hybrid. This is nearly always a mistake. Just plant a new letterbox instead.

-- Kirbert

LOL I can see your point... safer for the stamp and all. So are you suggesting that I archive it and not replace it on GC... just put a letterbox there posted on AQ and LBNA?
Re: Loud Fanfare!!!!
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #73367 by Mn8X
Feb 20, 2007 3:12pm
Thread Board
<qoute>Hey, Happy Cake Day Kirbert!

yes Happy cake day! I hope it is wonderful!
chadams
Answering Mail
Board: Event News and Planning
Feb 20, 2007 3:44pm
Board
I just want to let everyone know that I WILL be answering your questions and your mail. I am just buried in it because I received over 500 letters after Sun....updates on finds, questions, kudos, etc etc. I WILL get back to everyone...and if you think I might have missed your question and you haven't heard from me by Friday...send me another mail..ok?

Thanks for your patience!

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Reply to: #73386 by Shadohart
Feb 20, 2007 3:52pm
Thread Board
If you do make it a new hybrid, I would still put it on GC. I think we should keep up their exposure to all things letterboxing. That's how the others learn.

Red Soup
Reply to: #73385 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 20, 2007 4:00pm
Thread Board
what about the logbook?(if any) do the ever come home or do just rely on the find list for location etc.?
Re: Magnets & film/pill tubes
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #73185 by Frettchen
Feb 20, 2007 4:14pm
Thread Board
I'll have to ask my neighbor and my MIL about the glucose test strip containers.
Reply to: #73385 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 20, 2007 4:18pm
Thread Board
We created little stamps called "cootie cops" so that we'd have a tiny signature stamp alternative. The idea grew in our little circle to the inclusion of cootie jails and more (all in fun).

Click here to see our twist on the idea:
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=278452&ck=

Mama Cache
I'm gonna be in St. Louis
Board: State: Missouri
Feb 20, 2007 4:23pm
Thread Board
For a couple weeks starting this Sunday. Was wondering if anyone wanted to do an exchange or meet up to do some boxin. Could also use some help with some cool local boxes to get. I will be limited with transportation, I may be able to rent a car for one of the weekends. Unfortunately this business trip is with 5 other people and they rented us a van so I will probably NOT have personal use of it. Any Help would be appreciated.

Mr. Yuk of Team KPI
Re: I'm gonna be in St. Louis
Reply to: #73394 by Mr Yuk
Feb 20, 2007 4:39pm
Thread Board
We'd love to meet up! Our favorite box is ever fixed mark and ragged wood for the clues!

Let us, know, the weather should hold up and we can take you with us to do some others if you want, The B Hunters
Re: I'm gonna be in St. Louis
Reply to: #73395 by The B Hunters
Feb 20, 2007 4:50pm
Thread Board
Awesome. I'll check those boxes out and I'll get back with more info when I know where I'm staying. Thanks!
Re: Hershey boxes
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #73337 by Wild Dreams
Feb 20, 2007 4:56pm
Thread Board
Quote Alabama's Spring Break (or at least Hoover City Schools) is March 19-23.

OK, we'll be looking for you then. Be sure to post your itinerary!

Sheba
Re: clues
Reply to: #73252 by Amyrica
Feb 20, 2007 5:01pm
Thread Board
If you end after .com--the rest of his site is interesting reading also. You can navigate to the "treasureboxes" from there.

Sheba
Re: Desperately Seeking ______?
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #73278 by Sahalie
Feb 20, 2007 5:02pm
Thread Board
Maybe it should be desperately seeking DRY WARM clothes? Or...maybe Desperately Seeking a floatation device?

hehehe....love it when boxes have those great stories~! Hope you didn't catch a cold!
CARS series
Board: Virtuals
Feb 20, 2007 5:14pm
Thread Board
okay... after watching this movie with my 2 year old at least 50 times... I created a series of Virtuals about the movie... they might be easy... but it is a "kids" movie... so these should entice the kids over to the virtual side of boxing as well.
Have fun!
Seeing Double
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 20, 2007 5:22pm
Thread Board
There's two of them out there?

http://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.html?gMemberId=9030
http://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.html?gMemberId=8652

Or has there been a body snatching... Dixie has been way too quiet lately...
Reply to: #73393 by Mama Cache
Feb 20, 2007 5:28pm
Thread Board
you are so clever...
Reply to: #73393 by Mama Cache
Feb 20, 2007 5:29pm
Thread Board
Thanx so much for all the answers to my burning questions. i now have an more of idea of what to expect when i attend my first event. i would have never thought of the clothespin cootie! You letterboxing people are either:
1. very clever people
2. have way too much time on your hands
3. can't stand to see any carving material go to waste
4. love having a good time in life
5. all of the above

deniserows,
letterboxes, gardens, hikes, and is currently carving cooties
clearance logbooks galore!
Board: Tools of the Trade
Feb 20, 2007 5:33pm
Board
OMG you guys, I found a TON of these great little logbooks at Hobby Lobby in the clearance corner today. Loew Cornell brand, 4 x 6 inches, 50 pages. They are sketch books and come with markers or colored pencils. Spiral bound with nice plastic covers, pretty thick pages that are unruled. Very nice and handy, great size. There were $2.99 marked down to #1.07. I bought eight of them. It's so tempting to go and grab up the rest! Just wanted to share!

Becky :)
Reply to: #73390 by JennieGee
Feb 20, 2007 5:36pm
Thread Board
Quote If you do make it a new hybrid, I would still put it on GC. I think we should keep up their exposure to all things letterboxing. That's how the others learn.

Red Soup

I agree with Red Soup. I've had great success with posting letterbox hybrids (which are simply letterboxes -- a stamp and a logbook -- with coordinates at or near the box location). You don't need to allow trinkets in the box. I specifically say no trinkets, no trades because I think trading trinkets increases the chance that the stamp could get traded out. I think Kirbert is referring to that type of hybrid i.e. it has both trinkets and a stamp.

Letterbox hybrids are slowly catching on. There are now about 3 other geocachers in my area that are planting letterbox hybrids. None of the letterbox hybrids that I've found included trinkets.

I put this note in the tupperware container to help geocachers:
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lone-r/images/make_a_letterbox/box-note-do-not-trade-large.gif

Lone R
Re: Seeing Double
Reply to: #73401 by The Wolf Family
Feb 20, 2007 5:39pm
Thread Board
Yeah, I've not heard a peep out of her for a while. Has softball season started?

Knit wit
Elya's First Encounter
Board: Dungeons and Dragons
Feb 20, 2007 5:40pm
Thread Board
"Is this it - after all tha' talk aboot Dwarven culture and tha need ta find myself, yer jest gonna let me go?" She spread her arms and looked to the ceiling... but, like the first five times after Moradin had vanished, she recieved no answer. And, like the first five times, the door was still there. She sighed - 'Na much else to do, Ah suppose. She put her hand on the knob of the wooden door and hesitated for a moment... it looked normal. But what if...
She gripped her axe tightly in her hand and readied herself. Whatever might happen next... She grimaced, and opened the door.
The hiss and pop of a trap going off took her aback for a moment, adrenaline rising. She staggered momentarily, then shook of a feeling of sleep. 'Ah knew it' she thought 'it's naught to be so easy....' and then swallowed hard. Ahead of her was something....
"Wha, ye give me a door only to find this... you're cracked!"" she yelled to the ceiling.
It grinned.
Elya looked again. It couldn't be... and yet.
It spoke. Issued a challenge. Suggested that her bravery was less than that a Woman of the Dwarven Nations should posess.
And then it swung... and missed.
Elya returned the blow and sunk home with her axe. After that, it wasn't clear who said what. It swung, she returned. Words were exchanged (someone called the other a wench... someone had the audacity to call the other a "spawn of a goblin" and a "naked globule of stink') blows were given and returned. All that she did remember was that it had been there... and as she stood from the body, pocketing what valuables were left, she wondered what it all meant. Was Moradin trying to kill her? Or was this something that would have happened anyway - and he was trying to help. Or maybe this didn't have anything to do with him at all... and he was just watching from the sidelines, waiting. But for what.
She glanced around her. Nothing. Walls and a floor and a naked corpse of a thing. She could see the room she just came from through the wooden door but so far... this was it. She sat against the wall, put the axe on her knees, and looked at the sky. "Is this it, Moradin? What be next?"
Re: CARS series
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #73400 by mudflinginfools
Feb 20, 2007 5:41pm
Thread Board
Well, maybe they'd be easy if I 'd seen the movie 50 times too. I was only able to get one of them off the top of my head. I'll try to research the rest later.

Knit wit
Re: Seeing Double
Reply to: #73401 by The Wolf Family
Feb 20, 2007 5:43pm
Thread Board
Quote Or has there been a body snatching... Dixie has been way too quiet lately...

I noticed this!!!

Dixie and I were emailing this weekend, and she was supposed to drop something by my house ....... and didn't...............

She emailed and said plans had changed, not to worry.

Or someone SAYING they were "Dixie" said plans had changed...........

I'm thinking body snatching too!! Yep, I'm worried now....................... :-(

Mama Fox
Reply to: #73405 by Lone R
Feb 20, 2007 5:46pm
Thread Board
I also don't allow trinkets in my letterbox hybrids. I do allow Travel Bugs, Geocoins and letterbox hitch hikers. These are all self contained items with there own instructions. I figure if I allow HH, then GCoins and TB's are only fair plus I really like them!
I have serval other caches too, one is a theme cache with only Girl Guide/Girl Scout and similar organizations patches and pins. I have a micro that I can see from my living room window, it is so cool to watch someone find it!

I do love these games! I'm such a Nancy Drew wannabe! lol.

Red Soup
Re: Eco-boxing -- Size of Texas.
Reply to: #73355 by Green Tortuga
Feb 20, 2007 5:48pm
Thread Board
Quote I love the idea using the methane they produce for power, turning them into golf courses, and mining them for whatever materials we can reuse.

We live about 2 miles from just such a golf course--also has tennis courts, soccer fields and a mountain bike trail. Never knew that it was a former landfill until someone got burned by some methatne out there. They have increased the methane vents, now. It's a beautiful area.
Chickadee