A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Ticks!!!
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #657036 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2011 6:21pm
Thread Board
Permethrin-based sprays on clothing kill them.

Does any type work well or are they all the same? do you soak your clothes or spray it on? I am really tired of the tick bites and find myself wishing for the mosquitoes again.
Re: Ticks!!!
Reply to: #658153 by DevilinDog
Nov 26, 2011 6:23pm
Thread Board
I rather deal with ticks than mosquitos!
Re: Salisbury Ct - Another hiking adventure Trail conditions
Reply to: #657853 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2011 6:25pm
Thread Board
We found the AT in Salisbury Ct to be in great shape today. We heard that they had over 2 feet of snow in the October storm. A few large blow-downs and a few branches that's all.
We also did 2 small sections of the Mohawk Trail in Cornwall and found them to be in excellent condition. We're thinking that most of the foliage had fallen before the storm and this kept any damage to the minimum. Boxed Penwood State Park (Bloomfield/Simsbury)on Friday and saw extensive damage but the trails were cleared and in great shape.
Re: Deer ticks
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #658079 by Purple Gem and Tou Ron Ron
Nov 26, 2011 6:43pm
Thread Board
Good to hear we are not the only ones having this problem. We heard they die off after the first frost. I guess it isn't true since I had about 6 on me today and my husband had about a dozen.
Re: Survey on how you spent Black Friday
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #658026 by Raven
Nov 26, 2011 6:45pm
Thread Board
Sounds like a great dog!
Re: DUMMB Event
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #658151 by SunnySmile
Nov 26, 2011 6:46pm
Thread Board
Agreed... nice to meet those who we see on the "boards" . Wonderful day.

Beardog
Re: Embossing powders and supplies
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #658135 by Blue Delft
Nov 26, 2011 6:47pm
Thread Board
Ok, completely low tech and cheap: I used regular ink, cursor embossing powder and my hair dryer on high to make our wedding invitations. They came out fine. Clear embossing powder with sparkle!!

~tigs the thrifty
Reply to: #658159 by tiggermama
Nov 26, 2011 7:20pm
Thread Board
I have an embossing gun, yet I do not have a blow dryer. Does that say anything?
Reply to: #658134 by jeeves
Nov 26, 2011 7:22pm
Thread Board
It was a great event on such a beautiful day! KJ did a wonderful job at carrying on the DUMMB tradition. It was great to see everyone there!
Re: New "old" boxes
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #658161 by System
Nov 26, 2011 7:24pm
Thread Board
Why is it that some old LBNA boxes are showing up in the newest boxes here on AQ?

They probably just got added on AQ.

....but that's just my guess....
Reply to: #658158 by Beardog
Nov 26, 2011 7:24pm
Thread Board
Well, I just wanted to thank everyone who came to the Dummb Event for making it such a great day even if we lost ( Granny ). It was a bunch of laughs and even some fun thrown in there. I was so happy to meet new boxers and catch up with the older ones. What a family we have!!
Be safe and Love one another!!
KJ
Re: What size O-wires do you use?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #658115 by Dizzy
Nov 26, 2011 7:28pm
Thread Board
Bind It All machine by Zutter.

What do you think about the spiral binding machines?
Re: Oddest place to encounter other letterboxers
Reply to: #658113 by antimony
Nov 26, 2011 7:30pm
Thread Board
We encountered letterboxers in a park at our 1st event standing in what appeared to be a line for a port-a-john. This particular lady had a clipboard in her hand and if she hadn't been a letterboxer, I'm sure she woulda whacked Mr. p-pack over the head with it considering the way he approached her (quickly and excitedly) to ask her if she was letterboxing.

Christy
Reply to: #658161 by System
Nov 26, 2011 7:36pm
Thread Board
I'm guessing AQ folks are adopting gone missing LBNA boxes.
Reply to: #658160 by RDHG
Nov 26, 2011 7:37pm
Thread Board
I have an embossing gun, yet I do not have a blow dryer. Does that say anything?

That you dry your hair with an embossing gun???? Maybe?!?

Just thinking about the possibilities!
bluebirdlover
Reply to: #658167 by Wronghat
Nov 26, 2011 7:38pm
Thread Board
I'm guessing AQ folks are adopting gone missing LBNA boxes.

Just a reminder, however.... if you adopt a box on LbNA, you still need to get the owner's permission before listing it on AQ!

-- Ryan
To dump, or not to dump?
Board: Yakking It Up
Nov 26, 2011 7:40pm
Thread Board
We went to the movies today. I went with DH into one movie, and DS and Grandparents into another. Later this evening at dinner, sans the Grandparents, DS tells me that Grandma dumped all her trash on the floor afterward. I'm appalled, but then DH said maybe it was Ok to do this with her generation. Was it ever Ok to do this??
Re: What size O-wires do you use?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #658115 by Dizzy
Nov 26, 2011 7:43pm
Thread Board
Bind It All machine by Zutter.

It really needs to be in the glossary.

It'll be in the Next Big Update. =)

-- Ryan
Re: To dump, or not to dump?
Reply to: #658170 by Raven
Nov 26, 2011 7:44pm
Thread Board
Not IMO. Speaking as one of Grandma's generation, my observation is that it's the younger generations that seem to be lacking in that kind of responsibility.
Re: Got this used...now what?! lol
Board: Picture Perfect
Reply to: #658112 by Puppy Pals
Nov 26, 2011 7:44pm
Thread Board
I received my manual in the mail today. =) charged the battery and spent about 45 minutes getting more confused. I think I will just do the Auto settings for a while. then learn a new tricks a little at a time. This thing does so much!!

~Aurora
Re: Friend with Uterine Cancer
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #657749 by Dizzy
Nov 26, 2011 7:45pm
Thread Board
Oh no, so sorry to hear that! She continues to be in my prayers, and so do you. I'm sure that having a freind like you is a great blessing to her. bluesky
Re: To dump, or not to dump?
Reply to: #658172 by Boxer Lover47
Nov 26, 2011 7:45pm
Thread Board
my observation is that it's the younger generations that seem to be lacking in that kind of responsibility.

My kid is 8 and said he hung a bit behind so he could quickly pick up what he could without her seeing him do it.
Adopt my boxes?
Nov 26, 2011 7:46pm
Thread Board
Howdy! A year after Firestarter's stroke, he is doing much better. BUT, I have to admit that maintaining boxes (never mind planting them) is not possible. Even letterboxing is not in the cards, right now. If you would like to adopt any or all of my currently planted boxes, please AQmail me. I may not check back right away, but we can figure out how to change me to the planter only, and you to the owner. Thanks and happy boxing!
Adopt my RI boxes?
Board: State: Rhode Island
Nov 26, 2011 7:48pm
Board
I can no longer maintain my boxes. If you would like to adopt my Rhode Island boxes, please AQmail me. It may take me a bit to get back onto AQ, since life has gotten quite a bit hectic. But, I will get back to you and we can figure out how to make me the planter and you the owner. And, happy boxing!
Re: Florida Vacation
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #658085 by Three FLAmigo's
Nov 26, 2011 7:50pm
Thread Board
I'm sorry! I've been there every year since '99 and although I was ID'd to pick up tickets it was only at will call and not when I entered the gates. And when they did the finger print thing it was my 2 fingers and was always giving me a hard time. It's changed vastly since we started going for sure. Back then you could just enter and hand your tickets out the fence or say you lost them (I had a dirty friend that lived life that way).
Re: Mashed potatoes
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #658116 by 2 Irish Chicks
Nov 26, 2011 7:53pm
Thread Board
Do you have a good recipe for shepard's pie??

Really whatever you like.
a very basic pie would have:

1-1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
1 small onion chopped
veggie of your choice (green beans, carrots, corn, peas)
leftover mashed potatoes for the top.
salt pepper and worstershire sauce
1 Tbs flour and water

cook ground beef with onions.
mix flour and water add to meat mixture, let cook a few minutes, add worstershire
pour into the bottom of a baking dish 8x8, or 9 x 12 depending on your amounts
layer veggie on top of meat, then potatoes on top of that
sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake 30-35 minutes at 350degrees.

you can make it as fancy as your want from there. mixing the veggies, adding different spices,
its a very simple go to dish for leftovers.

~Aurora
Reply to: #658160 by RDHG
Nov 26, 2011 8:02pm
Thread Board
Let me say I have both but can locate my embossing gun quicker than the hair dryer and I use the embossing gun more than I have the other.
Not a swap tracker up...
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Nov 26, 2011 8:13pm
Thread Board
Firestarter, my DH, had a stroke a year ago. He is doing MUCH better, but life has changed a lot for us. I do not have time to create or trade LTCs right now. AND, I need the space where my large collection is stored. I don't want to put them in the attic, but instead want them shared. So, please see this tracker for more info. AND, pleasepleaseplease, if you do not think this is appropriate for your LTCs, just let me know and follow the instructions later in the tracker. I adore LTCs and do not want to offend anyone. So, peace! to you all, and here is the tracker:
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=5999
Re: Woohoo!!!
Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #658140 by FORAYCH
Nov 26, 2011 8:16pm
Thread Board
Rose Bowl against Wisconsin or Michigan State?

Championship

LSU - Alabama

Rose

Oregon - Wisconsin

Orange

Va Tech - WVU

Fiesta

Oklahoma State - Stanford

Sugar

Houston - Boise State

But I am pulling for Georgia just to screw things up!
Re: Mashed potatoes
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #658179 by The hicks from the sticks
Nov 26, 2011 8:19pm
Thread Board
Ahhhh... there is where I always kept going wrong.......

Wendy
* off to scratch off 3 Shepherds
and write... 1 Lb. ground beef *