Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Never wake a sleeping baby
Board: Postals
Jul 8, 2011 6:21am
Thread Board
My sleepy dragon has come home from the Phee McFaddell ring. I would like to fill up this logbook before I create a new one and turn him into a traditional.

I am asking for speedy turn around time (less than the normal 5-7 days) so I can get him back before winter.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=5589

Please read the tracker for additional notes.

WiseMama
Re: Carving Small Details
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #619571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 8, 2011 6:34am
Thread Board
I carve with an X-acto knife and I get very good detail. I use a lighted magnifying glass and I couldn't carve without it. The difference is astounding and I highly recommend it.
Book tracker, anyone?
Jul 8, 2011 6:44am
Thread Board
Is anyone interested in participating in an altered book tracker? I haven't created one yet but am itching to and think it would be great to launch the books in November, or perhaps the beginning of the year. We could then plant our books at local libraries or book stores :)
Who's in?
-Di
Re: poison ivy wipes.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #617830 by Kirbert
Jul 8, 2011 6:51am
Thread Board
How would you ever know how effective they are? I tromp over poison ivy all the time and rarely come up with a rash, primarily because I stomp on the plants rather than push through them

Well I do the same thing. The urushiol oil residue can remain on your boots or clothing for a while. The wipes aren't used until after you've had a "run-in" with said suspicious plant. I used to "hop" over the plants. My daughter watched me do this and begain doing the same thing on a scout hiking trip ~ hopping over ALL the green plants in the middle of the trail. LOL, so silly. Now she just looks for leaves of 3.

I know Stinkerbell carries Poison Ivy soap and bathes in it at the end of the day. She's had some success with this, but it never helps when you actually sit on urushiol ;)
Re: i am BRAND new...question?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #619574 by System
Jul 8, 2011 7:15am
Thread Board
Welcome!

The hitchhiker question seems to have been answered. But I just wanted to wecome you to the hobby. I started this with my daughters, since they love both treasuring hunting/following clues, and they love stamps. Now I'm into it much more for ME. : )

Hope you have a sucessful weekend. But remember, even if you might come up short, enjoy the hunt and know that it happens to everyone now and then.
Re: Book tracker, anyone?
Reply to: #619590 by Sarcasmo
Jul 8, 2011 7:17am
Thread Board
I might be!

x'ingpaths
Re: While Team MudCupStar went south playin'
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #619481 by WiseMama
Jul 8, 2011 7:18am
Thread Board
I SO agree!!!
Reply to: #619590 by Sarcasmo
Jul 8, 2011 7:20am
Thread Board
That sounds like such a cool idea. would like to know more details on how that works. How do you keep the librarians from finding the book and not throwing them out? Is that something that would need prior permission from the library?
Re: WOM Clues
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:20am
Thread Board
"It's behind the sign that says 'DANGER cliff' "

Shiloh
Reply to: #619597 by Sea Maid
Jul 8, 2011 7:22am
Thread Board
You should get permission. Librarians are definately aware of what goes on in their libraries .
Re: new to this hobby
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #619307 by Green Tortuga
Jul 8, 2011 7:23am
Thread Board
Some people like magnificent stamps while some people love Star Trek.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. I've seen some magnificent Star Trek stamps! ;)

TG
Re: Never wake a sleeping baby
Reply to: #619588 by WiseMama
Jul 8, 2011 7:25am
Thread Board
Waaa he's already full :(
Texas Art Educators Association.
Board: Event News and Planning
Jul 8, 2011 7:26am
Thread Board
TAEA is having their 50th anniversary conference in Galveston. Are there any letterboxers going to that event and does anyone plan to do any boxing while in Galveston? You have to be a member of TAEA to go to the conference, but Im sure some of us have gotten into boxing. I cant possibly be the only one! It's being held in October or November in Galveston.
Jul 8, 2011 7:26am
Thread Board
I've gotten something similar -- someone asking for how to decrypt an encrypted clue. They asked me and everyone who had logged it. They didn't have any finds for any of my other boxes (which you would need in order to decrypt the clue).

[._.]
Re: My Goof Up Was A Winner
Reply to: #619443 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:29am
Thread Board
Print a draft on your paper so you can see where it prints. Then tape a piece of baking parchment

This is the same thing I do when using packing tape. Print it then tape over it. You don't need to go buy parchment paper just use clear packing tape. This is the same method as using the backing sheet from lables or using the clear over head projector transparancies. FYI

Shiloh
Reply to: #619423 by Beach Bum TX
Jul 8, 2011 7:30am
Thread Board
So you used the stamp cleaner and toner?

Shiloh
Re: Never wake a sleeping baby
Reply to: #619602 by Littlemonkey
Jul 8, 2011 7:31am
Thread Board
Waaa he's already full :(

:-( That filled in an hour!
Reply to: #619605 by shiloh
Jul 8, 2011 7:32am
Thread Board
shiloh, I've done this with transparencies (for like a year) and didn't get nearly the same quality of consistent usable result. For me, the cost of a roll of parchment was well worth it.
mailboxing
Jul 8, 2011 7:34am
Thread Board
I had to laugh when I got a nice message from my non-letterboxer friend who said, "Hope the summer is allowing you a little fun, mailboxing, perhaps..." :-)
Reply to: #619608 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:36am
Thread Board
didn't get nearly the same quality of consistent usable result

Ok. I just thought I'd mention it. I've been able to get transfers so detailed I can't possibly carve that small.

Shiloh
Jul 8, 2011 7:38am
Thread Board
Hit the Delete

deniserows
descisively
Play Musical Chairs LTCs
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jul 8, 2011 7:59am
Board
I still have a Musical Chairs card by Electric Medic. The first person to e-mail me at AQ with a Musical card to trade that I have not had gets it.
Re: Musical Chairs LTC 2011
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #618200 by nosox
Jul 8, 2011 8:01am
Thread Board
I have one by Electric Medic. Want to trade? The Woodwhittler
Re: Easter egg planted!
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #619540 by Okie Dog
Jul 8, 2011 8:03am
Thread Board
...Were there other people there besides you all? If you can stand the heat that may be the best time to go, no muggles to contend with, huh? In this heat.....

Surprisingly, yes. It was actually pretty busy for how hot it was, at least in my opinion. The trails we went on were empty because they were tougher hikes, but we didn't put them too far down the trail because it was so stinkin hot. We wanted to go down another trail but there was a sign that said it was a steep trail and with GG's ankle messed up and my hypoglycemia (hadn't eaten), we decided against it. I knew I could make it down but wasn't sure I'd make it back up. If I eat in that hot of heat, I get sick, so I couldn't eat and I was shaky.
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 8, 2011 8:06am
Thread Board
And we should be doing something productive!

I did! I found 2 boxes, searched for another 5, and planted 3 yesterday! In 109° weather, no less!!!
Re: mailboxing
Reply to: #619610 by roo
Jul 8, 2011 8:08am
Thread Board
You would be surprised the people that call it that when we have explained .....and gotten that glazed look from them after!
Re: HH lost in a geocache
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #619538 by The Royal Fish
Jul 8, 2011 8:10am
Thread Board
I suspect may a HH has met their demise this way!!
Re: Purchasing a bike for letterboxing
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #619584 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 8, 2011 8:11am
Thread Board
MN8x may be able to help. Eagle Eyes and she likely are the folks to check with. Great family.
Re: Purchasing a bike for letterboxing
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #619584 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 8, 2011 8:15am
Thread Board
Hi Tri-Colored Paws,

I used to own a bike shop, so here goes some facts first.....

Road Bike.....skinny, high pressure tires must be at full inflation or you will suffer "pinch-flats" just entering an average driveway. Check tire pressure EVERY RIDE! High maintenance. Pretty useless on a gravel road, let alone a "trail". They are very efficient. That's why they are used for racing.

Touring Bike.....Heavier duty road bike. Check tire pressure twice a week. Less efficient, but more forgiving of rough roads. Still pretty "sketchy" on a gravel road.

Cross Bike.....(Do they still make these?) A touring bike with Mountain Bike handlebars and knobbier, slightly wider tires. Slightly better on a trail if it is pretty well maintained and not a loose surface.

Mountain Bike.....(Thinking of the least expensive here) Will handle trails fine and can still be ridden on roads. Most forgiving for air pressure. Check once a week. High pressure road tires are also available. You could switch back and forth as the need presents itself. Upright handlebars that put you in a position similar to being on the top portion of the road bike's handle bar. As the handle bar gets higher the front wheel loses traction in the turns.

Suspension Mountain Bike.....The heaviest, least efficient, and most "secure" on loose terrain. The most work to ride "up" the hills, but has the best traction when flying down those same hills.

Unicycles or recumbents are also made that could be used in any situation if they are designed accordingly.

So.......personally.......I like a mountain bike with two wheel sets (Road tires/off-road tires) for my one bike that can be used in the most extremes.

Hope it's not too confusing for you....
Y~K b
Re: i am BRAND new...question?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #619574 by System
Jul 8, 2011 8:15am
Thread Board
Welcome to Letterboxing! Looks like you are getting some great answers, so I'm going to hijack this thread and invite you to join us at Stamp Odyssey in September! I had an injury that prevented me from letterboxing and when I came back to boxing, I realized I missed a huge event that was closeby that I would have loved to go to, so I'm letting you know about this one since you are in the midwest. If you choose to attend Stamp Odyssey, you can come for the weekend or just come up for the day. I think most of the stuff will be happening Saturday but there will still be boxing on Friday and Sunday. I hope you can join us! It will be my first big event so I'm looking forward to it!